The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

[quote name='matto1233']Money is really no object for me anymore, it's about to be north of 60000 septims, so everytime I visit a store, I invest in it as well.[/QUOTE]

that's what i was trying to say earlier...i stop looting anything under ebony at this point due to the weight/profit ratio and if the item is worth more than what the vendor has, i'll take the loss so i dont have to deal w/it later. i won't say how much I have though...but I could probably buy whiterun.

[quote name='100xp']i won't say how much I have though...but I could probably buy whiterun.[/QUOTE]

C'mon, you know you want to say it. I think I've got 12,000, which is meager in comparison. And I've only bought the house in Whiterun and fully upgraded it, I still have yet to purchase other properties. I loot everything I can carry and I pretty much never purchase anything (except last night, when I finally broke down and bought some Dwarven ingots).

I wonder if it's a glitch anyone else has experienced but I cannot get the Dark Brotherhood to contact me. I've completed "Innocence Lost" and yet they have never sent a courier. I've waited multiple days, slept at inns, fast traveled, etc and yet they still do not come!

[quote name='100xp']that's what i was trying to say earlier...i stop looting anything under ebony at this point due to the weight/profit ratio and if the item is worth more than what the vendor has, i'll take the loss so i dont have to deal w/it later. i won't say how much I have though...but I could probably buy whiterun.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have a fully furnished house in every town, even though I only use one. I wanted to spend some money lol.

Hey guys, I've had a really busy semester at college so I have not played this game yet, but my last exam is tomorrow and this winter break will be ALL skyrim.

So before I start, are there any things I should know about/any helpful tips?

Speaking of the thieves guild, the one lady refuses to leave the basement of that in so I can meet her at (flaggon rock or something?) What do I do with this?

(Sorry I am away from my game and can barely remember the real names of things)

[quote name='hootie']Hey guys, I've had a really busy semester at college so I have not played this game yet, but my last exam is tomorrow and this winter break will be ALL skyrim.

So before I start, are there any things I should know about/any helpful tips?[/QUOTE]

some basics from my experience:
- archery is both a great and rewarding experience in addition to incredibly OP and can easily change what you originally planned to do with your character. While there is certainly nothing wrong with using archery, I'd would seriously consider investing in the archery tree or not at all so you don't rely on it too heavily. Death from a distance is a serious understatement, esp since you will automatically deal 2x the normal damage while sneaking and perks to make that number significantly greater.

- don't concern yourself too much with hording/looting/buying/selling, there comes a point in the game where you can pretty much buy anything w/out batting an eyelash. My OCD in RPG's has probably contributed to 40% of my actual hours played. Enjoy the game and the storyline, dont get caught up in organizing all your equipment.

- Potions, scrolls, and books are weight ninjas. You'll wonder why you're always so overburdened...check your pots. You probably have accumulated several dozen potions each weighing 0.5 lbs. That adds up quickly. Drink, sell, or store the stuff you don't think you'll be using or needing.

- you can't really go wrong early in the game, virtually every character can near max out every skill available, the only thing you're really limited to is your perks...but even then, if you put in a few perks into blocking then decided you're going full archery, you honestly won't miss it. Just go literally use what you think you want to, and experiement. When you find the a harmony in your offense/defense just continued useage for the most part will level you your skill and you up.

- have fun.

[quote name='hootie']Hey guys, I've had a really busy semester at college so I have not played this game yet, but my last exam is tomorrow and this winter break will be ALL skyrim.

So before I start, are there any things I should know about/any helpful tips?[/QUOTE]

The only thing you need to know is that it will be the greatest game you ever played.

(not to over sell it or anything) :)

thanks for the help guys! I sank about 300-400 hours in the 360 version of oblivion and loved every second of it so I'm expecting to be blown away by this game. I've tried to keep myself as far away from information on the game as possible. I've seen very short videos and a few screenshots but this will be a totally new and I'm guessing awesome experience for me so I can't wait.

[quote name='hootie']thanks for the help guys! I sank about 300-400 hours in the 360 version of oblivion and loved every second of it so I'm expecting to be blown away by this game. I've tried to keep myself as far away from information on the game as possible. I've seen very short videos and a few screenshots but this will be a totally new and I'm guessing awesome experience for me so I can't wait.[/QUOTE]

You will easily double that number, I assure you. You're in for a treat!! Enjoy!!

I'm about to leave work and go home where my copy of Skyrim is waiting for me from Amazon. Never played an Elder Scrolls game before (played Oblivion for an hour and thats it), so wondering what a good character build would be to start with. thanks.

[quote name='GamerDude316']I'm about to leave work and go home where my copy of Skyrim is waiting for me from Amazon. Never played an Elder Scrolls game before (played Oblivion for an hour and thats it), so wondering what a good character build would be to start with. thanks.[/QUOTE]

Unlike Oblivion, the leveling is much more simpler, for better or for worse. Unlike in Oblivion, when you started you had to choose your preferred skills, and sign, and stat distribution, in Skyrim the only thing you choose is your race. When you levelup, you get to choose whether you want to increase health, magicka, or stamina, and you get one perk. All in all, it's pretty simple, and you really don't make any character build when you start.

[quote name='MrPiggles']Unlike Oblivion, the leveling is much more simpler, for better or for worse. Unlike in Oblivion, when you started you had to choose your preferred skills, and sign, and stat distribution, in Skyrim the only thing you choose is your race. When you levelup, you get to choose whether you want to increase health, magicka, or stamina, and you get one perk. All in all, it's pretty simple, and you really don't make any character build when you start.[/QUOTE]

good to know thanks. I'm excited to jump into it tonight, been hearing a lot about this game. Is there any major difference among the races (ie certain races can only do certain quests) that I should be aware of? Trying not to Wiki too much as I dont want a lot of story spoilers

[quote name='GamerDude316']good to know thanks. I'm excited to jump into it tonight, been hearing a lot about this game. Is there any major difference among the races (ie certain races can only do certain quests) that I should be aware of? Trying not to Wiki too much as I dont want a lot of story spoilers[/QUOTE]

You get a little info on the races before you pick them. I decided I wanted to be an archer so I picked a Wood Elf, I'd be thinking along those lines...how do you want to go about playing this game? Magic? Stealth? Melee? And then when you decide just find a race that seems to fit.

Like mentioned before if you want to be good at, say, melee you just need to hit people with a sword and your melee level increases.

[quote name='GamerDude316']good to know thanks. I'm excited to jump into it tonight, been hearing a lot about this game. Is there any major difference among the races (ie certain races can only do certain quests) that I should be aware of? Trying not to Wiki too much as I dont want a lot of story spoilers[/QUOTE]

Each race has tbeir own racial bonuses, but any race can do anything. In terms of quests, all races can do all quests, xcept some dialog may be different.

A buddy got a copy of Skyrim the other day and now we have to both watch out for spoiling events for eachother. It's surprisingly difficult to do that considering how expansive and open the game is.

as mentioned earlier any race can do anything, the racial skill bonuses are just that...they are bonuses at the start of the game, but every race can eventually cap their skills. there is some interesting reactions depending on your race which is nice but nothing that is gamebreaking.

I'm playing on expert now, it's definitely a lot more fun and challenging...I've also refrained from using the bow for anything offensive yet. :D

I'm still just a noob with about 8 hours put into Skyrim thus far so I'm sure my questions are a bit elementary. Do you have to do anything to keep your horse? I just bought my first one to help get around a bit faster but I'm wondering if I go into a dungeon or get into combat how does it return to you? Is it always just around waiting for you? Also, am I correct in assuming that you can't really do anything while on horseback? It seems tedious to have to get down every time you want to talk to someone.

I'm loving the game overall! On advice from my brother-in-law who's an Elder Scrolls nut I picked a Breton for a nice melee/magic combo. I'm mostly working on building up destruction, restoration, and one-handed combat right now so I can have the other free for spells. It's pretty incredible to play a game where I can hold a sword in one hand, heal myself with the other, or dual wield fire, or use fire and a sword, etc etc endlessly...

horses seem to only aid you in moving from area to area with greater speed since you will no doubt run out of stamina while sprinting, it also allows you to move at the horse's speed when you're encumbered and can't fast travel or even walk more than a snail's space.

i've actually never bought a horse but I've stolen a few and the horses if dismounted outside of a town will return to the place were you stole it, if a horse was left in town (i.e. near the stables or the front gate before the transition screen) it will stay there until you move it or kill it.

yeah...mixing it up is a lot of fun, especially once you start to get some of the better perks.

Anyone having issues getting comfortable with a character or just simply wanting to try other options? I got to level 10 with a Khijit thief and then I was building him in a funny way as I was getting used to leveling so I went with a Wood Elf archer/thief. I like this one a lot more, but I just keep thinking how badass it'd be to be an ogre or Nord with a shield and sword. I'm already at level 15 now in in the middle of the Thieves Guild stuff (which I wouldn't want to do with a Nord or ogre anyways), but I'm tempted to restart AGAIN.

Thanks for the tips, xp. I'll report back if I see anything different than that. My only concern is forgetting where the heck I dismounted!

[quote name='gubmccargen']Thanks for the tips, xp. I'll report back if I see anything different than that. My only concern is forgetting where the heck I dismounted![/QUOTE]

from what my friends say your if you buy a horse and dismount it, it'll stay where you dismounted it...which is great when you go into a dungeon. not as great when you exit the dungoeon through an backdoor far from the original entrance. stolen horses will simply walk back to their original places. Might want to keep a pad of post-its and just keep note.

[quote name='100xp']from what my friends say your if you buy a horse and dismount it, it'll stay where you dismounted it...which is great when you go into a dungeon. not as great when you exit the dungoeon through an backdoor far from the original entrance. stolen horses will simply walk back to their original places. Might want to keep a pad of post-its and just keep note.[/QUOTE]

Your horse will be right next to you after you fast travel so keeping tabs on 'em isn't a problem. The real tough part is getting your horse to quit rambo'ing giants and dragons :whistle2:#

Dumb horses man, can't take them out anywhere.

For anyone who wants to became thane in windhelm and be able to buy the house it is highly adviseable you do the quests associated with becoming thane before starting the civil war questline. If you have gone imperial you're pretty much guaranteed to encounter bugs, if you have gone stormcloak you won't have a problem with bugs. Sorry if this is too vague did not want to spoil anything for anyone.

[quote name='ubernes']Anyone having issues getting comfortable with a character or just simply wanting to try other options?[/QUOTE]

Comfortable? Well, I chose to play my first time through the exact opposite of how I first played Oblivion, and also that I'd play multiple times with fresh builds each time, following each respective questline based on the build I have.

As tempting as it is for me to start the Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc. questlines, I'm a Destruction Mage through and through, so sticking to my guns. Very tough to do, as the Winterhold quests we kinda weak IMO, but just more for me to look forward to when I finally play my stealth/assassin run.

Just a mage? I'm an archer,double wielding one handed and conjurer;with Lydia double wielding two fireball staffs. Going around with a shield and sword/mace/axe wasn't working out.Double wielding is awesome especially with your weapons enchated with paralysis and consumption.Enemies just keel over and I just club them to death.Also,reanimating bears and having them fight each other is awesome.Bear fights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I am starting to get really worn down on this game. Its great but its starting grind for me. I am about 50 hours in, have done a ton of side questing most of which seem rather pointless looking back on it.

The thing that is really starting to piss me off is the fucking shitty journal. Can it be any more disorganized? Can you please separate the main quests from the slightly less but still important side quest? Can you put all of the stormcloaks quest in one tab and the theifs guild in another instead of 30 of them all in a row.

Also, I feel that I am spending so much time fast travel load, walk into building, load, spend 5 seconds talking to the person, leave, load, fast travel, load, etc etc.

I dont know, something about this has all of a sudden became a huge grind to me. Hell and I have avoided all content that a quest didnt demand I go to.

Sood, I can see your point after just a dozen hours or so. I'm really enjoying it but with the lack of an XP system I can see how non-combat quests would feel pointless. For such an epic game you would think they would organize things a bit better. I've seen much worse RPGs with a much better-organized quest journal and inventory.

Maybe you're due for some more BF3?

I can also confirm what others were saying about horses always sticking with you after fast travel. As soon as you reach your destination your trusty steed is standing right next to you so there's no need to fear (as I did) that you'll just lose track of them at some point and never see them again.

I just crossed the 100 hour mark and I'm starting to feel the grind.

Certainly quests could be organized much better - in addition to the above suggestions, I'd like to be able to organize by city/grid location, so I can knock a bunch out.

Certainly the writers could have come up with some more unique dialogue instead of having to hear the same canned lines by NPCs. It's just lazy to have nearly every shop owner say the same set of lines, and always as if they've never seen you before.

And definitely could have used a larger and more diverse pool of voice actors and/or voice directing to bring life to the NPC world. Nothing more annoying to me as a voice actor than to hear the same guy voicing 30 different characters, using the same inflection, with not even the slightest effort to distinguish them all. Every character is NOT a Nord.

Definitely time for me to concentrate on the main quest and then set Skyrim aside for a few months, so I can regain my curiosity about the other quest lines. I haven't even touched the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Companion or Civil War questlines yet - will save those for probably 2 separate playthroughs, though not necessarily including the main questline again.

Alright so i got through some main quests. I realized that there is no top "navigator" or "map." I have a older Durabrand tv which is a walmart brand like natures promise is to stop & shop.
I've never had this problem before but it cuts off the top map bar and it does this for hockey sporting events where it cuts off the score bar.

Does anyone know how to fix this or is it the IO Cable-vision box that is messing it up.

Is there a Zoom or Format button you can press to change the format on your TV?

I doubt it is your cable box since it is happening when you play games on your console as well as when you watch TV (otherwise it would only happen when you watch TV).

16:9 format should make it work if you are unable to see the compass, otherwise I don't know why you would have that problem. You must either have the screen on "zoom" of some sort or on a zoomed format (say, 16:9 Zoom).

Is it a CRT TV? Some of those had overscan that you usually couldn't change without getting into the service menu.

I hit level 50 last night while finishing all the daedric quests, and found out that I can't get the achievement for collecting 15 daedric artifacts because I spared the wizard's life in the quest Waking Nightmare about 50 hours ago in my game. So, if I ever want that achievement, I have to redo all of the quests with a new guy. I still need to do the 40 side quests for the thieves guild and pick 50 pockets with the new khajit I started, so I guess it's not too bad having something else to shoot for.

[quote name='StickyWaffles']I hit level 50 last night while finishing all the daedric quests, and found out that I can't get the achievement for collecting 15 daedric artifacts because I spared the wizard's life in the quest Waking Nightmare about 50 hours ago in my game. So, if I ever want that achievement, I have to redo all of the quests with a new guy. I still need to do the 40 side quests for the thieves guild and pick 50 pockets with the new khajit I started, so I guess it's not too bad having something else to shoot for.[/QUOTE]
Not an achievement, but ever since I sided with the Imperials in the civil war there is a bug on 360/Ps3 versions that won't allow you to buy the house or become thane in Windhelm. These little bugs from early decisions really have far reaching implications that should have been addressed by Bethesda before release. Its disappointing they haven't even after 3 patches.

[quote name='Torque']Not an achievement, but ever since I sided with the Imperials in the civil war there is a bug on 360/Ps3 versions that won't allow you to buy the house or become thane in Windhelm. These little bugs from early decisions really have far reaching implications that should have been addressed by Bethesda before release. Its disappointing they haven't even after 3 patches.[/QUOTE]

is that a bug? wouldn't siding w/the imperials alienate you somewhat to any stormcloak cities and camps? Especially Windhelm of all places.

The most annoying bug I just ran into was, the only guy in skyrim who sells invisibility isn't selling invisibility. tried all the know potential fixes, nada...hopefully his shop restocks sometime down the road.

It's a bug. In the PC version if you side with imperials you can still buy the house and become thane. There is a quest that goes along with buying the house and consequently becoming thane that one must complete, it cannot be triggured if you go imperial. For consoles, you cannot buy the house at all unlike PCs.

I notice people on eBay are still selling Skyrim without the Steam key for ~$40. Is the game still worth anything even if you can't activate it? Why would someone still buy the game?

Shit! I was just getting back into Skyrim when on the final thieves guild mission it started getting extremely laggy in the
Seplecur when you have to get to Mercer (fighting the Falmer)
. That happened twice at two different spots, but its the first time I've experienced that. I cleared my cache and uninstalled and reinstalled it to the hdd, but I haven't tried it yet. Should I not patch it or is this just two freak occurrences?

[quote name='sealionnn']I notice people on eBay are still selling Skyrim without the Steam key for ~$40. Is the game still worth anything even if you can't activate it? Why would someone still buy the game?[/QUOTE]

Isn't it a Games for Windows game? It has that logo on the box or am I missing something?

I didn't think I was going to get into Skyrim but I'm liking it. So I made sorta a joke character thinking I would drop it. (I'm not really a WRPG guy but I thought I would give it a try) I made a badass looking reptile guy and named him "Big Boner Jamz". Now I'm several hours in and I am not going to start over, so Big Boner Jamz it is.

bread's done
Back