The First OTT of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='flowery']Sell me The Third Man on Blu.

~~~~

I picked up Traffic and waiting for them to release The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and The Royal Tenenbaums.[/QUOTE]

I sold it on amazon before christmas.

[quote name='munch']I sold it on amazon before christmas.[/QUOTE]

Nice. You probably got more money for it, so good for you.

This is potentially the kind of thing that will get me ridiculed for the rest of eternity, but...

I did not, until today, make that connection the Eminem has such a stage name because his name is Marshall Mathers, MM.

[quote name='Rocko']This is potentially the kind of thing that will get me ridiculed for the rest of eternity, but...

I did not, until today, make that connection the Eminem has such a stage name because his name is Marshall Mathers, MM.[/QUOTE]
You can't be serious...

Just finished up Sinners & Saints. Cool to see Johnny Strong in a leading role and in something after not acting for 10 years. Just put in Hanna...so far so good.

[quote name='darthbudge']So I'm gonna start working full-time on the night shift. I hope I can used to the schedule.[/QUOTE]
The shift differential I hope is worth it. Then again depends on what you're doing

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']The shift differential I hope is worth it. Then again depends on what you're doing[/QUOTE]

I am gonna be working as a Supply Tech/ER Tech in the ER. So basically helping out with whatever needs to be done.

EDIT: And no, the Shift Diff is pretty miniscule (like $0.50 an hour) but I really want to work in the ER and it's what they had available. I plan to switch to another shift once I can.

[quote name='darthbudge']I am gonna be working as a Supply Tech/ER Tech in the ER. So basically helping out with whatever needs to be done.

EDIT: And no, the Shift Diff is pretty miniscule (like $0.50 an hour) but I really want to work in the ER and it's what they had available. I plan to switch to another shift once I can.[/QUOTE]
Yeah that is pretty small. Even 7-11 employees, at least in this area, get a dollar extra an hour for overnight shift. But then again, in your field, the night shift may give you more and different experience than usual...

[quote name='lordwow']Not much choice unfortunately, gotta go where the jobs are.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you majored in, but science jobs are plentiful here in NC (around Raleigh/Durham) and I'm told houses are fairly cheap comparatively.

[quote name='Eviltude']I don't know what you majored in, but science jobs are plentiful here in NC (around Raleigh/Durham) and I'm told houses are fairly cheap comparatively.[/QUOTE]

Lordwow is a filmmaker who was working for a University in MA as some type of housing coordinator or something, I think.

[quote name='Eviltude']I don't know what you majored in, but science jobs are plentiful here in NC (around Raleigh/Durham) and I'm told houses are fairly cheap comparatively.[/QUOTE]

I work in higher education. It's not impossible to move obviously, but Boston is basically the best job market for it. And since my wife works in the field, outside of a few areas with several colleges, we'd both have to find jobs at the same college if it was a college in the middle of nowhere.

I'm certain it is, in our area, a 2/2 or a 3/1 starter home is $250k.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Paid $77,000 for mine. :D

But housing has to be cheap here to offset the cost of property taxes. Otherwise nobody would ever buy a house here.[/QUOTE]

Ya it's lower in MA than NY by a lot. It's also way higher in NH (where they have no sales tax). What gets a lot of people buying here is that rent prices are also very very high, so a mortgage is a lot cheaper.

Mass has some ridiculous shit that NY doesn't though. Like...uh...a car tax or something? I forget what it's called exactly. Medical insurance mandates. fuck that. As much as I hate NY, I'd choose it over MA any day.

[quote name='seanr1221']Our house was 271,000 for a 2/3.5.[/QUOTE]

And ours was in the 230s for 3 beds, 2..5 baths. It's not worth anywhere near that now, though.

Having laminate flooring put in on Monday though. Goodbye carpet with ground-in pop tarts.

I don't know how or why but I started getting magazines and coupons in the mail for mothers who are expecting. I also received a package from Similac with various baby formulas inside.

Since I have no use for this and would not want to throw away perfectly good baby food, do you guys know of any place where I can donate this box to someone who could put it to good use??

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Mass has some ridiculous shit that NY doesn't though. Like...uh...a car tax or something? I forget what it's called exactly. Medical insurance mandates. fuck that. As much as I hate NY, I'd choose it over MA any day.[/QUOTE]
If you're referring to a yearly car tax, here in VA, its called a personal property tax.

They keep saying they want to do away with it, but never have. And never will

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']If you're referring to a yearly car tax, here in VA, its called a personal property tax.

They keep saying they want to do away with it, but never have. And never will[/QUOTE]

They are trying to raise the tax on cigs to get rid of it. Personally I think that is a great idea. Nothing against cigarette smokers but taxing a luxury item makes more sense than taxing a necessity.

[quote name='gbpackers94']They are trying to raise the tax on cigs to get rid of it. Personally I think that is a great idea. Nothing against cigarette smokers but taxing a luxury item makes more sense than taxing a necessity.[/QUOTE]
Technically, a car is a luxury item too. And raising taxes on cigarettes is just gonna piss people off even further. VA will never get rid of the personal property tax, so I call bullshit on the notion that raising taxes on cigarettes will get rid of it. They'll just direct the funds elsewhere. Where they don't need it. This area of VA always gets shit on by the rest of the state for public funds anyhow

Speaking of bullshit "taxes", or in this case under the cute cuddly guise of a "surcharge"

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtvr-surcharge-gas,0,7819343.story

[quote name='From the article']RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR) - Virginia Delegate Joe May (R- Loudoun County) has proposed a bill to the 2012 Virginia General Assembly that would essentially have drivers pay a toll at the gas pump before pumping gas.
The proposed tax would be the first ever "pump toll" in the United States.
May proposed a 50-cent surcharge for every gasoline purchase. An additional 50-cents would be added for every sale over 35 gallons. [CLICK HERE: Read HB802]

May said the money would ensure transportation projects are not funded through the general fund, as Governor Bob McDonnell proposed. He feared using money from the fund could take money away from public education. A claim the Governor's communication director Tucker Martin said is not true.

May said the Governor's plan of adding a half percent sales tax would only generate 10% of the money needed to fix Virginia's roads.

"This Republican and so do my Democrat friends all use our public roads and they badly need help," May said.

Michael O'Connor with the Virginia Petroleum, Convenience and Grocery Association doesn't see the need for the added gas tax.

He said while Virginia's gas tax rate has remained unchanged at 17.5% since 1987, the amount of money the state has collected in tax revenues from the tax is up 95.5%.

"What I say to that is the number of lane miles that have to be maintained have gone up many times more than the amount the revenues have gone up," May said.
[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Seriously?! Joe May can go DIAF

[quote name='Temporaryscars']VA has it too!? Ridiculous! What the fuck is wrong with people?[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better, West Virginia has it too. And if you car is a gift, then the tax you pay is based off the Kelly Blue Book value (or some equivalent).

[quote name='JStryke']If it makes you feel better, West Virginia has it too. And if you car is a gift, then the tax you pay is based off the Kelly Blue Book value (or some equivalent).[/QUOTE]
Same here. The way around that is you "purchase" the car for $1

I believe you but I don't understand how a car is a luxury item. I know that if my family didn't have a car we wouldn't be able to survive.

I hate how Joe Paterno's death is a big news story. If the sex abuse thing never happened, he would have gotten mention and a 30 minute documentary instead of 3 hours of continuous coverage on every sports channel.

Maybe where you live but here in PA .. especially this area .. Paterno was a big deal. A lot of people around here went to Penn State and if they didn't they are probably a big time Penn State fan anyway. Paterno was an incredibly beloved person. Not to mention the fact that he's kind of a major figure to college sports nationwide. How many college coaches could you name of any college team for any sport? Paterno is probably one of the few that lay people could come up with.

Pfft. I am with Eviltude. Famous people who are beloved by everyone die fairly often and they usually get 30min of reflection and a documentary. This is truly because of the rape case.

Also, fuck him. You can donate 10 billion you whoever you want but my circle of forgiveness does not include voluntarily letting children get abused. Hear about kids being raped? Go to the REAL police INSTANTLY no umms, buts, maybes, or uhhh I thought they would handle it. Then he pretended that he didnt know that child molesters existed. Seriously?

I don't think he knew that much about the scandal, but he could have handled it differently. I still think it's getting more coverage because of the whole thing, even though he was sort of a big deal before.

I'm with Mak. I think you guys must not be big college football fans, because Joe Paterno is a football icon who wasn't just beloved by PSU fans, but really by almost everyone. I think he also represents one of (if not the last of) the iconic old-school dynasty coaches in college football.

I know about college football but unlike Joe I dont think the program is more important than the safety of children. All that stuff goes out the window when children are being abused....screw your titles, screw your program, screw college football, screw you millions in donations.

If he was so powerful he could have used it to really look into the case. You hear that a man that you see for almost 10 years and that you KNOW is still around campus with kids might be raping them and you never thought to follow up? Oh its because you didnt think that child molesters existed in this world. Talk about a cop out. Your 85 years old you want me to believe that you never heard of child abusers?

I guess I dont believe in bare minimum when it comes to raping kids, all you had to do is call the real police, tell them exactly what the guy told you and then when you seem him a 50 more times, follow up. You dont even have to leave a name.

Does it undo all of the good he has done? No it does but....it comes very close in my eyes.

Paterno's death would have been a big deal if the scandal hadn't happened, especially because he would have still been coaching (and if he really was planning to retire by any chance, he'd be very freshly retired). He's a huge deal and that would definitely warrant a 3 hour block on ESPN2 or whatever.

ESPN is basically E! for guys. Of course they are going to harp on this story. They are an entertainment driven company that focuses solely on big sports stories.

[quote name='Cage017']I don't know how or why but I started getting magazines and coupons in the mail for mothers who are expecting. I also received a package from Similac with various baby formulas inside.

Since I have no use for this and would not want to throw away perfectly good baby food, do you guys know of any place where I can donate this box to someone who could put it to good use??[/QUOTE]

You can list it on Craigslit or Freecycle. Places like the foodbank or Catholic Social Services will take it as well.

Or just throw it away. All babies should be breastfed.

Wife is watching CNN Headline News. Paterno is all over there too. (Although it's more scandal recap. Is ESPN actually reflecting on the man's career, sports wise?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back