The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

I'm with you Maklershed, I have 74 360 games on my shelf lol and I'm prob playing something like 10 of them in a rotation so yea Oblivion is fun but takes up way too much time.

Wow ive had this game lock up on my 3 times today. One time it corrupted my save file, but it was good it was only the autosave.

Finished the mages guild missions. Now im making my own armor. Pretty much all Daedric. I a added 2 sigil stones that fortify 50 points of magic, and 2 sigil stones that feather me 125 points. I got the chameleon magic so i pretty much breeze through caves and forts now. So i really dont need armor that gives me anything other than magic or more weight to carry stuff.

Ok its official I've unsubscribed from this thread now.
Unsubscribe190.jpg

Finished the Mages Guild quests, so now I can team up with another Mage to do some quests. I went back to Chorral to check out my Guildmaster chest, but it contained no loot. Maybe I didn't wait long enough?

Is there any reason to have that adoring fan follow you around all the time? He can't carry any loot for you, can he?

I stopped playing this because the Thieves Guild quest I was doing was a pain in the ass, but I need to start playing it again. Been too damn side tracked by newer games and my damn Gears addiction.

So im about 130 hours in and still playing the regular game. I beat the thieves guild and now am working on the Brotherhood one. I came down with vampirism, and it was cool at first. But when i was trying to do some missions it became annoying how i couldnt go out in the day light. So i just finished the quest to find the cure for it and took it. Now i can finally get back to the Brotherhood quests.

I think there was a glitch though. A little after i got the vampire disease, i would get those messages when i waited, and not when i slept. I thought those were supposed to be dreams from sleeping. No big deal, but i thought that was messed up.

I also beat the main story so all the gates are closed now. I think after the brotherhood quests im pretty much done though. Unless i missed some random civilian quests in a town. But i havent even put in shivering isles or knights of the nine.

Have a quick question. I just rented the GOTY edition from Gamefly and its been a really enjoyable game. I'm 19 hours in and level 3 and having a great time.

Anyway, since it looks like its going to take me forever to play this all the way through, I want to send it back and buy a copy (I like to use gamefly to see if I like the game enough to purchase). I know its been said on this thread that if you have the original disc you can just use the 2nd GOTY disc and load the data on to the hard drive and play the additonal content. However, since I first used the GOTY disc 1 to load the game on with, do I have to buy a GOTY edition Disc 1 to play with or can I "backtrack" and use a regular Oblivion disc? Will my game recognize if I am no longer using the GOTY disc that I used to install the game with? I am thinking of picking up the Oblivion/Bioshock bundle, which only includes the "origional" Oblivion content.

[quote name='Faithful']Have a quick question. I just rented the GOTY edition from Gamefly and its been a really enjoyable game. I'm 19 hours in and level 3 and having a great time.

Anyway, since it looks like its going to take me forever to play this all the way through, I want to send it back and buy a copy (I like to use gamefly to see if I like the game enough to purchase). I know its been said on this thread that if you have the original disc you can just use the 2nd GOTY disc and load the data on to the hard drive and play the additonal content. However, since I first used the GOTY disc 1 to load the game on with, do I have to buy a GOTY edition Disc 1 to play with or can I "backtrack" and use a regular Oblivion disc? Will my game recognize if I am no longer using the GOTY disc that I used to install the game with? I am thinking of picking up the Oblivion/Bioshock bundle, which only includes the "origional" Oblivion content.[/QUOTE]
Seems like you only use the 2nd disc to install the updates and after that it's done.
Don't see why you wouldn't be able to backtrack, its no different than loading up the DLC.

Anyways, I just started this game and just finished up the 1st "chapter". I got killed a LOT. I made the big mistake of sending away the dude that supposed to help you and I was only at level 1. I'm in desperate need of leveling up...
Anyways, good game. I'm playing as a night elf.
I'm wondering though, can you be in more than 1 guild?

Yes i joined all the guilds. I did both mages and fighters guiled at the same time too.

Man i just beat shivering isles, and it was pretty good. But after i finished the main game and Knights of the nine, i was exhausted of this game. I just wanted to get Shivering Isles over with. I still might go on and see if i can do some side missions for fun, but i got all the achievements. Fun game and it took me about 150 hours to beat the main game, KOTN, and Shivering Isles. But after that im looking for a different genre to play LOL. Ive had my fix of FPRPPG.

Okay, I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes", but... If a friend of mine has the GOTY Edition, I can just copy the DLC from the disc to my hard drive and then have it available to play whenever I want, correct? I'd love to finish the main quest of Oblivion and then delve into the Shivering Isles once I wrap up Fallout 3.

[quote name='Matt Young']Okay, I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes", but... If a friend of mine has the GOTY Edition, I can just copy the DLC from the disc to my hard drive and then have it available to play whenever I want, correct? I'd love to finish the main quest of Oblivion and then delve into the Shivering Isles once I wrap up Fallout 3.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Oh, one more question- why is the leveling so slow? It's much, much slower than Fallout's. I'm a level 8 after playing 50 hours. A friend of mine is a level 49.... I just messaged him to see how many hours he has put in. That seems impossible, unless the expansions provide much greater leveling opportunities.

[quote name='Matt Young']Oh, one more question- why is the leveling so slow? It's much, much slower than Fallout's. I'm a level 8 after playing 50 hours. A friend of mine is a level 49.... I just messaged him to see how many hours he has put in. That seems impossible, unless the expansions provide much greater leveling opportunities.[/QUOTE]

You aren't fighting enough for sure. A good 20-30 hours (guess-timation) should be able to get you up into the level Teens/early level 20s. Just exploring doesn't give you enough experience, you have to fight to level up your skills. The problem is that when you are so low level, you can only compete with Wolves/Rats, and those things are pretty hard to come by unless you find a dungeon somewhere.

The reason you don't level up as fast as in Fallout 3 is because in Fallout you are constantly in shootouts, in Oblivion you aren't.

The enemies actually level along with the player. But I've done as much fighting as is possible without going evil and killing innocents/guards. My friend who has the GOTY edition just told me that the only (or at least most effective) means of leveling is to develop your primary skills.

At least one of my primary skills is one I rarely use. Being new to these types of games and not knowing what to expect, I chose Heavy Armor as one of mine. I almost always wear light armor, though. I am not about to restart with so much time invested in the game, either. I guess I'll have to start using the abilities I chose more effectively.

Hey folks. I have the GotY Ed. I've completed the Arena, Mage's Guild, Fighter's Guild, Thieves Guild, and a couple missions of the Dark Brotherhood. Once I finish that, I'm debating whether to finish the main quest and then do Shivering Isles or vice versa. Any opinions? Also, is Knights of the Nine worth doing? I suspect I may be ready to move on by the time I knock out all of the achievements. Doing too many sidequests unrelated to the guilds or the main quest is what burned me out initially and led me to put the game down for a year. But I'm enjoying it a lot more since picking it back up a couple months ago and focusing on the guild quests.

To the guy frustrated with the Thieves Guild quests: Find the Nocturnal's Daedric shrine (search online and you'll find info on where it is) and complete that sidequest. Your reward is
the Skeleton Key, which is essentially an unbreakable lockpick that bumps your Security skill up like 30 points or something. So you can basically pick any lock since you have unlimited chances to throw the tumblers.

I'd finish up the main quest and then move on to Shivering Isles as it's pretty much a separate game with it's own story etc.

Nights of the Nine is ok, but nothing great.

I played through it all last year--just did all the guild quests, the arena, main quest, knights of the nine and shivering isles. Like you, after a while I avoided doing random sidequests that had no achievements attached as they're usually lame and repetitive and the game is too damn long already! Took me 80 some hours to do all that.

I got all but 20 or 30 achievement points. There's one point in the Shivering Isles where you have to choose a side to become duke and it gives you an achievement. Make sure you have a save before the choosing so you can load and make the other decision to get the other achievement.

You guys are making me want to go back and pick this up again (I've been playing a lot of Dragon Age lately). I still have a lot left to do in Oblivion, including both expansions.

I played through the regular story, got all of the achievements, then went on to the shivering isles and got burnt out real quick, just couldn't take anymore oblivion. I'd suggest doing the main story line first though and then trying to go on to the expansion. It sure adds a lot more to the game though.

anyone else get stuck in a dungeon with no way out. there were skeletons and alot of picking locks. i got to one and it was "hard" couldnt get it to open and wasted all my locks and when i tried to go back there was a gate in the way.

i had to start over and im wondering if there are more "stuckable" dungeons like this.

I hope they announce a sequel that won't be coming out till at least late 2011. I need to finish Oblivion, play the whole Shivering Isles, finish Fallout 3 and its DLC, and then there's New Vegas. Augh, so many games...

I need to get my glitch back on in this game. It's funny to watch a huge stack of scrolls or health potions go spilling across the floor.

[quote name='shieryda']I need to get my glitch back on in this game. It's funny to watch a huge stack of scrolls or health potions go spilling across the floor.[/QUOTE]

Why bother glitching when you could just dial down the difficulty slider and not need all of those scrolls or potions in the first place?

[quote name='Tybee']Why bother glitching when you could just dial down the difficulty slider and not need all of those scrolls or potions in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

The combat sucks anyway, so I had no problem dialing it down a few clicks. Same with Fallout 3--put it clear down to very easy when getting my ass kicked early on, been on easy since getting leveled up and squared away on ammo.

These games are all about the exploration and questing, not the frankly crappy combat/challenge IMO. Too each their own of course, but I don't see the point of glitching when achievements aren't affected by difficulty level.

Plus in Oblivion you can just wait until you're out of combat (no enemies nearby) and use the wait feature to heal completely.

I usually use the potions for mana. And the scrolls that summon little dudes to help me fight. I'm playing on easy, too, I thin . It's just fun to do that crazy stuff.

Fair enough. I think mana refills when you use the wait feature as well though--been a year+ since I played though so not 100% sure.

This is a good game and I hope they announce the next one soon. I never got around to playing the DLC, but I had read about it. My save was on my brothers xbox 360, which he sold, including the hard drive. I don't really have the time to play through it all over again, but if I could have moved my save, I would probably buy the DLC to continue.

[quote name='Matt Young']I don't like lowering the difficulty that much. If the game doesn't challenge me, I lose interest. It is nice to have the option, though.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it should always be an option for the player IMO. Then every one can get what they want--be it an easy game to focus on exploring etc. or a challenge to keep them going.

[quote name='77Pat']This is a good game and I hope they announce the next one soon. I never got around to playing the DLC, but I had read about it. My save was on my brothers xbox 360, which he sold, including the hard drive. I don't really have the time to play through it all over again, but if I could have moved my save, I would probably buy the DLC to continue.[/QUOTE]

Well, since the difficulty scales, you could always just play through the Shivering Isles with a new character. Knights of the Nine I'm not sure I'd bother with in terms of starting a new character.

Whats the best way to level in this game? I heard if you pick primary skills you actually use you end up leveling way too fast and getting your ass stomped.

I know that the opposite is true. I haven't checked in a while, but I'm not even sure if I reached double digits in my level after 50-70 hours played. I had no clue what I was doing when I picked my primary skills. I know one is heavy armor, which I hate and I always used light armor. Not sure about anything else. I will have to switch up my play style, I reckon, so I can meet the level requirements for all those side quests.

I can't believe this game came out 6 years ago. I just went back to it again this week. Trying to finish up the Dark Brotherhood questline. Still need to do the Thieves, and then the expansions. I didn't realize that I could still level up until last night, when I got up to 32 after sleeping.

I have Skyrim, but I'd much rather get all the chivos in this game first.

Oblivion is a classic for sure. It was flawed in some ways and Skyrim is probably regarded as being superior by most people, but this was a pivotal game.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Oblivion is a classic for sure. It was flawed in some ways and Skyrim is probably regarded as being superior by most people, but this was a pivotal game.[/QUOTE]

It was revolutionary for it's time, but it was also a very early 360 game and by comparison, it's pretty dated. I played the hell out of it years ago, and then lost interest. I picked up a copy over the summer for $1 and tried picking up where I left off, but after Skyrim, it just felt gimped.

And my character was a complete and utter bad ass, too.

I know what you're saying, and you hit the nail on exactly what I was getting it. For the time, Oblivion was incredible in graphics, gameplay, depth and storyline unlike most before it. At this point though, better things have come along...the circle of life I suppose.

You have to remember there's usually 5 years in between elder scrolls releases. A lot happens in 5 years. Even so, Oblivion had Radiant A.I. when it was released, which was a big deal. People had routines. They would make decisions to steal stuff. I had one quest NPC steal something and get himself killed.

Did many of you play Shivering Isles? I think I'm about halfway through, judging by the chivos. I just sided with House of Dementia, and got the Raiment of Arden-Sul. My carrying capacity dropped, but armor went up by 5 and my intelligence got increased by 11 (I tend to use a lot of spells during combat, so that is nice).

Fair trade-off, I guess. I just have to figure out which weapons I need to drop or sell. I don't really need to lug around 2 bows, a staff and a couple swords.

I have quite a bit of armor that I need to weed out, too.

So I just bought this yesterday because I wanted to learn more about TES lore and stuff like that, and I gotta say... It's different.

It's not a bad different, though. After playing Skyrim, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas, it's incredible to see something like this from Bethesda. Like a huge whallop with some club that magically sends you back in time! I mean, there's one year's difference between Oblivion and Fallout 3. ONE. fuckING. YEAR. And yet, it reminds me of the old Xbox games. Incredible! But that's not always bad... I find myself liking this "gimped" game's format better. I have no idea why, but it's more fun that Fallout, or Skyrim. Call me crazy, but it's true! It honestly reminds me of the Old Republic series in both graphics and gameplay/format. I'm loving it, and I really hope it continues to shine! Maybe I'll be able to get my hands on a copy of Morrowind soon...

[quote name='shieryda']Did you buy the GotY version?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Oblivion and Fallout 3 were released at least 2 years apart, if not more.[/QUOTE]

Whoops, sorry. Still, the difference is striking!

bread's done
Back