The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

[quote name='IRHari']So this will probably get a GOTY version with all the DLC, right?[/QUOTE]

You can bet on it. But it won't be for a long time, of course. This game is everything OB should've been.

Has anyone found an enchantment yet? I encountered my first altar today, but couldnt enchant anything because i needed to find an enchantment...

[quote name='matto1233']Has anyone found an enchantment yet? I encountered my first altar today, but couldnt enchant anything because i needed to find an enchantment...[/QUOTE]

Take a magic item you have that you don't mind destroying to the alter and disenchant it. You'll get a permanent enchantment you can put on other items.

It's kind of annoying how you'll get deep into a random dungeon and be out of your element. Whereas I could take out a random dragon without that much difficulty. I guess I am just used to the dragon's from the old baldur's gate series being total nightmares.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']It's kind of annoying how you'll get deep into a random dungeon and be out of your element. Whereas I could take out a random dragon without that much difficulty. I guess I am just used to the dragon's from the old baldur's gate series being total nightmares.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're saying, but what I REALLY hate is when you're deep into a dungeon, then find out you will probably get raped unless you leave and come back at a higher level. It's happened numerous times to me.

Take a magic item you have that you don't mind destroying to the alter and disenchant it. You'll get a permanent enchantment you can put on other items.
Thanks!

What's the best way to make a lot of money early on (5 hrs in). I want to buy a house.
Pocket every single ingredient you can and make potions at the Whiterun alchemist, then turn around and sell the potions to the alchemist.

Can you join an guild without consequences, like being locked out of another guild or quests or anything?

Also is my stuff safe in my room at the college in wintethold?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='saunderscowie']Anyway of checking how many hours you've put into the game? I looked briefly on the stats page but couldn't see anything.[/QUOTE]

When you go to save it tells you.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']anyone get that first companion for
helping the Jarl of whiterun all the way, he gives you that companion to help /follow you. well i had her follow me everywhere no problem yesterday, i saved and went to bed last night, am playing now and shes no where to be found?
[/QUOTE]

First companion is actually in Riverwood. There's a small miscellaneous quest there that gets you one of two people, depending on your choice.

I found that if your follower is far behind you when you go into a new zone, they will stay in the older zone. I'm not sure if they will eventually make it through though. I've found that fast traveling will usually put them right next to you.

[quote name='seanr1221']Just make daggers over and over?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Buy all the iron ignots and leather straps from the blacksmith, then use their furnace to make the daggers and sell them right back. You'll lose out on money, but about twenty daggers will get you around 8-10 skill levels.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Can you join an guild without consequences, like being locked out of another guild or quests or anything?[/QUOTE]

I think the Stormcloaks and Imperials are the only ones that lock you out from the other.

[quote name='gnargnargnar']Game definitely has its claws in me. Playing the PC version, but this seems to be the only active ESV thread, so I guess I'll hang out here. I am playing with a 360 controller, though, as the menu is not mouse and keyboard friendly at all.

15 hours played so far, and I'm ready to crawl back into it again.

Level 15, almost 16 Female Nord. Heavy Armor, 1h mace and shield. Smithing and Enchanting. The crafting is probably responsible for several of my levels.

Today, I spent a lot of time on non-questy stuff. Still had a blast.

Crafted my own set of armor:
Dwarven Armor
dwarfarmor.jpg

Ran into my second dragon while out gathering mats for the other half of my armor
dragon2.jpg

Gathered money to purchase a house and fully upgrade it.
Awesome storage options since I am a packrat, including two bookshelves to house my collection of already 50+ unique books
bookshelf.jpg

And finally got a horse. Heavy Armor makes you move rather slowly, so this was welcome
esvhorse.jpg

What an epic game so far.[/QUOTE]

Dwarven Armor looks sick! How much did that weigh?

[quote name='Pck21']I fucking love this game.[/QUOTE]

Same. Possibly my favorite game of all time and I'm only ~10 hrs in. It's definitely up there with Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2.

*sigh* I think I broke a quest.

So Hircine is the god of the hunt or whatever, and I agree to kill Sinding, the escaped werewolf for him. I follow Sinding to his hunting ground with all the dead, would-be hunters all over the place. I run into Sinding but he's a beast and I'm level 2. So I manage to escape from his hunting spot and although he comes out after me, I hide and he heads off down the main road. As he proceeds down the road, he kills everything he comes across. I eventually get tired of following him and run off to do other quests.

I get to level 5 after some random stuff and decide to go back after Sinding. I follow his quest marker back to the cell he starts off in. The quest still wants me to kill him to I blast him with arrows until he dies and then the game wants me to skin him. The only problem is that he's lying on the ground in his cell far away from me. There's no way to open the cell and he doesn't run up and out of the cell like he did at the very beginning of the quest. I was having a blast but this sucks. I might start over and make sure that I don't begin with quest next time until I'm a higher level so I can kill him one on one.

[quote name='Indignate']

Yes. Buy all the iron ignots and leather straps from the blacksmith, then use their furnace to make the daggers and sell them right back. You'll lose out on money, but about twenty daggers will get you around 8-10 skill levels.

[/QUOTE]

Sell them back one at a time and it will build up your speech skill

Apparently the main quest where you sneak into a certain party has a glitch on it. Basically you have to give a guy all the items you want him to bring you. When I got into the party and the guy gave me my equipment back I didn't notice that my best Dragon Priest mask & Unique Armor were gone. I had already gone through the 3 auto-saves so it was too late >

Oh man, I think my character has
contracted vampirism. A couple of people have told me I don't look too well, right after I cleared a dungeon of them out. I hated that in OB, guess I need to look for a cure.

This may be my favorite game on 360! I'm finding it much more addicting and involving than the Fallouts....and I'm a huge Fallout fan...

[quote name='keithp']Oh man, I think my character has
contracted vampirism. A couple of people have told me I don't look too well, right after I cleared a dungeon of them out. I hated that in OB, guess I need to look for a cure.
[/QUOTE]

You should have three days before it sticks. Visiting any of the temples, shrines, or a general cure diseases potion/spell should do the trick.

so I found Lydia... and we quested and quested and quested some more. Until some hired thugs ambushed us after we just got done taking on a bunch of highway bandits and their leader, we were weakened... Lydia was killed in the battle. I will avenge her. Who hired these thugs? is there no way to find out?? :(

also... I have 10 dragon souls gathered up... and 3 shouts, only one of which is maxed out 3rd tier (unrelenting force)... I'm trying to spend the souls on fire breath to get it to third tier but I can't?? how do I upgrade it past level one shout?

I have yet to figure out how to jump on-top of a dragon and beat the shit out it. Do I hit a certain button when it's health is low?

just built a full suit of dragonscale armor for my cat creature... now what??

I guess now I play the game.... lol

still have to fully upgrade it all and then enchant too ._.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']so I found Lydia... and we quested and quested and quested some more. Until some hired thugs ambushed us after we just got done taking on a bunch of highway bandits and their leader, we were weakened... Lydia was killed in the battle. I will avenge her. Who hired these thugs? is there no way to find out?? :([/QUOTE]

If they were Hired Thugs, then they should have had a letter on them that says who hired them. It usually ends up being someone you stole from although they don't really acknowledge this if you confront them afterwards.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']also... I have 10 dragon souls gathered up... and 3 shouts, only one of which is maxed out 3rd tier (unrelenting force)... I'm trying to spend the souls on fire breath to get it to third tier but I can't?? how do I upgrade it past level one shout?[/QUOTE]

Other than the words you learn from the Greybeards, you have to learn all the other words from Walls first.

[quote name='Sistros']I have yet to figure out how to jump on-top of a dragon and beat the shit out it. Do I hit a certain button when it's health is low?[/QUOTE]

It's random like any finishing move.

Love the game, but glitches are awful and everywhere I keep having to backtrack because I randomly get stuck between things and can't move so they have many bugs to patch up.

Here's what I like about Skyrim thus far:
- The interface, even though it probably sucks on PC
- The music, crank that shit up all day, everyday
- Magic attacks are a lot better than in Oblivion.
- I don't feel quite as lost as I did when I started playing Oblvion.

Here's what I don't like about Skyrim thus far:
- Voice Acting. It's slightly better than Oblivion, but only because they have more than 6 people this time.
- The combat. While improved over Oblivion, it still sucks. Random Kill animations don't improve my interactivity.
- The Map. fucking terrible. Oblivion's worked so much better than this.
- Texture issues from HDD install. Pretty poor programming.
- The Auto-Save. This is by far my most hated feature about this game. It's fucking TERRIBLE. Instead of setting it to save after every action or so I have to set it a specific time interval. What kind of lazy bullshit is this? I've lost about an hour of progress through 4 deaths or so thus far because of it.

I decided to have this weekend to myself to play the game and I already have 24 hours invested into it. I'm liking it a lot more than Oblivion. Dragons kick my ass but its still a lot of fun. The horses you can get are totally broken (WTF are physics?!) As they can climb mountains with ease. Funny though. I have yet to start on the Brotherhood though I just started the thieves guild. There are so many side quests. O.O

[quote name='KingBroly']Here's what I like about Skyrim thus far:
- The interface, even though it probably sucks on PC
- The music, crank that shit up all day, everyday
- Magic attacks are a lot better than in Oblivion.
- I don't feel quite as lost as I did when I started playing Oblvion.

Here's what I don't like about Skyrim thus far:
- Voice Acting. It's slightly better than Oblivion, but only because they have more than 6 people this time.
- The combat. While improved over Oblivion, it still sucks. Random Kill animations don't improve my interactivity.
- The Map. fucking terrible. Oblivion's worked so much better than this.
- Texture issues from HDD install. Pretty poor programming.
- The Auto-Save. This is by far my most hated feature about this game. It's fucking TERRIBLE. Instead of setting it to save after every action or so I have to set it a specific time interval. What kind of lazy bullshit is this? I've lost about an hour of progress through 4 deaths or so thus far because of it.[/QUOTE]

You know you can manually save, right?

[quote name='seanr1221']You know you can manually save, right?[/QUOTE]

When did video games add manual saving?! You speak witchcraft!

[quote name='Luxuria']When did video games add manual saving?! You speak witchcraft![/QUOTE]

The blasphemous fiend - how dare he suggest such outlandish things! Burn the aide of the witch! Burn him good!

Seriously though the inner geek in me couldn't stop smiling when the Companions swore me in as a member. This game is pretty f*cking awesome. Totally surpassing my initial expectations so far. I'm seriously going to have to up my smithing game though as I just found out I could forge all the spare gems I looted into actual expensive jewelry. Oh yes... my Dragonborn is getting paid up in this bitch. I'm already scheming on a new home because the one I have now is WAY too small for both me and Lydia. A thane of Whiterun should be living like a prince damnit and if one more guard tells my Redguard ass to watch myself my archer is gonna go on a sniping spree.

I still wish companions had more conversation trees though. Such a missed opportunity. :cry:

Btw how do you use filled soul gems to recharge weapons? I haven't quite figured it out yet. Does the item have to be equipped first or what?

Another gold making scheme, a bit time consuming but it also raises Alteration, Smithing, and Speech.

Go to Whiterun.
Talk to the Redguard Amren, accept quest.
Go to "Halted Stream Camp".
After getting the quest item, look on the table/shelf nearby for a Transmute Spellbook.
(don't forget all the ore deposits and Mammoth tusks in here)

If you found the book, you can now use magic to change the properties of Ore: Iron to Silver to Gold.

Two iron ore (5g each) can be made into one gold ingot which makes 2 gold rings (+80g each) or one gold necklace (+180g).
Adding a little enchantment doesn't hurt either.

Meh, I haven't had but an hour in the past four days to sit down and play Skyrim. I went to the midnight launch and as of today I'm barely level 4. I intended to play it all day but somehow I'm now working until midnight on my day off. Haha, life.

I will say, though, I'm pretty happy with the random VATS-like animations. I hit a zombie in the face with my large mace and it stuck there for a second and went THWACK and that moment alone was worth the $64.

Two things I'm not crazy about, I can't seem figure out how to remove my custom waypoint which is driving me nuts. The other is not being able to view your character on your stats screen. I hope these things are there and I just haven't found them yet because, seriously, the waypoint thing is pissing me off.

There was a random dragon I was fighting and it flew off and landed a little bit away. It landed by 3 stormcloaks. As I run towards it, it kills one of them then turns around and kills another.

Once I get there, me, my companion, a stormcloak, and 3 horses start gangbanging it. To see 3 horses charge a dragon was pretty comical. Those Skyrim horses are serious business.

[quote name='Survivalism']Two things I'm not crazy about, I can't seem figure out how to remove my custom waypoint which is driving me nuts. The other is not being able to view your character on your stats screen. I hope these things are there and I just haven't found them yet because, seriously, the waypoint thing is pissing me off.[/QUOTE]

For the waypoint, click any other location (ie map marker) on the map. It'll ask you if you want to move the waypoint, remove it from the map, or cancel.

Except for the first one, Dragons mostly ignore me and choose to kill Bandits, Mammoths, and other local wildlife.

Not complaining though, I just run up from behind and hack away, then scour all the dead bodies afterwards.

[quote name='Indignate']

Other than the words you learn from the Greybeards, you have to learn all the other words from Walls first.

[/QUOTE]

so the secondary and third tier for each shout are actually different words all together? if so that sucks, gonna take forever to spend all these souls...

There's an exploit that allows easy leveling of speech (I found this in the Elder Scrolls Wikia), at the Black-Briar Meadery in Riften, you can pursuade Ungrien indefinitely to tell you the truth about Mavel Black-Briar (provided you have your speech already at 25). I would jump on this bandwagon quickly since it'll probably get fixed in the next patch.

So I decided to make a new character for whatever reason (planned on going thru the game 3 times, with a rogue, mage, warrior). well... made my character, just saved the game, over my level 31's save with 40+ hours invested into it. and all the fucking auto saves are for my level 1 as well. my main character is completely gone. i'm a fucking idiot I can't believe i just did that..... :cry::cry:

I loved that character :(

looks like I'm now done with this game for awhile... gonna take some time to get over that lmao fuck

I'd say the saving in Skyrim is probably worse than Mass Effect 1. You lose so much progress.

I've run into a bit of a problem on the Marriage Side Quest. Game won't give me a prompt to say yes during the Ceremony. It just kinda...does nothing after "the other bride" says now and forever. Really weird. I don't know how to fix it, either.

EDIT: Got it work after turning my system off. Bethesda...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']I'd say the saving in Skyrim is probably worse than Mass Effect 1. You lose so much progress.
[/QUOTE]

I think that most people that play RPGs are used to saving their progress manually so I don't see what the problem is. Who the hell isn't going to take 5 seconds to put down a save after a difficult fight or advancing the story or a certain amount of time has passed anyway?

And as far as I can tell the game autosaves every time you enter a new area, just like most other games. Are you spending hours in one spot?

[quote name='KingBroly']
EDIT: Got it work after turning my system off. Bethesda...[/QUOTE]

This game is glitchy as fuck. I don't know if it is as bad as New Vegas was when it launched but I think Skyrim is getting sort of a pass with the whole issue because of how pretty it is.

I restarted after being pissed that I couldn't finish the quest I mentioned earlier and I'm being super-careful to not start any quest that sounds like it might bug out on me. I have a feeling that I'll be collecting bounties until the game gets patched again.

I am just manually auto-saving... and A LOT, I lost a lot of progress the first time and figured I better just get used to manually autosaving. I want to install this on my hard drive so bad too. My new slim is making a loud noise while spinning the disk off and on for some reason.

Minor gripes aside this is the best game I have played in a long time, I haven't even fought a Dragon just running around doing random things and exploring. 7 hours in and I don;t think I have done anything yet

shit, I just read a couple pages back and I think I have vampirism, everyone is telling me how horrible I look but I dont even think I fought a vampire lol

a lot of times ppl tell you that you don't look too hot or well, that's usually a sign you contracted a disease. most likely from fighting with undead which is very possible early on in the game. another thing to check is under the magic "powers" tab and see what you have active. If you have vampirism it'll say for sure.

bread's done
Back