2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your friend told you a lie

My friend who is the store leader told me that they want to keep it under raps

But he told me that it is official. Elite Pro is ending. Mostly Because it lost GameStop money

I’m in GA
Yeah I actually just learned about it but the more I have read the more I’m sure he is trying to keep it “under wraps” as you said. Sad to see it go but a little surprised they didn’t just take it down like B.B. did with GCU.

Also would it be easier to renew with points on mobile or in store?

This may be overly optimistic, but...

Part of me wonders if the 2 tiered program was just too confusing for the average GS customer. Most of the time when I've been in my local store the guys would only try to sell the regular Pro memberships to other customers, and even then they often didn't seem to understand the benefits. Heck, I overheard a customer asking the old "can I play current gen games on a last gen system?" question just a week or two ago. The average joe off the street is NOT that bright...

So once the dust settles we MAY end up seeing a boost in benefits for the standard membership, or at least a rise in trade-in values to adjust for it.
It absolutely confused a lot of people. Gamestop and EB Games both have had an annual $15 a year membership with Pro/Edge for years and people got used to that. They then half-ass introduced Elite Pro and in the process made the Pro card practically worthless in comparison, but continued to promote things like 70% extra with the caveat that the max bonus was for Elite Pro Members only. I always thought it made more sense to phase out the Pro Membership. Hopefully, this means the Pro Membership will see an increase in value, I would personally be happy to just keep the extra 20% trade-in credit.

I would not be surprised if GS just clumps Elite/Pro together when they offer future promotions since Elite won't technically exist anymore (Trade bonus 70% for both Elite and Pro).

I would not be surprised if GS just clumps Elite/Pro together when they offer future promotions since Elite won't technically exist anymore (Trade bonus 70% for both Elite and Pro).
I am leaning more towards them just not offering 70% in the future. I am half tempted to stop in and re-up my Elite Pro card, but it is good until March currently so I may just see what happens. GCU is up in November so I need to start getting used to a future where I buy fewer video games (at least at discounted prices).

Has anymore tried to sign up for a new membership and not renew today? Theu will let you sogn up for a new acct today still roght?

I couldn't resist the urge, so I gambled and re-upped til 10/2025 last night...I did the same with psplus cards years ago at $30 per year for like 7 years worth and that worked out alright lol

I wish I hadn't used most of my points on eshop...tax on the membership when paying with trade credit is lame...

I couldn't resist the urge, so I gambled and re-upped til 10/2025 last night...I did the same with psplus cards years ago at $30 per year for like 7 years worth and that worked out alright lol

I wish I hadn't used most of my points on eshop...tax on the membership when paying with trade credit is lame...
I can only imagine come 10/2025 whatever remains of Gamestop will be celebrating as their last customer finally lapses out of the elite program lol. Didn't think it'd last that long, but damn you're set lol

Yea... I'm in for several more years, but I can't help but wonder if GameStop will even be around in 4 or 5+ years. If next gen consoles make digital purchases more attractive to gamers somehow, or if they cut out physical entirely, we could see a rapid downward spiral for GS.  Same goes for a rise in the availability of affordable high-end PC machines.

I went in and renewed it for a year with my points about thirty minutes ago. So I'll be good until near the end of next year. 

I renewed on Sunday when the rumor went around. Good till Sept 19, just got my buy 2 get 1 coupon. It expires in 9/30, will this one work on multiple sets? 

Added a year to my membership covered with points. Rep, whose tag said he was the store leader, was very friendly. Though he seem uncertain about the info as well, knows the same as we know (info from the reddit thread). I also traded in and purchase a game, which he performed as a seperate transaction from the renewal. He said if I could leave feedback using the code from the trade/purchase receipt. I did so immediately.

I was shut down as well today. I guess my spending at GameStop will go drastically down after my elite pro expires.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Yup, denied renewals at 3 stores in FL today. Pretty stupid but at least I renewed one card before this. Might be useful having a normal pro too, if only for online purchases I guess

I was lazy yesterday evening when I read this and held out till today, I hope it's not too late for my GS, I have a Elite Pro membership coupon to burn, might get a couple additional years as well if I can.

wait, so the 30k point i spend last night on elite renew is worthless?
I don't think that's what they're saying. I think they're indicating that they tried to renew in store, no coupon and they couldn't. Earlier posts mention they couldn't do it via the tablet (i.e. claiming a PUR coupon then applying it).

I guess I'll see shortly. Will reply back if last night's coupon claim via mobile will work today (I'm in Milpitas).

I don't think that's what they're saying. I think they're indicating that they tried to renew in store, no coupon and they couldn't. Earlier posts mention they couldn't do it via the tablet (i.e. claiming a PUR coupon then applying it).

I guess I'll see shortly. Will reply back if last night's coupon claim via mobile will work today (I'm in Milpitas).
I think the issue is that associates at some stores have been instructed by their DMs to not renew Elite, even though they technically can.

I’m on vacation away from my home store and hit the one in Gilford NH. Employee would only do one year and said the system wouldn’t let him do more but he didn’t try. Whatever, I doubt they will keep it going after one year.

I do think some of the Elite benefits will inevitably role into the Pro Membership. I could also see them increasing the price of Pro a bit. If I can still get the extra 20% trade-in credit with Pro, then I will be happy otherwise my new game purchases will primarily be at Amazon and Target. 

I stopped by the GameStop across the street from my work and renewed. He scanned by PUR rewards coupon for it without reading what it was for and proceeded to tell me that the Elite membership was going away and if I wanted to renew. I told him, I just did. Renewal success!

New email.

The PowerUp Rewards Elite Pro membership level is retiring as of 8/1/18. This means that your Elite Pro membership will not be available for renewal after your current membership period. In the meantime, you will retain your Elite Pro benefits through your membership period.

After your Elite Pro membership expires, we welcome you to renew as a PowerUp Rewards Pro in stores.

Pro memberships include the following program benefits:

· 20 points for every dollar spent
· 10% off pre-owned games and accessories
· 10% extra trade credit on games, accessories, and tech
· Buy 2 get 1 free pre-owned games welcome offer
· Exclusive Pro Day sales with over $4,000 in savings annually
· 12 issues of Game Informer magazine
· Exclusive offers

To access your account and membership date, please visit www.PowerUpRewards.com

Thank you for being among the Elite, and for continuing to be part of the PowerUp Rewards team.

I just got my e-mail too. At least they have the decency to formally inform us, unlike Best Buy.
Sounds like GS. Decent and good people.

With email out, let’s get ready for the posts of how scummy they are. And how people won’t shop there again (like Best Buy GCU was stopped)

Just called my local store (SoCal) and the manager knew who I was by the caller ID.

Me:”I just got the email that I can no longer renew Elite starting tomorrow. If I came in today can I still renew?”

Manager: “Technically you can still renew, but we’re not supposed to encourage it. Like we won’t offer it to anyone. But if you come in, yeah we can still do it today.”

Obviously, ymmv based on the store manager. This guy is pretty nice. Last time we even joked about the good old days when the b2g1 coupon used to work in multiples.

tl;dr So there’s still a chance for those that want to renew today.

I had success renewing Elite Pro at my local store in central Minnesota. The employee was very cool with it. Right after I finished my transaction, another guy came in looking to renew his membership and the clerk said, “you must have gotten the email about the Elite Pro too”.

YMMV - seems to depend upon who is working behind the counter.

Got soft-denied at a South Florida GS as well. Said they weren't sure but didn't think they were supposed to let us renew. I probably could have pushed the associate to go ahead and do it for me, but honestly I have it till Dec 2019 and I'm not even sure if I want it for longer than that. I'm guessing they will roll out some new program in the next year or two anyway. 

Used the app and got my coupon with my points. Ran over to the closest store, scanned the coupon and renewed with zero issues.

I got in at opening in Texas. He let me renew, mentioning that they'd had several customers do so. 

As stated above, it definitely seems to be on a store-by-store basis as to how strictly they want to obey that email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back