2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was curious about the flip people are doing on the 4 for 20 trade. Do you use your GameStop pro card for both the buying and trading in? Or would doing that have them ban you?
Yes, I assume that most do. Banning when trading generally occurs from going over the trade limit in dollar value or copies of a particular title traded in too many times in a 30 day period. I've not heard of someone being banned for taking advantage of this particular deal-intersection.

It would be possible, I'd imagine, for Loss Prevention to look at your account, figure out what you're doing and ban you manually, but that seems incredibly unlikely, unless an employee specifically contacts them to "get you."

Regarding trade credit being held in limbo from cancelled orders:

I have no prior experience with this issue, but I did have a B2G1 order cancelled by a store on Friday morning. Having read all of the stories here about trade credit going poof for long periods, I called CS on Monday and was on hold for an hour but just left the phone on speaker on my desk while I worked. They told me it would be 3 business days for it to go back on my card and that that was standard. So Mon/Tues/Wed went by, and this morning it's back on there in full. I have no idea if the call accelerated things, but that's my anecdote.
I have had a few orders of psn, eshop credit not go through right on the website, but it still takes the amount out for a hold. I usually wait a week then contact help via email. usually that day or the next the money is back. I dont know if the email is doing it (never get a response) or if its just the amount of time for the hold to come off.

So I know gamestop does returns from online buys, do they also do exchanges? If I get a game with a random blank case can I just swap it for a better one in store or do I have to return and rebuy at the stores (higher) price?

So in the process of my wife starting to wrap Xmas presents for the kids she found a copy of Scribblenauts Mega Pack for the Switch that I thought got thrown away last year by mistake. So it looks like that trades in for $18.20 after Pro and the $5 bonus so I might do another round of 8-12 games to go with it. Every time I think I’m out I get pulled back in.

We use the same for both most of the time. Only going over the limits will get you an auto ban, no more than 4 of the same game or more than one of the same in a transaction, and no more than 2000 in total TC or 500 cash, all in a 30 day period.

Someone who is suspicious can have LP look into your account and you can get banned that way, but you would still have the money on your trade card. Just don't let them put it on your account. Another thing I know that should be obvious but maybe is not is that I remove all the GS stickers and such before I trade in. It takes a few minutes, but helps alleviate suspicion.
So, I take the reverse approach actually and leave them on since it's easier to re-scan, plus then they don't have to re-sticker them. I try to be environmentally conscious in the rest of my life and reprinting the stickers just because I removed them seems kind of like a waste of resources. But, to each their own and if that's what works for you then keep at it.

So I know gamestop does returns from online buys, do they also do exchanges? If I get a game with a random blank case can I just swap it for a better one in store or do I have to return and rebuy at the stores (higher) price?
It depends on the store, I try and ask in advance because I had a CSR give me guff about trying to just exchange it one time. So instead I just bought the game with the nice case outright and then returned the bad one the next day. The same girl was there both days and didn't say anything though, either she didn't remember me or didn't care.

We use the same for both most of the time. Only going over the limits will get you an auto ban, no more than 4 of the same game or more than one of the same in a transaction, and no more than 2000 in total TC or 500 cash, all in a 30 day period.

Someone who is suspicious can have LP look into your account and you can get banned that way, but you would still have the money on your trade card. Just don't let them put it on your account. Another thing I know that should be obvious but maybe is not is that I remove all the GS stickers and such before I trade in. It takes a few minutes, but helps alleviate suspicion.
So, I take the reverse approach actually and leave them on since it's easier to re-scan, plus then they don't have to re-sticker them. I try to be environmentally conscious in the rest of my life and reprinting the stickers just because I removed them seems kind of like a waste of resources. But, to each their own and if that's what works for you then keep at it.

I have the same issue. I received 3 generic cases and I think even preowned games can be returned until mid January but you don’t have to return them. As long as you have the receipt u can exchange the cases instore no problem

In regards to online TC, I've had a couple pick up in store orders get canceled the last couple weeks and the TC has gone back onto my card immediately. Not sure how it would be for online ship to home orders but I've been pleasantly surprised lately.

A gamestop manager became suspicious of my account and notified the district manager.

A buddy of mine who works at gamestop told me all the stores in a 100 mile radius were on group chat talking about my account.

Think my account will get banned lol?

Another thing I know that should be obvious but maybe is not is that I remove all the GS stickers and such before I trade in. It takes a few minutes, but helps alleviate suspicion.

I just remove the price stickers. For example when I've been doing these 4 for $20 flips I've been removing the price tags that say $9.99 because an employee may get suspicious as to why the game has a price sticker for $9.99 but the game trades in for a minimum of $7+ in trade credit. The employees may also question or be curious about why you never removed the price sticker.

It is really up to personal preference though.

A gamestop manager became suspicious of my account and notified the district manager.

A buddy of mine who works at gamestop told me all the stores in a 100 mile radius were on group chat talking about my account.

Think my account will get banned lol?
Might I recommend the name "Thaddeus Gamestopius" for your new account?

Yeah, you're probably toast lol. You might lose the points, but the TC should be yours to keep as long as you still have it on a card.
Yeah I'd use any points or TC on your rewards card instantly because you're probably screwed lol. The suspicious GS manager is a nightmare for us all my friend.

My online order came with two generic cases and one rough looking one and it's bothering me more than I thought it would (I knew it was a crapshoot).  How do returns work for B2G1 deals?  Can I return one or two and keep the third and do I need to return all three?  Receipt shows one $41 game, one $9 game and one at $0 (originally $9).  The two lower priced games would actually trade back for more than I paid for them (but do I really want any moneys tied up in GS credit?).  No stores near me have copies in stock for a case exchange.

I just traded in my Old Xbox one x instead got $225 plus I traded in an old plug n play for $5...saving that towards Scarlett (if GameStop last that long)

Better $230 than dealing with flakers/traders and online scammers imo...

Upgraded my pro account too while I was there. Do they still give buy2/1? Or is it just the $5 coupon

Dang that sucks...not sure if I plan to use these $5 coupon codes. I guess I will once in a while depending on the price of something. Nothing on my radar for a while anyway.

There was a lady buying t shirts for her son and he almost convinced her to upgrade her pro account he said if you spend $10 now you’ll get $60 in coupons..she almost took the bait but then didn’t....she still spent $60 on t shirts tho

My online order came with two generic cases and one rough looking one and it's bothering me more than I thought it would (I knew it was a crapshoot). How do returns work for B2G1 deals? Can I return one or two and keep the third and do I need to return all three? Receipt shows one $41 game, one $9 game and one at $0 (originally $9). The two lower priced games would actually trade back for more than I paid for them (but do I really want any moneys tied up in GS credit?). No stores near me have copies in stock for a case exchange.
I had to do a few returns for some n64 games I got from the last retro b2g1. I just called customer support, told them the situation, and they said they would mail me the replacements.

When I asked about returning the games I have, they said not to worry and keep them.

Anyone else have issues with redeeming points, where the cert doesn't show up in your account?
I had no problems two days ago. Well with my online orders missing items I had a investigation which did not turn out favourably the second time first time they just said they would send the replacement. I will limit my online orders from now on.

I don't think I'll ever use credit on an online order again, or at least until we have multiple confirmations that it works reliably without a hitch. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who don't know how to do their own job, and spending an hour on the phone with them is not my idea of a good time.

Can anyone name a company that screws up as much as gamestop? I literally can’t think of a store that comes even close.
It almost feels like everyone that works for gamestop is bitter so they purposely see how many orders they can get wrong.

My account got flagged. Started flipping today and when I got to the 3rd store(up to this point only traded in 8 games). Some guy came from the back and said he was going to call all the stores in the area give them my name so they would not take trades from me. He said I wasn't trade banned but he knew what I was doing. I asked how he knew he said" the system saw that I bought and traded the same games in the same day".

My account got flagged. Started flipping today and when I got to the 3rd store(up to this point only traded in 8 games). Some guy came from the back and said he was going to call all the stores in the area give them my name so they would not take trades from me. He said I wasn't trade banned but he knew what I was doing. I asked how he knew he said" the system saw that I bought and traded the same games in the same day".
This is why so many people hate GameStop. You get employees like this that think it is their duty to protect this company. Was this the district manager? If it wasn't, then I would be calling corporate and complaining. Unless the system bans you, you should be allowed to trade (I get the whole manager discretion, but they rarely turn down business). And I am pretty sure employees cannot see the transactions that you've made that day.

This is why so many people hate GameStop. You get employees like this that think it is their duty to protect this company. Was this the district manager? If it wasn't, then I would be calling corporate and complaining. Unless the system bans you, you should be allowed to trade (I get the whole manager discretion, but they rarely turn down business). And I am pretty sure employees cannot see the transactions that you've made that day.
The "system" sees jack. The employee, or another one somewhere else, figured it out most likely. They only see your transaction history if they look for it, and AFAIK anything done the same day they can't see. The system updates everything the following day.
He might have been a District Manager, I've never seen him before. It could have been the associate(Junior Detective) at the 2nd store I went to because he was really rude. When I did my trade in, he said "wanna look around so I can do it on same transaction". I said no I'll put it on my TC then I'll look around. A few minutes later I bring my next batch and he says "see, I could of put those on the same transaction". Then I responded "I want separate receipts". He looked pissed after that. I didn't think anything of it when going to the next store.

I can validly point out that I need separate transactions because here in CA if you trade anything in, then anything you buy you won't get the points on unless you call customer service. You have to do it separately. The system (in typical GS fashion) simply erases anything with a trade in from your account history.

I did actually just now notice something that I hadn't before that might be a dead giveaway. The "You saved XX.XX today!" total at the bottom of your receipt is actually a running total. They can tell (possibly) from how big the number is that you've been to other stores that same day.
Yep. Looking at the receipt when I left that store it said "you saved $2XX.XX today!" Question is, should I burn him on the receipt? lol

I can confirm that they can't see same day transactions. When I tried to do an exchange on a defective game without a receipt the cashier pulled up my account and could not see that I bought the game a few hours ago.

I can validly point out that I need separate transactions because here in CA if you trade anything in, then anything you buy you won't get the points on unless you call customer service. You have to do it separately. The system (in typical GS fashion) simply erases anything with a trade in from your account history.
I did actually just now notice something that I hadn't before that might be a dead giveaway. The "You saved XX.XX today!" total at the bottom of your receipt is actually a running total. They can tell (possibly) from how big the number is that you've been to other stores that same day.
I am 95% sure they can see what you bought in the same day. Shortly before the new Pro went into effect, I renewed my old Pro to get the final B2G1 coupon. I used it on three of the popular Switch games, then when I went to the second store to trade them in, the clerk asked, "Didn't you just buy these from x"? I'm friendly with the staff from the first store, so they had no reason to call around, so I'm pretty sure they can see it now. I mean, they did upgrade the website recently, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the systems on their computers also got upgraded.

Did my 2nd and last flip just cause it is a hassle. Guy I bought from said "I know what you're trying to do" and was visibly annoyed he had to adjust some game prices from $20 to $10 but he went through with it. Traded them in no problem. Hopefully there will be bigger margins next time. Thanks for the help

Yeah this didn't happen. Sounds like you trying to scare others because you are not getting anything done.

Maybe it varies by district? Could be some have updated registers and some don't.
So how did that conversation end up going? "Uhhh...must have been some other guy!"
I just denied it and he reluctantly did the trade, but the next time I went in, the clerks were whispering to each other about me.

I didn't necessarily mean that they could see your last transactions, though it could be the case. If you use the app, there is a section called "My Library" that tracks your purchases and trades. (On poweruprewards.com, it's called "My Lists".) So assuming that it updates in real-time, I think the clerks are looking into your account to make game or preorder recommendations based on your purchase history; if you're trading in dozens of games, that's a lot of trade credit to gain in one transaction, and they want you to spend some of it right then. It is a sales job after all, so they are under pressure to upsell any way they can.

From a CAG Discord:

“They just sent me an email
My store is part of a test of reduced trade values where the money our items are worth in store are less than what it comes up on the app and we aren’t allowed to make people aware of this information
And I just found that out and I’m not happy
If the customer calls us on it we are supposed to adjust"

Would explain why some flips were coming up incorrectly this week.

Has anyone bought a couple things online, got a tracking number for bought items, but when the items showed up some items were missing from the box?  They weren't on the pack in slip either, but the website says the items were supposed to be in this box with this certain tracking number.

Should I wait for more packages to come in or should I drag through customer service?

Gamestop is so friggin cheap. Ordered a NEW copy of the Switch game, “Wasteland 2: Directors Cut”. Of course, the game arrived UNSEALED. I know GS sells some games with the last copy unsealed but I’m really surprised they do this for online orders too.

Don’t think I’ll be ordering online for shipping at GS ever again.

Thank you to the advice, got a decent amount of credit for two after work stops. For the first time, I left negative feedback about my experience today. Made sure to emphasize how helpful and friendly the staff always are, but the store stunk to high heavens due to a neighbor’s (chain restaurant) backed up plumbing - disgusting! Was told it’s been about a week since the issue. Hope it doesn’t bounce back on the associate, nothing they could do.

Thank you to the advice, got a decent amount of credit for two after work stops. For the first time, I left negative feedback about my experience today. Made sure to emphasize how helpful and friendly the staff always are, but the store stunk to high heavens due to a neighbor’s (chain restaurant) backed up plumbing - disgusting! Was told it’s been about a week since the issue. Hope it doesn’t bounce back on the associate, nothing they could do.
There was a worse story on the GS subreddit: a neighboring hair salon had caused backed up plumbing since they were always flushing hair down the toilet, and it flowed out of the GS bathroom and into the stock room. The store was shut down for the day and the staff had to salvage what they could from the stock room. It could've been a fake story because I would sure as shit quit that job before I go into any room with overflowing sewage.

The last game that I am yet to receive from my BF orders (project gotham racing game 3 360) still says "awaiting availability" even though my closest store has one. Odds on it never even getting shipped?

There was a worse story on the GS subreddit: a neighboring hair salon had caused backed up plumbing since they were always flushing hair down the toilet, and it flowed out of the GS bathroom and into the stock room. The store was shut down for the day and the staff had to salvage what they could from the stock room. It could've been a fake story because I would sure as shit quit that job before I go into any room with overflowing sewage.
this story makes me laugh so much, who cares if it's true. I don't know of any other store that is so well known for keeping actual stock in the fucking employee bathrooms lol lol

but on topic, if anyone's worried about jr detectives snooping into their transaction history the easiest way to completely avoid that is to just not give them your Pro info when you buy the games - the 4 for $20 deal doesn't require it, so the only thing you really even miss out on is points (even though points have always been one of the big benefits of boomeranging, they're easy to forego if you are really that worried about drawing attention to your account).

It took a day of driving around to several different Gamestops but I was able to swap out the generic cases for all of the games from my online BF orders! :D

Sadly I found out that a few stores in my general area are closing down in January, at least two of which are Prestige stores.

The store I visited today was just starting their clearance sale so everything wasn't tagged yet but collectibles (including Funko Pops & amiibo) were 20% off, pre-owned accessories were 20% off, new accessories were 10% off, pre-owned games were all 10% off (*which did NOT stack with Pro/Elite Pro discount), new games were 5% off, and retro games were 30% off.

I noticed the new website will show you transaction history on your trade/gift cards. Goes back as far as 2017 on one of my cards.
I didn't even know GS had a new website until earlier this week (stupid real life interfering with my video games) so thank you very much for posting this!! I knew there was a reason I never threw away the massive stack of old GS Gift Cards!! Quite a while back, Gamestop would send out emails that included how much unused credit you had - IIRC, mine peaked at over $700. An employee I was friendly with went far above and beyond normal customer service to try and help me get it figured it out, but we could never get a straight answer for what was really going on. And that using their employee help line in store and on their phone!! Imagine the shit that regular customer service put me through before that.

It's actually kind of amazing there's never been a class action lawsuit considering all the stories everyone has. Then again, I am guessing most of us have broken the site's TOS many times so it just is what it is.

edit - Google just informed me it's not criminal to break a website TOS, so who knows. Obviously, not me!

This is weird. I know I pre-order a game recently, but it won't show up in the website on my account. Does it take a take a while to update? 

I received a $5 bonus on Fallout 4 PS4 despite it having a value of $1.50 on the website. Total was $6.65.

Sooo I guess it works on titles worth less than $2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back