The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11/11/11

[quote name='Shifty Effect']Well, I was thinking about newegg.com or ebay whichever is cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm pretty sure all the CE are the exact same, no matter where you buy it.

Incredible update for Skyrim. I must know how to get those throws as a finishing move, I would be using whatever is required to do it. Also liking the archery and magic finishing moves, that will very much enhance long range combat.

[quote name='saunderscowie']So when does this update go live?[/QUOTE]

The beta version is currently on Steam, and the console versions are coming "soon" with no specific release date

I never play any character that uses anything but bows, so no idea if you can shut kill cam off, but hopefully so. Not interested in using it for my bow kills.

DLC coming soon... possibly titled Dawnguard.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/324701/20120405/skyrim-dlc-release-date-patch-xbox-ps3.htm

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Better than DLC for me! This completes an already incredible game![/QUOTE]

i'd like to see 2H hammers not cleanly decapitate ppl like an axe or sword would...and horse armor. (PC mods have horse armor...c'mon)

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Meh. Where is the god damn DLC? ;'([/QUOTE]

"Xbox, Download Horse Armor."

"NO, NOT FOR OBLIVION!"

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Meh. Where is the god damn DLC? ;'([/QUOTE]

i'd prefer they just continue to develop Fallout 4 vs. Skyrim DLC...I've played this game 4 times w/4 different builds/races and still haven't finished it because I found making a new character on a harder level was more rewarding.

what they're doing for fixes and smoothing out things that should have been implemented at the start is great. I'm all for more of that.

XP - I just want both damnit! [/Entitled]

My initial playthrough was so intense I can't justify dusting off my copy without some serious incentive. Plus I'm itching to test out those new kill cams with my archer and without new content it wouldn't be as epic or enjoyable for me.

Uber Meh...Don't own a Kinect, and no interest in getting one that won't even work in my small space. Bring on the DLC already....

[quote name='Indignate']Isn't Kinect just a mic? Why can't I use a headset for this?

This would make playing a mage a hell of a lot funner as I would use more spells if I didn't have to go into a menu every time to switch them.[/QUOTE]

That would be cool. I can't imagine ever buying a Kinect thanks to living in a one bedroom apartment (and being a guy) but I could have some fun with voice commands via the headset.

[quote name='Indignate']Isn't Kinect just a mic? Why can't I use a headset for this?

This would make playing a mage a hell of a lot funner as I would use more spells if I didn't have to go into a menu every time to switch them.[/QUOTE]

The Kinect uses an array of four microphones and a SoC (System on a Chip) with a lot of built-in functionality for noise cancellation, speech recognition and audio beam forming (i.e. figure out where the player is in 3D space, only pay attention to voice commands coming from that direction). It could be done with just a microphone, but at minimum they'd need to recreate the speech recognition from scratch or pay money to license equivalent speech recognition. It's easy to add Kinect-based speech recognition to an Xbox game because you have a known hardware target (the Kinect device itself) and the speech recognition API licensing is already attached to that hardware. You don't need to create much custom code, you just use the Kinect API to do the heavy lifting for you.

Anyone know the exact number of locations that can be discovered? I've looked it up a few times and the answer always varies. I've discovered 346 so far.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']And so it begins...

It's about fucking time. Dawnguard DLC coming this summer baby![/QUOTE]

To say I was a bit disappointed by the "news" today would be an understatement. I wasn't expecting full details, release date, price point, and all that, but when they said "Big Announcement" yesterday, I expected more than a glorified movie poster.

That said, I can't think of any reasons this won't be a day one purchase regardless

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']And so it begins...

It's about fucking time. Dawnguard DLC coming this summer baby![/QUOTE]

Hope this is the big expansion DLC that we've been hearing about instead of a cash cow. I'm confident it will be worth the money, but heres hoping...

Are there any other fixes included in the Kinect patch? Kinda bummed I have to download something I'll never use since that'll waste 35MB of bandwidth.

The way Bioware described it for ME 3 is the Kinect does the processing of the voice commands and just sends the same data as a button press to the game to generate the action. If it was done with a headset, the system/game would have to do the processing and that would affect graphics, sound, etc. in a negative way.

The reasons this has to be done in a patch for Skyrim is 1. the game wasn't designed with this so some files need to exist on the HDD for the processing and 2. there are new commands (quicksave, quickload, etc.) included in the patch only for Kinect.

I might be going crazy, but I've been playing the game nonstop for the past couple weeks and I feel like the graphics look better after the patch. In addition to Kinect compatibility, did they also improve texture loading or something to that effect?

The reason it is done on Kinect instead of a headset is that Microsoft already has the software built into the Kinect for voice recognition. It is much easier for a developer to use the Kinect software that is already there rather than build voice recognition from the ground up to use with a headset.

The only problem I am having with the Kinect is it never seems to understand Equip Bow. It does everything else perfectly fine, without me having to raise my voice at all, but it just does not seem to understand equip bow.

EDIT: I think it does look slightly better after the Kinect patch... but it could be that I haven't played it in a bit.

Anyone having problems with getting voice commands to work at all? Nada on my end in the game. Backed out, Kinect is recognizing voice on the XBox proper, so I know that the Kinect is working. Thoughts?

Edit: Nevermind. Did not go through game settings to turn on Kinect recognition. Not automatically set. Makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='willc23']Anyone having problems with getting voice commands to work at all? Nada on my end in the game. Backed out, Kinect is recognizing voice on the XBox proper, so I know that the Kinect is working. Thoughts?

Edit: Nevermind. Did not go through game settings to turn on Kinect recognition. Not automatically set. Makes sense.[/QUOTE]

don't forget, you have to push RB to speak Dragon language

[quote name='MSUHitman']Are there any other fixes included in the Kinect patch? Kinda bummed I have to download something I'll never use since that'll waste 35MB of bandwidth.[/QUOTE]

The only changed I noticed so far is that when you're exchanging items with a follower, when you start reaching maximum weight capacity, items that they can't carry will be greyed out.

At first I was wondering why I needed to hold RB to shout in Dragon language. Then my game glitched so that I didn't need to hold the button: anytime someone in my family came to speak with me, a one-syllable shout would activate.

This is awesome! I have always hated having to dismount Shadowmere to take down some bandit assholes, and now I won't have to! Just shoot 'em with the bow and be on my way! Probably the best update addition so far. I haven't tried Kinect commands so I can't speak for that, but the new killcams are eh for me. I don't get them that often, and when I do, it's nothing spectacular.

bread's done
Back