The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='necrojustice']GOTY = better deal as its not on the Hard Drive taking up valuable space.

Not sure if it comes with the crappy extras.

You could NOT save the extra content to the HD. It doesn't work like that.
The data streams off the disc so there is no practical way worth trying that would equal success.

Hope I helped, haha![/QUOTE]
So do you even have the game? Even with the GOTY version you can only copy the content to the HDD and not play them of the disc. I am Sorry, but you dont know what you are talking about.

To actually answer the OP's question. You only get Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine on GOTY and not the other DLC. Yes you can rent borrow disc and copy the content on your HDD and return it.

[quote name='62t']So do you even have the game? Even with the GOTY version you can only copy the content to the HDD and not play them of the disc. I am Sorry, but you dont know what you are talking about.

To actually answer the OP's question. You only get Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine on GOTY and not the other DLC. Yes you can rent borrow disc and copy the content on your HDD and return it.[/quote]

So it would be better to buy the 30 dollar version, rent GOTY and get the extras for 5 bucks. Do you know how much space it takes up? I have the 20GB...errr 12GB hard drive.

[quote name='62t']So do you even have the game? Even with the GOTY version you can only copy the content to the HDD and not play them of the disc. I am Sorry, but you dont know what you are talking about.

To actually answer the OP's question. You only get Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine on GOTY and not the other DLC. Yes you can rent borrow disc and copy the content on your HDD and return it.[/quote]
This man speaks the truth.

[quote name='The 7th Number']So it would be better to buy the 30 dollar version, rent GOTY and get the extras for 5 bucks. Do you know how much space it takes up? I have the 20GB...errr 12GB hard drive.[/quote]

Shivering Isles is 994 MB, and Knights of Nine is 142 MB. But either way, you have to save it to your harddrive, its just your choice if you want to rent the disc, buy the GOTY edition, or buy the DLC with MS Points.

Edit: Regular Oblivion is only $22.50 at CC this week; http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion-Xbox-360-710425390135/sem/rpsm/oid/152696/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do?linkid=j13774608k31063&affiliateid=k31063&mid= .Although I still do not support CC, it is worth getting there I get.

I just picked up a used regular Oblivion since GC had the B1G1 deal (with system purchase - got the Zelda DS bundle). I was going to do the rental thing with the GotY but the big problem is that it is not available for rent at any place I've seen (several Blockbuster and Hollywood Video stores). I'll keep looking when I'm out and about but I'm not optimistic. Short of Gamefly, where can you even rent it?

But I figured I could start the regular game and wouldn't even need to get into Shivering Isles right away anyway. What other DLC do people recommend getting? I got the free one a few weeks back. So to take advantage of that do I need to be a fighter? Or is it a guild thing? Anything else you guys could recommend downloading for the start of the game?

Most of the DLC is generally geared towards various classes... the Fighter's stronghold, Frostcrag Spire (which is nice if you're a magic user) and the thieves den (IIRC)

Shivering Isles is wholly contained and doesn't influence the main quest that I can remember, so getting it later in your travels (when it's available to rent) will be fine. Horse Armor is useless.... particularly after a certain point and a horse you receive becomes your main mount...

For each of the "class specific" (for lack of a better term) areas like Frostcrag and the fighter one (name escapes me)... main advantages are geared towards the particular discipline, but there's no need to specialize... My character was a magic heavy melee fighter with good heavy armor skill (some of the heavy armor's great to use...) Frostcrag has unique features for the mages guild fellow too... like spellcrafting and enchanting of items... that assumes of course you want to go that route...

I also liked Mehrunes Razor... it's a nice quest with a good reward... Spell Tomes are good, but Frostcrag gives you more features making spell tomes obsolete.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head... I finished the main quest of Shivering Isles just last week, and that makes (off and on) Oblivion the longest I've ever played an RPG game (May until November.... heh.)

Another way to do the "rental thing" would be to pick up a used copy of the GOTY ed. from EB/Gamestop. Just be sure to return it within 7 days and you get a full refund.

Greetings, all.

I'm going to pick up Oblivion for 360.. sometime soon. My question to those of you who have either copy, is it worth the extra $40 you spend for the two extra expansion packs in the GOTY edition, or, should a person go for the Vanilla edition of Oblivion for $20 and maybe download the extra expansion areas later on?

Many thanks.

Considering how long it'll take to get through the main campaign, I'd save yourself some money and just get the base game. The expansions are already on another disc, so you can wait for a drop later.

I would suggest getting the regular edition now. By the time you're done with the content in the original the GOTY will probably have dropped in price and you can decide then if you want to pay for more content.

or ... just buy the regular edition and rent the goty. when you rent the goty, it'll allow you to install the additional content onto your xbox hard drive.

[quote name='bigdsinferno']or ... just buy the regular edition and rent the goty. when you rent the goty, it'll allow you to install the additional content onto your xbox hard drive.[/quote]
Who rents out the GOTY? Hollywood video doesn't, I haven't seen it at Blockbuster either

i got mine through gamefly. i'm sure they have a free 2 week or 1 month membership. the content you want is installed when you put disc 2 into the xbox.

Well, I'll be. I didn't know you could just rent the GOTY and copy the info over.

I think I saw it at Blockbuster the last time I was in, actually.

That is what I will do, then.

I tried playing this again last night and I just can't get into it. I think I'm near the first Oblivion gate and these little devil looking creatures keep killing me. I only have an axe and a wooden shield to protect myself... I don't think I get it...

[quote name='javeryh']I tried playing this again last night and I just can't get into it. I think I'm near the first Oblivion gate and these little devil looking creatures keep killing me. I only have an axe and a wooden shield to protect myself... I don't think I get it...[/QUOTE]

I got stuck at the same part on the PC version. I gave up, but I think you're supposed to meet up with someone inside the gate that helps you. I'm going to give it a shot next year.

[quote name='javeryh']I tried playing this again last night and I just can't get into it. I think I'm near the first Oblivion gate and these little devil looking creatures keep killing me. I only have an axe and a wooden shield to protect myself... I don't think I get it...[/quote]

:lol: That's exactly where I stopped and why I stopped, I just figured I wasn't strong enough to defeat them or something.

[quote name='javeryh']I tried playing this again last night and I just can't get into it. I think I'm near the first Oblivion gate and these little devil looking creatures keep killing me. I only have an axe and a wooden shield to protect myself... I don't think I get it...[/QUOTE]

The nice thing about Oblivion is if you get stuck in an area, just use the difficulty slider to lower it a bit for just that one section, then raise it back up again.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']The nice thing about Oblivion is if you get stuck in an area, just use the difficulty slider to lower it a bit for just that one section, then raise it back up again.[/quote]

Really!? I'll have to give that a shot sometime then.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Really!? I'll have to give that a shot sometime then.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there was one side quest I was stuck at (you literally were in another dimension and couldn't escape until you finished) and I was scared I would have to restart the entire game, but was able to easily get through using that method.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yeah, there was one side quest I was stuck at (you literally were in another dimension and couldn't escape until you finished) and I was scared I would have to restart the entire game, but was able to easily get through using that method.[/QUOTE]

I remember that spot. I was stuck there for a bit too, I managed my way through it without moving the difficulty slider. Really, that might have been the only part I was really stuck on for any length.

All I know is that I did some of the side missions before even starting the main mission, so I wonder if you just need to level a bit more (I know, classic RPG answer, but even with the enemies getting stronger, I felt like I was getting stronger as the game went on).

Hmmm... I'll have to try the difficulty slider. I met up with a guy locked in a tower who gave me a key and told me to get to the top of the other tower so that's where I'm at. I can barely see in there though. Maybe I have to keep playing to "get it" or something? My in-game times says I'm at 3 hours and if a game doesn't grab me by then chances are it won't but this game is so huge and so many people like it that maybe 3 hours really isn't a fair shot...

Jav, I'm sort of in your boat too. I have never played the game but really want to try it out. SOunds that it is not super addictign though and most of the games I really like I get addicted to.

So whats teh deal with this game, itw as GOTY in 2006? Is it an MMORPG where you pick a class and group up with other hunting parties and you can play a role within that party and go and level up and stuff like in WoW?

[quote name='pittpizza']Jav, I'm sort of in your boat too. I have never played the game but really want to try it out. SOunds that it is not super addictign though and most of the games I really like I get addicted to.

So whats teh deal with this game, itw as GOTY in 2006? Is it an MMORPG where you pick a class and group up with other hunting parties and you can play a role within that party and go and level up and stuff like in WoW?[/QUOTE]

No, it's a single player only role playing game. The battle system is in real time (Right trigger swings sword, etc) and there is a huge land to explore and tons of quests to do.

I never finished the main quest and went and did my own thing(like probably most other people did). Great game.

Oh, it's addicting.

I've spent over 60 hours on my main character...I just got back into it because I recently got Shivering Isles (great DLC, by the way)

I can't really explain exactly why I love it so much...I guess it just has a certain charm to it that I can't get enough of. Some times I love to just drop all of my equipment/potions/etc in my house, take a hunters vest and pants, and just go hunting deer/bears/etc in the wilderness around Cyrodii with my bow. It's good fun and is generally relaxing.

I'd just make sure you finish the main quest before doing that though, I hate running into Oblivion gates while roaming around the mountains hunting game on a snowy day.

[quote name='javeryh']Hmmm... I'll have to try the difficulty slider. I met up with a guy locked in a tower who gave me a key and told me to get to the top of the other tower so that's where I'm at. I can barely see in there though. Maybe I have to keep playing to "get it" or something? My in-game times says I'm at 3 hours and if a game doesn't grab me by then chances are it won't but this game is so huge and so many people like it that maybe 3 hours really isn't a fair shot...[/QUOTE]

Keep trying and finish that Oblivion gate, you're almost done with it anyway. Maybe adjust your screen brightness? After you get through that part go explore and give some of the other things to do in the game a shot. Remember to rest in areas where there aren't monsters to regain health. At some of the begining levels you don't have much health, but that changes later on.

It's hugely addicting. I'll have to start playing it again after Christmas. I sold my copy months ago when the GOTY was rumored. Will have to look for a sale on the original or the GOTY.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's hugely addicting. I'll have to start playing it again after Christmas. I sold my copy months ago when the GOTY was rumored. Will have to look for a sale on the original or the GOTY.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thinking it'd all be on one disk. I already had Shivering Isles but wanted a backup copy just in case, but I've been kicking myself ever since. I plan on just rebuying it at a buy 2 get one sale.

[quote name='whiptcracker']I did the same thinking it'd all be on one disk. I already had Shivering Isles but wanted a backup copy just in case, but I've been kicking myself ever since. I plan on just rebuying it at a buy 2 get one sale.[/QUOTE]

EBStop after Christmas is my target. But I'll be patient and get the best deal.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Keep trying and finish that Oblivion gate, you're almost done with it anyway. Maybe adjust your screen brightness? After you get through that part go explore and give some of the other things to do in the game a shot. Remember to rest in areas where there aren't monsters to regain health. At some of the begining levels you don't have much health, but that changes later on.[/quote]

yeah, my goal was to at least close one Oblivion gate (for at least an achievement!) - is there a "boss" or something I'll find impossible to kill once I get to the top? I did like the overworld even though it seemed overwhelming when I popped out of the sewer but I've been stuck in this brown/red area for what seems like ages and it's not that fun. I also have no idea if I'm getting everything I should be getting or exploring where I should be exploring. Just in this area alone I feel like there are a bunch of doors and stuff I still have to wander into...

I closed one gate, and got the books, and now I'm at the part where
you have to use fire, ice, and the two magicka spells on the pillar. But I don't have any spells that fortify or damage magicka...

[quote name='lordwow']I closed one gate, and got the books, and now I'm at the part where
you have to use fire, ice, and the two magicka spells on the pillar. But I don't have any spells that fortify or damage magicka...
[/quote]
Been awhile since I played, but iirc, there are scrolls near the one NPC that you can click while targeting the pillars that work.

Anyone who has given up on this game should keep playing. I wasn't impressed until after I closed the first gate. It gets really fun when you join the different guilds. The game gets easier as you progress because you'll level up and be able to carry stronger weapons and cast stronger spells. I got this game in October and it's the only game I've been playing since.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Anyone who has given up on this game should keep playing. I wasn't impressed until after I closed the first gate. It gets really fun when you join the different guilds. The game gets easier as you progress because you'll level up and be able to carry stronger weapons and cast stronger spells. I got this game in October and it's the only game I've been playing since.[/QUOTE]

aside from Animal Crossing WW and Tekken DR, this is the only game I've been able to play nonstop for more than a year. I'll probably get back into it again tonight and do a few side quests.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']aside from Animal Crossing WW and Tekken DR, this is the only game I've been able to play nonstop for more than a year. I'll probably get back into it again tonight and do a few side quests.[/quote] I don't know if it will last me a year, but I doubt I'll stop playing it until I've done everything.

I've been playing this game for a couple days and it's slowing growing on me.

I'm kinda stuck in the main quest though. I've closed the first Oblivion gate and went back to Savlian Matius who asked me to help him rid the city of those fire-throwing creatures. I helped him clear the area infront of the chappel and then went in to the chappel to speak with Brother Martin who refused to leave until it's safe. Then I went and opened the city gate to allow the soldiers to come in and deal with the rest of the creatures. I further help this Matius guy by bringing him a ring from some dead guy.

I head back to the Chappel to take Martin with me back to Weynon Priory but the guy isn't to be seen anywhere! The dumbass locals don't know shit about him either. Have I missed something here.. any help would be appreciated.

I'm finding the guilds part of the game very enjoyable though.
Have been running around completing side quests to get in guilds. Gonna try and get into the thiefs guild tonight.

i just finally borrowed this game from a friend about a month ago, been playin off and on a bit, but was devastated at the fact there is the slightest little scratch on the disc apparently right at the point where you try and do the quest to join the thieves guild, this kinda killed it for me, been working with the fighters and mages guild though, and those are fun, gonna have to pop it back in and play it, got sidetracked by a bioshock rental.

So far I've finished the fighters guild, mages guild, and I'm Champion in the arena. As for the thieves guild
I'm on the first mission for the Gray Fox
. I'll probably do the main quest after I finish all the guilds.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']I have this sitting on the backlog pile. I'm hoping I'll have some time over Christmas to at least get the ball rolling.[/QUOTE]

...and that's the last we ever heard of him.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']So far I've finished the fighters guild, mages guild, and I'm Champion in the arena. As for the thieves guild
I'm on the first mission for the Gray Fox
. I'll probably do the main quest after I finish all the guilds.[/QUOTE]

It's good to complete the Thieves guild before you do Knights of the Nine (for reasons you will see as soon as you get closer to doing the last T.G. quest.) I didn't... and it made for some annoying things to happen dialogue-wise...

If you've not finished the Mages guild quests, skip that spoiler. :)

I generally recommend you making some enchanted weaponry and armor for the main quest, because at some point you're going to encounter things that don't die from anything but daedric, silver, or enchanted weapons... and unless you're great at heavy armor, you're most likely going to benefit from a decent shield, or depending upon your weapon specialty, some great enchanted headgear,etc.

Try to carry as many feather potions as you can (or better yet, learn the spell) because when you hit some of the main quest, there'll be so much loot you will want to hock or put somewhere for safe keeping that no matter how strong your character is, he can't carry it all.. (or she).

Remember some of the conversations with NPCs and you'll discover another guild to get quests from as well (that yield a nice bonus, btw.)
Dark Brotherhood

[quote name='destinywaste']I've been playing this game for a couple days and it's slowing growing on me.

I'm kinda stuck in the main quest though. I've closed the first Oblivion gate and went back to Savlian Matius who asked me to help him rid the city of those fire-throwing creatures. I helped him clear the area infront of the chappel and then went in to the chappel to speak with Brother Martin who refused to leave until it's safe. Then I went and opened the city gate to allow the soldiers to come in and deal with the rest of the creatures. I further help this Matius guy by bringing him a ring from some dead guy.

I head back to the Chappel to take Martin with me back to Weynon Priory but the guy isn't to be seen anywhere! The dumbass locals don't know shit about him either. Have I missed something here.. any help would be appreciated.

I'm finding the guilds part of the game very enjoyable though.
Have been running around completing side quests to get in guilds. Gonna try and get into the thiefs guild tonight.[/quote]

Don't know if this helps but when I first started the game, I wasn't familiar with the quest log which helps finding people. Make sure for this particular quest, it's set as the active one and he'll show up on the small compass and you can just follow it until you find him. I didn't know about this at first so I had a hard time finding people.

Other than that, not sure as I completed the game with no major problems regarding glitches like that but I wouldn't say the game is glitch free either.

by far the best stories in the game have to go with the theives guild (hardest also IMHO) and the dark brotherhood (best and most rewarding). The deadric quests are fun as well, but more worth it if you plan to do them all since they give you a huge stat boost.

This might just be me, but did anyone else get a title update for this game when they put their game disc in recently? Because I did.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']I have this sitting on the backlog pile. I'm hoping I'll have some time over Christmas to at least get the ball rolling.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but I might play Mass Effect first. I haven't even turned on my 360 in at least a week or two though :cry:. Besides playing a few Wii games with my son I haven't had time to do any gaming. It is like the "holidays" provide way LESS time for me to game than usual!

But I do want to start this eventually. I may have asked this before, but I'll restate it: I bought a used copy of the regular version since I didn't want to lay out $60 for the GotY. Besides the free fighter's guild thing I downloaded, what else would you guys suggest I get for the start of the game (ie, pay to download)? What class makes progressing through all the guilds the easiest? Which guild to start with? Yeah, lots o' questions... I played Morrowind quite a bit (on PC) but never finished it. I pretty much know nothing about Oblivion, though it is the reason I wanted to get a 360.

[quote name='io']Same here, but I might play Mass Effect first. I haven't even turned on my 360 in at least a week or two though :cry:. Besides playing a few Wii games with my son I haven't had time to do any gaming. It is like the "holidays" provide way LESS time for me to game than usual!

But I do want to start this eventually. I may have asked this before, but I'll restate it: I bought a used copy of the regular version since I didn't want to lay out $60 for the GotY. Besides the free fighter's guild thing I downloaded, what else would you guys suggest I get for the start of the game (ie, pay to download)? What class makes progressing through all the guilds the easiest? Which guild to start with? Yeah, lots o' questions... I played Morrowind quite a bit (on PC) but never finished it. I pretty much know nothing about Oblivion, though it is the reason I wanted to get a 360.[/quote] I've put in about 70 hours and all I have is the free Fighter's Stronghold, which is your own castle that you can store your stuff in without it disappearing (in the hidden section of the private quarters).

As for the best class, I don't really know because I've only played as a Breton assassin. I like it because I'm good with physical attacks and I just leveled up my restoration and destruction so now I'm good at both. Being able to sneak comes in handy too. After playing for a while you can level up to be good at anything though. You can even change your class before you leave the sewers if you find out you don't like the class you chose.

It doesn't matter which guild you do first as far as I know. Personally I went mages, fighters, thieves, then I'll do the last one
Dark Brotherhood. Is this even a spoiler?
. I guess the thieves guild might be easier after leveling up sneak some. It's not like once you choose a guild you can only do that one. I suggest doing a mission for each and then choose the guild you liked best.

You might want to play Mass Effect before this if you hope to play it before spring comes. :lol:

[quote name='Mechafenris']
I generally recommend you making some enchanted weaponry and armor for the main quest, because at some point you're going to encounter things that don't die from anything but daedric, silver, or enchanted weapons... and unless you're great at heavy armor, you're most likely going to benefit from a decent shield, or depending upon your weapon specialty, some great enchanted headgear,etc.

Try to carry as many feather potions as you can (or better yet, learn the spell) because when you hit some of the main quest, there'll be so much loot you will want to hock or put somewhere for safe keeping that no matter how strong your character is, he can't carry it all.. (or she).

Remember some of the conversations with NPCs and you'll discover another guild to get quests from as well (that yield a nice bonus, btw.)
Dark Brotherhood
[/quote]
The mages guild was the first guild I completed. I've never messed around with enchantment but I have some enchanted armor I got on some missions and I have a daedric sword so I think I'm good.

Yeah, I learned a feather spell just for that reason. :D

I've killed someone and I'm on the admittance mission. I'm just waiting until I'm done with thieves and the arena. Are there any downfalls to being in the Dark Brother hood? It seems like the Blades, fighters/mages guilds wouldn't like knowing I murder people. :lol:

bread's done
Back