2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
CVS has a deal this week where you can get $10 in Extrabucks Rewards by buying $50 in Domino's/GameStop combo gift cards. It shows a picture of a pack with a $25 Domino's and a $25 GameStop card. Before anyone asks, Extrabucks cannot be used to buy other store or restaurant gift cards or prepaid debit cards, but you can use them to buy items at CVS other than cigarettes, alcohol, and lottery tickets, etc. Good for anyone who missed last week's Dollar General deal. Also pictured in the ad are Dunkin Donuts and The Children's Place gift cards. Don't know if you can mix and match. Offer limit of one per household with CVS card. Ends 11/17.

mj01hs.jpg

The PS4 Slim 1tb TIV is $175 + $25 extra credit = $200 TIV

They will have the Spiderman PS4 Slim 1tb for $199 + tax on BF (all other retailers are offering this bundle), so you basically get the Spiderman game for free.

Saw an ad on the front door of a GameStop stating that they'll open at 3 PM Thanksgiving day. I don't remember them opening up so early the previous years.

Saw an ad on the front door of a GameStop stating that they'll open at 3 PM Thanksgiving day. I don't remember them opening up so early the previous years.
Yikes. Well, GS has to be thinking its days are numbered at this point so have to push those sales. It's unfortunate. I do think stores like GS are good for gamers overall, but with the steady and inevitable demise of physical media, the writing's on the wall.

mj01hs.jpg

They will have the Spiderman PS4 Slim 1tb for $199 + tax on BF (all other retailers are offering this bundle), so you basically get the Spiderman game for free.
I've been trying to sell my Xbox One S locally, but getting nothing but lowball offers; some guy even offering his car, lol. I might just trade it in to GameStop if I can get $200 ($175 + $25).

mj01hs.jpg

Nice. The original is $200 TIV, too. Upgrade to the slim, get an extra 500GB and spiderman free. Though you lose optical audio. Decisions decisions...

$200 total trade credit for an Xbox One S or PS4 original is a great offer, especially with no requirements to purchase another system.  I would jump on it if I had either in my collection. 

Is GameStop like in massive debt? Is there any real evidence to the narrative that their days are numbered?

They’ve pivoted the business many times before I don’t see why they can’t continue to do so. From 90s to 2000s to now with collectibles and toys.

Games wont be 100% digital even for a few generations because low income families who play games need places like GS to buy used, cheaper out of print games, gifts, and to sell their own games in an accessible if flawed way.

If anything I can see GS needing to have a good response to apps like offerup, let go, etc to keep trades going well

But is there any real evidence to say they will go out of business anyone soon? Ppl push this narrative just because they think it may happen but most retailer closures are due to huge debt.

Like Hollywood which has like $100M debt for years, eventually making it close

Astro Bot for only $20. I just bought from Best Buy last week with $10 certs and 10% off at Best Buy for $26. Not sure if I should bother returning and then buying from GameStop next week. I suppose I can always wait and see if I can get a copy at GameStop first and then return the Best Buy copy after.

Good price on controllers, only says it omits copper so I'm hoping to get blueberry and orange. I've managed to do most of my shopping early now. Just gotta cop starlink somewhere and mostly done.

Those deals online too?

Some decent prices. Wonder when the actual bf ad will leak/release. Anyone new to PS4, or who hasn’t played them yet, $35 for 5 Uncharted games is an absolute steal! Some of the best games I’ve played this gen and last.

Good price on controllers, only says it omits copper so I'm hoping to get blueberry and orange. I've managed to do most of my shopping early now. Just gotta cop starlink somewhere and mostly done.

Those deals online too?
Usually both online and in-stores, but the fine print did mention that some offers may not be available on their website.

Someone purchasing a PS4 for the first time this holiday can get the console with Spider-Man, God of War, and HZDCE for $240. That is nuts.

Someone purchasing a PS4 for the first time this holiday can get the console with Spider-Man, God of War, and HZDCE for $240. That is nuts.
GOW will be cheaper elsewhere, but many discounted triple-A exclusives on PS4 this time around, for sure.

Just a bit disappointed that the advertised PS4 slim bundle (1TB with Spider-man) for $199.99 is relatively similar to last year's BF promo (1TB w/ $50 GC) at the same $200 price point. Not much traction after a year. I will not be surprised if there won't be a PS4 Pro sale at all in the final GS BF ad.

Holy crap! That Gamestop early Black Friday ad has some great deals! Definitely going to pick up a complete edition of HZD and Firewall for $9.99 each. 

Nice. The original is $200 TIV, too. Upgrade to the slim, get an extra 500GB and spiderman free. Though you lose optical audio. Decisions decisions...
This is crazy tempting... Never traded a system into GS before - does it take long? And I wonder how limited the Spidey system will be?

This is crazy tempting... Never traded a system into GS before - does it take long? And I wonder how limited the Spidey system will be?
I suggest trading in your old system now and put the credit on a card. If your system is already updated to the latest patch, the transaction should not take longer than 10-15mins. GS employees are suppose to hook it up, power it up, run quick diagnostic, and test controllers. Afterwards, you can easily go to any GameStop store to hunt down the PS4 Spidey bundle, if necessary. (I doubt they will be in short supply when the sale kicks off on the 18th. Good luck!)

is there any way to add pro to your account online anymore? or do you have to do it in store now?
I tried to do it last week and there wasn't a way to add it to the cart without adding a game and then taking the game out before checkout. Once I took the game out it wouldn't let me check out. I called CS and they said in-sore only. Not sure that's accurate since they mostly seem to not know what they're talking about but I went in since I needed to anyway.

I am ready to jump on the PS4 train. I hope they have ample quantity of the slim spiderman bundle on Sunday. I will be there at opening time if need be to grab some $9.99 goodness too. Time to burn through my trade credit

Thoughts on whether the pro is worth getting at double the BF price of the slim?

I had made my decision to get the pro since I have no PS4 at all & I managed to get the RDR2 bundle for about $337 with coupons & discounts but that's still significantly more than the BF slim bundle. It's not looking good for a Pro deal this holiday season so I don't think I'll get it for cheaper anytime soon. It's just killing me how much more expensive it is for not that much more tech. I know the differences and it will be something I keep for a long time regardless of when next gen comes out. Just not sure I should do it. Feels like maybe pro will finally drop in the new year?

I think they are losing money right now, aren't they? "In fiscal 2017, GameStop reported a net loss of $105.9 million." And they have been looking for a buyer. The core model they run on has always been buying and reselling used games, and that model is slowly declining. They won't close up shop tomorrow, but they are definitely on the 'If we don't change, we'll go out business' phase.
They are definitely losing money, but like you said they aren't quite going out of business yet but they see the writing on the wall and are looking for new ways to turn the business around including finding someone to buy them out.

Gamestop's biggest asset is that they have become synonymous with video games in North America just like Toys 'R' Us in the toys industry.

I don't see Gamestop completely going away as a brand, but I don't think we have much longer before consoles stop including physical media drives.

Damn. I knew that I should have cashed out $160 to get $200 in GameStop gift cards at Dollar General over the weekend. But at least I can get the Minecraft Xbox One S bundle somewhere other than Walmart for $199 and get rewards points for the purchase.

Is GameStop like in massive debt? Is there any real evidence to the narrative that their days are numbered?

They’ve pivoted the business many times before I don’t see why they can’t continue to do so. From 90s to 2000s to now with collectibles and toys.

Games wont be 100% digital even for a few generations because low income families who play games need places like GS to buy used, cheaper out of print games, gifts, and to sell their own games in an accessible if flawed way.

If anything I can see GS needing to have a good response to apps like offerup, let go, etc to keep trades going well

But is there any real evidence to say they will go out of business anyone soon? Ppl push this narrative just because they think it may happen but most retailer closures are due to huge debt.

Hasn't Think Geek been unsuccessful? I don't see a lot of people wearing their products.

I am ready to jump on the PS4 train. I hope they have ample quantity of the slim spiderman bundle on Sunday. I will be there at opening time if need be to grab some $9.99 goodness too. Time to burn through my trade credit
It's a pretty great selection for those just buying a PS4 slim. Curious that TLOU is $15 while HZD, LL, & Uncharted collection are $10.

I can confirm that you get $200 TIV for the PS4 Slim 1tb. Just got back from trading in and it took about 15 minutes. They hooked up my controller to a computer that test controllers. It was on a hdtv and it showed the program testing every single button on the controller. I have never seen this before.

I can confirm that you get $200 TIV for the PS4 Slim 1tb. Just got back from trading in and it took about 15 minutes. They hooked up my controller to a computer that test controllers. It was on a hdtv and it showed the program testing every single button on the controller. I have never seen this before.

Not sure if they will offer a gift card with the PS4 Spidey bundle (like they did last year, to compete with other stores that offered the same BF bundle), but I plan on buying it on Sunday and not open it. You have 30 days to do a return rebuy if they offer a gift card or extra game after this sale.

pull up Gamestop's stock and take a look at it over the last ~6 years -you know, during one of the largest bull runs in history. Now compare it with almost any other stock. GS literally did the opposite. Gamestop will go the way of the dinosaurs soon enough.

pull up Gamestop's stock and take a look at it over the last ~6 years -you know, during one of the largest bull runs in history. Now compare it with almost any other stock. GS literally did the opposite. Gamestop will go the way of the dinosaurs soon enough.
Oh no! Where will I buy gutted games with random smudges and the associate's fingerprints on the discs?

I think they are losing money right now, aren't they? "In fiscal 2017, GameStop reported a net loss of $105.9 million." And they have been looking for a buyer. The core model they run on has always been buying and reselling used games, and that model is slowly declining. They won't close up shop tomorrow, but they are definitely on the 'If we don't change, we'll go out business' phase.
Unless I'm mistaken, GameStop doesn't have any or has very little debt. That's why I always laugh when people say they're dying. They're going to be around for at least the next two decades. It's more likely that the average CAG here would lose interest in video games or has less time for them than GS going bankrupt.

That bit about them looking for a buyer caused a minor stir, but I'm not sure how true it was. I'm sure they would have agreed to a deal with very favorable terms for them, but I think they were mostly just try to raise their stock price because it's historically low at the moment.

Not sure if they will offer a gift card with the PS4 Spidey bundle (like they did last year, to compete with other stores that offered the same BF bundle), but I plan on buying it on Sunday and not open it. You have 30 days to do a return rebuy if they offer a gift card or extra game after this sale.
I just traded in my Xbox One S 500gb for $200 in trade credit. No more dealing with lowball offers on Facebook, OfferUp, etc.

Based on the Black Friday ad leak, if someone wanted a 1TB Xbox One S and had a 500GB now and didn't mind being without for a week, you can do an even swap, assuming you are not charged tax when using trade credit at your location.

Probably going to trade in my OG 500 gb PS4 on Friday then. I can go without a system for 2ish days. Thanks for the update on the process.

I would have to bring the system, a controller, power cord, and hdmi cord, right?

Hasn't Think Geek been unsuccessful? I don't see a lot of people wearing their products.
I wouldn't say Think Geek has been unsuccessful. They have been around for a long time now and just within the last couple of years they were purchased by Gamestop and started opening up B&M stores. Gamestop has typically made pretty good purchases when it comes to other brands and companies and Think Geek is no different especially with how they have recently started focusing more and more on collectibles.

I still say the best thing Gamestop could do is start to better leverage the buying and selling of retro games. They could absolutely convert some of the Gamestop stores into retro stores with how many Gamestops are practically next door to each other.

Probably going to trade in my OG 500 gb PS4 on Friday then. I can go without a system for 2ish days. Thanks for the update on the process.

I would have to bring the system, a controller, power cord, and hdmi cord, right?
You'll also need the controller charging cable.

I still say the best thing Gamestop could do is start to better leverage the buying and selling of retro games. They could absolutely convert some of the Gamestop stores into retro stores with how many Gamestops are practically next door to each other.
Yup I think this is how they will try to stay afloat once the all digital era finally hits. I wouldnt mind it either, would probably shop there regularly.

One thing Gamestop's retro section did was normalize a lot of 'common' games' prices. Prices on games that are plentiful and not at all rare have started to drop. KOTOR was going for $20+ before GS's retro section. Now its 5 bucks. Donkey kong Country 2 was a $30 game and now you can grab it for about 10 bucks on their site.

I think them opening retro stores would further drop prices on games that should not be expensive at all. (looking at you smash bros melee...)

Yup I think this is how they will try to stay afloat once the all digital era finally hits. I wouldnt mind it either, would probably shop there regularly.

One thing Gamestop's retro section did was normalize a lot of 'common' games' prices. Prices on games that are plentiful and not at all rare have started to drop. KOTOR was going for $20+ before GS's retro section. Now its 5 bucks. Donkey kong Country 2 was a $30 game and now you can grab it for about 10 bucks on their site.

I think them opening retro stores would further drop prices on games that should not be expensive at all. (looking at you smash bros melee...)
I agree with this. I don't think we will see a digital-only era for at least another console generation though. Gamestop is in a unique position to somewhat control the pricing of retro games in North America. Games that are legit rare like Snatcher or Little Samson would more than likely remain around the same prices they always have, but stuff like Contra and Super Smash Bros. should come back down closer to reality in terms of pricing. Gamestop would need to do a better job at training employees on how to test and spot repro carts though. They could also justify putting a ton of those damn collectibles into a Retro Stop store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back