The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

[quote name='icedrake523']I think only the curiass and greaves were combined. Helmet, gauntlets, and boots are still there. However, this allows Bethesda to make more variety and look better in general. It's also more convenient since there's less for you to sort through in the menu.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how making one large "piece" instead of two allows for more variety or even look better. To me it's limiting, and allows for even less variety. As far as convenience, couldn't care less about sorting. More is always better than less, at least to me.

If I want an elven chest and glass leggings I'm screwed out of my choice, one more reason Skyrim is a step down.

[quote name='praxus07']I don't see how making one large "piece" instead of two allows for more variety or even look better. To me it's limiting, and allows for even less variety. As far as convenience, couldn't care less about sorting. More is always better than less, at least to me.

If I want an elven chest and glass leggings I'm screwed out of my choice, one more reason Skyrim is a step down.[/QUOTE]

In Oblivion, there were only 8 total suits of armor (4 heavy, 4 light). Most unique stuff was just a slight variation of one of these. There will probably be more in Skyrim. And they will look better.

[quote name='icedrake523']In Oblivion, there were only 8 total suits of armor (4 heavy, 4 light). Most unique stuff was just a slight variation of one of these. There will probably be more in Skyrim. And they will look better.[/QUOTE]

Actually there were 12 sets of plain armor, not counting the armor set from Knights of the Nine and the The Vile Lair, and the set you get at the end of the main quest. So that's 12 sets to mess combinations with. Even if they do have more sets, they'll be less pieces, not something I consider an upgrade.

[quote name='icedrake523']Most of the armor in Oblivion looked like crap anyway.[/QUOTE]

^This x10. Don't even get me started on how long it took to find a decent looking piece of light armor. If you weren't into the heavy persuasion you were screwed when it came to aesthetics IMO.

I thought the Glass and Amber sets looked alright (if a bit garish). I look forward to seeing what they look like this time.

Since the XBL Marketplace has Skyrim avatar items you can get a sneak peek so to speak. If they are anything like what I saw while browsing earlier today I'll be content. Very tempted to buy the pet dragon prop but I'll wait until I've spent a couple of in-game hours before I decide its worth.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']^This x10. Don't even get me started on how long it took to find a decent looking piece of light armor. If you weren't into the heavy persuasion you were screwed when it came to aesthetics IMO.[/QUOTE]

I thought the light armor was cool until you hit the glass set. The fugly glass just didn't seem like it should be light armor. That brotherhood set is where it's at though!

Funny everyone mentions the one set where I had to draw the line because as you said it honestly didn't fit the part to begin with IMO. I wore it for maybe a couple a quests before I realized how over the top it was. Plus I couldn't help but wince a bit every time someone struck my character. I mean glass... really? Weirded me out.

If I were playing an evil, ninja or assassin type of character the DB set would have been right up my alley. I ended up settling for just the hood after the Arena quest line earned me my first murder which then triggered a surprise invite. Once I found out the messenger carried a couple rare items my inn room was the last room he ever saw, haha. Not that it mattered since him being evil honor bound my character to kill him for the greater good anyway.

I hope there's a better selection of katanas in game because I'm seriously leaning toward making a Samurai. At the very least saving it for a second profile. The allure of using a bow with certain perks in this game sounds too good to pass up. My sole gripe at the moment is the apparent lack of crafting your own arrows when you can smith armor and weapons. It doesn't make much sense to me unless they truly are that expensive/rare or the skill itself is that broken. You can recover them as you could in Oblivion which is nice, but durability is my main concern.

Yeah. I have multiple saves though so I'm hoping one of them is pre-invite rather than post. I don't feel like creating a new profile for it. Tempted though as its quest line and the Shivering Isles DLC are only my remaining achievements.

I cannot help but think that this time around using a bow and arrow might be a little easier. Last time it was obviously more difficult then using a simple longsword + shield. Only a small amount of time before Skyrim comes out, I might end up trying out the bow a bit more but man it is difficult to use in Oblivion.

Most definitely. From the perks I've seen and game mechanics I've touched base on Archery is much improved from Oblivion. Some perks even allow the player to
zoom in for precision aiming, recover twice the amount of arrows from your victims and slow down time for a bit whilst hard aiming.
Powerful but seems balanced enough on paper... until ES vets find a way to exploit it, haha. I'm really looking forward to putting it through its paces next week.

If all else fails I can still sneak around as a thief till my heart is content. I'm sure there's plenty of Dragon Shouts and equipment out in the world that will help fill any gaping holes in my initial build anyway.

[quote name='icedrake523']You missed the Dark Brotherhood quests? Those were the best.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. The Dark Brotherhood quests are literally the best in the game, just ahead of the quests for the Thieves Guild.

You HAVE to play them.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Yeah. I have multiple saves though so I'm hoping one of them is pre-invite rather than post. I don't feel like creating a new profile for it. Tempted though as its quest line and the Shivering Isles DLC are only my remaining achievements.[/QUOTE]

I hated Shivering Isles. I wouldn't recommend it.

I never played Oblivion or the Fallouts, but I broke down and preordered Skyrim today. Hope I like it. I'm a big fantasy RPG fan, so I can't see how I would not like this.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I never played Oblivion or the Fallouts, but I broke down and preordered Skyrim today. Hope I like it. I'm a big fantasy RPG fan, so I can't see how I would not like this.[/QUOTE] I've also never played either series, and calling me an RPG newb would be slightly insulting to RPG newbs, but my wife is asking me for ideas for what she can get me for Christmas, and I keep thinking about suggesting Skyrim. I'm just worried that I'd be lost; I don't know how accessible a title like this would be for someone just dipping their toe in the RPG waters.

For anyone that's not sure if they want Skyrim or not, this should give you a good look at the game:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/12-hours-of-skyrim-12-hours-of-greg-kasavin-this-thursday/3798/

I remember watching some of the Gamespot marathon for Oblivion 5 years ago by Kasavin, and it was really cool. I'm hoping that they put it up to watch later, or put together a highlight clip like Gamespot did for the Oblivion marathon. I want to go into Skyrim without seeing or hearing anything else about it, so this is something I'll want to watch a month from now, but I'll avoid at least until I'm well into the game myself.

One more treacherous day left until Skyrim and I still haven't decided on a class yet. Oh well. There's still time while I'm creating my character because God knows that is a 1 - 2 hour endeavor in itself. I'm just happy to finally have a new RPG to play.

12 hours late posting this but it's still great

skyrimcountdown.jpg

[quote name='bvharris']Has anyone's Amazon pre-order shipped for release-date delivery yet? Mine still says "shipping soon."[/QUOTE]

My order also says 'Shipping Soon' and Delivery estimate is still Nov 11.

My Strat guide, which I ordered seperately, says 'Not Yet Shipped' but also has a delivery date of Nov 11.

I have off tomorrow so I guess I'll play CoD MW3 until Skyrim shows up.

I read somewhere about 10pm releases some places. Does anyone know what stores are doing that? Best Buy? The GameStops I called are either doing midnight or 9am tomorrow. :/ I don't mind waiting until midnight but I'll be getting out of something right at 10 so I figured it would be perfect timing.

[quote name='ubernes']I read somewhere about 10pm releases some places. Does anyone know what stores are doing that? Best Buy? The GameStops I called are either doing midnight or 9am tomorrow. :/ I don't mind waiting until midnight but I'll be getting out of something right at 10 so I figured it would be perfect timing.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop opens at 10 for it, but you can't actually get the game until midnight. I'm not aware of any Best Buys doing it.

Not long now gents! I caught some of the live streams today and I'm psyched-- I didn't watch a lot 'cos I didn't want to spoil too much but from what I saw this will totally blow OB and MW away!

Oblivion was one of my top 3 favorite games of all time, and I've been gaming since Atari (well my parent's Atari anyways lol). Yes, I think it's that good. It's brilliant in just about every way, and every gamer needs to experience it. I paid off my Skyrim pre-order tonight on Gamestop with some credit I had saved up. I can't wait to get my hands on this game tomorrow!

[quote name='Pck21']Oblivion was one of my top 3 favorite games of all time, and I've been gaming since Atari (well my parent's Atari anyways lol). Yes, I think it's that good. It's brilliant in just about every way, and every gamer needs to experience it. I paid off my Skyrim pre-order tonight on Gamestop with some credit I had saved up. I can't wait to get my hands on this game tomorrow![/QUOTE]
Dude, go to the midnight release!

[quote name='icedrake523']I hated Shivering Isles. I wouldn't recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Really? I loved it because it was vastly different than the core game.

can anyone confirm that you can smith your own arrows? instead of finding them or constantly buying them? how have the sales been for games like this? is this gonna be like cod where its $60 until the next one or should i expect it to hit $30-40 by black friday or by christmas-februrary

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I couldn't get into Shivering Isles either... can't remember why though, just remember hating it.[/QUOTE]

I loved the Shivering Isles, there was a lot of new stuff, and the scenery was pretty damn cool. If you can remember why you hated it, then you should go give it another spin.

And on a side note, the premium quality map for Skyrim is nice, although I was hoping it would be cloth...

[quote name='adriley313']anyone buy it from amazon and not get the map
i placed my order in july[/QUOTE]

i was under the impression the premium map comes included in the box...i havent opened my copy yet.

actually ppl are saying you're supposed to get a cloth map as the preorder bonus as every standard copy/ preorder or not will come with a glossy paper on inside...bethesda said it would feel like burlap on their website.

i think i got a standard copy as a preorder, im going to call walmart.

bread's done
Back