2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from a few random Switch titles (like SSB Ultimate trading for $48 Elite), was there a formal SB last month and I just missed it? I'm hopeful for one next weekend, as a local Pawn Shop got in a couple of Wii Sports and Minecrafts.
I don't know about formal, as I didn't get the email saying you have C ammount of games worth X ammount, but there was a SB around the 28th. They waited a week because there was a pro day/weekend going on the week prior when the normal SB usually takes place. Games like Fire Emblem, Yoshi, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance went up to $35 base along with Smash, Mario Kart 8 and NSMBU and traded in at $49 with a pre-order 20% bonus

Was thinking of trading in my Xbox One S for an X but is the difference really that big? I see the 2k20 S bundle is $299 and the 2k20 X bundle is $499...man is the gap that huge? Is it a $200 difference between those machines?
Its a pretty big difference for me. Going from sub 1080 on a lot of games are to 1440+ is great. That being said this gen only has a year left and I wouldnt spend 500 for an X at this point. 350 max if I wasn't going to go next gen at launch. Otherwise I would wait it out.

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, there's currently a 25% off flash sale on retro games based on TV and movies. It's under the Deals tab. Runs 10/10 - 10/13

I assume that we can only get the $10 rewards cash for Modern Warfare once even if we pre-order both the PS4 and Xbox One versions? The thought came to mind today, but I assume that people have done that for Code Vein and Ghost Recon: Breakpoint already. 

PSA: Do not cancel any orders on GameStop's website or your account will be permanently blocked from making purchases online. 

For weeks now, GS has been declining all my online transactions and saying to use another payment method or to contact customer service.

Except that it doesn't even matter what card or even what PayPal account I use. I even tried my parents' credit cards. They all get declined.

I called CS, waited over an hour on hold, only to get through to someone who put me further on hold until he just hung up on me.

The only thing I might have done that looked suspicious was that I had made some large online orders which I then cancelled but re-ordered a few minutes later because I had forgotten to activate my cashback extension. This was all done through the browser at 2 AM in the morning (no calls) and wouldn't have affected anyone.

Oddly enough my Powerup Account has still been going strong in-store and I'm still able to obtain and redeem points. But now I'm missing out on GS's online deals plus if there are no stores nearby with items I want then I'm SOL.

To cash in on one online deal, I actually had to go to a relative's house and use their credit card as a guest to make an order. 

None of this made any sense until I saw this comment on the GS subreddit website mega-thread: 
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/cvamtw/websiteapppowerup_rewards_redesign_problems/f1xlujz/

This was somehow removed automatically, so I'm reposting this...

So here's something interesting. When The Last of Us Part 2 Collector's Edition was listed on the website, I went to go pre-order it. Everything seemed fine, no issues. Then a couple hours later, it was cancelled. I've had orders randomly cancelled before as well. I thought it was odd, so I tried placing the order again, and this time it wouldn't even accept my order, no matter what, different cards and all.

I called Customer Service and after waiting for nearly an hour for someone to pick up, and explaining the problem, the lady said my account was blocked. I asked her why and she said because I've cancelled a few orders. I asked her how cancelling orders warranted my account being blocked from future purchases as no order was ever shipped since they were all pre-orders. She said that's what was on her notes, cancelling orders.

Has anyone heard of this?

She suggested placeing orders in store then, is this possible? Can orders be placed in store for ship-to-home? Never had to do this.

So even if your orders get cancelled completely out of your control, your account will still get flagged and become blocked from making any purchases.

GameStop.com is viewing any and all cancellations as malicious. 

FFS GameStop, rule #1 of retail is not to make it difficult for customers to give you their money, and with the restructure, you have already failed at this first step. In the past few weeks, GameStop has already lost hundreds of dollars from me, and likely many, many others. I thought I was the only one but as more and more people become blocked from making innocent cancellations or even cancellations forced upon them, they are further alienating their customers and flat out denying their money. 

If GameStop has any hope of surviving as a company, they need to make this their number one priority. Please get the message out. 

Other comments in the mega-thread are revealing, such as https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/cvamtw/websiteapppowerup_rewards_redesign_problems/f0n2kjx/

Follow up: I placed an in-store order and then after placed a ship-to-home order. According to the support person: If you place more than 2 orders in a 24 hour window on the gamestop.com website, your orders will be cancelled and you will be locked out of being able to order items for 24-48 hours after.

No online stores do this in 2019, other than Gamestop. What an absolute pile of shit. On one hand, I'm glad Gamestop is going bankrupt. On the other, it's the employees that will get burned by this -- the execs are all cashing out, hand over fist, riding the train all the way to the bottom.

Further: went into local gamestop and employees couldn't even do an in-store purchase! With me standing there.. WITH CASH. After an hour of wasting my and the employee's time, they had to make the sale, without using my account: therefore I had to fucking pay shipping and didn't get the gamestop member discount..

If this is to be taken at face value, even making more than one transaction in 24 hours will lead to cancellations. And if all cancellations can lead to an account blocking, then this means people making too many orders run the risk of having have their account blocked, leading to GameStop hemorrhaging even more money as a result of losing money from the people most willing to give it to them. 

I didn't think that one of the solutions to stopping a ship from sinking was poking more holes in it. 

Other comments in the mega-thread are revealing, such as https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/comments/cvamtw/websiteapppowerup_rewards_redesign_problems/f0n2kjx/ .

Follow up: I placed an in-store order and then after placed a ship-to-home order. According to the support person: If you place more than 2 orders in a 24 hour window on the gamestop.com website, your orders will be cancelled and you will be locked out of being able to order items for 24-48 hours after.

No online stores do this in 2019, other than Gamestop. What an absolute pile of shit. On one hand, I'm glad Gamestop is going bankrupt. On the other, it's the employees that will get burned by this -- the execs are all cashing out, hand over fist, riding the train all the way to the bottom.
This has to be false. I've easily made 3-4 orders within 24 hours on the new site before and had no issues whatsoever.

This has to be false. I've easily made 3-4 orders within 24 hours on the new site before and had no issues whatsoever.
I made 4 orders within 5 minutes of psn credit. I order the $25 cards separately in case the order doesnt go through right. so this certainly isnt some kind of "auto" cancellation of multiple orders.

I've been blacklisted for several months. The only thing I can figure I did was a return. One online buy & return in store ever. I can still make purchases with trade credit only. No credit,no PayPal nothing but TC.

I've made multiple orders in a day without any issues. I've returned online orders without any issues (even when employees refund me cash instead of the TC I paid). The only issue I have ever had was getting locked out of my account online (account is still active and in good standing) and was told it was a problem that they are having with some people. I know people like to rag on GS but they'd be stupid to block people from ordering online just because they cancelled an order or placed more than a couple orders within a day.

I think it's 3 within an hour or something like that. When I made my 4th it auto cancelled after about 15 mins and then I couldn't make another order until the next day.

So if I have 200 dollars in gamestop trade in credit and don't really plan to use it... what would be the best way to get rid of it?  buying a few games and reselling?

I don't remember if it was with the new website, but I believe it was, but I placed 6 orders within maybe 10 minutes when they had that buy 1 get 1 50% off and it stacked with CAG16 and nothing has happened as far as my account being banned

No major changes in values will try to update sheets Sunday since I am unsure when major changes occur.

Add Yooka Laylee Dungeon thing PS4 to no values

So if I have 200 dollars in gamestop trade in credit and don't really plan to use it... what would be the best way to get rid of it? buying a few games and reselling?
You could do that, Black Friday or an upcoming prestige day could help. Or just use it for birthday/Christmas gifts if you can.

You could do that, Black Friday or an upcoming prestige day could help. Or just use it for birthday/Christmas gifts if you can.
Toward the holidays I go to one of the big stores with tons of collectibles to load up on secret santa stuff, toys for tots, and regular gifts where I want to give something but don't necessarily want to "spend" a lot. I get most of my credit from flips and dirt cheap yard sale stuff.

Toward the holidays I go to one of the big stores with tons of collectibles to load up on secret santa stuff, toys for tots, and regular gifts where I want to give something but don't necessarily want to "spend" a lot. I get most of my credit from flips and dirt cheap yard sale stuff.
Great idea.. I just don't have anyone to buy gifts for...lol

No major changes in values will try to update sheets Sunday since I am unsure when major changes occur.

Add Yooka Laylee Dungeon thing PS4 to no values
I don't think they usually change until Monday morning, so I would wait until then. I may just be thinking of stealth bumps though.

Bought a pre-owned Wii U game today and it's too dirty or scratched to play. How is this possible for a store that specializes in selling used games? Do they not try each game before putting it on the shelf?

Bought a pre-owned Wii U game today and it's too dirty or scratched to play. How is this possible for a store that specializes in selling used games? Do they not try each game before putting it on the shelf?
Time needed to test each game and the possible losses in profit from labor labor is your most controlable cost at least according to my boss.

Is there anyway to sell gamestop trade credit or is it better just to buy something and resell?
there are trading forums here on CAG, you can sell there but for paypal expect to sell at about 80 to 85% of full value.

I don't think they usually change until Monday morning, so I would wait until then. I may just be thinking of stealth bumps though.
They used to change on Wednesday due to price changes with the ad, so I would think they would change on Sundays now? I think the stealth bumps dont usually change until Tuesday morning.

This is so weird, i tried to order 2 copy of the kingdom heart collector edition.  First time it give me error, i try again same time and third time i used a different card and i still got error.  But Accordign to my card, I got charged for all 3 of them but still error. 

Time needed to test each game and the possible losses in profit from labor labor is your most controlable cost at least according to my boss.
Of course labor cost is significant and so is the cost to bring in new customers. I doubt it would be hard or expensive to have machines that at least test discs for data integrity.

Of course labor cost is significant and so is the cost to bring in new customers. I doubt it would be hard or expensive to have machines that at least test discs for data integrity.
Sadly, with games needing to be installed before you play them on most new consoles (which can take upwards of 20-60 min), we cannot test any games at the store. Also, most games require a day 1 update which can also take 15-20 min more with a good internet connection. However, our internet is very slow and basic just so we can test consoles that are traded in. Employees look at discs as they come in for trades. If they look too scratched, we charge for a refurb fee and that game disc is sent to the warehouse to be tested, checked, and/or buffed if it has problems that can be fixed.

We also do not have the counter space to have an Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, Switch, or a PS Vita plugged in or hooked up. This is why preowned games come with a 30 day guarantee, or can be extended by a 1 year warranty which is only $1-3 depending on the price of the game.

I know it sucks to bring a game home, have it not work, and have to come back to the store for a replacement or a different game if we have no replacement. But that is how most stores that sell use products work as we literally have hundreds of games traded in every day. It would take hours to test 100 games spanning 9-10 different consoles. But again, this is why they they have a guarantee for issues like this.

Since Xbox One and PS4 games install first, it's very rare for a game on those systems to not work since after the install, the disc is only needed for the system to check that the game is present, then it all runs from the Hard drive after that. I hope I helped with some clarifications. :)

Thanks for the response. I understand the challenges you listed with day one updates and proprietary cartridges. My recommendation is to start with a system that scans optical media (e.g., all Playstation, all Xbox, Wii/Wii U, Gamecube, etc.) for readable sectors or and/or imperfections. That should cover the majority of trade-ins.

They used to change on Wednesday due to price changes with the ad, so I would think they would change on Sundays now? I think the stealth bumps dont usually change until Tuesday morning.
LOL their marketing/sale dates are all over the place. Some stuff still ends on Wednesday (the recent gift bag sale) and the 4 for $$ sales always start on Mondays. I wasn't sure if stealth bumps were still active on Monday, or that was just because I was thinking of ones that fell on a holiday weekend.

I was thinking we usually get a day of flips when the ad drops on Sunday before it's corrected on Monday, but I've been trade banned for the last 90 days so you're right that it would be a good call to get the values tomorrow.

This is so weird, i tried to order 2 copy of the kingdom heart collector edition. First time it give me error, i try again same time and third time i used a different card and i still got error. But Accordign to my card, I got charged for all 3 of them but still error.
Sounds like good ol gamestop to me. Never change :)

So several people PMed me about buying my gamestop trade in credit.  Is it better to send my cards directly to them or would it work just as well if I just give them the code off the back when I scratch off that silver stuff. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back