The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

omfg i just watched that 40 min gameplay. HOLY SHIT

but i want the CE so ill just wait until it hits $99.99

but if i can at least make $50 in gcs and cut the cost to $100 before release day then ill pre order it. already spending $120 on arkham city CE (got lucky with that pricing error a while back) and dark souls CE

[quote name='giantqtipz']omfg i just watched that 40 min gameplay. HOLY SHIT

but i want the CE so ill just wait until it hits $99.99

but if i can at least make $50 in gcs and cut the cost to $100 before release day then ill pre order it. already spending $120 on arkham city CE (got lucky with that pricing error a while back) and dark souls CE[/QUOTE]

Where is the video you watched?

"TEEEEEAABBBAAAGGGG!" "TEABAG HIM!" "TEABAG 'EM ALL!!!"

Best. Crowd. Ever.

I wish I could have been there. Everything about this game is drop dead gorgeous. I would have totally jumped off that cliff on horseback though just to hear the cheers. The only thing I want nothing to do with is gigantic screen eating spiders. They creep me out so badly. I had enough of those in Dragon Age II to last a lifetime. :cry:

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Do you know about the Best Buy deal? Buy 5 games from their list of eligible titles and you get a $100 gift card. All 6 of the games you listed are eligible in the deal too![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am considering that. I'm in the process of figuring out which ones I could wait until Black Friday/Christmas for, and which ones will have amazon credits. I'm pretty much figuring out how I can be as cheap as possible.

Playing Oblivion again in preparation, or should I say in anticipation, of Skyrim and I can't, just can't, wait to play around with the new combat system. Of course the game looks gorgeous though. I'll be running around picking alchemy items all over the place once again lol.

I probably haven't been so excited for a game to come out since Animal Crossing on the Gamecube. I'm still not as excited about Skyrim as I was with AC back when I was maybe 12, but I just don't get so hyped up about releases any more. :p This might be a game that I have to buy at launch, and I only do that with the CoD games any more. Hopefully there are good pre-order bonuses/exclusives so that I can feel good about not waiting for a GOTY edition. ;)

I rarely get games at launch, too, but I've been saving up GCs for this so it won't cost me much out of pocket. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't watch that video but I can't wait to download it later!

Holy crap! That looks INCREDIBLE!!!! Seeing it in motion is way better than the screenshots!! The only thing I wasn't real impressed with was the NPC voices, where the two characters were talking to each other it still sounded lifeless like in Oblivion. But this is a definite Day 1 for me--you guys holding out for the GOTY are more patient than I am, that's for sure.

LOL at that crowd too.

[quote name='sealionnn']That video went down before I could watch it! :( Stupid copyright laws![/QUOTE]

[youtube]XKL-mKH5_N4[/youtube]

It goes wonky at the end, but he's also got the second part up if you go to YT. There are other versions posted there too if this one goes down. Just search for "Skyrim Quakecon".

After watching some gameplay, I decided not only is this going to be the first game I ever preorder, I'm also going to need a projector so I can play it at 100".

i hope the leveling up system isnt retarted like in oblivion. i mean to get the most out of leveling up, you have to do a lot of things. it felt like a chore. the hardest difficulty is also unplayable because of the confusing leveling system

In that video, they described it as being like whatever skills/armor you use, you will level those particular interests accordingly. Seems great to me!

Oh man, i've been playing Oblivion again to get myself ready. I had NO idea what Skyrim had in store for me prior to watching the video. I'm SO excited!

I've said it before: just give me a Mass Effect game, an Elder Scrolls game and a Fall Out game and i'll be done for the year...and maybe tack on the new Batman game :)

After trying a bit more Assassin's Creed 2 last weekend, I think I've decided to put that one on hold and play more Oblivion to get ready for Skyrim.

[quote name='giantqtipz']i hope the leveling up system isnt retarted like in oblivion. i mean to get the most out of leveling up, you have to do a lot of things. it felt like a chore. the hardest difficulty is also unplayable because of the confusing leveling system[/QUOTE]

What's confusing about it? It works like any other RPG.

YES THANK YOU DEFTOAST

now its lacking hardcore mode. i want to eat, drink and sleep! not because my life is lacking all of those things but so because itll be more challenging :D

Great news on the levelling! Although I thought I'd read before that in some areas the enemies are levelled appropriate to your character, and some are a set level, so kind of a mix between FO3 and Oblivion. Also-

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has not been confirmed for any consoles but it is releasing November 11th, 2011.

What? :whistle2:s

[quote name='Survivalism']What's confusing about it? It works like any other RPG.[/QUOTE]

its confusing if you want to build an ULTRA powerful character. just because you level up doesnt mean your character is becoming powerful. you might be leveling up by raising the minor skills which have nothing to do with your characters class. so when you reach the cap, your character is still weak.

i forgot if thats how the leveling system works, but there is a whole article on that on the wiki for the game. the article covers problems with overleveling and underleveling. i played on the hardest difficulty and leveling up properly is necessary to make the difficulty bearable lol..

My review copy, kitty edition.

52e8dcc3b35d420eacf4c62b396c9b67_7.jpg

[quote name='bluedotlounge']My review copy, kitty edition.

[/QUOTE]

I'm so jealous! I wish I had a cat. :)

Hope you have fun with the game. Enjoy!

[quote name='praxus07']Ended up canceling my pre-order. I just can't get excited over whole nordic theme to the game, which I just can't stand.[/QUOTE]

What's so bad about a nordic theme?

[quote name='MrPiggles']What's so bad about a nordic theme?[/QUOTE]

I've just always had an aversion to nordic type things. Plus not a fan of the snowy landscapes nor the architecture.

It's not just the nordic theme, though that was my main reason. Don't like how they made the armors all one unit, from what I've read I won't like the leveling system, and really don't care for dual wielding magic either.

There's just so much I did like about oblivion, and there's so much I don't care for in Skyrim, it's just not worth the $60 tag to me.

[quote name='praxus07']I've just always had an aversion to nordic type things. Plus not a fan of the snowy landscapes nor the architecture.

It's not just the nordic theme, though that was my main reason. Don't like how they made the armors all one unit, from what I've read I won't like the leveling system, and really don't care for dual wielding magic either.

There's just so much I did like about oblivion, and there's so much I don't care for in Skyrim, it's just not worth the $60 tag to me.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I think most people would agree that Skyrim sounds like a huge step up from Oblivion, not the other way around. You're entitled, though....

[quote name='matrix9280']There's no multiplayer right? I hope not.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

[quote name='praxus07']I've just always had an aversion to nordic type things. Plus not a fan of the snowy landscapes nor the architecture.

There's just so much I did like about oblivion, and there's so much I don't care for in Skyrim, it's just not worth the $60 tag to me.[/QUOTE]

From what i've seen in the previews, there is a lot of non-snow lands. Lush forests in some cases.

I agree with your opinions on the leveling system and the armors, but then as soon as I think about those awesome random encounters and guild quests I'm back counting down the days.

So I am going to probably bite and get this game, but I decided to pick it up after I get my new 55 inch tv so I can enjoy it on the big screen. I currently use a 29 inch 720p tv :p

Not really a huge Oblivion fan but reading through this and watching all the gameplay videos definitely convinced me to buy day one. Kinda can't wait to play it now...!

The guide is for sure a must have though, I remember being completely overwhelmed during some parts in Oblivion.

[quote name='keithp']Wow. I think most people would agree that Skyrim sounds like a huge step up from Oblivion, not the other way around. You're entitled, though....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just watching all the vids, reading all the articles, that's what's put the damper on my wanting this game. It's just not really what I was expecting, or hoping for. It seems like all the stuff I did like in Oblivion is what the general public hated, and the devs removed or dumbed down. Guess I'll be playing Oblivion for another 5 years...LOL.

Here's something that will be returning to an Elder Scrolls game

381730_10150378066391089_50775641088_8446792_1584370721_n.jpg

A more obvious hint (includes info on a quest)

308541_10150378067941089_50775641088_8446799_2144500602_n.jpg

resampled20111102031008.jpg

eda8744fd7728079bd44524.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='praxus07']Yeah, just watching all the vids, reading all the articles, that's what's put the damper on my wanting this game. It's just not really what I was expecting, or hoping for. It seems like all the stuff I did like in Oblivion is what the general public hated, and the devs removed or dumbed down. Guess I'll be playing Oblivion for another 5 years...LOL.[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge Oblivion/Bethesda fan, and it seems like Skyrim will be a big step forward for an already amazing series. This is what makes me curious as to what aspects of the game you are referring to. Mind indulging me in your thoughts? ;)

After watching some of the leaked video of the first few minutes of the game I can see that the graphics look great. Faces are above those in Fallout and Oblivion.. but geez.. those animations are still there. Even if the first SCRIPTED event, a character float-slides from where he stopped walking to where he was supposed to be. It's a scripted event at the beginning of the game!! Everyone is going to see it! Can't they work that out? Still, it's just a minor annoyance. I guess when everything else is so awesome it's easy to blow the nit-picky stuff out of proportion. And speaking of that, there seems to be a lot of the screen going very dark to very bright as the character turns around. But that could just be the quality of the vids.

Can't wait for this game!!

I finally finished my two year old initial playthrough of Oblivion last night. Rather surprised I clocked in over 92 hours with it until I realized how many achievements I had. The earlier portion of the story and guild questlines are what must have kept me going because everything else felt rather stale. I'm almost tempted to start the DLC but I doubt there's much point to it. Just content I finally got it done because those Oblivion Gate runs were killing what little enthusiasm I had in finishing the game. Painfully tedious. Thank God for the Staff of Worms in the late game because there was no way in HELL I was rallying up troops with those f*ckers involved.

The hype for Skyrim continues! The first thing I'm going to do is find/build a shelter with reliable storage and start looting everything in sight. After a few quests under my belt start searching for followers so I don't have to tackle on ridiculously HUGE spiders alone cause THAT SHIT ain't happenin'. >_>

[quote name='sealionnn']I'm a huge Oblivion/Bethesda fan, and it seems like Skyrim will be a big step forward for an already amazing series. This is what makes me curious as to what aspects of the game you are referring to. Mind indulging me in your thoughts? ;)[/QUOTE]

In Oblivion? I loved the difficulty in grinding out the skills, getting it perfect to level up with 5/5/5. That seems to be what everyone else hated, and got royally dumbed down for the masses.

I'm hating the fact that you need perks (or perks for anything. That's fine for Fallout, but Elder Scrolls?) to enchant, and the fact that armors are one unit, enchanting those is going to suck, especially when you could put 5 different enchants on each piece of armor in Oblivion.

The skyrim interface isn't my cuppa tea either. Dragon shouts just seem like a really stupid idea, I'm completely turned off by that new aspect. And the whole dual wielding thing, hate it. Also hate the facty you need to "charge" your spells before firing to make them more powerful, that's going to make mages useless, IMO. Most of your mana wasted on shooting off one or two spells.

I'm just really not into everything I've read or seen.

I think only the curiass and greaves were combined. Helmet, gauntlets, and boots are still there. However, this allows Bethesda to make more variety and look better in general. It's also more convenient since there's less for you to sort through in the menu.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I finally finished my two year old initial playthrough of Oblivion last night. Rather surprised I clocked in over 92 hours with it until I realized how many achievements I had. The earlier portion of the story and guild questlines are what must have kept me going because everything else felt rather stale. I'm almost tempted to start the DLC but I doubt there's much point to it. Just content I finally got it done because those Oblivion Gate runs were killing what little enthusiasm I had in finishing the game. Painfully tedious. Thank God for the Staff of Worms in the late game because there was no way in HELL I was rallying up troops with those f*ckers involved.

The hype for Skyrim continues! The first thing I'm going to do is find/build a shelter with reliable storage and start looting everything in sight. After a few quests under my belt start searching for followers so I don't have to tackle on ridiculously HUGE spiders alone cause THAT SHIT ain't happenin'. >_>[/QUOTE]

The Shivering Isles DLC was really good, I would reccomend that.

I told myself I'd start off completely in the dark as to the real plot, but here I am browsing the Wiki scoping out perks and shit. I have no self control I swear. On the bright side what I've seen has made me very excited. The only problem now is deciding on a main class or a hybrid. I can't ignore the allure of a full fledged Conjurer, but an Archer/Mage - Thief/Archer sounds like more fun. Less maintenance, heartier, better armor, smithing and close quarter options. Not to mention a smoother transition from early to late game where as with a Conjurer I'll probably be struggling for a while with a potentially huge pay off to look forward to in the future. I'll also have access to enchanting, be better prepared for Dragons I'd imagine and not have to worry about the law half as much.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Piggles - I'll keep that mind. Thanks man.

[quote name='icedrake523']I think only the curiass and greaves were combined. Helmet, gauntlets, and boots are still there. However, this allows Bethesda to make more variety and look better in general. It's also more convenient since there's less for you to sort through in the menu.[/QUOTE]

It is, unfortunately, the end of the heavy iron chestplate and no pants look. :cry:

bread's done
Back