2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I should probably use my trade credit now and not wait for the updated Nintendo Switch console to come out is what you are saying
If Gamestop goes out of business it will be very unlikely to just close. They would likely go through a phased wind down period with greater and greater discounts to liquidate stock to pay back debt and equity holders. You will have a window to use giftcards/trade credit

Isn’t the $700 million from the spring mobile sale? How they lose that much.

People love to hate gamestop...not sure really why I have a decent experience 97% of the time.

Wouldn't now be the time to buy gamestop?
If you look at the value, it jumps after a new gen console release, rides a short wave then drops. With the ps5 on the horizon, is it crazy to think we could at least see this price double?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The $673 million loss is not as alarming as you might think. It's from a one-time writedown ("asset impairment changes"), where assets that were overvalued at X were reevaluated to actually be worth Y.

For example, Gamestop recently sold off their Spring mobile division for $700 million. If on their books they originally estimated the value of that division to be $1.4 billion, then the sale would be recorded as a $700 million loss, even if no actual liquid cash was lost.

Think of it like you buying a painting for $10 at a garage sale, and it turns out to be a long lost Picasso worth $100 million. But your kid accidentally throws his Wii remote through the painting and rips a hole in it. You can sell it now for $50 and still make a profit from your original investment, but you didn't actually "lose" $100 million in cash (you just don't have the ability to sell it for $100 million anymore). But if you were a corporation with earnings reports, you would need to record that as a $100 million loss because you no longer have that asset on the books, at least not at that value.

Of course that's not to say that everything is roses. Pre-owned sales were still down 13% for the year, but not including the asset impairment, their normal operations were still profitable to the tune of over $200 million. So you don't have to panic spend all your trade credit just yet.

Think of it like you buying a painting for $10 at a garage sale, and it turns out to be a long lost Picasso worth $100 million. But your kid accidentally throws his Wii remote through the painting and rips a hole in it.
My kid would immediately be put up for sale.

The $673 million loss is not as alarming as you might think. It's from a one-time writedown ("asset impairment changes"), where assets that were overvalued at X were reevaluated to actually be worth Y.

For example, Gamestop recently sold off their Spring mobile division for $700 million. If on their books they originally estimated the value of that division to be $1.4 billion, then the sale would be recorded as a $700 million loss, even if no actual liquid cash was lost.

Think of it like you buying a painting for $10 at a garage sale, and it turns out to be a long lost Picasso worth $100 million. But your kid accidentally throws his Wii remote through the painting and rips a hole in it. You can sell it now for $50 and still make a profit from your original investment, but you didn't actually "lose" $100 million in cash (you just don't have the ability to sell it for $100 million anymore). But if you were a corporation with earnings reports, you would need to record that as a $100 million loss because you no longer have that asset on the books, at least not at that value.

Of course that's not to say that everything is roses. Pre-owned sales were still down 13% for the year, but not including the asset impairment, their normal operations were still profitable to the tune of over $200 million. So you don't have to panic spend all your trade credit just yet.
That is still $700 million that GS thought they had and didn't. Also, isn't this fraud?

The Gentleman Claptrap Pop was a points-only physical reward at one point. There were some Halo figures that actually had a very good point-to-eBay-value conversion (like 15k points -> $40). The Gears of War lancer was a lot of points. And there's posters that were often just blown-up cover art.
I wanted the Freddy Krueger glove and the half life light up gravity gun so bad. I got the Zelda cart backpack, though, so I'm still pretty happy about that.

Isn’t the $700 million from the spring mobile sale? How they lose that much.

People love to hate gamestop...not sure really why I have a decent experience 97% of the time.
The reason for the hate is for a good while in the past Gamestop was basically the only game in town and they had some very predatory practices, some of which shaped today's game ecosystem (preorder culture). Most people just had to deal with it in the past but things are different with next day online retailers and the internet being able to spread information (Or mis-information) quickly and to a much wider audience. Most of the backlash is basically people relizing how bad Gamestop was back then compared to now.

Like most other b&m retailers to they refused to adapt and change with the market and basically they are suffering for it.

I was a 3rd key for a Gamestop for a while and while I felt I was ethical in my conduct, I saw many instances of shady practices, like marking prices up just before a sale.

Your Elite Pro memberships are now worthless to those that have extended beyond 2020 lol. On the other hand, I'm looking to pick up quick 3 games during the next prestige day sale with an Elite pro discount.

I haven't set foot inside GS about over a year now. Of course I only have the basic tier.

PM your info if you would be honored in sharing your account info before they got out of business.

The reason for the hate is for a good while in the past Gamestop was basically the only game in town and they had some very predatory practices, some of which shaped today's game ecosystem (preorder culture). Most people just had to deal with it in the past but things are different with next day online retailers and the internet being able to spread information (Or mis-information) quickly and to a much wider audience. Most of the backlash is basically people relizing how bad Gamestop was back then compared to now.

Like most other b&m retailers to they refused to adapt and change with the market and basically they are suffering for it.

I was a 3rd key for a Gamestop for a while and while I felt I was ethical in my conduct, I saw many instances of shady practices, like marking prices up just before a sale.
Gamestop has been the only major specialty retailer in the United States for video games since the merger with EB over a decade ago. I worked at Gamestop from 2004-2010 as an assistant store manager and also saw a lot of shady stuff going on, but nothing out of the ordinary for a retailer.

At the end of the day, Gamestop is a business and they need to make a profit. The biggest issue with Gamestop has always been its upper management just simply being out touch with what the customers and generally most of the employees in the stores want. They should have been all over the retro video game market years ago and converted some of the stores over to selling retro games exclusively, they just simply have too many stores that are practically on top of each other due to the EB stores becoming Gamestop stores. Acquisitions like Think Geek also just aren't paying off for them.

Inevitably Gamestop has to figure something out and start to pivot away from used product being the bread and butter for them but I honestly don't know what they can do at this point. They really need to revamp the Pro Membership model with Elite Pro going away, signing up for Elite Pro got me to spend a fair amount of money at Gamestop over the last year, but now my membership is expired and the Pro benefits don't really do it for me.

It'll be interesting to see if Gamestop makes it through the next couple of years. They aren't going to go out of business overnight, but the writing is clearly on the wall and at the rate they are going I don't see them being around 5 years from now.

Most of the backlash is basically people relizing how bad Gamestop was back then compared to now.
Was? WAS?

Three calls to CS, two twitter @s, and unanswered online inquiries and they still ended up canceling my Black Friday Switch bundle after about a month of "it will definitely ship." I still never got any answer on why.

Good thing I had an Amazon order (without the $50 gift card), else the niece was going to wonder why she's getting Switch games from everyone else with no console.

Edit: Not to mention, still 0 way to directly change order address, payment option, or which store to pick up from. What is this, 1999?

Gamestop has been the only major specialty retailer in the United States for video games since the merger with EB over a decade ago. I worked at Gamestop from 2004-2010 as an assistant store manager and also saw a lot of shady stuff going on, but nothing out of the ordinary for a retailer.

At the end of the day, Gamestop is a business and they need to make a profit. The biggest issue with Gamestop has always been its upper management just simply being out touch with what the customers and generally most of the employees in the stores want. They should have been all over the retro video game market years ago and converted some of the stores over to selling retro games exclusively, they just simply have too many stores that are practically on top of each other due to the EB stores becoming Gamestop stores. Acquisitions like Think Geek also just aren't paying off for them.

Inevitably Gamestop has to figure something out and start to pivot away from used product being the bread and butter for them but I honestly don't know what they can do at this point. They really need to revamp the Pro Membership model with Elite Pro going away, signing up for Elite Pro got me to spend a fair amount of money at Gamestop over the last year, but now my membership is expired and the Pro benefits don't really do it for me.

It'll be interesting to see if Gamestop makes it through the next couple of years. They aren't going to go out of business overnight, but the writing is clearly on the wall and at the rate they are going I don't see them being around 5 years from now.
As you mentioned other retailers do also do shady stuff, and they mostly do get flack for it. Who really likes Walmart? We shop there because its cheap not because Walmart offers any real great service other than low prices. Gamestop is a boutique store for a hobby that isnt all that boutique any more. Small stores in the past could have higher prices, but today they are competing with Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, Target. And most of those places offer better prices or the same. (I would say Steam but honestly Gamestop has never invested heavily in PC gaming, since Ive been going (18+ years) PC is always one little cart/shelf of cases and maybe some keyboards/controllers/mice)

Yes Gamestop still has used, but digital + used pricing being stupid (-5 dollars off the price of a new game isnt a deal).

I know Best Buys GCU is over but that had to take a huge bite out of places like Gamestop, why pay full prices when I get 20% off + possible 10 credit (Preorder). My GCU is still active and even when a games on sale at another place Im likely to Price match and get it there only for the added points. The only reason I go to Gamestop atm is Statue deals, Clearance Deals, the Bogo or 4 for $20 type deals.

If Gamestop had really good pricing scheme then it would be able to keep up, or better trade in deals like Any new released game trade in +10-20 bucks = another new release game ? They need to find something that makes them superior to Amazon/Walmart/Best Buy but they dont want to they want to stay how they always have been which is the same as those places.

Your Elite Pro memberships are now worthless to those that have extended beyond 2020 lol. On the other hand, I'm looking to pick up quick 3 games during the next prestige day sale with an Elite pro discount.
I haven't set foot inside GS about over a year now. Of course I only have the basic tier.
PM your info if you would be honored in sharing your account info before they got out of business.
I’d be honored to let you basic tier internet cool guy use my account. /s

Was? WAS?

Three calls to CS, two twitter @s, and unanswered online inquiries and they still ended up canceling my Black Friday Switch bundle after about a month of "it will definitely ship." I still never got any answer on why.

Good thing I had an Amazon order (without the $50 gift card), else the niece was going to wonder why she's getting Switch games from everyone else with no console.

Edit: Not to mention, still 0 way to directly change order address, payment option, or which store to pick up from. What is this, 1999?
I deal with Gamestop so little now days that Im not sure how bad good they are. I stop in there once every few months if a good deal is going on or something. I deal mostly digital now days, Steam and PSN.

Honestly I highly doubt they're going to honor elite pro accounts that have extended into 2020 and beyond. According to managers I've talked to, they're only supposed to be around for a year after they ended the program and everyone who extended will get refunded. This is GS though so who knows until the time comes.

Lol, this guy probably steals from his grandma.

Lots of people did not play the original and would prefer to play on current Gen hardware and to add to their trophy list.
There's 2 reasons off the top of my head.

There are also enhancements that people will pay for that aren’t coming to the BC release. Mini map, auto pickup of ammo, 4K textures, better loot drops, Shift code support just to name some of them...

people still going to be saying that "GAMESTOP IS DYING BWAHAHA" etc.

Guys, it's a $30 remaster of a game from 2009!! Gamestop will be selling it for $15-$20 in a month or so, relax. You'll all get your physical copy.

Resellers have no say since they aren't the ones getting them directly and idiots are the only ones whod buy from them.

Theres a much bigger supply than everyone thinks there is.
problem is we live in an era of digital downloads so less and less incentive to keep printing a game especially something like this

I would bet they planned the limited copies of Borderlands GOY, games hardly ever release on a Wednesday. They most likely planned this to get people in the store to get more Borderland 3 pre-orders. Announcing the BL3 release date on the same day and before Gamestop opens, yeah that was planned.

Sorry we only got a few copies and are sold out, did you hear Borderlands 3 was announced? Do you want to put in a pre-order.

I assume GS probably paid some money to 2k to be the exclusive retailer for Borderlands GOTY physical?  I guess as someone else suggested to get people in the door to try and sell them a pre-order of BL3?

I already downloaded this on PSN (had a 20% off code).  Wouldn't mind having it on XBox One too but guess I will have to wait for a sale on Live (not paying $30 for it).  I have friends on both platforms who are likely playing through this (again).  

Does anyone have any tips for snagging rare retro games on the gamestop site? I've missed out on Pocky & Rocky and Mega Max x2 multiple times this past week. 

I'm sure this question is frequently asked but I haven't found the answer. Does the 20% off a pre-owned game birthday coupon stack with pro or elite pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back