The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='io']Same here, but I might play Mass Effect first. I haven't even turned on my 360 in at least a week or two though :cry:. Besides playing a few Wii games with my son I haven't had time to do any gaming. It is like the "holidays" provide way LESS time for me to game than usual!

But I do want to start this eventually. I may have asked this before, but I'll restate it: I bought a used copy of the regular version since I didn't want to lay out $60 for the GotY. Besides the free fighter's guild thing I downloaded, what else would you guys suggest I get for the start of the game (ie, pay to download)? What class makes progressing through all the guilds the easiest? Which guild to start with? Yeah, lots o' questions... I played Morrowind quite a bit (on PC) but never finished it. I pretty much know nothing about Oblivion, though it is the reason I wanted to get a 360.[/quote]

I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard rumor that you can just rent the GotY edition and install Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles to your hard drive. If that's true, those are well worth it; Knights of the Nine was a solid set of quests and SI (from what I've played so far) is a great change of place from the main world of Oblivion.

I bought the GOTY edition 2-3 months ago, and still haven't opened it. Been wanting to get into it, but I don't want to get sucked in, and have the other hot games in my backlog get ingnored.

I'll start it eventually, and then it will consume me. I have the strategy guide, so I've no worries about getting stuck anywhere. Between the penny I paid for the guides, and the super-sweet deal I got on the game ($19.99, mispriced at The City), this one will be in my collection for a long time.:)

I wish I could find a penny guide for Oblivion.

So...just got this yesterday from TRAINN. I chose an imperial born under the warrior. Good choice? What should I do for my class?

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, my goal was to at least close one Oblivion gate (for at least an achievement!) - is there a "boss" or something I'll find impossible to kill once I get to the top? I did like the overworld even though it seemed overwhelming when I popped out of the sewer but I've been stuck in this brown/red area for what seems like ages and it's not that fun. I also have no idea if I'm getting everything I should be getting or exploring where I should be exploring. Just in this area alone I feel like there are a bunch of doors and stuff I still have to wander into...[/QUOTE]

Nothing to worry about at the top. There will be some enemies there though. Don't worry too much about missing stuff in that first Oblivion gate, it's pretty much just some other similar looking rooms and hallways.

The overworld is great, but keep in mind there will be some long dungeons. Still, before moving on try out one of the guilds and explore a little. I barely touched the main quest until I was over 30 hours into the game.

[quote name='evanft']I wish I could find a penny guide for Oblivion.

So...just got this yesterday from TRAINN. I chose an imperial born under the warrior. Good choice? What should I do for my class?[/quote]

I'll check my stash to see if I have extras.

Can anybody explain the differences to me between Oblviion, Oblivioni CE, and Oblivion GOTY Edition?

Also is shivering isle's a different game...just the expansion that is useless w/out the original oblviion?

[quote name='pittpizza']Can anybody explain the differences to me between Oblviion, Oblivioni CE, and Oblivion GOTY Edition?

Also is shivering isle's a different game...just the expansion that is useless w/out the original oblviion?[/quote]

Collector's Edition: http://pc.ign.com/articles/683/683351p1.html

GOTY: http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/obgoty_overview.html

Shivering Isles http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace/theelderscrollsivoblivion/gamecontent-shiveringisles.htm and Knights of the Nine http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace/theelderscrollsivoblivion/gamecontent-ninequest.htm are expansions.

Perhaps these could be added to the OP?

I picked up an Oblivion guide at my local Half Price Books a month or so ago. I think it was in the $5 range. Obviously that's no penny deal, but it'll come in handy.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I've put in about 70 hours and all I have is the free Fighter's Stronghold, which is your own castle that you can store your stuff in without it disappearing (in the hidden section of the private quarters).

I've killed someone and I'm on the admittance mission. I'm just waiting until I'm done with thieves and the arena. Are there any downfalls to being in the Dark Brother hood? It seems like the Blades, fighters/mages guilds wouldn't like knowing I murder people. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

No, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why it never caught up with me. :) As long as you don't have a bounty you're okay... and the Dark Brotherhood quests are set in such a way that if you do them right, no one will know you did it... You never really kill anyone in other guilds, so the penalty for that is moot... the only penalty I saw for the Thieves guild was the last quest... but I was already the Arch Mage... so it really didn't matter. ;-) Once you finish the Dark Brotherhood, you've got a great source of income .... more quickly replenished than the fighters guild...

Haha, wow. I've been stuck for a looong time in this game, and now that i come here I finally find out that there's a difficulty slider. I feel fucking stupid. Thanks guys.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']This site has everything you'll ever need to know about Obilvion.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion[/quote]
Thanks. That link is an absolute gem!

How I wish I got this game a lot earlier.. still need to go through Half-Life 2, Portal and Gears. It's highly unlikely that I'm gonna put in one of those discs until I had my share of Cyrodiil.

I love reading forums where Morrowind fans bitch and whine about things in Oblivion, like fast travel, unkillable quest NPCs, and the fact that the game has fewer books. Yeah, cause running around bland wastelands, accidentally breaking quests, and spending hours reading were really the highlights of that game.

[quote name='evanft']I love reading forums where Morrowind fans bitch and whine about things in Oblivion, like fast travel, unkillable quest NPCs, and the fact that the game has fewer books. Yeah, cause running around bland wastelands, accidentally breaking quests, and spending hours reading were really the highlights of that game.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I agree. I've read numerous points by morrowind fans and the grips with oblivion don't make sense. Oblivion is just way more user friendly, get over it elf obsessed kids.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']:lol: I agree. I've read numerous points by morrowind fans and the grips with oblivion don't make sense. Oblivion is just way more user friendly, get over it elf obsessed kids.[/QUOTE]

User-friendly. Yes. That's exactly what I would call it. The quest journal, fast travel, and quest indicators make Morrowind seems hokey and obsolete. I remember very vividly having to run around for a half hour in order to find some cave that was "NE of such and such", and then I would just give up and look it up online. Now the game just tells me where the fucking Shrine of Goodoodbag is. So much smoother and more fun.

Oh, and the 360 version of Oblivion runs 10x better than Morrowind did on the original Xbox. Holy fucking shit.

I finished the Thieves Guild questline earlier and I also apparently am a vampire. I guess I'll do all the stuff related to it since I can't cure myself and become one again.

Edit: fuck this, being a vampire blows. I'm getting rid of it.

I'm at the last bit of the Thieves Guild quest where I need to throw an arrow into a key hole. Problem is, I've never shot an arrow in this game so far. I can equip it, but not being able to throw it. Any help?

[quote name='destinywaste']I'm at the last bit of the Thieves Guild quest where I need to throw an arrow into a key hole. Problem is, I've never shot an arrow in this game so far. I can equip it, but not being able to throw it. Any help?[/QUOTE]
You can't throw it. You have to equip a bow as well, and shoot it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']You can't throw it. You have to equip a bow as well, and shoot it.[/quote]

damn..im screwed. now i gotta return all the way back through the sewers to the surface just to purchase a bow. :cry:

[quote name='destinywaste']damn..im screwed. now i gotta return all the way back through the sewers to the surface just to purchase a bow. :cry:[/QUOTE]

You may be able to find bows on some of the enemies near that area.

[quote name='destinywaste']damn..im screwed. now i gotta return all the way back through the sewers to the surface just to purchase a bow. :cry:[/quote]
There's a bow just off of that room, I remember seeing it.

So I started this game today and it's awesome...except one thing. Whenever I engage in combat if my enemy strikes me first, my character seems to glitch and I can't swing a sword, block or jump, actually I can't do anything but sit there and take it. I know this isn't the way it's supposed to be because while in the sewers it played fine. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Nealocus123']So I started this game today and it's awesome...except one thing. Whenever I engage in combat if my enemy strikes me first, my character seems to glitch and I can't swing a sword, block or jump, actually I can't do anything but sit there and take it. I know this isn't the way it's supposed to be because while in the sewers it played fine. Any suggestions?[/quote]
I've never seen anything like that. Maybe turn off your 360 and load it up again? I couldn't see my weapon in Half Life 2 and that worked for me.

If you already think the game is awesome then you're going to absolutely love it once you get more weapons and magic and what not.

Sometimes you'll get staggered by a strong blow but your situation sounds a bit different (especially if you made it through the sewers without any problems).

I ordered Oblivion GOTY edition for about $45 off gamestop.com thanks to the CAG16 and EDGE card, along with SAVER. Two of my friends are going to pay me $10 each to get Shivering Isles from me, so I'm getting a pretty good deal.

I've missed this game since I sold it after I had completed it. Shivering Isles will be badass, I'm sure.

[quote name='sj41']I ordered Oblivion GOTY edition for about $45 off gamestop.com thanks to the CAG16 and EDGE card, along with SAVER. Two of my friends are going to pay me $10 each to get Shivering Isles from me, so I'm getting a pretty good deal.

I've missed this game since I sold it after I had completed it. Shivering Isles will be badass, I'm sure.[/quote]
Come on man, don't be a jerk and just let them get it for free. It's a friendship not a business!

I played this game on my PC around when it first came out. I thought it looked great on my computer, but I didn't have a 360 back then, so I had no idea how good it could've looked. ( I was playing on very low settings). I stopped playing it once my computer started to slow down.

Now, a few years later, I've got it on the 360, and I'm loving it all over again. I traded for it here on CAG, and I swore to myself that I wouldn't start playing it until this summer, because I know how this game can just steal countless hours of your day, and I need to be concentrating on school work.

I really wanted to see how much better it looked on my 360, though. So I told myself "Ok, I'm just going to get through the sewers and walk around outside for a bit just to see the graphics, then I'm shutting it off."

I played for eight hours straight.

I ordered Oblivion GOTY edition for about $45 off gamestop.com thanks to the CAG16 and EDGE card, along with SAVER. Two of my friends are going to pay me $10 each to get Shivering Isles from me, so I'm getting a pretty good deal.

I've missed this game since I sold it after I had completed it. Shivering Isles will be badass, I'm sure.

[quote name='sj41']I ordered Oblivion GOTY edition for about $45 off gamestop.com thanks to the CAG16 and EDGE card, along with SAVER. Two of my friends are going to pay me $10 each to get Shivering Isles from me, so I'm getting a pretty good deal.

I've missed this game since I sold it after I had completed it. Shivering Isles will be badass, I'm sure.[/quote]
Come on man, don't be a jerk and just let them get it for free. It's a friendship not a business!

I played this game on my PC around when it first came out. I thought it looked great on my computer, but I didn't have a 360 back then, so I had no idea how good it could've looked. ( I was playing on very low settings). I stopped playing it once my computer started to slow down.

Now, a few years later, I've got it on the 360, and I'm loving it all over again. I traded for it here on CAG, and I swore to myself that I wouldn't start playing it until this summer, because I know how this game can just steal countless hours of your day, and I need to be concentrating on school work.

I really wanted to see how much better it looked on my 360, though. So I told myself "Ok, I'm just going to get through the sewers and walk around outside for a bit just to see the graphics, then I'm shutting it off."

I played for eight hours straight.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Come on man, don't be a jerk and just let them get it for free. It's a friendship not a business![/quote]I wouldn't have bought it if they didn't come up with the idea of us each paying $10 for it. They are good friends, but we're splitting the cost between us so that it's cheap for everybody instead of one guy (which would be me in this case) paying $30 for it. It's not like I'm charging a rental fee for when I let them borrow the Orange Box. ;)

This game will suck you in pretty easily. I'm definitely doing the Dark Brotherhood and the main quest again while I'm pushing through Shivering Isles. That stuff was great.

[quote name='evanft']I love reading forums where Morrowind fans bitch and whine about things in Oblivion, like fast travel, unkillable quest NPCs, and the fact that the game has fewer books. Yeah, cause running around bland wastelands, accidentally breaking quests, and spending hours reading were really the highlights of that game.[/quote]

Don't forget the Cliff Racers... they were awesome :p

[quote name='evanft']I love reading forums where Morrowind fans bitch and whine about things in Oblivion, like fast travel, unkillable quest NPCs, and the fact that the game has fewer books. Yeah, cause running around bland wastelands, accidentally breaking quests, and spending hours reading were really the highlights of that game.[/quote]

I spent hours in Morrowind just organizing stuff in my house. I easliy spent over an hour getting my money pile just right the first time and I would add a little more to it on every return trip. It was little touches like that that made Morrowind a truly immersive experience. It was almost like being in another world. Oblivion didn't feel the same.

Man... the reminiscing about my money pile made me want to look at it but I dug out my Morrowind disk only to realize I had to uninstall it because I'm out of disk space.

[quote name='jkanownik']I spent hours in Morrowind just organizing stuff in my house. I easliy spent over an hour getting my money pile just right the first time and I would add a little more to it on every return trip. It was little touches like that that made Morrowind a truly immersive experience. It was almost like being in another world. Oblivion didn't feel the same.

Man... the reminiscing about my money pile made me want to look at it but I dug out my Morrowind disk only to realize I had to uninstall it because I'm out of disk space.[/quote]

I've spent hours decorating my house in Skingrad (in Oblivion), getting it just right. but I bought the fighters stronghold expansion and now I have to move.

So, I just recently started this game (I'm now addicted), but I have a couple questions:

Has anyone played through the whole game as a vampire? Was it a pain in the ass, or were the benefits greater than the drawbacks?

I'm doing the quest to find the cure for vampirism, but I kinda like having the extra boost to my stats/abilities. I don't want to not be able to deal with shop keepers and other NPC's, though.

If I keep feeding every day or so, will I remain normal-looking?

Yes, if you keep feeding every day or 2, you'll be normal looking and it can be managed. I actually stumbled into this very early in the game, and probably played 40 of my first 45 hours of the game as a vampire. The problem is it's really more of a hassle than it's worth. Early on, the stat boost is impressive, later in the game, you really don't need it, and the hassles just get annoying.

So, it's really up to you. What isn't bad is to do the mission for vampire cure, you'll get a vile. Then, you don't have to take it right away, just hold onto it and when your sick of it, take it then.

But, it's definitely possible to have a rich fulfilling Oblivion experience as a vampire.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Yes, if you keep feeding every day or 2, you'll be normal looking and it can be managed. I actually stumbled into this very early in the game, and probably played 40 of my first 45 hours of the game as a vampire. The problem is it's really more of a hassle than it's worth. Early on, the stat boost is impressive, later in the game, you really don't need it, and the hassles just get annoying.

So, it's really up to you. What isn't bad is to do the mission for vampire cure, you'll get a vile. Then, you don't have to take it right away, just hold onto it and when your sick of it, take it then.

But, it's definitely possible to have a rich fulfilling Oblivion experience as a vampire.[/quote]

Thanks, dude. I'm considering do just that, hanging on to the cure until it becomes too annoying. If I hadn't slept right after contracting the hemophilia, I'd be okay. But I didn't read my strategy guide ahead of time and now I'm having to resort to sucking people's blood.:lol:

Also, can I just rest to level up, or do I actually have to sleep for 8 hours?

[quote name='shieryda']So, I just recently started this game (I'm now addicted), but I have a couple questions:

Has anyone played through the whole game as a vampire? Was it a pain in the ass, or were the benefits greater than the drawbacks?

I'm doing the quest to find the cure for vampirism, but I kinda like having the extra boost to my stats/abilities. I don't want to not be able to deal with shop keepers and other NPC's, though.

If I keep feeding every day or so, will I remain normal-looking?[/quote]

I went through the whole game (almost) as a vampire. It makes you stronger and you can see in the dark. The only thing I didn't do though was go through the Oblivion gates. I was afraid the fire attacks were gonna mess me up.

I've been playing this recently and loving it as well. I put in around 10 hours yesterday which is the longest I've gamed in one day in years, so I'm definitely sucked in!

I finished off the Dark Brotherhood Quests, finished off the main quest, and did a good bit of the Fighter's Guild quests. Probably try to finish that and then the Mage's and Thieve's Guild questlines and then likely move on to picking up the Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles Quests.

May try to do the Daedric Shine quests as well, but not bothering with all the little random quests in towns etc.

[quote name='Maklershed']I went through the whole game (almost) as a vampire. It makes you stronger and you can see in the dark. The only thing I didn't do though was go through the Oblivion gates. I was afraid the fire attacks were gonna mess me up.[/quote]

My favorite ability is the nightsight. Love using that, and then sneaking up behind someone to knife them in the back.

I apologize for bumping a thread that lacked any traffic in like 7 months, but this game is so fucking awesome.

[quote name='shieryda']My favorite ability is the nightsight. Love using that, and then sneaking up behind someone to knife them in the back.

I apologize for bumping a thread that lacked any traffic in like 7 months, but this game is so fucking awesome.[/QUOTE]

With the GOTY dropping to $30, it was going to happen anyway.

I have the 360 LE (rated T for Teen?) from a while back, and just got around to playing it in the past 3-4 weeks. I wish I could stop traveling so I could spend time at home playing the damned thing.

How do I access the GOTY content? How do I get to the Shivering Isles, IOW? I have the GOTY disc installed on my hdd, but dunno how to get there.

I know when you downloaded the stuff, you would get a message in your journal saying where the content was and you could make it your top quest. Not sure about the Shivering Isles stuff tho.

I don't know maybe it's just me... I played 10 minutes of the game and hated it. Returned it the same day.

Although I've read it starts out slow and you just need to give it time.. but...

bread's done
Back