The Era of Punk Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='guyver2077']wow Ryder on Raw.. someones paying attention to the world wide web[/QUOTE]

Punk even asked him on Friday when would Zack Ryder be back on RAW.

Why would they use something other than the spinner when Cena wins it right back anyway?

[quote name='guyver2077']o lord.. who the fuck cares about JR[/QUOTE]

Who the fuck cares about Goldberg?

[quote name='Survivalism']
Who the fuck cares about Goldberg?[/QUOTE]

That. When the history of 20th/early 21st century professional wrestling is written, JR will be lauded as the best announcer in the world. Goldberg will be mentioned as a guy who had an impressive run in a soon-to-be dying wrestling fed.

[quote name='Survivalism']Why would they use something other than the spinner when Cena wins it right back anyway?

Who the fuck cares about Goldberg?[/QUOTE]

I sure do..

anyways they just couldnt keep punk off screen for any longer could they...Dont really care for that song.. why not just use his regular theme...

It all seems sooo rushed to get the feud set up for SS

Total pandering to the indy fans by having him use that music again, but I ain't complaining.

Kind of sucks that he's back so soon in that it sort of cheapens the prior match, but having hm around is way better than not having him around.

Them letting Punk have Cult of Personality again more than made up for another Cena championship reign. Guess they're gonna have a WWE Championship unification match at Summerslam.

[quote name='diddy310']I love that song for him but I do hope they put some kinda hook at the beginning.[/QUOTE]
Ugh. No no no and NO. Last thing I want to hear is some stupid "AAAAWWWESOOOME" or "WHOOOOO" before it starts. It's like WWE thinks they won't know who is coming out.

[quote name='neocisco']If it ain't Goldberg's theme, it sucks![/QUOTE]

Amen

Its prob a one time thing though...im a huge fan of punk's wwe theme

[quote name='Survivalism']Who the fuck cares about Goldberg?[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Regardless I marked out HARD when Cult Of Personality started playing. That along with the return of Jim Ross made RAW that much better for me.

Cole and Lawler's politics-heavy commentary during the show-opening WWE Title match bugged me, which sucked since the match was really good. Miz busting out a swank yakuza kick AND using Ultimo's WW3 slingshot Liger bomb on Rey. This was well-worth going out of your way to see, and seeing Rey get his first WWE Title was pretty unexpected. Alberto coming out with the case AND swank new gear was a great tease for him to win the title against a weakened Rey before he did the Miz deal of not cashing it in after handing the case in. Then, AFTER BASHING SPEECHES THROUGHOUT THE WWE TITLE MATCH, they followed it by saying HHH would deliver a state of WWE speech. Good God. Rey's post-match promo wasn't particularly good, but I enjoyed the champagne bash. Ryder AND Titus O'Neill got TV time.

Evan-Dolph was perfectly fine, but a tad boring at times. Dolph's remix should theoretically help him because it's easier to take him seriously because it's slower and more intense, but it also lost all the energy of the other theme. Loved the SSP>Zig Zag into a flip bump leading to the sleeper finish. They actually established that someone was definitely better than someone else, so hey, that was a good thing, even if it did put Evan at a level beneath the U.S. title. I liked that they brought up Dolph being a tag champ, and for a guy who's held so many titles, he really should be more of a star than he is. Either that, or titles should be more important so that mid-card dudes haven't held five of them.

Good God was the divas yelping back and forth annoying AND THEN it led to Keith Stone appearing. And the acting here...Jesus this was terrible. Then they talked about more political shit - if I wanted to see something about politics, read about them, or hear about them, I'd tune my TV into CNN. And when Cole announced we'd hear from someone next, I expected it to be another third-rate sponsor, but instead, it was HHH. And after the bad divas (but decent fanservice) match, they HINTED at him announcing a return of CM...THAT GUY WHO LEFT CHICAGO AS WWE CHAMPION". This was largely annoying. Funny, but annoying.

HHH came out with his full entrance, including the REX CRANIUM text, which I'm going to assume means "push killer" in Latin. He announced Rey-Cena for later and this just killed the crowd. They booed. I was pissed at this. Then he announced J.R.'s return which gave me some hope that at least this show would have some good announcing finally...and King worked in another Obama knock. Then they just spent FOR-EVER with Cole ranting and bitching, HHH making "jokes" about contracts that died numerous deaths. Then Truth came out to try and save this. Then HHH made more "jokes" God. this would just never end. Then he said he re-signed ANOTHER guy and it was just Morrison, who they did a video on hyping his return last week, so...yeah. Bunch of nothing there. It took about 20 minutes to make a single meaningful match, a stupid comedy one, and tell a bunch of bad jokes. So it was like every HHH DX promo in the past five years, only he's supposed to be taken seriously. This was so bad I was actually looking forward to Cole's match after it. Cole doing HHH's schtick was amusing simply due to the water spit, but it seemed odd to further turn HHH into a comedy act with this. And Cole didn't help make Ryder look good, so the point of this was kind of negated.

After having a bad taste in my mouth due to most of the prior half-hour, Ricardo was just what I needed to be happy again. Kofi-Alberto was a lot of fun, and J.R. added to the match by putting over the skills of both men and NOT BURYING ANYONE like Cole would. Alberto and Ricardo posing with the MITB case afterwards was tremendous. The wacky Vince recap video with violin music playing over it was hilarious. Oh, and HHH will be on SD. An actual star appearing on the show is huge news apparently. Seeing Rey actually come out as WWE Champion was something else. Here's a guy who WWE low-balled on his first contract, that Vince didn't even want to give the SD Title to, buried him when he did get it, had a cup of coffee with the WHC last year, and now he's the WWE Champion - smallest guy to ever hold that title and also to hold both the WWE and World Heavyweight titles.

Rey-Cena was really good stuff. Thank God for Rey being on Raw, because he's been the glue as far as workrate goes, and you can't go wrong with the past two weeks having two matches on each show. It's not good for Rey's long-term career since he's getting towards the end of the trail and doing double duty won't help him. Rey and Cena each took sick-sounding bumps on the floor after the falling clothesline on the floor, especially Cena, who landed right on his hip during it. J.R. added a lot here, managing to put things over in just the right tone without being over the top. That hurt this match with King going on about how controversial Cena is, how he's the most controversial athlete in WWE and how the Cena Sucks/LET'S GO CENA chants prove it. Rey countering the second flying shoulderblock with...something that resembled a dropkick wasn't pretty, but I was glad to see that sequence broken up. Cena turning the wheelbarrow bulldog into the protoplex was awesome - far smoother looking than the shouldblock-dropkick deal. Cena took some clunky bumps after this, including an ugly one off of a flying headscissors/victory rollish thing. Rey countering the STF with his own STF was tremendous! Then they teased the same finish from Rey's first match, only with Cena getting the knees up for the splash. King getting in ANOTHER POLITICAL MENTION sure won't age well when this hits the Best of Raw 2011 DVD. I found it a bit odd that they actually went with "Cena coming from behind with a knee injury" here after Miz basically did the same thing earlier. The FU coming out of the 619 run was fantastic. I'm not a fan of Rey's reign ending so quickly, but hell, even as short as it was, it was still memorable due to this match. This wasn't a perfect match, but it was still PPV main event-level. Then "Cult of Personality" hit, which I thought they'd use for him at MITB and I lost it. What a perfect theme for this version of Punk. And his new tron has world leaders in it to reflect the lyrics, so it looks like it's his new theme! Punk-Cena II for the Undisputed Title at Summerslam. Awesome! Aside from HHH's death segment, this was a very good show overall with two fantastic matches AND Punk's return.

Screens -

IT'S CLOBBERING TIME!

Quotes -
Cole - Raw starts with the WWE TITLE MATCH!
Cole - A COURAGEOUS MIZ OVERCAME ALL ODDS. NOT ONLY DEFEATING ALEX RILEY, BUT DEFEATING KOFI KINGSTON AFTER A DEVESTATING INJURY IN THE MITB LADDER MATCH!
Cole - No matter what is happening in America, NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE WWE TITLE BEING ON THE LINE TONIGHT!
Cole - Many call Rey the Magic Man.
Cole - HOW CAN REY BE ON TALK SHOWS WITH A MASK!? HOW CAN PEOPLE TELL WHAT HE’S THINKING OR FEELING!?
Lawler - There’s talk of the country defaulting, but the WWE Title is the most important thing in the world right now.
Lawler - THIS ISN’T BORING POLITCAL RHETORIC YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO, IT’S THE WWE TITLE!
Cole - PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD ARE WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT!
Cole - THIS ISN’T BORING RHETORIC, IT’S WWE ACTION!
Josh - You’ve never been WWE Champion.
Rey - IT’S A LONG WAY TO THE TOP IF YA WANNA ROCK AND ROLL! All the lonely nights being on the road without my kids and wife. Daddy’s coming home and bringing the gold!
Cole - Dolph Ziggler, a former world champion, IC Champion, tag champion, and current US Champion.
Cole - At one point, Evan Bourne was the vice president of a mailbox company…
King - So?
Cole - AND HE HAS THE PERSONALITY OF AN ENVELOPE!
King - And if Obama gets his way, we’ll only have mail delivery three days a week.
Dolph - FOLLOW THAT!
King - Kelly looks like my fourth wife. I’ve only been married three times.
King - HHH is going to announce a BLOCKBUSTER RETURN NEXT!? I HOPE IT’S CM… THAT GUY WHO WAS WWE CHAMPION!
HHH - Before we get started, there’s something I’d like to get off my chest - I’d like to acknowledge why we’re all here tonight. The reason that WWE is the global success that it is. I’d like to acknowledge why there are tens of thousands in this arena and millions more are watching at home around the world. It’s due to one man’s vision - his pure genius. And for that I would like to say, from the bottom of my heart, thank you Vince. BUT I’M NOT HERE TO TALK ABOUT THE PAST, I’M HERE TO TALK ABOUT THE FUTURE. AND TONIGHT, WE CROWNED A NEW WWE CHAMPION! Congratulations to Rey Mysterio, but here’s the thing - since I’m in charge, I can do things differently. Tonight, for the first tiem ever, we’ll have a second WWE Title match right here on Raw! (fans boo) I’ve spoken to both men and they’re in agreement that it needs to take place tonight. Rey will defend against the man who was cheated out of his deserved rematch, it will be Rey against… JOHN CENA! The WWE Universe worldwide…
Crowd - CM PUNK! CM PUNK!
HHH - There’s one name they’re in agreement should be back on Raw, and this week, I contacted that man and re-signed him! So I would like it if right now, you would help me welcome him back to Raw! (JR comes out)
King - WELCOME BACK, JR!
Cole - Sir, no disrespect. But ya know, you talk about the future of WWE. THE FUTURE!? THIS MAN IS THE WALKING DEAD! HHH, I’VE DONE…SINCE WM… I’VE DONE EVERYTHING ASKED. I ATE CROW. I’VE DONE ALL THESE THINGS. GOD, I EVEN PUT THIS MAN’S FOOT IN MY MOUTH! I WILL DO ANYTHING THE COMPANY WANTS, BUT I REFUSE, I REFUSE TO SIT DOWN AND WORK WITH THIS FAT HAYSEED! I REFUSE TO WORK WITH THIS TWO-FACE! I MEAN ONE-FACE OKLAHOMA REDBECK! WHAT’S THE MATTER, JR!? YA NEED THE MONEY SINCE YOUR RESTAURANTS WENT BELLY UP!? DID YA EAT ALL THE PROFITS!? I KNOW WHAT YOU WANAN DO!? YOU SPENT YOUR CAREER KISSING MR. MCMAHON’S ASS, SO NOW YOU’LL RUN INTO THE RING AND KISS HHH’S ASS TOO! I KNOW! YOU COULDN’T ALLOW YOUR EGO TO LET YOU SIT HOME. THE ONLY THING BIGGER THAN YOUR EGO IS YOUR GUT! I CANNOT DO IT. I CANNOT STAND HIM! I WON’T DO IT!
HHH - Are ya done? You’ll blow out your o ring - be careful. I knew you’d be mad, so my first inclination was to fire you and bring J.R. Back, but I looked into your contract, and it would cost me more for to not be here than to stay - your severance package is ridiculous! (crowd does nothing for this joke) If you wanna leave, I get it, but if you do, you’ll be in breach of contract and surrender all future earnings. I know I’ve sprung this on you last second, so I’ll let you take the night off and you have to until Friday to decide. If you show up, I know you’ll want your job, and if you don’t, I’ll wish you well in your future endeavors.
Cole - I’M NOT QUITTING! I’ll just sit down and do my job the rest of the night.
HHH - Great, but you shouldn’t sit down, because if you do, then you’ll be late for your match!
Cole - MATCH!? I’M RETIRED! MY GEAR’S IN THE HALL OF FAME!
HHH - I know, I gave you the night off from commentary, and I booked you in a match, so I selected some gear for you. And you’d better get it on because time’s ticking!
Truth - AIN’T THIS A BLIP! IT’S OUT WITH THA OLD AND IN WIT DA NEW! DA MAN, DAT MAN, DA MAN THAT’S BEEN A PART OF THE CONSPIRACY SINCE DAY ONE IS NOW THE MAN IN THE WWE! CONGRATS, HHH! DON’T WHAT ME! CONGRATULATIONS! Unlike Cole, I LIKE WHAT I SEE! Ya see, I see a new day! A NEW REGIME! ETC. ETC! Whadya gonna do…exactly…for me!? Before ya say…LITTLE JIMMIES!? LITTLE JIMMY COST ME MY MATCH AT CAPITOL PUNISHMENT! SPIDAS AND HEIGHTS COST ME THE MITB CASE! DON’T LIKE SPIDAS OR HEIGHTS! I JUST WANNA KNOW, WHADYA GONNA DO TO RECTIFY THE CONSPIRACY AGAINST THE TRUTH!?
HHH - You talking to me or the other guys?
Truth - AIN’T NO OTHER GUYS BEHIND ME!
HHH - I know.
Truth - HE THINK WE JOKIN!
HHH - No, what’s that? No, it’s not a joke. Yeah, it’s funny. Shut up. But…you’re right. He needs medication, that’s all. Now ya made him mad. Truth, he doesn’t like how that guy’s eye-balling him!
Truth - YOU CRAZY! YOU’RE TALKING TO PEOPLE THAT DON’T EXIST!
HHH - It’s like I’M INSANE, RIGHT?!
Truth - You might be the game, BUT I’M NOT PLAYING!
HHH - I re-signed another guy and when I re-signed him, he said he wanted a piece of you! (Morrison comes out)
JR - Cole was angry at the world, now he’s just angry at the water.
King - THIS GUY IS AN INTERNET SENSATION!
J.R. - Kingston showing great FIGHTING SPIRIT!
Miz - AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO BLAMES CENA!/ HE LOST THE TITLE TO HE WHO SHALL NTO BE NAMED! THINGS HAVE GONE FROM BAD TO WORSE NOW THAT HHH IS IN CHARGE! THE FACE OF OUR COMPANY IS LITERALLY A MAN WITH NO FACE!
King - NUMBER 1 CONDIVAS TITLE BATTLE ROYAL NEXT WEEK!
King - JOHN CENA IS THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL ATHLETE IN WWE HISTORY!
Crowd - LET’S GO CENA! CENA SUCKS!
King - THERE’S THAT CONTROVERSY!
King - THIS NIGHT ISN’T ABOUT POLITICS, IT’S ABOUT THE WWE TITLE!

[quote name='TheRock88']Them letting Punk have Cult of Personality again more than made up for another Cena championship reign. Guess they're gonna have a WWE Championship unification match at Summerslam.[/QUOTE]

I'm really hoping WWE keeps up what they've been doing and don't drop the ball come SummerSlam.

That video would be nice if it weren't for the retard watching it on DVR pretending he's watching it "live" and overdoing his reactions.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Ugh. No no no and NO. Last thing I want to hear is some stupid "AAAAWWWESOOOME" or "WHOOOOO" before it starts. It's like WWE thinks they won't know who is coming out.[/QUOTE]

I need to see it when he does his entrance normally. They already cut it down to go right into the first verse.

[quote name='PJeff']Raven was Come Out & Play[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah, you're right. Sorry, fingers working faster than the brain.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Having never heard of "Cult of Personality" before 2 minutes ago, I can honestly say that I am marking out right now.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0

1988 and the Civil Rights Movement would like to have a word with you.

[quote name='xilly']1988 and the Civil Rights Movement would like to have a word with you.[/QUOTE]
I was 4 years old, excuuuuuuse me princess.

I already miss "This Fire Burns." They should've used that tonight, and then Cult for next week.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Having never heard of "Cult of Personality" before 2 minutes ago[/QUOTE]

Holy Christ I feel old.

I'm not thrilled that they decided to hotshot all the anticipation and buildup, but what can you do? I'm not thrilled, but I'm not shocked, either.

Give 'em everything but the kitchen sink because the ratings didn't pop 0.1 a point from week to week.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I was 4 years old, excuuuuuuse me princess.

I already miss "This Fire Burns." They should've used that tonight, and then Cult for next week.[/QUOTE]

WWE used it for Austin's HoF hype vid two years ago.

[quote name='guyver2077']Amen

Its prob a one time thing though...im a huge fan of punk's wwe theme[/QUOTE]

double-facepalm.jpg

Well, alright then. You couldn't let anticipation build, could you? You had to hit the panic button, didn't you?

*sigh*

So get that fuckin' Chicago-only t-shirt up on your website, willya?

guyver, given that they've got Punk's tron filled with people mentioned IN the song, I doubt it's a one-time thing. I hope it isn't, because he comes off like a much bigger star with "Cult of Personality" than he does with his WWE theme.

[quote name='mykevermin']Holy Christ I feel old.

I'm not thrilled that they decided to hotshot all the anticipation and buildup, but what can you do? I'm not thrilled, but I'm not shocked, either.

Give 'em everything but the kitchen sink because the ratings didn't pop 0.1 a point from week to week.[/QUOTE]

Blew their load way too fast, IMO. One comic-con appearance to further the angle and that's it? So much for WWE accepting other mediums as a way to advance the storyline. He should have been off TV a while. This will just setup a match with Cena where Cena will win and they're right back where they started. I noticed Punk's belt has his name on it. If he wasn't employed by the company I would think it'd still have Cena's name on it. Maybe that's just being nit-picky.

I love Cult of Personality, but I don't think it fits well as a wrestler's theme. While it's obviously the better song, the old one fits him better. Chances are he's just using Cult when he's not "employed" by the WWE anyways.

No way they don't put the shirt out now given that they modeled his whole entrance in that style. Should be up soon enough...I'm guessing with the Chicago 7/17 part removed so the ebay buyers don't kick themselves in the ass too hard.

I have a feeling he'll stick with Cult as long as he's not "employed" by WWE. He could probably say something like how he got to choose the music he came out to in the indys and when he joined WWE, they made him come out to whatever music they wanted. Now that he's "free", he can go back to whatever he wants.

And pleassseee put that shirt on WWE.com. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']guyver, given that they've got Punk's tron filled with people mentioned IN the song, I doubt it's a one-time thing. I hope it isn't, because he comes off like a much bigger star with "Cult of Personality" than he does with his WWE theme.[/QUOTE]

You mean the theme that Randy Orton had them buy for him, and that he only got to use once on Smackdown? :p

I didn't mind Punk's former theme at all, but it looks like they're going the full 9 with the Punk-as-the-Anti-Cena-Fan-Savior thing, so this was definitely a smart change.

This is it - this is probably only the second time in the last 5+ years (the other being the Cena heel tease angle with Barrett) where they could truly do something to change things up and make them fresh again, and with Punk you have someone that could probably handle the position quite well. Like everyone else with any sense of history, I'll believe it when I actually see it.

Anyway, sorry if this has been posted before, but I just noticed it. Some pretty good stuff: Kelly Kelly is my most hated female wrestler since...I dunno...other faceless interchangable "diva" #234.

http://twitter.com/#!/DumbKellyKelly

CM Punk's new theme song is from Living Colour. Awesome !!! I loved that TV show !!! "Homey Don't Play That !!!"

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']I doubt that's Kelly's actual twitter account[/QUOTE]

....Good lookin' out, Sherlock.

I'm Kelly Kelly. I'm a WWE Diva. I like really shiny things, and my favorite color is apple. (This is a parody Twitter, I am not really Kelly Kelly)

Why doesn't Chris Benoit wrestle anymore? I feel like he's never mentioned at all.

Random Thoughts:
Congrats Miz on Number One on the PWI 500, he really has come a very long way.
Could they bury Rey any harder then they did tonight?
Yes, too soon for Punk to return, but I still hopped out of my seat when he appeared.
Cult Of Personality fits this version of Punk.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The Miz has been named number one on the PWI 500 list for 2011.[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to shit on it. The guy had a hell of year and has improved a great deal in a relatively short amount of time. Good for him.

i wished they took longer for punk's return. After the comic con appearance...i thought he WAS going to take a long break. I was hoping they would let the usual Cena title run build a little and than hit the shocker of Punk coming back.

I also marked out when he appeared but it didnt last long. I love Living Color but i do miss Killswitch Engaged.

If they stick with it, I can't wait for the annoyed uproar that'll pop up when Cult of Personality is overdubbed on all the upcoming DVD releases.

The more I think about it, the more incredibly disappointed I am that they hit the panic button and brought him back this soon.

This is Cena getting fired all over again - WWE writers want to make lofty claims in what they advertise, and then realize they've painted themselves into a corner. And by corner, I mean WWE corporate shits their pants when ratings don't jump from the same old 3-point-nothing they've been for years now to a 4-point-oh. They have preposterously unattainable goals, and are unwilling to take any chances to grow the product to get there. They expect the product to turn on a dime and just *explode* in popularity without any risks or changes to it.

Punk was gone for less time than most families spend on summer vacation. Him cutting a promo saying "I'm baaaa-aaaaack!" (shown on wwe.com) is pathetic. It takes elderly people longer to get their mail than it took for CM Punk to leave and return to WWE.

He's so rebellious. :roll:

[quote name='mykevermin']The more I think about it, the more incredibly disappointed I am that they hit the panic button and brought him back this soon.

This is Cena getting fired all over again - WWE writers want to make lofty claims in what they advertise, and then realize they've painted themselves into a corner. And by corner, I mean WWE corporate shits their pants when ratings don't jump from the same old 3-point-nothing they've been for years now to a 4-point-oh. They have preposterously unattainable goals, and are unwilling to take any chances to grow the product to get there. They expect the product to turn on a dime and just *explode* in popularity without any risks or changes to it.

Punk was gone for less time than most families spend on summer vacation. Him cutting a promo saying "I'm baaaa-aaaaack!" (shown on wwe.com) is pathetic. It takes elderly people longer to get their mail than it took for CM Punk to leave and return to WWE.

He's so rebellious. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.

The show could last without Punk for awhile because this is the right time to let the product go stale after MITB. they could have waited 3-6 months from now and then unveiled punk.
The impact and popularity would have been huge,

Im actually disappointed like Myke after taking a back seat and really thinking about it.

Par for the course, WWE. Yawn. The great part is all of the people who take TNA to task for every perceived slight were all over WWE's jock with this angle. WWE has a proven track record of providing a good-to-great moment and then summarily falling flat on their collective faces in their clumsy attempts to follow up on it. The highly disparate standards that some hold these companies to reek of hypocrisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back