The Era of Punk Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cena/Mysterio is boring as fuck. That's why you basically beat viewers over the head with the idea that Del Rio is walking out of SS as champion (admittedly, kinda like happened at MITB).

They already showed their hand with Punk, though, and it's far too late to have what I wrote happen and matter a single iota.

[quote name='mykevermin']
8 days? That's full-on panic. Are you saying WWE planned in advance to have Punk "off contract" for 8 days? You're out of your mind.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what WWE has planned, I'm not even sure if they know what they have planned, but that isn't my point. My point is that for all we know CM Punk could be gone after Summerslam, not in the storylines but legitimately out of the company. There are rumors going that he signed a short term deal so this would make sense. So maybe what we're seeing is the abbreviated version of how CM Punk would like to see things go, but since he doesn't have a contract after Summerslam they're rushing it along. So in some aspects he is getting what he wants from WWE, but they're also not relying on the fact he'll be there after Summerslam.

I agree that it is silly to have CM Punk only be gone 8 days, but is that so shocking with WWE? Especially when he might not be around after Summerslam? It does seem strange that he's back so soon, but I don't know if it is because of a shitty storyline or because he's trying to earn those last few paychecks before he hits the road.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I'm not sure what WWE has planned, I'm not even sure if they know what they have planned, but that isn't my point. My point is that for all we know CM Punk could be gone after Summerslam, not in the storylines but legitimately out of the company. There are rumors going that he signed a short term deal so this would make sense. So maybe what we're seeing is the abbreviated version of how CM Punk would like to see things go, but since he doesn't have a contract after Summerslam they're rushing it along. So in some aspects he is getting what he wants from WWE, but they're also not relying on the fact he'll be there after Summerslam.

I agree that it is silly to have CM Punk only be gone 8 days, but is that so shocking with WWE? Especially when he might not be around after Summerslam? It does seem strange that he's back so soon, but I don't know if it is because of a shitty storyline or because he's trying to earn those last few paychecks before he hits the road.[/QUOTE]
I'd be very upset if he's really gone after SummerSlam.

[quote name='diddy310']It has arrived. (unfortunately the pic has the patch on it)

http://www.wweshop.com/item/cm-punk-best-in-the-world-authentic-t-shirt/carsousel1/01-14598[/QUOTE]

Preordered.

I'm legitimately surprised that HBK was the one who saved Punk from the future endeavors list. The rest of that article wasn't surprising in the slightest about how guys who were successful outside of WWE are viewed. You think that culture's going to budge in the slightest after the ratings don't explode for this angle and Cena's holding the belt again because he's the safe choice?

So I didn't get to watch Raw last night and from what I've read here, I'm torn on the matter.

Part of me would've loved to see Punk come out as the "real" champion. A much bigger part of me wanted him to do so at, I dunno, Wrestlemania to cost Rock his match against Cena. Then you roll into Cena v. Punk because Punk ruined what had been a great WM match and Punk still has his title which he hasn't lost, because he's been trolling the indies with it.

Now admittedly, I don't know how the WWE could have handled Punk's extended absence but I do know that something more compelling could've been done. The Rey/Cena angle where ADR attempts to strike at the conclusion of their SS match would've worked.

Hearing that Punk returned has taken the wind out of my sails. Am I surprised? Not really. Am I disappointed that it happened so soon? Absolutely.

Anytime before last night, I would've been absolutely down for the new Punk shirt (even without the Chicago date on it) and I was absolutely going to buy the MitB blu-ray on release. Now I'm conflicted on both. In short, by pulling the trigger this soon, the WWE has potentially lost out on revenue from me. I dunno, I'll think about both. I still have a couple weeks before the Blu-ray drops.

[quote name='Halo05']So I didn't get to watch Raw last night and from what I've read here, I'm torn on the matter.

Part of me would've loved to see Punk come out as the "real" champion. A much bigger part of me wanted him to do so at, I dunno, Wrestlemania to cost Rock his match against Cena. Then you roll into Cena v. Punk because Punk ruined what had been a great WM match and Punk still has his title which he hasn't lost, because he's been trolling the indies with it.

Now admittedly, I don't know how the WWE could have handled Punk's extended absence but I do know that something more compelling could've been done. The Rey/Cena angle where ADR attempts to strike at the conclusion of their SS match would've worked.

Hearing that Punk returned has taken the wind out of my sails. Am I surprised? Not really. Am I disappointed that it happened so soon? Absolutely.

Anytime before last night, I would've been absolutely down for the new Punk shirt (even without the Chicago date on it) and I was absolutely going to buy the MitB blu-ray on release. Now I'm conflicted on both. In short, by pulling the trigger this soon, the WWE has potentially lost out on revenue from me. I dunno, I'll think about both. I still have a couple weeks before the Blu-ray drops.[/QUOTE]

If they would have kept him off TV until the Blu Ray released, it would have likely been a release date purchase for me. Now its likely I won't...

Yeah, it could have been booked better and drawn out for a bit more (sorta like how they had the Jericho countdown clock), but I'm enjoying it. We'll see how WWE handles it. I definitely agree that they could have, at least, waited until SummerSlam to bring back Punk.

[quote name='mykevermin']Pillman?[/QUOTE]

I love Pillman, but, in my opinion, comparing CM Punk to Brian Pillman undermines his mic work. If anyone, Punk's more Piper than Pillman. I think Punk's better than Pillman and more witty, like Jericho, with a certain gravity in his words, like Piper.

The biggest problem with Punk coming out last night was that it just goes to show how fake wrestling is. Even if you want to rush to put the title back on Cena you can't have Punk come out that night because it becomes overly fucking staged. When the whole point of the angle is to blur the lines and you return everything to the confines of a staged arena it ruins the intent of the angle.

Also CM Punk coming back last night means that no one will ever believe a word he says. They built the angle around him going away for a while and got all types of run for how things were going down. People are going to feel played and WWE won't get the kind of publicity they got the next time they try something like this.

jltTc.gif

CW9Pb.gif

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The biggest problem with Punk coming out last night was that it just goes to show how fake wrestling is. Even if you want to rush to put the title back on Cena you can't have Punk come out that night because it becomes overly fucking staged. When the whole point of the angle is to blur the lines and you return everything to the confines of a staged arena it ruins the intent of the angle.[/quote]

Bingo. Also, they'll need to explain why he waited until 11:00 at night to come back, since there were 30 minutes or so between Mysterio's title win and Triple H announcing he'd be defending it against Cena. Unless we want cavernous holes of logic in our writing, we will ask for an explanation for why Punk did not return when the Champion was crowned the *first* time that night.

Also CM Punk coming back last night means that no one will ever believe a word he says.

One hundred fucking percent correct. When Punk says something anymore, will you believe him? Why would you?

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']Those patches are removable? how?[/QUOTE]
Go into Joann Fabrics or Michaels and get a $3 seam ripper. It's a tiny blade on a handle to remove stitches. Should do the trick nicely.

If they're REALLY redoing "Summer Of Punk", he's been under contract the whole time. ROH had him claiming to leave with the belt only to win, use Cult Of Personality after he stayed on, and actually leave a few weeks later (the original exit date was the swerve). That's what we're seeing here, and it sucks because MITB was so emotional and special and now it's really, REALLY hard to top that.

It's hard to top that *now*, but that's because WWE fucked it up already.

Who knows how amazing the Shockmaster was, but there was no way to recover from the way he was introduced.

Okay, so it's more likely that Shockmaster was fucking awful no matter what. But the point is WWE can't undo what they've done, and in the process, they spoiled the best thing they had going in years.

The story going around is that up until Raw started, they weren't sure whether to bring back Punk this week or next.

Like it'd made a fucking difference.

Also...

[quote name='LOP']
WWE is looking to go "old school" with the booking process in the sense that they will be planning several months out and working backwards. Expect to see lots more long-term planning from here on out. WWE is very happy with how they announced John Cena vs. The Rock for WrestleMania 28 in advance and how both Superstars have managed to keep the feud alive online.
[/quote]

Hmm.

Will everyone relax? The angle isn't close to being finished and they needed to strike while the iron is hot. Punk is the hottest thing in wrestling. It makes absolutely zero sense to keep him off of the 2nd biggest PPV of the year.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']they needed to strike while the iron is hot.[/QUOTE]

Do you eat microwave popcorn before microwaving it, too?

JJSP, not sure of the source on your quote above, but every indicator points to WWE being in a perpetual state of panic, ready to change anything at a moment's notice. Their booking shows *zero* sign of going in that direction.

ALRIGHTY KIDS! Internet is back time to play catch up.

Did I markout when Punk came out to C.O.P last night. OF COURSE! Did the feeling fade when I realized that they blew their load faster than a senior on prom night? Again, of course.

Not only does it completely kill Punk leaving, it also completely showed a lack of faith in Mysterio as the guy to lead the company.... and you wonder why he's debated quitting a few times already.

Punk coming back worked, but it would've worked better at a later date. Hell even Summer Slam could have been a better time. Have Cena beat Mysterio there... let all the Cenation ( :roll: ) be thrilled he has the title back then hit the music and let the fans and internet (who I'm sure all would have legally paid for the event) freakout. Instead we got a 2 hour title run by Mysterio with Cena inevitably winning again. I haven't read the previous pages but I can guess that there is no one here who thought Mysterio had a chance in hell of leaving last night as champ when they announced the Cena/Mysterio match last night. I think WWE knew they had something good going and prematurely blew their load.

Rant.

I really hope they didn't rush the Punk storyline because of the Rock. Honestly I could go without another Rock match if it meant this shit would have lasted until Mania.

Also, I wonder if they blew their load because they looked at their roster and shit their pants. Vince's inability to develop top tier talent is fucking appalling.

[quote name='mykevermin']Do you eat microwave popcorn before microwaving it, too?

JJSP, not sure of the source on your quote above, but every indicator points to WWE being in a perpetual state of panic, ready to change anything at a moment's notice. Their booking shows *zero* sign of going in that direction.[/QUOTE]
Fact of the matter is that every single one of us will be tuning in next week to see what Punk says, as will people that heard he returned.

There were rumors a while ago that his contract was expiring in September, so maybe that's why it's being rushed.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']Fact of the matter is that every single one of us will be tuning in next week to see what Punk says, as will people that heard he returned.

There were rumors a while ago that his contract was expiring in September, so maybe that's why it's being rushed.[/QUOTE]

I won't be. They killed the angle for me. Unless something amazing happens in the next few weeks I will go back to just reading the thread and not watching.

The thing is, Mysterio would be a credible champion.. but they've had him get the shit kicked out of him his entire career, mainly (I assume) for being the little guy. Even when he had his legit run with the Big Gold Belt, he got his ass kicked in most of the matches he was in. That's why no one would buy him as any big champion.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']Fact of the matter is that every single one of us will be tuning in next week[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself, I'm gonna go skate instead.

[quote name='JJSP']The story going around is that up until Raw started, they weren't sure whether to bring back Punk this week or next.

Like it'd made a fucking difference.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The debate should've been done in terms of multiple months.

"Do we bring him back in January for the Rumble or do we wait all the way until Wrestlemania?"

So, in the week between Punk leaving with the title and returning 8 days later, I watched his entrance at MitB at least 6 or 7 times. I watched him wave goodbye to Vince and vanish into the crowd almost as many times. Each time I got goosebumps, each time I had this feeling of 'holy shit I love wrestling' and now, it's all gone.

I can already guess that the "extras" on the MitB blu-ray will include significant portions of last night's Raw. Possibly the Miz/Mysterio match (assuming it was a full match, I didn't read the results closely) and the Cena/Mysterio match + Punk's return. The combination will literally make the outcome of the PPV null and void. The PPV that is included on the same fucking disc will have no reason to exist. By extension, the Raw that followed 8 days after the PPV will have no reason to exist. I believe that the universe may well consume itself the first time someone watches the MitB DVD/Blu-ray from beginning to end.

It was real to me for a week dammit!

[/quote]Alberto Del Rio has once again been victimized by WWE’s haphazard booking as his long planned match with John Cena at SummerSlam was nixed hours before last night’s Raw telecast in Hampton, Virginia.

Creative overhauled the match line-up for SummerSlam Monday afternoon after deeming their creative plans for CM Punk for the event as “awful.” Del Rio was effectively removed from the title picture as a result. WWE’s braintrust felt that had Punk not been slotted in the title match, his much talked about storyline would extinguish.

Though Del Rio had the rug pulled out from under him once again, creative has the 34-year-old pegged for a title run this fall. WWE announced today they will present a landmark tour across Mexico this October and a number of high ranking officials feel the countryman returning as a conquering hero will garner a great deal of media attention.

Meanwhile, The Miz was at one point scheduled to reign supreme in the WWE Championship Tournament on Raw. Creative later changed their mind and the WWE Championship was awarded to Rey Mysterio, who got to hold the belt for approximately an hour and a half.[/quote]

WWE didn't know what they were doing for Raw *or* SummerSlam until yesterday, late in the afternoon.

They're hotshotting everything in sight, so can we knock it off with the "let's see where it goes" nonsense that is rooted in a (naive as fuck) sense of faith in WWE booking? You know who else is saying "let's see where it goes?" WWE fuckin' Creative. Because they don't know either.

Raw ratings are in. Flat with last week. 3-point-whatever. Same as when John Cena held the belt, same as when John Cena didn't have the belt. They're panicking over ratings, which are stable as fuck. Someone needs to tell WWE what a standard deviation is.

[quote name='mykevermin']Do you eat microwave popcorn before microwaving it, too?

JJSP, not sure of the source on your quote above, but every indicator points to WWE being in a perpetual state of panic, ready to change anything at a moment's notice. Their booking shows *zero* sign of going in that direction.[/QUOTE]
Source was Lords Of Pain, but I'm not sure who they're quoting.

As an added note on Punk, he's been added to this weekend's house shows in Illinois in what is advertised as a "champion vs champion" match against Cena.

(Since Myke posted the SS booking story)
Everything they're doing with Punk by bringing him back early underminds everything he said. Ratings go to shit, and the savior they call upon is the guy who claimed they never believed in him. I like Del Rio enough to want to see him finally fulfill his destiny and doing it in Mexico City is great and all, but why not have Rey win the belt and hold it for a while to defend against him? There's a lot of money to be made by booking a WWE Championship match in Mexico City between Rey Jr and Del Rio. Same principle as putting Yoshi Tatsu in the main event on the Japanese tours or Gabriel on the South Africa tours. Why is that easy for us to see and not the millionaires who do this shit for a living? #iwantwrestling :(

With Rey it seems they were content to coast on mask sales and upper mid carding until he retired - then Sin Cara has mediocre matches and fails his drug test and all of a sudden there's the rumor of Rey being in line for a big push again. Then they give him an hour title reign.

They may have a destination plotted out but have no fucking idea how they are going to get there.

I can absolutely see why they felt the need to bring Punk back already though. They know they can't sell John Cena vs. Rey Mysterio/Miz/whoever for a fake championship and the 23rd match in a bland Christian/Orton series from the B show.

The website I got it from cited Observer.

Let me ask you this: if you were excited by Punk's prospects, and if you were excited by the direction of the angle, or how he spoke of truth to power - what could he possibly say to continue this angle in an exciting direction next Monday?

He ran down the company for weeks and said he was walking away...then resigned a contract? Maybe if he wants to go full heel (e.g., "I got what I wanted in the contract, so I signed it."). But otherwise how can people cheer for him during the past month respect him now? How is he the babyface and Cena the heel? Because Punk is the rebel, the anti-hero? He RE-SIGNED A fuckING CONTRACT. Now, yes, yes, he's been on one the whole time - I mean in pro rasslin' world, the guy who won the title and walked away took an 8-day hiatus and ran back to the company he hated.

So here's the challenge: booking Punk returning in 4-8 weeks? That's the easy part. Punk's back on WWE programming now. Book his return promo next week. Book his feud with Cena. So that it doesn't suck. What can he say next Monday that won't make him look like a moron of epic proportions?

The only thing I can think of is having him say he was the one who finally defeated Vince McMahon and ran him out of wrestling. (and plant the seed for the hopeful Steve Austin match by mentioning that he couldn't do it) As for why he came back, they're going to need to sell the shit out of giving him everything he wanted in the contract negotiation.

Drag that out for a few weeks, and if he is really taking time off after Summerslam have H screw him via Del Rio and then fire him (with no chance of taking the belt). Punk gets his time off and Del Rio/Cena is ready to go.

I'm curious where they got with Punk for Mania. It's obvious he is going to have no bearing on Rock/Cena...and the Austin thing is super unlikely. Do they give him Taker? I think that is the way they can circumvent Punk being 2nd fiddle to Dwayne/Cena since the Taker match has been the true main event for the past 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='diddy310']The only thing I can think of is having him say he was the one who finally defeated Vince McMahon and ran him out of wrestling. (and plant the seed for the hopeful Steve Austin match by mentioning that he couldn't do it) As for why he came back, they're going to need to sell the shit out of giving him everything he wanted in the contract negotiation.

Drag that out for a few weeks, and if he is really taking time off after Summerslam have H screw him via Del Rio and then fire him (with no chance of taking the belt). Punk gets his time off and Del Rio/Cena is ready to go.

I'm curious where they got with Punk for Mania. It's obvious he is going to have no bearing on Rock/Cena...and the Austin thing is super unlikely. Do they give him Taker? I think that is the way they can circumvent Punk being 2nd fiddle to Dwayne/Cena since the Taker match has been the true main event for the past 3 years.[/QUOTE]
He could say he got everything he wanted in the contract and that he couldn't stand the thought of John Cena being considered the best again when he just beat him in Chicago.

[quote name='Halo05']Exactly. The debate should've been done in terms of multiple months.

"Do we bring him back in January for the Rumble or do we wait all the way until Wrestlemania?"

So, in the week between Punk leaving with the title and returning 8 days later, I watched his entrance at MitB at least 6 or 7 times. I watched him wave goodbye to Vince and vanish into the crowd almost as many times. Each time I got goosebumps, each time I had this feeling of 'holy shit I love wrestling' and now, it's all gone.

I can already guess that the "extras" on the MitB blu-ray will include significant portions of last night's Raw. Possibly the Miz/Mysterio match (assuming it was a full match, I didn't read the results closely) and the Cena/Mysterio match + Punk's return. The combination will literally make the outcome of the PPV null and void. The PPV that is included on the same fucking disc will have no reason to exist. By extension, the Raw that followed 8 days after the PPV will have no reason to exist. I believe that the universe may well consume itself the first time someone watches the MitB DVD/Blu-ray from beginning to end.

It was real to me for a week dammit![/QUOTE]
He would've lost way too much steam if they waited that long.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']He would've lost way too much steam if they waited that long.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, and even if he did, as long as you start the run up for his (for example) WM return a month or six weeks in advance, you can regain all that steam.

The WWE has been coasting on Cena and Orton for fucking years now and as Myke pointed out, it hasn't really changed their ratings. Milk it for another few months and in the weeks between Royal Rumble and throwaway PPV #2, have Undertaker announce that he's going to retire after Wrestlemania and he's going to go out on top. Have Punk show up and talk about how first of all, he's still the best in the world (still undefeated champion despite several high-profile indy bookings) and second, how quitting on top is his thing. Punk is back and holy shit, people aren't sure about the ending of the match because last time everyone thought Punk was going to get shafted, he got away with the actual WWE Title. Maybe lightning will strike twice and he'll take down Taker at WM.

[quote name='Halo05']Maybe lightning will strike twice and he'll take down Taker at WM.[/QUOTE]

You've got a better shot of John Cena becoming a drag queen named CeCe VaVoom than you do of ANYONE taking away Taker's 20 - 0. If you think, even for a second, that they'd let him go 19 - 1, you are de-fucking-lusional.

WRU new thread link?

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']He would've lost way too much steam if they waited that long.[/QUOTE]

Almost like they booked a wrestlemania title match a year in advance...

[quote name='mykevermin']This is what sets them ahead of TNA. Don't even try that "both companies are stupid" nonsense here. Both companies *are* stupid, but they are not *equally* stupid. Like Democrats and Republicans. One group manages to show glints of promise time and again, and never ever ever deliver on them. The other is just consistently full of shit.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say anything about both companies being stupid. My point was that some people take TNA to task for some of the ridiculous things they do (and rightfully so) but are overly forgiving of WWE when they do essentially the same thing. I'm not defending either company, I'm taking to task the people who aren't consistent in their derision of essentially the same thing when it's done from two different parties.

BTW, I had no idea you were a Republican. Who knew?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Almost like they booked a wrestlemania title match a year in advance...[/QUOTE]
The Rock can maintain mainstream attention and Cena/Rock is huge.

[quote name='mykevermin']Let me ask you this: if you were excited by Punk's prospects, and if you were excited by the direction of the angle, or how he spoke of truth to power - what could he possibly say to continue this angle in an exciting direction next Monday?[/QUOTE]

Ideally, my direction of the angle wouldn't even focus directly on Punk, at least early in the night. The angle was trying to give nods to the IWC, so why not continue that a little bit here also. Cena comes out for his obligatory promo, but gets cutoff midway through by either Punk theme. Out from the back walks... someone who is not Punk. Somebody new, preferably one of the indy guys WWE is signing. He comes out, saying that he is here in Punk's stead. WWE Officials are so mad that Punk crashed Raw last week that security has been set up to ban him from the building.

Anyway, NotPunk goes right after Cena through his catchphrases. Something along the lines "You know John, I can't believe you are actually out here, with that belt. You say you're all about hustle, loyalty, and respect. Yeah, you hustled to get where you are today. Yeah, day in and day out, you show your loyalty to the company and to the WWE universe! But where's your respect? You allow Justin Roberts to announce you as the WWE Champion? You come out here pandering around this fake belt to the crowd? Where's your respect for the title and what it represents? You're not the best!! You were beaten at Money in the Bank! Give up that belt. Put it in the garbage where it belongs. If you are that egotistical that you need to have some kind of belt to feel important, go find Dolph Ziggler. He's the only real champion on this show. But you won't, will you? Because you know you're just not good enough to win a real title. Actually, I apologize, John. You don't need to have a match with Ziggler. I'm sure Zack Ryder would be willing to have a match with you, with a more pretigious title on the line!"

At this point, have a match set up with Dolph and Cena, and have Dolph win. Theen, Cult of Personality hits, and Punk just stands on the stage, chuckling at the match that just happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xilly']You've got a better shot of John Cena becoming a drag queen named CeCe VaVoom than you do of ANYONE taking away Taker's 20 - 0. If you think, even for a second, that they'd let him go 19 - 1, you are de-fucking-lusional.

WRU new thread link?[/QUOTE]

I certainly don't think that they'll have UT go anything but 20-0 but the goal of what will probably be Undertaker's last match will be to make people think that it might happen. Who better to get people wondering about the outcome than the guy who pulled off one of the more unlikely wins/retentions in recent (if ever) memory? Now my beef remains that the subsequent handling of the angle has made it less memorable and unlikely. Throw Punk into the match with UT now and it's just another typical run-up to WM and it will be very obvious that Punk is doomed.

[quote name='Chronis']Ideally, my direction of the angle wouldn't even focus directly on Punk, at least early in the night. The angle was trying to give nods to the IWC, so why not continue that a little bit here also. Cena comes out for his obligatory promo, but gets cutoff midway through by either Punk theme. Out from the back walks... someone who is not Punk. Somebody new, preferably one of the indy guys WWE is signing. He comes out, saying that he is here in Punk's stead. WWE Officials are so mad that Punk crashed Raw last week that security has been set up to ban him from the building.

Anyway, NotPunk goes right after Cena through his catchphrases. Something along the lines "You know John, I can't believe you are actually out here, with that belt. You say you're all about hustle, loyalty, and respect. Yeah, you hustled to get where you are today. Yeah, day in and day out, you show your loyalty to the company and to the WWE universe! But where's your respect? You allow Justin Roberts to announce you as the WWE Champion? You come out here pandering around this fake belt to the crowd? Where's your respect for the title and what it represents? You're not the best!! You were beaten at Money in the Bank! Give up that belt. Put it in the garbage where it belongs. If you are that egotistical that you need to have some kind of belt to feel important, go find Dolph Ziggler. He's the only real champion on this show. But you won't, will you? Because you know you're just not good enough to win a real title. Actually, I apologize, John. You don't need to have a match with Ziggler. I'm sure Zack Ryder would be willing to have a match with you, with a more pretigious title on the line!"

At this point, have a match set up with Dolph and Cena, and have Dolph win. Theen, Cult of Personality hits, and Punk just stands on the stage, chuckling at the match that just happened.[/QUOTE]

You got a PPV in 2.5 weeks to sell, you can't spin your wheels next week. Punk's gotta talk, that's the point.

If you bring out someone to "speak for Punk," then you better choose who it is. Because now you're creating a stable, like it or not.

Also, why Dolph vs Cena?

I don't see what you're doing here. There's no progress, there's no clear direction. Not feeling it. You're following up on the hottest angle of the year by, frankly, putting me to sleep at worst, confusing me at best. And not in a good "what's going to happen next?" confusing way. A "they did this crap last week already, are they out of ideas?" way. Not good.

[quote name='mykevermin']Pillman?[/QUOTE]

I suppose that's the closest, but Punk doesn't strike me as an unpredictable nut as much as a guy who is fairly in-touch with the "modern fan" just being himself in a company full of fake characters. I don't see Punk ever going out there and referring to a black wrestler as a "$$$$a with attitude" (ECW) or pulling a gun on another wrestler (WWF).

Then again, if Punk somehow tricks the office into giving him a legit release and then bails to go to Ring of Honor or whatever, I'll definitely change my tune. Not likely, since Punk isn't stupid.

[quote name='Halo05']I certainly don't think that they'll have UT go anything but 20-0 but the goal of what will probably be Undertaker's last match will be to make people think that it might happen. Who better to get people wondering about the outcome than the guy who pulled off one of the more unlikely wins/retentions in recent (if ever) memory? Now my beef remains that the subsequent handling of the angle has made it less memorable and unlikely. Throw Punk into the match with UT now and it's just another typical run-up to WM and it will be very obvious that Punk is doomed.[/QUOTE]

The thing is... I don't know that there's anyone on the roster currently who's good enough in the ring to help carry Taker through his last match. IMO Taker's been unable to really go for the past few years, and it's really sad to see him get so blown up in the ring, considering the infrequency of his matches. Certainly Punk is good in the ring, but is he good enough to make a believable match out of it? I hope whomever they choose for what's obviously going to be Taker's "last ride" is someone who can help him look great in the ring, and we can all have a warm and fuzzy of Taker going out while still looking great.

It's a shame WWE didn't try harder to make real stars out of Shelton Benjamin and Elijah Burke. That three way dance they had with Punk on WWECW is one of my favorite matches ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back