The Era of Punk Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love for Raw to go without a main title for a while, or eliminate the brand extension. It'll be awesome to see Punk show up in ROH or NJPW with the title too. With all the awesome possibilities, I can't help but see every which way WWE will squander and fuck up this opportunity.

[quote name='neocisco']C'mon, everyone knows that matches outside of WWE don't count.[/QUOTE]
I can name 20 in the WWE that were better.

Miz vs. Morrison, Falls Count Anywhere, Raw
Edge vs. Ziggler, Royal Rumble
Royal Rumble Match
Del Rio vs. Kofi, Elimination Chamber
Smackdown Elimination Chamber
Raw Elimination Chamber
Edge vs. Del Rio, Wrestlemania
Punk vs. Orton, Wrestlemania
Punk vs. Orton, Extreme Rules
Rhodes vs. Mysterio, Extreme Rules
Christian vs. Del Rio, Extreme Rules
Cena vs. Miz vs. Morrison, Extreme Rules
Cena vs. Miz, Raw after Extreme Rules
Christian vs. Orton, Smackdown after Extreme Rules
Christian vs. Orton, Over the Limit
Cena vs. Miz, Over the Limit
Christian vs. Orton, Capitol Punishment
Mysterio vs. Punk, Capitol Punishment
Mysterio vs. Punk, Raw
Raw MITB
Smackdown MITB
Punk vs. Cena, MITB

I don't even really watch Smackdown, which has a lot of good matches as well. I just don't understand how someone could think the HHH/Taker match was great. The beginning was pretty good, but you knew there was no chance of it ending until there were at least 2 pedigrees and 2 tombstones. The 3rd pedigree and the tombstone from HHH to Taker were very intense moments, but that couldn't save the match for me.

Cena/Miz Over The Limit? The worst I Quit match of all time?

A ridiculously slow paced half hour 2 man beatdown, followed by a shitty retread of Foley/Rock for the false finish, then Cena overcomes the odds.

[quote name='Regian']Said that the other night and someone lol'd me. Though, I am flip-flopping between the two. Both are extraordinary matches from this year.[/QUOTE]

Well, when someone lol's you, it's because they can't come up with a legitimate argument against what you're saying. This is a great example of the storyline and atmosphere making the match better than it actually was, and a lot of people are missing this concept. I'm the biggest Undertaker mark in the world but it's hard to care about Wrestlemania when he's just going to win and that's the way it is. Would you really rather watch a match that had good wrestling in front of a dead crowd that you didn't give a shit about and there's no real reason for it to happen? That's what TNA is and that's why nobody likes them.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted'] The last 10 minutes or so of the match was just spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was a lot like they had just battled for a half hour and were tired.

Edit: Oh, never mind, I see by your inclusion of Cena/Miz that you're not serious.

UT/HHH was a bore since everyone over the age of 10 knew UT was going to win. That, plus, health allowing, he still has one match to go. People will pop like crazy next year since it will be his last match, even if the match is pretty dull. It''ll be the equivalent of Al Pacino winning the Oscar for Scent of a Woman. The recognition won't be for that match, it will be for his entire career.

[quote name='Survivalism']
Yeah, it was a lot like they had just battled for a half hour and were tired.

Edit: Oh, never mind, I see by your inclusion of Cena/Miz that you're not serious.[/QUOTE]
The whole match was just under a half hour long. It became a complete spot fest after 17 minutes. Taker's Mania matches with MIchaels (2), Edge, Batista, Orton, Flair, and Triple H (from X-Seven) completely shit all over this year's match.

Agreed that Cena/Miz might be stretching it because the ending of that match was complete shit and one of the worst I've ever seen, but there are 20 other matches on that list anyway.

[quote name='neocisco']UT/HHH was a bore since everyone over the age of 10 knew UT was going to win. That, plus, health allowing, he still has one match to go. People will pop like crazy next year since it will be his last match, even if the match is pretty dull. It''ll be the equivalent of Al Pacino winning the Oscar for Scent of a Woman. The recognition won't be for that match, it will be for his entire career.[/QUOTE]

I'm over 10, and I wasn't 100 percent sure. I mean, come on. He was up against Triple H. If anyone would be the one to pull his backstage clout to end the streak, it's Trips.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']I'm over 10, and I wasn't 100 percent sure. I mean, come on. He was up against Triple H. If anyone would be the one to pull his backstage clout to end the streak, it's Trips.[/QUOTE]

Let's see, UT is on the verge of a 20-0 WM streak. You actually believe that Vince would allow HHH to masturbate his own ego to the point that he would come back for one match and ruin what would arguably be the biggest selling point of next year's WM? And that's working under the assumption that HHH would even want to do that in the first place. C'mon now.

[quote name='neocisco']Let's see, UT is on the verge of a 20-0 WM streak. You actually believe that Vince would allow HHH to masturbate his own ego to the point that he would come back for one match and ruin what would arguably be the biggest selling point of next year's WM? And that's working under the assumption that HHH would even want to do that in the first place. C'mon now.[/QUOTE]

Well, you never know with WWE. They do stupid shit all the time. This would be the ultimate in stupid. They aren't above complete stupidity.

Once Shawn Michaels didn't beat him twice, I became pretty sure that UT would go 20-0 at WM.

I'll still go berserk for his match at this WM, I just hope whoever he's with can pick up any slack caused by UT's myriad of injuries.

I'm dying at not being able to watch RAW tonight. Does it get streamed anywhere during/immediately after the airing or would that involve using less than savory means to see it?

[quote name='Halo05']Once Shawn Michaels didn't beat him twice, I became pretty sure that UT would go 20-0 at WM.

I'll still go berserk for his match at this WM, I just hope whoever he's with can pick up any slack caused by UT's myriad of injuries.

I'm dying at not being able to watch RAW tonight. Does it get streamed anywhere during/immediately after the airing or would that involve using less than savory means to see it?[/QUOTE]

I use wmr-sports.net to watch RAW live every week. They usually put it up on their on demand section within an hour of it being broadcast.

Nice, thanks man.

I'd usually never recommend that anyone go to TMZ, but you have to see all the pictures of Punk with the belt. I mean, it looks like he's just wandering around with it outside, letting random people hold it, showing it to a cab driver, etc.

Again, I don't know the last time wrestling made me this happy.

This is probably the first Raw that I watched in the past 3-5 years. But even *I* knew that Del Rio wasn't going to win the belt tonight. Doesn't make sense to have your champ be the money in the bank. Wasn't sure if he was going to lose to Kofi, but I didn't see him making it past the semifinal, if only because of logic.

My prediction though? It'll be Miz vs Rey in the final. Of course, that's coming from somebody who doesn't follow the WWE much.

When I saw they were holding a tournament to crown a new champion I lost interest and went to do something else. Completely killed the goodwill and momentum they'd built up with me.

[quote name='Genocidal']When I saw they were holding a tournament to crown a new champion I lost interest and went to do something else. Completely killed the goodwill and momentum they'd built up with me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree. I went to the gym after I watched the opening. They have something red hot and they throw ice water on it. It would have been awesome to see Vince come out and beg CM Punk to come back. They could have also had all the top contenders start calling him out for running scared, taking the main prize in the business and being a bitch for not defending it, etc. If they were going to do a tournament they should have waited for Summer Slam.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Yeah I agree. I went to the gym after I watched the opening. They have something red hot and they throw ice water on it. It would have been awesome to see Vince come out and beg CM Punk to come back. They could have also had all the top contenders start calling him out for running scared, taking the main prize in the business and being a bitch for not defending it, etc. If they were going to do a tournament they should have waited for Summer Slam.[/QUOTE]

Having a tournament at Summer Slam would be an awful idea. You'd get short little matches like you're getting tonight and you also need time for Smackdown matches. It would be rushed garbage.

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']Having a tournament at Summer Slam would be an awful idea. You'd get short little matches like you're getting tonight and you also need time for Smackdown matches. It would be rushed garbage.[/QUOTE]

You could easily condense the tournament down to 3 matches. 2 opening matches and then a main event. There aren't more than 4 people worthy of the title.

I think Punk was pretty serious about taking some time off. With that being said, if this championship tournament leads to a Razor Ramon/Shawn Micheals situation then I am fine with it.

WWE has come to terms on the release of Mr. McMahon (Vincent McMahon). WWE wishes Vince McMahon the best in his future endeavors.

If WWE does sign Hero and Castagnoli, do you think they'll rename them? If they don't, do you think they bring up Black from developmental as "Seth Rollins" or Tyler Black?

'Cause, I gotta say, a stable of Punk, Cabana, Hero, Castagnoli, and Black sounds pretty good.

If you would have told me that the WWE would kill all the momentum and excitement that was built up in ONE night and that John Cena's first "firing" would last longer than this one, I wouldn't have believed it.

You got me Vince, you got me. Something miraculous has to happen to save this shit.

During the commercial break for the Kofi Kingston vs. Alberto Del Rio match on tonight’s RAW, Vince McMahon came out and yelled at the crowd for being so dead. Vince was in character but it was noted that he may have been legitimately upset at the subdued atmosphere in the building.

First Raw I've watched more than half an hour of in probably 3 years. I enjoyed most of it. The tournament was a fine idea although I think maybe a week of shell-shock would've been a bit more appropriate.

I'm left very curious and happy about Punk's future in the WWE. I mean, like someone in the chat said, they have Benoited him and it adds credibility and meaning to his departure with the title. Remember when Cena got fired and still ran around everywhere with his kneepads on, this is the anti-Cena firing angle and it works better. He'll still come back sometime soon and have a very legitimate claim as the "real" World Champion against whoever has the new title so there's an easy feud.

My biggest concern is that when Punk comes back, he'll be a face based on crowd response. I don't want him to act any differently than he has for the past 2-3 months. Turning him into Austin is gold and I want to see it happen in the same way that it did for Austin.

If memory serves, Benoit was a large part of the reason that the WWE shifted to a more kid-friendly lineup. I understand their need to clean things up a bit following 2007 but we're now over four years (holy shit) removed from the tragedy. A shift back to TV-14 would be welcome as it would, in my opinion, allow the wrestlers to be more natural in their promos/storylines. They're adults, they get pissed, and they curse as a result. There's nothing wrong or vulgar about it, it's the way we, as emotional beings react to things.

Biggest disappointment of tonight was the return of Triple H. Although I thought he was coming back to squash er... wrestle people for the title so if he doesn't, things could be okay. Second biggest disappointment was the crowd's failure to be anything but dull for a vast majority of the evening. I realize they're not the reason to watch wrestling, but that crowd at MitB added so much to the main event. I didn't need CM Punk chants all night long but I would've loved for Cena to get booed out of the building again.

Here's a couple of things I noticed with Vince tonight. After he gave the announcement of the tournament and was in the ring with Johnny Ass, he had this kind of look on his face and demeanor that said, yep, everything's gonna be OK, hunky dory, but not quite sure of it. When Trips came out to talk about the situation, Vince said off mic in a nervous joking manner, ha ha what situation. Vince lost the belt, and with it, his life and his grapefruits.

Where does Trips go from here? The WWE tournament is dead. Punk will make the first move, bringing the belt to another organization, probably ROH. Then, declare a war on Punk and a war on ROH to get the belt back that means everything to WWE and Triple H. We have the first true inter promotion war in American wrestling history and this brings people back in droves.

If I'm gonna dream, I'm gonna dream big.

What I got from the end segment was that this is the end of Vince's idea of what the WWE should be. Now it's time for a new change with new guys being in the main event (like Bryan winning the MITB last night). Just like Punk said last week, Vince has no idea what makes a wrestler/superstar in 2011 so this could be a turning of the tide.

Vince's opening promo in a pink suit jacket was awesome, aside from a few little flubs. He was hilarious here, and then they showed the graphics for the title tourney with Alberto and Mr. Fantatico's arm next to the MITB case and I howled with laughter. Then Vince said ENJOY THE SHOW! Miz-Riley was an interesting match due to how poorly Riley did both a half-crab and cloverleaf. SIT DOWN ON THE MOVES, ya dweeb. He's got good punches though, so...that's something. Loved Miz winning and getting a face pop after doing so. I liked having everyone in the MITB ladder match in the tourney...except for Evan. Poor guy. It does make some sense for Dolph to be in instead of him since he is a champion though. Good Morrison vid - hopefully things work out for him as a main eventer after getting some acting lessons.

Swagger-Truth was death for the crowd. Heel-heel, and mid-card heels at that, AND they began with a long, boring headlock AND the announcers talked about everything, including the Super Bowl, instead of the match. Loved Alberto's promo AND more importantly, Ricardo returning. Alberto-Kofi was fine, although Kofi winning seemed to set up Kofi-Ziggler 9000. Thankfully, that didn’t happen, as Rey beat Dolph in a really good TV match. These two had fantastic chemistry a year or so ago in their IC title matches, and it was on display tonight. The only thing I didn’t like about this was it sure made Dolph and the U.S. title by association look far less important than the WWE Title because Dolph was eliminated in the first round. Then they went backstage to Vince and Johnny Acehole in a poorly-mic bit that was impossible to hear.

King confusing Rosa and Melina after the giant suplex botch was hilarious. And then the match just ended after a brawl and a Glam Slam, so…yeah, even at about two minutes, this was bad. Miz-Kofi was short, but fun. I also liked that Miz got as many clean wins in a one night tourney as he did during his entire WWE Title reign. The SILENT RAGE video established SILENT RAGE and the roots of SILENT RAGE! This was annoying. Rey-Truth was AWESOME. Vince’s stuff at the end was at least captivating, Cena's reference to TNA was...something, laughable is one word that could describe it, and HHH coming out to fire him WITHOUT the “YOOOOUUUU’RE FIRRREEEDDDD!” line was something else. They sure drew it out as long as possible - I was half-expecting my recording to stop because they were taking so damn long to finish this deal. This reminded me of ‘07 where they really were good at telling week-to-week stories, so I’m looking forward to next week’s show, even though tonight’s ending left me somewhat scratching my head because they seemingly set up a new champion next week in the finals, but it also seems like HHH may invalidate that, reinstate Punk, or maybe have a WWE Champion vs. WWE Champion match to create an undisputed WWE Champion at Summerslam.

Screens -

MR. FANTASTICO!

A-Ry - the man who makes Cena's STF look snug.

Quotes -
Cole - There is no WWE Title here following the events of last night.
King - A very unusual start to Raw tonight. I think it’ll be an unusual night.
Cole - What is the direction of WWE?
Crowd - CM Punk! CM PUNK!
Vince - You’ll never hear me say that man’s name! You don’t get it - you’re chanting the name of the biggest ingrate in WWE history! You’re chanting the name of a man who turned his back on everyone of you! HE WALKED OUT ON EACH OF YOU AND EVERYONE BACK IN THAT LOCKER ROOM! HE WALKED OUT ON ANYONE WHO’S EVER BEEN IN THIS RING! HE’S NOTHING MORE THAN AN EGOTISTICAL, SELFISH, TURD! AND THERE’S NO ONE MAN WHO’S BIGGER THAN WWE - NOT HOGAN, BRET, THE ROCK, AUSTIN. NO ONE MAN IS BIGGER THAN WWE! THIS IS A PROMOTIONAL JUGGERNAUT THAT CANNOT BE STOPPED, which is why here tonight, in this ring we will crown a NEW WWE CHAMPION! Tonight, 8 of Raw’s best will compete in an 8-man single elimination tournament! Who won’t be in this tournament is John Cena! I’LL BOO HIM TOO. I WARNED HIM THAT IF THAT MAN WALKED FROM THE ARENA WITH THE TITLE IN HAND, THAT THERE WOULD BE SEVERE CONSEQUENCES. After consulting with Mr. Laurintis, there will be severe consequences. TONIGHT WILL BE A NIGHT YOU WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER! Enjoy the show!
Cole - Cena believes he’s already been terminated! He said on twitter that he’s already been future endeavored!
Cole - This is PERHAPS THE BIGGEST RAW IN HISTORY!
Cole - Being WWE Champion is about power - SPEAKING OF POWER, THE WWE LIVE TOUR IS POWERED BY K-MART!
King - I don’t think Mr. McMahon will do anything that is detrimental to WWE. Maybe he’ll take Cena out of his match at WrestleMania against the Rock.
Cole - YOUR VOICES CAN BE HEARD BY TWEETING!
Cole - We aren’t ignoring the match by talking about Cena, because without the Cena situation, we wouldn’t have this match.
King - You know what I wish I could afford? ALBERTO GARAGE!
Cole - I thought you were gonna say a suit.
Cole - MR. SENOR DINERO EL BANCO!
Cole - WWE CHAMPION IS TRENDING WORLDWIDE ON TWITTER!
Alberto - MY NAME IS…. MR. MONEY IN THE BANK, ALBERTO DEL RIO! You people know that last night I won the money in the bank ladder match, which gives me the right to have a title shot anytime, anyplace. Of course, I’d rather cash it in last night, but that perro ran like a chicken! BUT OF COURSE, ALL OF THIS HAPPENED CUZ JOHN CENA COULDN’T DO THE JOB! Cena, I hope you get fired! BECAUSE WWE NEEDS A NEW LEADER! A NEW ONE, A BETTER ONE. A SUPERSTAR THAT EVERYONE CAN RESPECT! You know that it’s my destiny to be YOUR WWE Champion!
Ricardo - Money in the Bank…ALBERRRTTTTOOOO! DELLLLLL RRRRRRIIIIOOOOOO!
Cole - Every match in this tournament is, in essence, a title match!
Cole - Cena said on his twitter page, QUOTE - Oh, what Miami would’ve been…
Cole - Alberto needs to prevent Kofi from getting into that controlled frenzy zone as we call it.
Cole - Alberto will NOT be WWE Champion tonight!
Kofi - One down, two to go - BOOM!
Cole - Rey hugs and kisses the fans in the front row.
Cole - Ziggler has to get him in the ring because all matches follow championship rules - you can only win via pinfall or submission.
Cole - Vince blaming Cena for what has been called BLACK SUNDAY!
Cole - Thank goodness that lasted about 40 seconds.
King - I could watch a match like this for the rest of my life and then some!
Cole - MIZ DID IT!
King - Miz isn’t WWE Champion yet - don’t get premature!
Scott - If you win…
Truth - WHAT!? ANOTHER MATCH AWAY FROM WHAT’S RIGHTFULLY MINE! I DESERVE TO BE CHAMPION MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. THE CONSPIRACY KEPT ME FROM MONEY IN THE BANK, BUT IT WON’T KEEP ME AWAY FROM LITTLE REY REY! LITTLE JIMMIES, CLOSE YA EYES, CUZ THE WWE TITLE IS GONNA GET GOT!
Andy - This is where Silent Rage was born. Where Silent Rage was created.
Truth - AIN’T NO LITTLE JIMMY NOW!
Cole - Rey’s never been WWE Champion, neither’s been Truth.
Roberts - This match is for the WWE Championship…(Vince’s theme hits)
Vince - I’m sorry. I’m not going to deny you the chance to be WWF Champion, but we’re running out of time and I have to do something that’s almost as important as the WWE Title, so I’m going to postpone the finals until next week. I apologize - there’s something else to do! Don’t be selfish, Rey. This is bigger than you.
Crowd - CM PUNK! CM PUNK!
Vince - I said that there’s no one bigger than WWE. That includes Rey AND CENA. NO ONE MAN IS BIGGER THAN WWE. I CAN MAKE A NEW JOHN CENA!
Crowd - CM PUNK! CM PUNK! CM PUNK!
Vince - There’s no denying John’s contributions and the respect that so many have for him. I’d like to thank him for those contributions, but I also have to make difficult decisions. Sometimes, you have to set an example in business. It is not about my ego, or me having to win all the time. It’s about business. I do what’s right for each and every one of you from a business perspective. Sometimes, you’re blinded by the short-sightedness, sometimes I make long-term decisions, but in time, you’ll understand what I’m doing, and in time, you’ll thank me! As much as I would like NOT to have to do this…Let’s get it over with. (Cena’s theme hits) John…
Cena - Relax, relax, relax. I’m not gonna go on a profane tirade or show my genetalia, talk bad about your family or your company, and I know what you’re about to do and I’m okay with it. I’m not gonna go through the same things you made HBK do. HBK, the best performer EVER in this ring. YA MADE HIM BEND OVER BACKWARDS and all he accomplished, and for years, all they said was that he screwed Bret. No matter how many times he stopped the show and he carried that burden and he carried that with him his whole career. If I was in his shoes, would I wanna be the guy who screwed Bret, or CM Punk!? MY ANSWER WAS NO! I knew what was at stake - I made the match! The WWE Title, my career. It was more than Cena-Punk in a classic! It was about you! About you wanting to keep your universe in one piece! NO ONE CAN EMBARRASS VINCE AND YOU WANTED ME TO BE YOUR PATSY - NO WAY. Punk, that was a hell of a match last night son, thank you so much! YOU PUT ME IN A DECISION TO MAKE A DECISION - YOU DO BUSINESS ONE WAY, I DO IT ANOTHER. YOU WOULD HAVE MADE THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP MEANINGLESS! So here’s the skinny. I’ve had a great career here and he thinks he can make another one - YOU HAVE EIGHT MONTHS TO FIND ANOTHER OPPONENT FOR THE ROCK! I’m not an idiot Vince, you’ll find someone for Dwayne and WM will go off without a hitch. Meanwhile, I get to walk out of here with my pride and dignity. So before we get into the big walk, and big speech, I just need to tell ya something - I love the WWE and I truly believe I belong HERE! And man, if you’re about to tell me I’m not welcome here, that I have no other option. I love this… This is what I do. And if you make me do this, I’ll walk on someone else’s TV show and keep doing this, BROTHER! That is no threat, and here’s the skinny, people say I do a lot of things, but tonight, I proved that I will not kiss your ass!
Vince - YOU’RE NOT GONNA DENY ME THE SATISFACTION OF WHAT I’M ABOUT TO DO! As much as it hurts me personally, and business-wise, John….(HHH’s theme hits)
Cole - THAT’S TRIPLE H!
Vince - HERE HE IS, ONE OF THE ALL-TIME GREATS, MY SON IN LAW, TRIPLE H!
HHH - Vince, sorry, I got here as quickly as I could. There was a board of directors meeting this morning. Vince, last night, we flew from Chicago here, I received a call and flew to the office where there was a board of directors meeting this morning…
Fan - YOU’RE FIRED!
HHH - The board asked me to talk to you. They’re concerned about the current situation. Can we talk about this in the back? I tried to get here before you came out. The board is concerned about you.
Vince - I’m fine!
HHH - They understand you’ve built a global empire. Every bit of it is because of your vision. But at the same point in time, Vince, the board is… concerned about your extremely questionable, their term, decisions as of late. Vince… the board has asked me to tell you that they have filed an injunction against you with a vote of no confidence. And Vince, the family agrees. On top of that, the board has appointed someone to take over the day to day operations of WWE. And um… I can’t ugh…even believe I’m gonna say this, but it’s me!
Crowd - CENA! CENA! CENA!
HHH - Vince, you’re not gonna fire John Cena! You’re not gonna be doing anything else! Vince, you taught me from day one, from day one that nobody is bigger than this business… Nobody…And this is just business…I can’t believe I’m gonna say this, Vince, with all due respect, I’m here to inform you… THAT VINCE, YOU ARE RELIEVED OF YOUR DUTIES! (fans sing goodbye song) Please understand that I didn’t wanna do this - I’m trying to do what’s right for the business. Look at me. I love you, pop. And I’m sorry.
Crowd - THANK YOU VINCE! THANK YOU VINCE! THANK YOU VINCE!

[quote name='Trakan']If you would have told me that the WWE would kill all the momentum and excitement that was built up in ONE night.[/QUOTE]

6/11/06:
Yxxxe.jpg

6/13/06:
ecXEj.png

[quote name='Halo05']Just discovered that Stevie Ray and Booker T are actually brothers.

Mind blown.[/QUOTE]

I just hope they're still going after Hulk Hogan.

X-Pac claims that HHH told him Vince is really on his way out. I have to be honest, it makes sense that Vince's reaction tonight was genuine, because no man can really spontaneously burst into tears like that.

^I love that, but I still think this is the greatest finisher in wrestling history:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c5kgRjqrPY

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back