The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='cmart05']I don't know maybe it's just me... I played 10 minutes of the game and hated it. Returned it the same day.

Although I've read it starts out slow and you just need to give it time.. but...[/quote]

How can you judge ANY game in ten minutes of play?

[quote name='cmart05']I don't know maybe it's just me... I played 10 minutes of the game and hated it. Returned it the same day.

Although I've read it starts out slow and you just need to give it time.. but...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as the above guy said, how can you judge any game in 10 minutes?

Much less a game as long and complex (steep learning curve) as Oblivion).

It's definitely not for everyone, and I'd say it has the most flaws of any game I've enjoyed as much as I've enjoyed Oblivion thus far. But you have to give it a few hours to get used to the controls, menus, abilities, map/compass, and to take in the incredible amount of quests there are to do before you can really form a valid opinion.

[quote name='mykevermin']With the GOTY dropping to $30, it was going to happen anyway.

I have the 360 LE (rated T for Teen?) from a while back, and just got around to playing it in the past 3-4 weeks. I wish I could stop traveling so I could spend time at home playing the damned thing.

How do I access the GOTY content? How do I get to the Shivering Isles, IOW? I have the GOTY disc installed on my hdd, but dunno how to get there.[/quote]

Shivering isles- You should receive a quest stating that an island has appeared in Niben Bay. The door/portal to shivering isles is on that island

Knights of the Nine-talk to people in/around the Chapel in Anvil.

[quote name='Anexanhume']How can you judge ANY game in ten minutes of play?[/quote]

Easy, if I play for ten minutes and it fails to grab my attention, why would I bother to keep playing?

[quote name='cmart05']Easy, if I play for ten minutes and it fails to grab my attention, why would I bother to keep playing?[/QUOTE]

Because many games, especially RPGs, start slow and it takes more than 10 minutes to grab your attention. Many games are just getting the story set up, having tutorial modes to show you the ropes.

Guess you should just stick to action games. Western RPGs are definitely not for the ADHD crowd. Nothing wrong with not liking them, but it's no much more than a thread crap to open a thread on one and say you didn't like it after only giving it 10 minutes.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Because many games, especially RPGs, start slow and it takes more than 10 minutes to grab your attention. Many games are just getting the story set up, having tutorial modes to show you the ropes.

Guess you should just stick to action games. Western RPGs are definitely not for the ADHD crowd. Nothing wrong with not liking them, but it's no much more than a thread crap to open a thread on one and say you didn't like it after only giving it 10 minutes.[/quote]

I never said the game sucked. I never said it wasn't worth the hype. I made a comment, saying I played the game(obviously 10 minutes was an over exaggeration) and didn't enjoy it.

I love RPGs, much more than "action" game for you to mock me is pretty stupid.

We all have different tastes and I didn't find this game entertaining at all. So instead of getting all defensive, maybe you should have told me the reasons WHY I should have given this game more of a shot instead of making an assumption that I have ADHD, idiot.

[quote name='cmart05']I never said the game sucked. I never said it wasn't worth the hype. I made a comment, saying I played the game(obviously 10 minutes was an over exaggeration) and didn't enjoy it.

We all have different tastes and I didn't find this game entertaining at all. So instead of getting all defensive, maybe you should have told me the reasons WHY I should have given this game more of a shot instead of making an assumption that I have ADHD, idiot.[/quote]
Quit trolling and thread crapping. He gave you reasons, mainly being that you can't judge a game after only playing 10 minutes. You need to give it time so that you get used to the gameplay, story, etc. If you played for more than 10 minutes, say that next time, instead of thread crapping.

We already gave the reasons why.

It starts slow and has a steep learning curve. It takes a few hours to understand everything, and to grasp the scope of the game. There are a ton of options, the menus are a bit confusing, the map and compass system take getting used to. It just takes some time to figure everything out and really get sucked into the game.

There's no way 10 minutes can give anyone a sense of the game, it probably took me closer to 5 hours before I was fully sucked in. And I wasn't liking it much the first hour or so as the interface takes so much getting used to and the story is less linear and enthralling than in say Bioware RPGs or JRPGs.

Sorry for being an asshole, having a shitty day and I hate when people make comments about games they barely played espeically for RPGs which tend to take a few hours to get sucked into. :D

It's not a perfect game, like I said above it's probably the most flawed game I've played that I've enjoyed this much. As noted the menu's suck, weapon's degrading sucks, the map sucks, the compass sucks, there's a lot of slowdown and pop up, lots of glitches, it freezes up sometimes etc.. But at the end of the day the world is just so damn big and there's so many quests (with a lot of variety) that are so fun to do and explore that it's easy to over look the flaws.

So if you're really into western RPGs I hope you give it another shot and put some more time into it and see if you get sucked in.

Anybody have any advice on creating a character? I played this briefly for the PC, but mine couldn't really handle it, so I picked it up for the 360. I haven't gotten around to playing it, only because I remember looking at a character creation guide (so as to avoid doing anything really stupid to my character) and being completely overwhelmed. Is there any major pitfalls that I should avoid that would make playing with my character too difficult? I always like the idea of creating a stealth character, but a lot of times games have parts with unavoidable straight-up combat, and my guy becomes worthless.

I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it. I just new I didn't want a total stealth character (don't like sneaking around, though I have a lot) and didn't want a magic oriented character.

I ended up going with a dark elf scout, mainly because I enjoy R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Relams series so I tried to make my own Drizzt (the main character). Gave him the sign of the warrior as I wanted to be good with sword combat.

I put the difficulty 2-4 notches to the left and haven't had any problems. I wanted to just be able to explore the world and do quests, not play for any real challenge since it's really not a skill based game.

[quote name='Jasonofindy']Shivering isles- You should receive a quest stating that an island has appeared in Niben Bay. The door/portal to shivering isles is on that island

Knights of the Nine-talk to people in/around the Chapel in Anvil.[/QUOTE]

danke schoen.

165036__ferris_l.jpg

[quote name='cmart05']I never said the game sucked. I never said it wasn't worth the hype. I made a comment, saying I played the game(obviously 10 minutes was an over exaggeration) and didn't enjoy it.

We all have different tastes and I didn't find this game entertaining at all. So instead of getting all defensive, maybe you should have told me the reasons WHY I should have given this game more of a shot instead of making an assumption that I have ADHD, idiot.[/QUOTE]

"The ADHD crowd" doesn't necessarily imply that you actually have attention deficit hyperactive disorder. On the other hand, I do have ADHD and I love this game.

You said 10 minutes was an exaggeration (technically an understatement if you did play longer than that), but all I ask is this- did you get out of the sewers?

[quote name='mykevermin']How do I access the GOTY content? How do I get to the Shivering Isles, IOW? I have the GOTY disc installed on my hdd, but dunno how to get there.[/quote]
I think for the Knights of the Nine you have to seek out the Prophet, can't remember what town it is but it'll be a quest available to you in your journal (as stated above).

[quote name='cmart05']I don't know maybe it's just me... I played 10 minutes of the game and hated it. Returned it the same day.[/quote]
Though this bothers me, I have a co-worker that said the same thing. After 3 hours he still couldn't get into it. I can understand not getting into a game (having this problem with Fallout 3), but Oblivion captured my attention.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It starts slow and has a steep learning curve. It takes a few hours to understand everything, and to grasp the scope of the game. ... There's no way 10 minutes can give anyone a sense of the game, it probably took me closer to 5 hours before I was fully sucked in. [/quote]
It took me a good 5 hours as well, and once I realized you had to sleep in a bed to level up (went through 4 levels in about 2 minutes). I just love that I can build a character that I want to build. My Wood Elf is a sneaky little bastard that likes to pick people off with his bow and enrage people from the shadows (only to go invisible so the enraged attacks their own).

The game is not perfect, but it's WELL(!!!) worth the money you can pick it up for now. BTW, I'm 65 hours in and there is STILL a ton of shit left to do (that equates to less than $.50 per entertainment hour at this point).

I'm on the quest to find the band of female thieves who've luring the menfolk out out into the country and robbing them. I've spoken to Gogan's wife, and gone to the tavern to find out more. How long am I supposed to wait for these women to come and try to seduce me?

N/m: I had to speak to the Gogan dude first (I originally spoke to his wife, but that wasn't enough to trigger the females at the pub).

I've joined both the Fighter's and Mage's guilds now. It will be a while until I get back to the main campaign.

Has anyone done the Mehrune's Razor quest? Those bastards in the caves are tough!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've really been itching to get back to this game & finish up the last couple of Thieves Guild quests I have left. I've been considering picking up a disc-based Shivering Isles, but I'm curious if I'll have any issues with buying a used copy? Is it like the Halo 2 map pack where you can do multiple installs? If nothing else, I might just pick up the GOTY edition seeing as it's about the same price. I just don't want to get rid of my collector's edition :whistle2:?

I'm still loving the shit out this game. Up to around 54 hours. I've done the main quest, dark brother hood, fighter's guild, thieve's guild and arena (along with a variety of random side quests, shrine quests etc.). Think the mage's guild is all I have left to get the full 1000 achievement points in the main game and then I'll move on to the expansions.

A tip for those who haven't done the thieve's guild quest line (and useful in general)--be sure to do the Nocturnal Shrine quest after you hit level 10 (not available until then). It gives you the
skeleton key-and unbreakable lock pick
which makes things much less annoying.

[quote name='MtlTom']I've been considering picking up a disc-based Shivering Isles, but I'm curious if I'll have any issues with buying a used copy? Is it like the Halo 2 map pack where you can do multiple installs? [/QUOTE]

Yep, you can do multiple installs. And you don't' need the disc in the machine to play as you need the regular Oblivion disc (unless you installed it to your hard drive of course). It's just the DLC expansion on a disc that just installs them to your hard drive.

Yep. I owned an original copy of Oblivion (IIRC, I bought it before I ever owned a 360), and rented GOTY from GameFly. Just installed disc 2 and played the full game on my ol' original disc.

Yeah, unfortunately Gamefly doesn't rent it our anymore--wanted to do a free trial to get it. I have the orignal as well as it was available right away on Goozex and the GOTY edition was on long wait.

So I'm basically renting it from another CAG and mailing it back after installing it. Wasn't going to buy it since it's still $30 even though the GOTY edition has dropped to the $30. Plus a hassle to sell it off after installing anyway since I don't want a useless disc sitting around.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm still loving the shit out this game. Up to around 54 hours. I've done the main quest, dark brother hood, fighter's guild, thieve's guild and arena (along with a variety of random side quests, shrine quests etc.). Think the mage's guild is all I have left to get the full 1000 achievement points in the main game and then I'll move on to the expansions.

A tip for those who haven't done the thieve's guild quest line (and useful in general)--be sure to do the Nocturnal Shrine quest after you hit level 10 (not available until then). It gives you the
[/QUOTE]

I take it back - it was the Dark Brotherhood I have left to do. Whatever the last 2 ranks are & then I'll be done with the original 1000/1000.

Perhaps I'll have to look into trying to rent the GOTY edition or picking up a used copy of the Shivering Isles disc during the next GS B2G1.

Some (maybe all) Gamestops have caught onto the Shivering Isles disc being a one-time only thing. I saw copies of the game marked with a "non-refundable" tag here in SW Virginia. Stoopid jerks.

Finished the Mage's Guild last night and got the 1000 achievement points for the main game--only game I've gotten 1000 on.

I love how the achievements were just all tied to the main quests and the major sidequests. No tedious crap of having to replay the game, kill X number of monsters, no collecting crap, etc.

Perfect way to do it in this game as it gives motivation to spend the time doing all the major quest lines. Unlike Mass Effect where you have to play several times to get all the Ally achievements, weapons achievements etc.

Great game, and can't wait to get on to Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles.

Oh god Mass Effect, I never got the full points in that game, it was really tedious and annoying. The max amount of times I played through it was 2.

Shivering Isles was great, but I hated getting attacked every five seconds when walking around outside. I wanted to enjoy the cool scenery, not fight clunky, stupid tree things.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Oh god Mass Effect, I never got the full points in that game, it was really tedious and annoying. The max amount of times I played through it was 2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I loved the game but would never even try for all the achievements. I would like to get back to it and play it through once more though. Just use the same character and play as a bad guy. Would get some more points since I could play on hard, get the level 60 cap, get the two ally achievements I didn't my first time etc.

And I'm definitely getting Shivering Isles, will have it early next week in fact.

What level character would you guys recommend taking through Shivering Isles? I recently started up a new character, and I really want to jump into Shivering Isles, but I figure I should wait some and get my level up.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The game scales to your level, so you can go whenever you want.[/quote]

Yeah, I knew that, but I wasn't sure if there was still a recommended level. For example, the solider(s) that fight with you in Kvatch will almost always die immediately at the higher levels, but if you do that quest at lower levels, you can actually get them to survive.

I haven't played this game in ages, what a time waster lol. Glad I'm on break, one reason I wouldn't play this during classes was the affect it'd have on my school work. Just got to the Cloud Nine Temple place, had already done that part but on PC before.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Oh god Mass Effect, I never got the full points in that game, it was really tedious and annoying. The max amount of times I played through it was 2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, requiring a person to play through a game a minimum of 3 times just to get all 1000 is overkill. I started using the two characters I wanted to stick with for the ally achievements too late into the game, so I didn't unlock them during my first play through. That would push me up to having to play through the game 4 damn times to unlock everything.

Yeah same here, didn't get the ally achievement the first time through. Need to fire up a second play through to get that and a few other achievements as noted above. But I'll never try for them all.

[quote name='dmaul1114']A tip for those who haven't done the thieve's guild quest line (and useful in general)--be sure to do the Nocturnal Shrine quest after you hit level 10 (not available until then). It gives you the

.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I'll do the Thieves' after I finish either Mages' or Fighters' first. I suck at picking locks. If I buy a "open hard lock" spell, I should be able to use it to open locks at lower levels, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im about to start Oblivion tonight, but i am wondering what race is the best to use? Also if anyone has any advice to give me before i start playing, it would be great. Like is magic better, more fun to use compared to melee combat. Whats more effective? What attributes are the best to get?

Also i have shivering Isles from the GOTY game, i suppose i wont even use that disc until i finish the first disc correct?

I don't necessarily think one race is better than the others but I may be mistaken. I've used this site so many times, its very useful:http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion
Check out their in depth guides on the home page. I have Shivering Isles but I haven't gotten far enough in the main game, keep just fooling around or doing side quests, to feel the need to try the Shivering Isles quests.

The cool thing about SI is that you can start it pretty much any time after you reach a certain level (Can't remember what it is though) though Kot9 requires you to have done something to make you famous which can get done in about an hour of play.

I'd say playing the vanilla game (Which it obviously is, being the 360 version) magic is the way to go. Destruction is the basic fire and lightning stuff so that's a must have, and restoration to heal yourself. Beyond that get anything you want. If you do go magic, Breton works well. Dark Elf is good for hybrid classes though if you don't feel content with any one choice.

I played as Breton and Dark Elf races, I agree they're two of the better ones. Some advice: save the immediately before leaving the starting cave, as when you leave you have the option to change anything about your character. So, you can mess around in the starting cave/prison, then decide you want to be melee focus, for example, and change things around. Other recommendations - watch your leveling, this is not a game you should try and power level through, as the way enemies' levels scale, you could get in trouble quick. And the guild quests, of which there are many, are probably the best part of the game. Magic is an excellent way to go, I found archery fairly ineffective unless I was using stealth attacks. Last tip: I didn't enjoy how dark the caves were, and found a solution online - there's a night vision helmet you can get at any point in the game, it made exploring more enjoyable.

You will probably fuck up your first character no matter what. It happens to the best of us.

There are plenty of advice guides over at gamefaqs if you need one, though.

I don't think you will ever get stuck in the game with a poor character since you can adjust the difficulty at any time mid-game. There were a few parts for me that seemed impossible to get through, I lowered the difficulty, finished that part and put the difficulty back up to where it was.

I'd really encourage playing the type of character you want and not trying to min/max to create the most powerful thing out there.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I don't think you will ever get stuck in the game with a poor character since you can adjust the difficulty at any time mid-game. There were a few parts for me that seemed impossible to get through, I lowered the difficulty, finished that part and put the difficulty back up to where it was.

I'd really encourage playing the type of character you want and not trying to min/max to create the most powerful thing out there.[/QUOTE]

Well part of the reason I suggested magic is that if you realize that isn't the class you like you can just learn fortify skills to assist you in leveling said skills. Worst case you come out with the ability to heal yourself which is indespensible :lol:

If you're anything like me the best thing you can do to enhance the Oblivion experience is to remove the Oblivion disk, insert Fallout 3 and enjoy!

For some reason I just couldn't get into Oblivion (I got out of the sewer and that was about it for me) but I'm 12 hours into Fallout 3 in about 2 weeks time. OT...I know, but that was my two cents.

I made a Breton with Theft sign with Spellsword class. So far its alright. I have a ton of stuff that id like to sell but i dunno where to sell it. Its funny cos i once was carrying too much stuff, and i couldnt move. I must have missed the message saying i had too much stuff because i thought it was a glitch and loaded a previous save to where i start leaving the jail. LOL. Right now i have to go find this dudes son. I hope i enjoy the game, because so many people say its good. Its just that sometimes story driven games can go in one ear and out the other for me, and i dont remember half the story, or people names and other stuff. Oh, and thanks for the help.

If you get bored with the man quest just do other stuff. It's funny that the main story was far more boring to me then the side quests (Guilds and stuff)

I'm a pretty well-rounded Dark Elf. I'm a Master of Destruction now (using mostly fire and frost spells), and I'm slowly working up my Armorer and Sneak skills.

I've put about 70 hours in so far, and haven't felt the need to start either of the expansion games.

I also strongly recommend the Oblivion Wiki that others have mentioned. I have it bookmarked at home.:D

Oblivion has a weird system of giving quest rewards by your level. Certain abilities can only be obtained if you complete the quest at a high enough level (and once you complete it you cannot do the quest again). If this matters to you, might want to look up on an FAQ site to figure out the rewards for the quest before completing it. Also, make sure to hook up with the assassin guild - they have some great quests!

I quit leveling up a while ago (since the monsters and enemies level up at the same time as the players' character), but since I have been reminded about the ability to decrease the difficulty, I might continue to level up now.

I just learned i can swim, lol. I was trying to get these fish scales thinking, i wonder if there is a power that lets me breathe under water. Till i accidentally swam up to the top.

Is there a way to restore my health by sleeping or something other than using these potions?

bread's done
Back