2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
So tomorrow is day number 7 and is the last day I can return titles from my Christmas Day order. I still have 3 titles Pending Product Availability and am starting to lose hope especially because all 3 are free titles. The downside is that one of my invoices shows 2 games I paid for and 1 free one on it. If I go in with all 3 titles are they going to refuse my return on the grounds of thinking I'm keeping the second free title?
I think a lot of us are going to be in similar situations tomorrow. I ordered eight games by 4am PST Christmas morning and am still waiting on six of those titles. Two haven't even shipped yet.

I'm getting "access denied, don't have permission to access this server" only on firefox. Anyone know what's the deal with this?

Chrome and all my other browsers work fine. Just firefox getting the access denied.

Looked it up and found others with similar problem except they only had to delete their cookie and cache. I uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it and still doesn't work. Even tried another pc just to be sure it's an isolated case... nope my other pc get access denied with firefox too.

Is this some sort of ban? The last thing I bought was a $50 psn digital card with trade credits.

I'm getting "access denied, don't have permission to access this server" only on firefox. Anyone know what's the deal with this?

Chrome and all my other browsers work fine. Just firefox getting the access denied.

Looked it up and found others with similar problem except they only had to delete their cookie and cache. I uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it and still doesn't work. Even tried another pc just to be sure it's an isolated case... nope my other pc get access denied with firefox too.

Is this some sort of ban? The last thing I bought was a $50 psn digital card with trade credits.
no, i have the same problem, but i sign into my account fine on edge. i think the whole cookies and cache clearing was just the generic response to people when there is a problem, but this seems different.

Ugh. 8 of 16 games delivered today and my Mario Maker 2 arrived as an empty case, no cartridge. I saw people here complaining about their phone support, is the email any better? Odds of getting them to fix it?
Oh man, that really sucks. Here I am complaining that my MKDD!! only came in a sleeve and you are missing the game. I would try phone first and then twitter or email until they help you out.

It's not working on FF for me either. Definitely not a ban since my phone FF also doesn't work even if I put it in data mode. Just an issue with the FF browser.

no, i have the same problem, but i sign into my account fine on edge. i think the whole cookies and cache clearing was just the generic response to people when there is a problem, but this seems different.
Gamestop's website works with Firefox if you open in private browser for some reason.

B2G2:

Bought: Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, Octopath x2, DKC Tropical Freeze, Pkmn Eevee, Pkmn Pikachu, Link's Awakening for $213.

Traded in: Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, Octopath, Pkmn Eevee, Pkmn Pikachu for $190.40 credit.

Got DKC, Link's Awakening and Octopath for $22.90 credit total.

I think a lot of us are going to be in similar situations tomorrow. I ordered eight games by 4am PST Christmas morning and am still waiting on six of those titles. Two haven't even shipped yet.
Don’t you get more money by just trading in what you don’t want over returning them especially with csac? Even more if you take trade credit

Unless I missed some recent update to their return policy, you always have 30 days to return an online-ordered item, no matter if it is new or used.  The 7 day return period only applies to in-store purchases of used games.  As you're seeing, most orders aren't even received within 7 days from ordering.  

https://care.gamestop.com/returns

"RETURN & EXCHANGE ONLINE ORDERS: Return or exchange most items for up to: 30 days"

Ugh. 8 of 16 games delivered today and my Mario Maker 2 arrived as an empty case, no cartridge. I saw people here complaining about their phone support, is the email any better? Odds of getting them to fix it?

You'll be fine if it was one of the games that was not free. I received a package today that was supposed to have mario party, breath of the wild and links awakening but links awakening was missing. Of course it was the free game on the packing list so when I called customer service they told me the game was out of stock so they would have to give me a refund of $2 and some change that I apparently paid for taxes.

Half of mine came in generic cases, DQXI and The Witcher 3, both for switch. Of course none are in stock as pre owned anywhere near me to try and exchange. Anyone know a way to get original cases and covers for these?

ordered 8 and arrived today. Links Awekening (x2),  FE:3H (x2), W3, XBC, DQ11, MarioMaker 2....  All original cases.

Half of mine came in generic cases, DQXI and The Witcher 3, both for switch. Of course none are in stock as pre owned anywhere near me to try and exchange. Anyone know a way to get original cases and covers for these?
Keep them, stay on the lookout, buy them next time you see them in the wild, return them next day without the case/in those generic ones. Only free/cheap means beyond returning them as-is right now.

Got about 12 games in today, only 3 real cases 🤦🏾‍♂️. Mario Maker 2, Link Awakening & Zero Escape: VLR.

Bout to start keeping my 1st party cases when trading.This is getting ridiculous.

11 of 16 games arrived in generic cases. Even new stuff like LM3 and Pokémon Sword/Shield. Agreed with Kurosaki above. Ridiculous. I realize ordering online is always a crap-shoot... But really, odds seem to be *less* than 50/50 to get original box art. And who are these people that throw away box art for their physical media anyways? Barbarians I say!

4 of my Switch games that came today had generic cases. One shipment was missing a game on the packing slip, even though it was there (which will make returning the set of 4 really interesting). Another shipment of 2 Switch games didn't even have a packing slip.

Gamestops deals of the deal included hunting farming simulator bundle for $10 that didn't even last 30 minutes lol, so much for deal of the day

11 of my 20 games came and 9 were complete. Of course the games that I actually wanted to keep are the two that came with no art in the black boxes. Anybody know a good site that has cover art for games? The only ones I found with decent covers are the Cover Project and vgboxart but they don't have a lot of games.

Also third time calling customer service to get a replacement for a wrong game sent and for my credit from a cancelled order and the guy said that the previous person didn't even input a request. Good luck to those of you with any problems with games that can't be found in a store near you.

Gamestops deals of the deal included hunting farming simulator bundle for $10 that didn't even last 30 minutes lol, so much for deal of the day
Order one for in store pick up soon as it went live. Didn't this used to go got 60+ used?

11 of 16 games arrived in generic cases. Even new stuff like LM3 and Pokémon Sword/Shield. Agreed with Kurosaki above. Ridiculous. I realize ordering online is always a crap-shoot... But really, odds seem to be *less* than 50/50 to get original box art. And who are these people that throw away box art for their physical media anyways? Barbarians I say!
I seen people selling the cases on ebay/offerup, must be a new trend that's going on. Wished GS charged a fee for incomplete games. Normally I wouldn't purchase titles unless it's complete but this promo was too amazing to pass up.

Regarding refunds, I had many cases where cash was refunded if a gift card payment was originally used. TC and gift receipts will strictly be refunded back to trade credit.

Just bought and return a game to swap out cases/artworks and got a cash refund. I paid with debit.

It’s really the rare games that are being shipped out without artworks/cases. I’m just surprised I got mordern warfare without case/artwork though. I don’t see anyone returning or trading in a plague tale innocence with case/artwork anytime soon so I guess I’m stuck with my generic case

Keep them, stay on the lookout, buy them next time you see them in the wild, return them next day without the case/in those generic ones. Only free/cheap means beyond returning them as-is right now.
That's a lot of work. If you see one in the wild, just ask the employee if you could swap the generic case for their original case. It has never been an issue for me and have done on games w/o case, manual, and artwork that I bought a few months back. Just make sure you have a purchase receipt slip or some proof that you bought it from GS originally. It also helps if you buy something in the store when you do a swap.

It’s really the rare games that are being shipped out without artworks/cases. I’m just surprised I got mordern warfare without case/artwork though. I don’t see anyone returning or trading in a plague tale innocence with case/artwork anytime soon so I guess I’m stuck with my generic case
No problem on my end getting Plague with artwork. It's all down to chance.

Really just depends on how busy/lazy the store is.  Apparently a few stores in my area were just sending carts for $55 switch games and leaving the cases on the floor for customers to try to buy only to be told the game is sold out.  Seems like its just asking for negative tellgamestop reviews.  

It always blew my mind when customers would come in to trade switch games with no cases.
It could also be flippers keeping the cases to sell later and maximum profit lol

Really just depends on how busy/lazy the store is. Apparently a few stores in my area were just sending carts for $55 switch games and leaving the cases on the floor for customers to try to buy only to be told the game is sold out. Seems like its just asking for negative tellgamestop reviews.
During my travels during B2G2, I saw countless instances of customers trying to buy games that were still being displayed for sale (stickered cases on the shelf), to be told that the games weren't available. Surprisingly, none of the dismayed customers escalated beyond frustration, even those who were refused multiple times.

What bothered me was the employees who relayed this information to the customers in matter-of-fact or even mildly condescending manners.

I completely understand that stores were brimming with customers and most were woefully understaffed, but why keep putting the cases back out on the shelf? You don't have the games; don't advertise them for sale. I feel for the parents who had to keep telling their expectant five year olds that yet another game they tried to buy wasn't ACTUALLY for sale. And I do not envy their attempts to explain WHY to their children.

If you are receiving games from a store (as opposed to the warehouse), if the store has multiple copies, they are much more likely to dump their worst copy of that game to an "anonymous" online orderer for multiple reasons. Because of this, as you estimate, the chances of getting disc-only games online is substantially higher.

I got all your cases right here! (B2G2 tally!) - I usually don't trade back in with cases, they make nice switch cartridge cases that are convenient to carry !

cFNVkW6.png

Yea people sell cases now. I’ve seen an a lot of listing recently people trying to get $15+ for a switch case free shipping.

Yea people sell cases now. I’ve seen an a lot of listing recently people trying to get $15+ for a switch case free shipping.
I can see people collecting cases, to fill later when the price / trade value drops (and they just want a complete game on their shelf).

But it all seems so early to start asking money for cases, LOL.

There are many games out of print though. I guess it depends on the rarity. 1st part games are never going to be rare. I still have a couple Heartgold / Soulsilver cases from last seasons yard sales in a box somewhere. My local retro stores don't want them because they have enough already .. and they try to sell them as well. [according to them, the majority of their customers want to pay less and just have the loose cart.]

With out of print games, limited prints, I could see this being a thing. The target audience would be collectors. [in the example of Pokemon, they already have the cases they need.]

I suppose games affected would be GameStop exclusives, and some hot limited JRPG's, RPG's, weird games, sexy games to name a few (good or bad).

I can see people collecting cases, to fill later when the price / trade value drops (and they just want a complete game on their shelf).

But it all seems so early to start asking money for cases, LOL.

There are many games out of print though. I guess it depends on the rarity. 1st part games are never going to be rare. I still have a couple Heartgold / Soulsilver cases from last seasons yard sales in a box somewhere. My local retro stores don't want them because they have enough already .. and they try to sell them as well. [according to them, the majority of their customers want to pay less and just have the loose cart.]

With out of print games, limited prints, I could see this being a thing. The target audience would be collectors. [in the example of Pokemon, they already have the cases they need.]

I suppose games affected would be GameStop exclusives, and some hot limited JRPG's, RPG's, weird games, sexy games to name a few (good or bad).
There's a market for it. I've been trying to grab a case for platinum for years; ebay listings straight-up reject my offers of ~$8. You're accounting for supply, but not demand; besides which, case prices tend to be derivatives of the underlying game price more than anything, in my experience. Around ~40-60% of CiB, since the only people looking to buy are obsessive idiots like me (us?).

i just had a couple instore pickup orders that I paid for with trade credit that were cancelled.

Do I have to call gamestop to claw back the funds, or do the funds reimburse back to me automatically?

There's a market for it. I've been trying to grab a case for platinum for years; ebay listings straight-up reject my offers of ~$8. You're accounting for supply, but not demand; besides which, case prices tend to be derivatives of the underlying game price more than anything, in my experience. Around ~40-60% of CiB, since the only people looking to buy are obsessive idiots like me (us?).
Platinum is a bizarre phenomenon in the Pokemon series.

That's a lot of work. If you see one in the wild, just ask the employee if you could swap the generic case for their original case. It has never been an issue for me and have done on games w/o case, manual, and artwork that I bought a few months back. Just make sure you have a purchase receipt slip or some proof that you bought it from GS originally. It also helps if you buy something in the store when you do a swap.
I’m sure most stores would let you swap, but do you make a habit of just carrying your dud cases with you?

I ordered one of the Farming / Hunting bundles with store pickup at my local store. Still says preparing for pickup after 4 hours... haven’t had a pickup take this long before. I can’t imagine stores are super busy today. Must be patient I suppose!

I’m sure most stores would let you swap, but do you make a habit of just carrying your dud cases with you?
Will also note that I actually *have* been turned down for this when it's not in the context of "I just bought this recently; here's my receipt"; big one I remember was tales of the abyss 3ds. Bought it around 2013, spent a few years waiting for it to show, finally asked for one, got turned down hard. Steamed me something fierce at the time - and yeah, it's not like I just lugged the generic around with me that whole time.

No harm asking, of course - but the route I've eventually arrived at is to just add a few extra buys onto a visit if I see something uncommon. It's not worth doing if you're just grabbing one case, yeah - but if you eye 3 or so games you have, or plan to have? You're already there, and it's maybe an extra 5 minutes out of your day tomorrow if you've got a store on your way to work.

GS's gone from "the place I buy games from" to "the place that is annoying to buy games from" to "the place whose annoyances I manipulate right back at them when buying games" over the decade and a half I've shopped there, honestly. I ain't doing this with switch games or the like, mind - but around now's your last chance to fill out 3ds/ps3/vita stuff if you ever intend to. No regrets; the alternative was me driving store-to-store on sale day trying to make sets of 3 with returns/rebuys, anyway.

The folks I always give glowing reviews to, stopped even asking for a receipt to swap cases.

The last time I was there, I waited in line to (hopefully) swap cases out. When I got to the front, I was told it's not a big deal for me, just swap the cases, then acknowledge us, and you're gold. (I told them I wanted to be at the register under camera so it would be legit -- they said, no worries, just swap stuff out [!] )

Felt Kind of weird, but I did it a few days ago .. I swapped artwork, they met eyes with me, smiled, I waved .. I left. No problems. All on camera.

Bottom line: Give positive feedback, make yourself known. Get special treatment. Employees want to keep their jobs - They know what you do, but, there is no benefit to calling you out.

You can pad them with a GPG from time to time also to keep them in your pocket. When an employee gets too inquisitive, just add GPG on some of the purchases. Employees are more thankful than hateful at this point.

The buy X/$Y was a good example, since the GPG was only $1 per game. There will be another clever way to satisfy employees, guaranteed. Employees need 30% GPG per month for all pre-owned sold .. give them GPG's for 50% of what you buy, and you got a friend. (sure less store credit, but what cost do you put on having employees's in your pocket?)

I have 5 GS's in a driveable distance, 3 being far. I got to keep my boys and manga gals close & happy for the local lovin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back