The end of no tax online as we know it.....

I certainly don't agree with this person's tactics, but states are losing a lot of tax revenue due to online sales. This hurts *everyone* as there's less money for roads, education, and social programs.

This kind of asshole is what's wrong with the legal system today.
Yes, most e-tailers were probably supposed to collect [not charge, collect] sales tax for the various states. Many didn't [though many do, it's not technologically difficult.]
But here comes this jackoff, who starts suing at random. Not to improve things, or because the law is actually 'harming' anyone, but to profit. Like that jackass who sued Home Depot for not price-tagging *everything* in the store.

The problem is that the revenue that comes in now is misused to start with. I live in Virginia where we have a state lottery that supposedly helps fund schools. Guess what? The county consolidated schools to save money and now we have two overcrowded high schools instead of four. If the purchases online are taxed, it won't help anyone other than the government, not government programs.

The man in the site above could get his message across in a much less ass way, and he knows it.

Well in my opinion I think the people have been taxed enough to make schools look like Saddam Hussein palaces but they still look like shit.
And I think I should keep my money and buy what I want to buy for cheaper instead of giving it away to some failed social program.
This is pure crap.

This guy needs to get a better job, like buying up 360s at launch, or hoarding $5 CC games, you know, not ruining no tax systems.

Well consumers are supposed to still pay taxes on purchases even if the retailer doesn't collect them. I try not to hold it against any .com that does the tax collecting for me.

But the guy in this article is a pariah.

Viewing Mr. Diamond as an opportunist exploiting a legal loophole, Ms. Chumley immediately set out to change state law. She succeeded, and the cases were dismissed. Ms. Chumley says that Mr. Diamond was misusing the law. Mr. Diamond counters that Tennessee wasn't being aggressive enough in collecting taxes.

But Ms. Chumley wasn't through. In 2003, she told Virginia's tax commissioner, Kenneth Wayne Thorson, about Mr. Diamond. Mr. Thorson says he notified the staff of Virginia Gov. Mark Warner and said, "We don't want to go there. It is going to be a mess. We need to put a stop to this."

PWN'D :rofl:

Still dude has already made quite a bit from Illinois and will probably get even more out of them.

OT:
"In Illinois, a retailer is considered to have a physical presence if a customer can return an item purchased online to a retailer's physical location."

And I'm guessing laws like that are why some .coms claim to run their business as a completely seperate entity and don't allow in store returns.

[quote name='dude2003']this fucker ought to be shot
he is profitting while EVERYONE loses out[/QUOTE]

quoted for truth

i hate people like him who take advantage of the system. i'm glad the attorney general noticed his ulterior motives and is stopping his underhanded tactics.

Its really irrelevant if you get charged tax on websites or not, if you make enough money to pay income tax... when I filed my taxes last spring, I had to pay sales tax on internet purchases. I don't recall if that was my Ohio taxes or the fed, so it might be a state thing. Obviously you could say you bought nothing online that wasn't taxed, but I estimated something like $100 (so I paid $7.50 or whatever). Not enough to lie to the IRS over.

Yeah, I read that in the journal today and that guy is a complete dick head. I asked my professor if he can even sue over something like that and apparently there's some BS that allows him to do stuff like this.

I hope that it doesn't result in online stores charging tax all because of asshats like this guy.

bread's done
Back