The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='The Dord']Costs money dude :)[/quote]:whistle2:s How? I know to download it you have to be a paid subscriber, but just to read everything is free, unlike IGN.

Well, I finally played again yesterday...at first, I wasn't raelly digging the game much, but it's growing on me. As I said, I'm nto a big RPG fan. I finally leveled up and closed the first Oblivion Gate. Now, onto the next....if I have time. I think I have commitment issues with this game.

I need help making spells. I have the spells Bouyancy and Minor Latch Crack but they both need 25 in Alteration so I cant use them. I dont have any way to level up my Alteration either since I dont have any other spells that use it. Currently my alteration is at 5, in comparison to my other stats it is extremely low. My blade is maxed out and even my Illusion is in the 50's. When I go to try and create a low level Alteration spell I can't. When I go to the alter of spell making my KNOWN EFFECTS are "absorb fatigue, Calm, Charm, Fire Damage, Fortify Attribute, Fortify Skill, Frost Damage, Light, Restore Health , and Shock Damage. How do I learn other effects so I can make an alteration spell and level it up? Sorry if this is really long but id really appreciate someones help.. thanks in advance.

[quote name='Staind204']I need help making spells. I have the spells Bouyancy and Minor Latch Crack but they both need 25 in Alteration so I cant use them. I dont have any way to level up my Alteration either since I dont have any other spells that use it. Currently my alteration is at 5, in comparison to my other stats it is extremely low. My blade is maxed out and even my Illusion is in the 50's. When I go to try and create a low level Alteration spell I can't. When I go to the alter of spell making my KNOWN EFFECTS are "absorb fatigue, Calm, Charm, Fire Damage, Fortify Attribute, Fortify Skill, Frost Damage, Light, Restore Health , and Shock Damage. How do I learn other effects so I can make an alteration spell and level it up? Sorry if this is really long but id really appreciate someones help.. thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried using a teacher to level you up?

[quote name='doubledown']Well, I finally played again yesterday...at first, I wasn't raelly digging the game much, but it's growing on me. As I said, I'm nto a big RPG fan. I finally leveled up and closed the first Oblivion Gate. Now, onto the next....if I have time. I think I have commitment issues with this game.[/QUOTE]

You sound like me. I've never been a true rpg player always prefering action/simpler style game like Fable. This game is the exception though. There is just so much to do and you have to just accept your not going accomplish much per session. I jump on try to complete one quest or just walk around and discover new areas I've barely touched the main quest. Hell my character is only a level 5 after 23 hours of gameplay. Its just a game to enjoy over time like a long book.

[quote name='zewone']Have you tried using a teacher to level you up?[/QUOTE]

It wouldnt be enough AFAIK. I think you can only gain 5 points from that which still wouldnt be enough :(

You learn other effects by having a spell with the effect. You can get these spells by buying them at the Mages Guild branches around Tamriel. Levelling up doesn't teach new spells.

[quote name='Genocidal']You learn other effects by having a spell with the effect. You can get these spells by buying them at the Mages Guild branches around Tamriel. Levelling up doesn't teach new spells.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I havent found any spells in Alteration, Conjuration, or Mysticism that dont require atleast 25 in that skill. How am I suppose to get it up to 25? Is doing "training" the only way? If so thats kinda dumb.

Buy a higher level spell, then use that spell's knowledge to make a very low level spell that you can keep casting for minimal Magicka while you travel. Examples being, a short distance and short duration Detect Life spell, a short duration low protection Shield spell, and a short duration Summon Skeleton or other lower level monster spell.

[quote name='Genocidal']Buy a higher level spell, then use that spell's knowledge to make a very low level spell that you can keep casting for minimal Magicka while you travel. Examples being, a short distance and short duration Detect Life spell, a short duration low protection Shield spell, and a short duration Summon Skeleton or other lower level monster spell.[/QUOTE]

I've tried this.. I have the spells Buoyancy (Alteration), Legendary Life Detection (unsure which category), Minor Latch Crack (Alteration), Soul Trap (Mysticism). When I go to create a spell the only effects that are "known" are those from Illusion, Destruction, and Restortation. I dont know what Im doing wrong?

EDIT: I got it figured out. I went to all the cities and found a low level spell for each level, now Im at atleast 25 in all areas :)

I had the same problem. Even if I bought the spell I couldn't make a new spell/ench if I wasn't already a high enough level to use it.

I beat the Arena today. I also found this woman named Umbra in this place called Vindasil and she has a full suit of Ebony Armor plus a really nice sword.

As I was walking to do the first Dark Brotherhood quest I noticed a village called Pells Gate. There was this lady walking around with a full suit of Elven armor. I killed her and took it, but she didn't have Elven gauntlets I don't think. Do Elven gauntlets exist in the game?

Yes, its just that the NPCs don't always have the full set.
There should be a dagger, short sword, long sword, claymore, axe, great axe, mace, hammer, sheild, helm, gloves, curias, greaves and boots for every type in the game.

[quote name='Kayden']Yes, its just that the NPCs don't always have the full set.
There should be a dagger, short sword, long sword, claymore, axe, great axe, mace, hammer, sheild, helm, gloves, curias, greaves and boots for every type in the game.[/quote]Damn, I want. But not enough to murder an NPC. Still sticking w/ the get up you get for joining the Dark Brotherhood.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Damn, I want. But not enough to murder an NPC. Still sticking w/ the get up you get for joining the Dark Brotherhood.[/quote]

I actually picked those over a set of daedric armor I had. Much easier to sneak in. The robes you get from them are sick.

[quote name='Kayden']I actually picked those over a set of daedric armor I had. Much easier to sneak in. The robes you get from them are sick.[/quote]The attribute bonus you get with it are nice. But I just like the different options 'cause I switch between action quests and stealth quests and the DB robes you get wear down quick.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The attribute bonus you get with it are nice. But I just like the different options 'cause I switch between action quests and stealth quests and the DB robes you get wear down quick.[/quote]

Yea... Theres a mod that lets you wear robes over armor though... =) It has horrible clipping though, so I don't use it.

Wonder what level is when you get the best weapons/armor from npcs? I'm level 17 and I See very little Ebony and Haven't seen any daedric yet.

[quote name='AshesofWake']bleh just finished the Fighters Guild questline, the Dark Brotherhood story was much better, oh well.[/quote]

I agree 100%, I loved the Dark Brotherhood storyline and then I did the Fighter's Guild and was somewhat dissapointed.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']The attribute bonus you get with it are nice. But I just like the different options 'cause I switch between action quests and stealth quests and the DB robes you get wear down quick.[/QUOTE]
The robes you get towards the end of the Dark Brotherhood don't wear out, but thats because they offer no armor bonus, just attribute bonus. That's okay with me since I hardly ever get hit.

The Dark Brotherhood missions are very satisfying... in a disturbing way.

Man I have played this game ~45 hours (usually play at 1 hour at the very least per night) and I don't think I've even done 25% of what can be done. I friggin' love this game!

Wow, although my game arrived at a local UPS store, 4.1 miles away yesterday at 5:53 AM, the lazy people at UPS decided not to deliver the package. I'm guessing they knew what it was and are playing it in the back of the store right now

Hi there,
One of the 1.7 million Oblivion players here.
I have two quick questions,
I know that the manual talks about persuade, and there's a tutorial popup, but I still don't understand how it works.
And what's the purpose of the Grab (left bumper) button?
Can't you just pick up items with A?

[quote name='invinceable104']Hi there,
One of the 1.7 million Oblivion players here.
I have two quick questions,
I know that the manual talks about persuade, and there's a tutorial popup, but I still don't understand how it works.
And what's the purpose of the Grab (left bumper) button?
Can't you just pick up items with A?

To persuade, every person has 2 that they like (1 alot, another category little) then dislike (little to lot). I figure the bigger the crest thing, the more it will add to the category, then there disposition. Say they like joke and boast, then try to get the larger creast on those, and the smallest on the other two.

The grab, as much as I know, is to have some fun, and doesnt add to your weight. So if you overburdened, drop something and can carry it to a safer to remember spot.

Bump my question:
Is it every plus 10 levels on a minor category (say blade, blunt, h2h) equals a plus 5 bonus on major (strength)?

Grabbing is like holding an item in your hand. You can swing stuff around and move bodies into fireplaces naked... not that I'd ever do that. 8-[ However, it should be noted that if you try to move things that belong to another person it does constitute as stealing and the guards will be called.

Its 10 increases to skills of a stat. Like if you level blade and blunt 5 each you'll get a +5 mod to your STR because those skills are controlled by STR. Major and minor skills count. HOWEVER, if you level major skills 20 times, you'll level up twice and then all your minor leveling after that point will go to the SECOND level.

The safest way:

Raise major skills 9 times.
Raise other desired skills 20 times (total).
Raise final major skill 1 making sure your three desired stats get 10 leveled skills each.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']To persuade, every person has 2 that they like (1 alot, another category little) then dislike (little to lot). I figure the bigger the crest thing, the more it will add to the category, then there disposition. Say they like joke and boast, then try to get the larger creast on those, and the smallest on the other two.

The grab, as much as I know, is to have some fun, and doesnt add to your weight. So if you overburdened, drop something and can carry it to a safer to remember spot.

Bump my question:
Is it every plus 10 levels on a minor category (say blade, blunt, h2h) equals a plus 5 bonus on major (strength)?[/quote]

Just finished the thieves guild missions last night, and I thought the last one was pretty awesome, except that I only had 1 lockpick for the last 3 doors, which was a real bitch. Now to finish the Mage's guild and I'll have all the accomplishments :D

Grab is cooler than I thought. Here I was thinking it was useless.
That should help a lot. To set off some tripwire, I had to pick up random crap off the floor, and from my inventory, drop it and hope it flew far enough to set it off.
Grab should help a lot...yes it should.

I checked out this place called Rockmilk Cave after hearing about it on GameFAQs. Lots of glass and Orc armors in it, with a Daedric Warhammer at the end. I made about 25,000 gold, give or take a few thousand.

rockmilkcave.jpg

There is a war going on inside between Marauders and Black Bow gang members, so you will only have to kill half the people you meet.

Treasure has very little to do with location and more to do with your level.

[quote name='rabbitt']I checked out this place called Rockmilk Cave after hearing about it on GameFAQs. Lots of glass and Orc armors in it, with a Daedric Warhammer at the end. I made about 25,000 gold, give or take a few thousand.

rockmilkcave.jpg

There is a war going on inside between Marauders and Black Bow gang members, so you will only have to kill half the people you meet.[/quote]

Or, if you really want to do it the difficult way, you could just look at the wire and hit 'interact' to cut it. :lol:

[quote name='invinceable104']Grab is cooler than I thought. Here I was thinking it was useless.
That should help a lot. To set off some tripwire, I had to pick up random crap off the floor, and from my inventory, drop it and hope it flew far enough to set it off.
Grab should help a lot...yes it should.[/quote]

[quote name='The Dord']Wonder what level is when you get the best weapons/armor from npcs? I'm level 17 and I See very little Ebony and Haven't seen any daedric yet.[/quote]

Level 20 is when Daedric armor should show up.

I made a new character today, since my last character's main skills sucked. (Level 7 after 26 hours)

I got to level 5 in 2 hours, thanks to the arena. I'll go get the Umbra armor and the glass helmet next time I play.

Not sure if its been posted, but there is a glass helmet that has Night-eye and water breathing effects. The best thing about it is, that you can get it, no matter what level you are. Glass armor normally doesn't show up until you become level 12.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=433563

Hope that helps some people.

[quote name='Kayden']I lost all interest in the game after I beat it... such a shame. =([/QUOTE]

you have it for the PC though, so the mods give you a lot of replayability

[quote name='Technique']you have it for the PC though, so the mods give you a lot of replayability[/quote]

Same story, same monsters, same main quests... Its very difficult for a game to get my attention but very easy to lose it. I miss Diablo 2...

[quote name='Kayden']Same story, same monsters, same main quests... Its very difficult for a game to get my attention but very easy to lose it. I miss Diablo 2...[/QUOTE]

just wait for some total conversion mods, im sure there will be some out within a 2 months.

For the chorrel mages guild quest, what are the options if you decide to give it to that lady, I wanted to check to see what Id get, then later give it to the mages to get my recommendation, but I had and couldnt get any shock spells to hit the stone with, and thus couldnt see what Id get if I gave it to her.

[quote name='Kayden']Treasure has very little to do with location and more to do with your level.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my understanding is that treasure is randomly generated on dungeon entry (and is based upon level).

[quote name='Sku Rhim']Yeah, my understanding is that treasure is randomly generated on dungeon entry (and is based upon level).[/quote]

More specifically, its generated the first time you get the 'loading' screen in an area.

So I just totally fucked up the last Heist in the Thieve's Guild final quest.

I talked to the blind monk, and a quest update popped up, telling me I should run. So I did. All the way back to the damned Elven Garden District. With no scroll.

bread's done
Back