The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

I am finding that I can only play this game for about 20 min at a time. There is nothing really wrong with the game but I find that I cant stop raging within seconds of booting it up.

I can not handle the amount of constant loading in this game.Its causing me to ignore large parts of the game. The loading isnt really that long but its not uncommon for me to have to go through 4 or 5 of them within 10 mins. fuck the thieves guild, I refuse to load a fast travel, load the door, run 50 ft, load flaggon or whatever it called run 50ft just to give you back a urn. Screw that, for the last 10 or so hours I have been playing, if I get a quest that isnt outside I dont even bother unless its part of the main storyline.

I know that game is huge but its mind boggling the way in which they set up a lot of these holds. The further I get in the game the more I notice that there are now multiple rooms and layers in each hold. Is it so out of the question to allow me to choose what room I load into? Or at least put the people who you know I will have to talk to dozens of times in the first room instead of the basement?

Also, fuck the college I will never go back there. The library is underneath the arch mage quarters? Fast travel load, run 50ft to the gate, load, go to arch mage qrt load, go downstairs to library load, spend 2 seconds giving the guy a book, leave load, arch mage load, go back to front gate load, fast travel to next quest load.

THATS 8 GOD DAMN LOADING SCREENS WITHIN SECONDS!!!! fuck YOU Bethesda!!!

[quote name='Rodimus']I didn't think I was going to get into Skyrim but I'm liking it. So I made sorta a joke character thinking I would drop it. (I'm not really a WRPG guy but I thought I would give it a try) I made a badass looking reptile guy and named him "Big Boner Jamz". Now I'm several hours in and I am not going to start over, so Big Boner Jamz it is.[/QUOTE]

"Boner Jamz 2011" would have been solid.

I was watching 40 Year Old Virgin the night before so yup, that was my influence.

I like being a dick in these kinda games. If I wasn't at a piss ant level I"d kill everyone in town, take all their clothes off, sleep in their beds and eat cheese.

@Soodmeg - have you tried to turn off the autosave on load feature? it cuts the loading time down significantly however you'll just have to remember to save every so often. The loading times don't bother me so much or at least I don't notice anymore.

[quote name='100xp']@Soodmeg - have you tried to turn off the autosave on load feature? it cuts the loading time down significantly however you'll just have to remember to save every so often. The loading times don't bother me so much or at least I don't notice anymore.[/QUOTE]

WOW!! You my friend win the internet. That is much much better. Fast traveling still kinda sucks but in and out of doors is way faster. Thanks.

[quote name='Soodmeg']WOW!! You my friend win the internet. That is much much better. Fast traveling still kinda sucks but in and out of doors is way faster. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

woo hoo! I dah ween! I think earlier in this thread someone gave the same bit of advice, so to that CAGer I bestow 1/3 of the internet and a loyal house carl.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
Also, fuck the college I will never go back there. The library is underneath the arch mage quarters? Fast travel load, run 50ft to the gate, load, go to arch mage qrt load, go downstairs to library load, spend 2 seconds giving the guy a book, leave load, arch mage load, go back to front gate load, fast travel to next quest load.

THATS 8 GOD DAMN LOADING SCREENS WITHIN SECONDS!!!! fuck YOU Bethesda!!![/QUOTE]

There's a door from the library to the outside that you can fast-travel from, so it's really only one load before you can go somewhere else. It goes to the deck outside one floor up, so you can only use it leaving, but at least it helps.

[quote name='StickyWaffles']I hit level 50 last night while finishing all the daedric quests, and found out that I can't get the achievement for collecting 15 daedric artifacts because I spared the wizard's life in the quest Waking Nightmare about 50 hours ago in my game. So, if I ever want that achievement, I have to redo all of the quests with a new guy. I still need to do the 40 side quests for the thieves guild and pick 50 pockets with the new khajit I started, so I guess it's not too bad having something else to shoot for.[/QUOTE]

Use the spoiler tag, please...:cry:

[quote name='MrPiggles']Use the spoiler tag, please...:cry:[/QUOTE]I considered it while I was writing it up, but I was trying to give a heads up to anyone that hasn't played it, so they know they have to
ice that dude
to get an achievement that requires you to do 15 quests to obtain. It's one quest out of 200, and it's not part of the main story or the major factions/guilds, so I was hoping the knowledge of the achievement would outweigh the ability for anyone to get attached to the dude. It's a cool quest though, sorry for spoiling the ending.

It's all good, I just finished the
Stones of Barenziah
quest. It was a total pain in the ass, but once I got started I HAD to finish it. :beer:

I'm "officially" at about 28 hours, but I've sunk at least 10 hours into just wandering around and starting up fights in the towns. I find myself enjoying this game a lot, my only worry is that since there's so much random exploring and quests that I wont get through it all before March 6th...

Lol agreed. Every time I'm right in the middle of a good quest a fuckin giant ass dragon comes from nowhere and smahes my face. One time I fast travelled into a town and a dragon came wandering in. I didn't spot the bastard and he landed on me... OVERKILL :censored:

[quote name='Streetskillz']Lol agreed. Every time I'm right in the middle of a good quest a fuckin giant ass dragon comes from nowhere and smahes my face. One time I fast travelled into a town and a dragon came wandering in. I didn't spot the bastard and he landed on me... OVERKILL :censored:[/QUOTE]

Last night I fast travelled into Falkreath to work on a small quest and a dragon landed right in the town. Pretty entertaining to watch the guards get involved in the fight and then the whole town had some cool reaction dialogue afterwards.

I get murked by dragons all the time, my character heavily invested into melee and archery. I can't hit the damn dragons until they hover or land so fights with them take a good 15 minutes

Question on marraige and the Breezehome in Whiterun.

I want to marry Aela and have her move into Breezehome w/me, but Lydia is there now because of her oath. If I marry Aela and have her move in does that auto kick Lydia out? If so does she just go back to Dragonsreach or is she gone for good? Also do I get to take Aela out as a follower still or is she stuck in the home? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Question on marraige and the Breezehome in Whiterun.

I want to marry Aela and have her move into Breezehome w/me, but Lydia is there now because of her oath. If I marry Aela and have her move in does that auto kick Lydia out? If so does she just go back to Dragonsreach or is she gone for good? Also do I get to take Aela out as a follower still or is she stuck in the home? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Lydia stays in the house with your wife, but I don't know if your wife can follow you

So I managed to finish the Main Quest, taking me 30 hours to beat it after just dicking around and finding many things. My thoughts
Really bad final dungeon. It really feels like an admittance of failure for not balancing the game properly by putting SO MANY enemies in that part of the game so you'd level up quickly.

I think the final boss was...interesting to say the least, but it's weird I couldn't loot him afterwards. Getting 3 Shouts afterwards was neat, too. I probably should've looted the place before leaving, because I'm pretty sure I can't go back there. But it wouldn't have done me any good since I had no room left for stuff. Also, why doesn't it force a Credits Sequence on me? The ending just sorta loaded the Parthanthrax back on me and was like 'okay, time to quit.' I think that, overall, the Main Quest was decent. It was competent in comparison to Oblivion, which realized very quickly that no one gave a damn about it.

I also managed to get another Daedric Artifact, the
Ebony Mail. I fucking love this thing.

So, Skyrim's about a 8.5-9 for me. Some glitches, the combat's frustrating at times, and the Main Quest simply isn't a driving force in that game. Also, there has to be an easier way to make more money openly in this game.

The ebony mail is great, I love turning into a poisonous cloud of dark smoke lol. I don't have any problems making money, although I'm level 58 so pretty much all I find is worth a decent amount.

[quote name='Streetskillz']It's all good, I just finished the
Stones of Barenziah
quest. It was a total pain in the ass, but once I got started I HAD to finish it. :beer:[/QUOTE]

How do you find them all? Does it give you locations?

[quote name='n4styn4t3']How do you find them all? Does it give you locations?[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm not gonna lie, I totally used a guide for this, text only so that I could at least get a general idea. But anyway, I activated the quest but it didn't give me even a clue where to begin. That and combined with the enormity of the game... I wouldn't have finished it otherwise

Surprised they didn't make that an achievement. Seems like it should be, like collecting all the bobbleheads in fo3. I've gotten 16 so far without looking anything up, not really worried about it though.

That's actually quite impressive, I had only picked up 4 before deciding to go with outside help... some of them seem really out of place compared to others

[quote name='Streetskillz']I get murked by dragons all the time, my character heavily invested into melee and archery. I can't hit the damn dragons until they hover or land so fights with them take a good 15 minutes[/QUOTE]

Get the shout Dragonrend. It makes dragons land.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Anybody have any tips for the 100,000 gold cheevo?[/QUOTE]

Invest in alchemy, smithing, enchanting, and speech. Best skills to make money. Also, the banish, paralysis, and invisisbilty enchantments significantly raises the value of an item.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Anybody have any tips for the 100,000 gold cheevo?[/QUOTE]

you'll get it eventually just by playing... money becomes way too easy to get after awhile

[quote name='KingBroly']So I managed to finish the Main Quest, taking me 30 hours to beat it after just dicking around and finding many things. My thoughts
Really bad final dungeon. It really feels like an admittance of failure for not balancing the game properly by putting SO MANY enemies in that part of the game so you'd level up quickly.

I think the final boss was...interesting to say the least, but it's weird I couldn't loot him afterwards. Getting 3 Shouts afterwards was neat, too. I probably should've looted the place before leaving, because I'm pretty sure I can't go back there. But it wouldn't have done me any good since I had no room left for stuff. Also, why doesn't it force a Credits Sequence on me? The ending just sorta loaded the Parthanthrax back on me and was like 'okay, time to quit.' I think that, overall, the Main Quest was decent. It was competent in comparison to Oblivion, which realized very quickly that no one gave a damn about it.

I also managed to get another Daedric Artifact, the
Ebony Mail. I fucking love this thing.

So, Skyrim's about a 8.5-9 for me. Some glitches, the combat's frustrating at times, and the Main Quest simply isn't a driving force in that game. Also, there has to be an easier way to make more money openly in this game.[/QUOTE]

how did you get the ebony mail? thats not for beating the game right? i also felt like huh after beating it, kind of a meh ending lol. the only daedric artifact i've come across is wabbajack and i've put like 60 hours into the game ._.

[quote name='Streetskillz']That's actually quite impressive, I had only picked up 4 before deciding to go with outside help... some of them seem really out of place compared to others[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I play the game entirely too much lol.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Get the shout Dragonrend. It makes dragons land.[/QUOTE]

Dragonrend aye... I haven't even heard of it til now! I get sidetracked from pretty much any quest I start because I start 5 other ones along the way. Oh and I just run away from dragons now, til I get my magic up or something. :cool:

[quote name='Streetskillz']Dragonrend aye... I haven't even heard of it til now! I get sidetracked from pretty much any quest I start because I start 5 other ones along the way. Oh and I just run away from dragons now, til I get my magic up or something. :cool:[/QUOTE]

You won't get that shout until pretty far into the main storyline.

Running out of places to go, at 333 discovered. I read online that there are 350, anyone know if that is the actual number or not?

So,I "finished" the game.Watching my brother in his play through I noticed something.
Finn goes into to the light and into Sovngarde if you have his Lute in your inventory.During my play through I ignored most of the main story line,exploring and doing side quest instead.I cleared that specific dungeon way before I even got to Solitude.I didn't have Finn's lute in my inventory when I finished the dungeon.So,Finn just disappears.When I spoke to Olaf the one Eye in Sovngarde he said Finn's soul was trapped in Oblivion.Finish the side quest first,then do the main story line for the Bards College..

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrfury']
You won't get that shout until pretty far into the main storyline.
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I guess I should have figured as much. I seem to have Skyrim ADD

Man those quests to "restore the thieves guild to its former glory" are pretty tedious. On the other hand, I've been working on the Daedric quests and they are all fantastic.

I seem to be stuck, I never joined the imperial or the storm cloaks and now that I am at the end of the game and need to get them all together I cant trigger any quests.

They tell me to talk to their lieutenants who then tell me they cant believe I am trying to get everyone together without letting me choose dialogue options. Frankly I almost dont even care if I finish the game or not....for it became a victim of its own "bigness" combined I have probably done over 200 quests....about 180 of were completely pointless and forgettable. There was nothing in this game that was as great as that game of Clue you had to play in the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion (might have been Morrowind)

The game is huge and very well done...just a lot of it seems pointless to me especially after killing my 15th dragon. If only I would have know to turn off autosave sooner I might not be so burnt out on this.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I seem to be stuck, I never joined the imperial or the storm cloaks and now that I am at the end of the game and need to get them all together I cant trigger any quests.

They tell me to talk to their lieutenants who then tell me they cant believe I am trying to get everyone together without letting me choose dialogue options. Frankly I almost dont even care if I finish the game or not....for it became a victim of its own "bigness" combined I have probably done over 200 quests....about 180 of were completely pointless and forgettable. There was nothing in this game that was as great as that game of Clue you had to play in the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion (might have been Morrowind)

The game is huge and very well done...just a lot of it seems pointless to me especially after killing my 15th dragon. If only I would have know to turn off autosave sooner I might not be so burnt out on this.[/QUOTE]

To get them all together, I think you need to talk to the greybeards to organize a truce or something.

YAY!! Quest breaking glitch I found. I dont know if it was talked about already but you cannot complete the Thieves guild story line if you get rid of all of the initial armor they give you. You have to keep at least one (or at least store it somewhere) in order to trade it in at the end of the quest line and complete it.

Sooo fucking stupid its unreal. So until there is a patch I cant really interact with anyone down there nor can I complete that line. All because I didnt keep shitty armor on me for 30 hours.

[quote name='Soodmeg']YAY!! Quest breaking glitch I found. I dont know if it was talked about already but you cannot complete the Thieves guild story line if you get rid of all of the initial armor they give you. You have to keep at least one (or at least store it somewhere) in order to trade it in at the end of the quest line and complete it.

Sooo fucking stupid its unreal. So until there is a patch I cant really interact with anyone down there nor can I complete that line. All because I didnt keep shitty armor on me for 30 hours.[/QUOTE]

Can you buy it back from who you sold it to?

Yea you can but that was about 60 + hours ago. I dont know if I dropped it because it was shitty armor to begin with. I have read that many people sold the armor to the very person who is asking to upgrade it and now are completely boned.

I also find it funny that you can kill and loot any of the thieves for their armor apparently that was the only set in the entire world.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yea you can but that was about 60 + hours ago. I dont know if I dropped it because it was shitty armor to begin with. I have read that many people sold the armor to the very person who is asking to upgrade it and now are completely boned.

I also find it funny that you can kill and loot any of the thieves for their armor apparently that was the only set in the entire world.[/QUOTE]

Don't know why you wouldn't keep the armor. Its pretty good light armor and I got so powerful with my sneaking/archery/one handed combined with the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild armor that I started a new character (was too easy to sneak around and murder everyone with a dagger).

Thats not the point, if an item is quest related then make sure I cant sell it or drop it like every other quest related item in the game. I got rid of it because I wear heavy armor so it didnt fit into my play style at all. Also by the time I got to that point the ratings for the armor were complete shit. I was rocking plus 100 ebony armor at the time why would I keep shitty light armor? My sneak ability was almost maxed.

Its a very odd oversight. Because you can get more dark brotherhood armor yet you only get 1 set of thieves guild armor in the entire world. Even though there are people wearing it around...you cant kill and loot them, or loot it right off of them.

It makes no sense. The one item you need to finish a quest can be sold and can not be brought back anywhere in the world even though people are wearing them. Its like they bent the rules of the game to screw you over in just this one quest. You can loot the bones right off a dragon but I cant take a pair of gloves off a dead thief? I r confused.

Just wait for a patch hopefully I still have the game when it drops. I am almost done with the main quest and I doubt I would replay all the way through. 70 plus hours is pretty good.

could you use misdirection perk and pick pocket the armor off someone? I haven't done the thieve's guild quests far enough yet...but thanks for the heads up even though I tend to keep every piece of armor that is even slightly unqiue as a trophy.

Nope, for some reason just for the thieves its impossible to get their armor. If they die it doesnt show they are wearing anything, if you try to pick it off of them it doesnt give the option to take it.

Its a glitch/oversight/bad luck shit. I get why the quest is locked, I dont get why I cant get more armor. Do you know how many unique items you get in the game? Hundreds...how would anyone know to keep just that one pair if you didnt tell them to.

containers don't seem to have a limit, so i just stock pile wpns, armor, etc in different containers in my house based on type etc. all the alchemy stuff is near the alchemy lab including equipment that gives a bonus to alchemy.

I even save the thane wpns and mount them on the wall.

my bookshelves are also full of used skill books and journals because I think i'd keep them as an adventurer who owned a manor. As for the thieve's armor oversite, yeah it does sound like crap...

bread's done
Back