2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is tied to your account, so there is a chance that you and the other person get your accounts banned. That's what other CAGs have reported.
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunate to see a good coupon go to waste. It just came at the wrong time. Lots of holiday spending going on and I need to focus on gifts for others rather than myself. I'm sure there will be a next time.

I keep wondering if a ban is automatic or happens if someone reports their coupon being used by another account. Has anyone just been auto banned after using another account's coupons?
I've used a few certs and coupons (20% birthday that I can remember off the top of my head) from my account on purchases using my wife's account (It's really my 2nd account just under her name). My elite expired in August and her's doesn't expire until next month so I've pretty much been using them for 4 months now and I have not been banned. I figure if I was going to be banned for using them it would have happened by now.

I've used a few certs and coupons (20% birthday that I can remember off the top of my head) from my account on purchases using my wife's account (It's really my 2nd account just under her name). My elite expired in August and her's doesn't expire until next month so I've pretty much been using them for 4 months now and I have not been banned. I figure if I was going to be banned for using them it would have happened by now.
Do both accounts have the same address? If so, they have probably been linked.

I'm not sure how one would check. Their system will automatically link accounts that have the same ID, address, etc. It is mainly so that people don't create new accounts to get around the trade limits. I'm not sure if that matters on coupons being shared, but I would hesitate to say your case is proof that these coupons can be shared.

I leave a good chunk, some I use on gift cards like Uber, Fandango, or others if it's something that I am going to buy with my own cash anyways. But I also buy games. And I use my points on games too. I think one of the reason I don't get hassled too much is because the people who know me see me actually spending credit on games rather than trying to cash out of the gamestop ecosystem.

There are measures, such as limits you can run into and JD's reporting you if you make it massively obvious what you are doing. As for going hog wild...see "flipaggeddon" from the summer before last to see what happens when hog wild is the norm.
Thanks. I have nothing to trade in so I would have to spend cash to get into the flipping game. That's why I was wondering. It's not worth it to me to leave real money with them unless you're saving up for something anyway. For people who have existing credit or stuff they genuinely want to get rid of, then I can see it's totally worth it.

I'm just now trying to submit the rebate for the xbox 360. I bought it in store on 11/23/18, so I shouldn't have problems with the date being correct; however, when I input the offer number on gamestoprebates.com I get a message:
No offers found. Please check your information and try again.
anybody experience this? what's the best way to fix it?

Edit: nevermind! Just went ahead and clicked the button that said I don't have the offer code and it looked it up for me. People on SD recommend doing this.

Thanks. I have nothing to trade in so I would have to spend cash to get into the flipping game. That's why I was wondering. It's not worth it to me to leave real money with them unless you're saving up for something anyway. For people who have existing credit or stuff they genuinely want to get rid of, then I can see it's totally worth it.
If done correctly, then after the initial investment (trade or purchase) you should never be using “real money” or thinking about it as “real money”.

I’m not a pro like some here since the gamestop shuffle is more of a hobby for me, but in a couple years time I went from trading some games (mine and redbox) and an og ps4 (let’s say $500 investment) to accumulating thousands of dollars in gamestop funny money.

This is responsible for my current credit warchest sitting around $1,000, a spidey ps4 pro, a mario odyssey switch, 2 years of netflix prepaid, elite membership til 2025, etc

Imo, it was totally worth my initial investment and the time to prep and travel store to store.

If done correctly, then after the initial investment (trade or purchase) you should never be using “real money” or thinking about it as “real money”.
I’m not a pro like some here since the gamestop shuffle is more of a hobby for me, but in a couple years time I went from trading some games (mine and redbox) and an og ps4 (let’s say $500 investment) to accumulating thousands of dollars in gamestop funny money.
This is responsible for my current credit warchest sitting around $1,000, a spidey ps4 pro, a mario odyssey switch, 2 years of netflix prepaid, elite membership til 2025, etc
Imo, it was totally worth my initial investment and the time to prep and travel store to store.
They won't be around in 2025 lol

They won't be around in 2025 lol
Do you have a time machine or something?

In all seriousness. Gamestop isn't doing great right now, but I don't see the company going away as the brand alone is extremely valuable. I could see them being bought out and restructured for sure though.

In all seriousness. Gamestop isn't doing great right now, but I don't see the company going away as the brand alone is extremely valuable. I could see them being bought out and restructured for sure though.
They are not going away but they seriously need to lower their footprint. We live in a county with 500,000 people and we have 11 GameStops. None of them do over 1 million a year. Next county over 250k people, two GameStops one does 3 million a year. They have the same problem mattress firm had. Not that I’m complaining since it makes flipping easier but they have stores that are cannibalizing each other. For a niche product that can’t really survive doing that. I bet you if RadioShack or blockbuster would’ve had one store per town instead of one on every corner they would still be around.

There simply is no way GameStop will around in 2025. Physical games will barely be around in 2025. At that point, people will be nostalgic about being able to download and "own" their digital games, instead of just having streaming licenses.

Where are valuable brands like: Blockbuster, Toys R Us, RadioShack, Circuit City, Sam Goody, etc?

The writing is on the wall. I hope the employees get out while they can. I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but it's just the reality of how things for GameStop are going. They will be bought out, stripped down, squeezed dry, and buried.

There simply is no way GameStop will around in 2025. Physical games will barely be around in 2025. At that point, people will be nostalgic about being able to download and "own" their digital games, instead of just having streaming licenses.
Where are valuable brands like: Blockbuster, Toys R Us, RadioShack, Circuit City, Sam Goody, etc?

The writing is on the wall. I hope the employees get out while they can. I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but it's just the reality of how things for GameStop are going. They will be bought out, stripped down, squeezed dry, and buried.
500 million down the drain. Yeah I don't see them surviving.

Digital books killed Barnes and noble
Streaming would kill Sirius radio and vinyl sales
Both of the are doing well just smaller scale.

Streaming video games is still not an option in the vast majority of the county. I doubt the infrastructure of the Internet will be that much better in rural areas in 2025.

Let’s also not forget Best Buy was trading for $12 a share 2012 and is now 15% of all electronics sold in America and trading for $60 a share.
I am not saying GameStop doesn’t need changes but doom and gloom here is overstated.

According to a couple managers I've talked to, elite is going away a year from when they ended it and the remaining time will be refunded. Makes sense if true. I doubt they're going to let these go on for years but we will see.

On another note, just got my smash limited edition and the box looks like Ness used it for home run practice. How difficult is it to get something like this replaced? I've thankfully never had this issue before.

On another note, just got my smash limited edition and the box looks like Ness used it for home run practice. How difficult is it to get something like this replaced? I've thankfully never had this issue before.
I would image pretty hard as these are out of stock nearly everywhere. When it comes to problems like that I usually see people just get refunds as the only possible action.

They are not going away but they seriously need to lower their footprint. We live in a county with 500,000 people and we have 11 GameStops. None of them do over 1 million a year. Next county over 250k people, two GameStops one does 3 million a year. They have the same problem mattress firm had. Not that I’m complaining since it makes flipping easier but they have stores that are cannibalizing each other. For a niche product that can’t really survive doing that. I bet you if RadioShack or blockbuster would’ve had one store per town instead of one on every corner they would still be around.
This is 100% the biggest problem for them. I worked for Gamestop prior to and after the merger/buyout of EB Games. After the merged with EB they tried to keep the brands separate, likely due to EB and Gamestop stores typically being very close in proximity to each other. After about a year or so they started to rebrand the EB stores to Gamestops or the short-lived Movie Stop concept. This is the main reason why you see so many Gamestops so close to one another. A lot of the locations have lengthy leases as well.

I've proposed while working for Gamestop and still think it's a great idea to take some of these stores and convert them into Retro Gamestops and focus on retro games and collectibles. Retro games are pure profit for Gamestop selling them as used. They just need to bring in some people to train employees on how to properly test and clean up these older cart based games as well as be able to spot a repro.

That will never happen at this point, but I do see them closing a number of stores within the next year due to leases coming up and to cut back on expenses.

from Wario, the Overwatch Nerf guns are all half off at gamestop.com, pretty good deal if you were thinking about getting them

The writing is on the wall. I hope the employees get out while they can
Lol get out while they can. Cuz, you know, once they shut down for business those employees will be stuck there.

But anyway, its not like there arent more $7 an hour jobs out there.

I don't know if Elite Pro or Gamestop will be around come 2025, but I figured it would be worth the gamble since everything is "POS or gtfo" and it might remain in the system for quite sometime. If I had been given any heads up, I would have done the same with GCU.

The real concern for me would be closing a bunch of stores since I'm a boom or bust gamestop shuffler...less stores in close proximity might significantly alter the time required for efficient booming.

For example, I could have covered twice as much ground last Saturday if "prestige day" was at every Gamestop instead of two stores 40 minutes away. Instead of two hundred dollars in extra credit, it would have been $400-$600.

Not the end of the world, but still it's kinda lame. The idea of "prestige" is silly to me from a business perspective since it makes buying or trading games from the other Gamestops a dumb decision on that day.

The 2025 gamble also makes sense since I spent Gamestop funny money anyways. 

Lol get out while they can. Cuz, you know, once they shut down for business those employees will be stuck there.

But anyway, its not like there arent more $7 an hour jobs out there.
Most Gamestop employees are trying to get out of there to go make some real money somewhere else. I was an Assistant Manager at Gamestop when I was in high school and worked there for a few years after and got paid like $15 an hour as the ASM.

Of course, this was well over a decade ago now, but I am sure they aren't paying much better now.

Amazon is looking to expand their footprint with B&M stores and it's been rumored for a while that they are interested in a Target buyout, I could see them also buying Gamestop.

Apparently, there was an employee appreciation day 50% trade bump on Saturday that stacked with PUR and prestige day... reminds me of a kinder time when us plebes would get them bumps.

Apparently, there was an employee appreciation day 50% trade bump on Saturday that stacked with PUR and prestige day... reminds me of a kinder time when us plebes would get them bumps.
Lmao that is insane with all the bumps. If it stacked with the switch 25% they'd be giving over $61 for those top tier games. B2G1+employee discount...they've fired employees over deals like that. Sad day when even a simple % extra is reserved for employees.

You’ll have to excuse me since I know this is asked once a month but I couldn’t find a definitive answer on this:

Does the trade credit->GS gift card->any other gift card thing still work? I know for a fact it worked in April. There were many people reporting that it was dead around the same time which I know isn’t true.

Other than that, any good ways to move credit from GS to Best Buy or Amazon? I have a little over $300 I’d like to move (and kinda quickly! Forgot my sister’s birthday was tomorrow!)

Lmao that is insane with all the bumps. If it stacked with the switch 25% they'd be giving over $61 for those top tier games. B2G1+employee discount...they've fired employees over deals like that. Sad day when even a simple % extra is reserved for employees.
def worth a trade ban

You’ll have to excuse me since I know this is asked once a month but I couldn’t find a definitive answer on this:

Does the trade credit->GS gift card->any other gift card thing still work? I know for a fact it worked in April. There were many people reporting that it was dead around the same time which I know isn’t true.

Other than that, any good ways to move credit from GS to Best Buy or Amazon? I have a little over $300 I’d like to move (and kinda quickly! Forgot my sister’s birthday was tomorrow!)
You can use trade credit to buy most gift cards that aren't gas cards, amazon cards, or credit card gift cards. There isn't an easy way to move credit directly to amazon without losing about 20%. Your best bet would be to buy a gift card with a high return on CardCash or Cardpool for Amazon credit.

Most of us now are old enough to afford what ever we want we just enjoy the hunt.
yeah, I enjoy seeing a deal pop up and rushing over hoping to snag it, definitely have bought a lot of stuff I didn't even 'need' but got that deal itch

yeah, I enjoy seeing a deal pop up and rushing over hoping to snag it, definitely have bought a lot of stuff I didn't even 'need' but got that deal itch
There are times when I think why the hell am I waiting I have 1k in GameStop credit what do I care if it’s on sale. But if I buy a game at launch and two weeks later it drops $3 I’m pissed at myself. I think I am sick in the head.

There are times when I think why the hell am I waiting I have 1k in GameStop credit what do I care if it’s on sale. But if I buy a game at launch and two weeks later it drops $3 I’m pissed at myself. I think I am sick in the head.
Or in the case of Fallout 76 where it drops $30 two weeks later lol

Or in the case of Fallout 76 where it drops $30 two weeks later lol
Yeah but spend $30 on a bad meal and I don’t care but spend $10 too much on a video game I am distraught.

Crazy mental block, kinda of like how I can go out spend $50 on on a steak get full and leave part of it but the $7 beer I have to finish!

You can use trade credit to buy most gift cards that aren't gas cards, amazon cards, or credit card gift cards. There isn't an easy way to move credit directly to amazon without losing about 20%. Your best bet would be to buy a gift card with a high return on CardCash or Cardpool for Amazon credit.
B2G1 on select games could get you an even split or more if you were to sell them.

This is 100% the biggest problem for them. I worked for Gamestop prior to and after the merger/buyout of EB Games. After the merged with EB they tried to keep the brands separate, likely due to EB and Gamestop stores typically being very close in proximity to each other. After about a year or so they started to rebrand the EB stores to Gamestops or the short-lived Movie Stop concept. This is the main reason why you see so many Gamestops so close to one another. A lot of the locations have lengthy leases as well.

I've proposed while working for Gamestop and still think it's a great idea to take some of these stores and convert them into Retro Gamestops and focus on retro games and collectibles. Retro games are pure profit for Gamestop selling them as used. They just need to bring in some people to train employees on how to properly test and clean up these older cart based games as well as be able to spot a repro.

That will never happen at this point, but I do see them closing a number of stores within the next year due to leases coming up and to cut back on expenses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEPAihNMbgs&t=2s

If anyone needs filler for the 3/$15 sale, I would get Wii Sports. Sells for about $11 each on eBay, and I've been getting the third game for free after fees.

I remember a time when top tier switch games fetched $59 without employee discounts...that was swell :D

If anyone needs filler for the 3/$15 sale, I would get Wii Sports. Sells for about $11 each on eBay, and I've been getting the third game for free after fees.
I've been doing this with Has Been Heroes for the Switch, that way you don't to worry about completeness or disc scratches. It sells for $13 shipped (~$8.40 after fees), so that covers 2 of the 3 games. It's peanuts, but it's better than actually paying for games.

Honestly if you search Amazon's Trade In Store, you should be able to find a fair amount of flips from Gamestop Pre-Owned to Amazon without much trouble. Madden NFL 13 for Wii is a flip for crying out loud. Mario Kart 8 Wii U is as well. All it really takes is a bit of time to search and you should find plenty of options to move credit over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back