2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what has the market response been to 86ing Pro and Elite discounts in the test areas? Did they seen an increase in overall profit from this move? I know I'm not going to be shopping at GameStop even 25% as much as I used to without discounts. Just wondering because if I was in the game selling business, I would rather sell volume at a lesser profit per game than squeeze people for a extra few bucks per game and sell less.

Is there a chance in hell that:
A) This change turns off GameStop's core customer base and they lose a massive amount of money
B) They course correct as a result and bring discounts back
Time will tell.

I'd say neither as Best Buy did away with GCU and I used to visit and purchase at least one game weekly there, and killed time in the store looking for deals on receivers and TVs, which lead me to buying two plasmas, an Andrew Jones surround system, Pioneer 301, and Beatles audiophile turntable over the years.
I've been in Best Buy once since GCU ended, to try to buy a USB C headset adapter replacement for my Pixel.
Apparently, much like Mom and Pop retro video game stores that charge $64.99 for Xbox 360 "new releases" eighteen months after they came out and are at Walmart for $20, milking the people not like us with overpriced crap is a better route to success. BB has apparently had a big turnaround.
Best buy sells more than video games. GameStop is supposedly video game focused. I think best buy saw that their margins for video games were not being helped by GCU so they axed it and their sales of other electronics were not affected. As for GameStop, Most of their stores have morphed into a Funko Pop think geek with some games thrown in. I'm sure they make more money on the collectibles but I am only interested in that stuff when it gets to 75% off. With the new website , I can't check for price drops anymore. As mentioned above, the CAG is not GameStops target demographic. Maybe it should be though. Who else will want to buy all of their overstock of last gen games?
It's a new direction for GameStop and we really won't see how it works out for a few years. I think it's probably the right move from a corporate standpoint as physical games become a niche market and digital games become the preferred mode of play. Other than the switch, I don't see many pre-owned xbone or PS4 titles move quickly of GameStop shelves

Sadly, this 100%.
We saw that was clearly evident with the website redesign, which was updated to make the website a nightmare to navigate, but at least it had all those pretty pictures now. Plus GsDave pretty much admitted it as well

Not being able to sort properly and check for price drops on Gamestop.com really hinders how I shop there online but it's likely exactly what they want. They don't want you to look for cheaper items, they want you to simply search for Madden XX and that's it. You want this game that may be on clearance, too bad, they don't want you to buy it but they will surely advertise that they have great deals.

I know someone stated that Gamestop isn't doing too bad last year since they closed less stores than they did years past but they also aren't opening up as many stores. 

They have closed about 500 stores since 2014. There are about 3,800 Gamestop's in America (Link). That means that they have lost 13% of stores since that time while not opening nearly as much. Not saying Gamestop is going to die anytime soon but they are taking the same steps that RadioShack, Kmart (oddly enough there are still some) and Blockbuster took.

But either way, Gamestop knows that they no longer want to have the demographic of shoppers that look for good gaming deals but those that think the only place for them to buy games is Gamestop. We'll see how long alienate customers by taking away Elite Pro, making it difficult to shop online and removing points for purchases is going to last for them. 

I know someone stated that Gamestop isn't doing too bad last year since they closed least stores than they did years past but they also aren't opening up as many stores. 

This is the worst company ever. I bough several items in the B2G2 free deal. 

Some of the items were cancelled. I was told to pick replacements. I did. They sent a shipping notice. Then immediately cancelled the order.

I contacted them again. They did the exact same thing. Then they claimed to be sending me a gift card. I have over 30 emails back and forth from them. Are they playing games or what's going wrong? Why would they send me shipped notices to immediately cancel them?

We’ve all said many times over the years that there are too many Gamestop stores. As they close the redundant and poorly performing stores, why would they open new ones? They’ve closed one store in the greater Rochester area. There are still at least 10 more to go to.

I

extra $5 starts 1/20, lots of time to drop values to $1.90. also not thrilled with the "towards an upcoming game" wording. glad to see it back though, have alot of $3-$4 games ive been holding on to.
I'm assuming the "towards an upcoming game" can be worked around by eventually canceling that pre-order. I can't see them reducing your credit after the fact because you changed your mind on a game.

Interesting...I wonder if this is the tradeoff for people who renewed regular Pro last year but still haven't received a $5 coupon. I'll take the 10% off preowned over the $5/month.
What Omicron quoted from the employee is what they told people. It was a (n unintentional) lie. 10/20% is gone. Everyone is on the 5/month program, though some people have yet to receive their first 5 dollar coupon.

If you'd like to test this, sign into your account online, add a used item to your cart. Does it receive the 10% discount?

I’m curious if there plan to be a lot more B2G2 events before the PS5 release... or if B2G1 becomes a regular monthly thing maybe?

Hope preowned price drops occur at the same time as the expected sub-$2 tic drops!

We saw that was clearly evident with the website redesign, which was updated to make the website a nightmare to navigate, but at least it had all those pretty pictures now. Plus GsDave pretty much admitted it as well
"GsDave" was not a gamestop employee. Nothing that he says represents gamestop. He is a maniac obsessed with CAG who originally used the handle "iamthecheapestgamer" (iatcg) years ago until he was banned and keeps returning once or twice a week under different accounts, posts different forms of the same routine, and gets quickly banned and deleted from the site. You need to be fast to catch him these days because the moderators remove him swiftly.

Why he resurfaced as Dave, with that particular character, is anyone's guess. But his latest iterations seem to mix elements of that role with his traditional, douchey self. He hasn't been trying as hard to not be obvious about it of late. Previously he would impersonate a fully-functioning human being for a few posts but eventually break down into his traditional tropes before long. He's easy to spot, though, once you recognize his tells.

Come to think of it, it's been a few days. He should be here soon.

Add : It would be entertaining if it didn't confuse so many people who don't realize what's going on. And I've got to imagine he's become a significant nuisance to whomever moderates the forums.

We’ve all said many times over the years that there are too many Gamestop stores. As they close the redundant and poorly performing stores, why would they open new ones? They’ve closed one store in the greater Rochester area. There are still at least 10 more to go to.
If you look at their fiscal and yearly reports, majority of their stores are under performing. It is wise and best to close stores that are doing the worst, especially Gamestop's that are within a mile of each other, but they are still hurting. http://news.gamestop.com/financial-information/annual-reports

http://news.gamestop.com/static-files/7bb13c3c-593c-425f-b4ec-3345bd1f91a4

They should be trying to save themselves but alienating your top customer base may not be the best way to go about it.

What Omicron quoted from the employee is what they told people. It was a (n unintentional) lie. 10/20% is gone. Everyone is on the 5/month program, though some people have yet to receive their first 5 dollar coupon.

If you'd like to test this, sign into your account online, add a used item to your cart. Does it receive the 10% discount?
Don't know why I didn't think of this before but.. yep, no 10% discount. And of course, no $5 coupon.

If they do adjust used prices to offset pro going away tonight would be the most likely candidate for drops. it would be really interesting if someone could scrape used game prices today and see if prices actually get adjusted in any kind of meaningful way.

"GsDave" was not a gamestop employee. Nothing that he says represents gamestop. He is a maniac obsessed with CAG who originally used the handle "iamthecheapestgamer" (iatcg) years ago until he was banned and keeps returning once or twice a week under different accounts, posts different forms of the same routine, and gets quickly banned and deleted from the site. You need to be fast to catch him these days because the moderators remove him swiftly.

Why he resurfaced as Dave, with that particular character, is anyone's guess. But his latest iterations seem to mix elements of that role with his traditional, douchey self. He hasn't been trying as hard to not be obvious about it of late. Previously he would impersonate a fully-functioning human being for a few posts but eventually break down into his traditional tropes before long. He's easy to spot, though, once you recognize his tells.

Come to think of it, it's been a few days. He should be here soon.

Add : It would be entertaining if it didn't confuse so many people who don't realize what's going on. And I've got to imagine he's become a significant nuisance to whomever moderates the forums.
Is he CheapestGamer on SD? the one with the CAG from Romeo signature at the bottom of the page?

Wow this company really doesn't want anyone to shop there. Reward points went from 12000 to 18000 back to 11000 up to 19000 to 21900 and now back to 15500. All in 2 days. Was told sign up for new pro as my old expired in January, preowned supposed to be lowered due to no more % off. Nope another lie. Went to cash out some switch games and was told we don't have cash and haven't had cash for a week. WTF how can you even be open? If they had a magazine stand I would have knocked it over and hit them with the old glitterbomb! Now 17130. What a bunch of garbage. 

Values tanked for 2 straight days...can't remember the last time that happened.

On Thursday Madden 20 base was 20, then 17 yesterday, now 15.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before but.. yep, no 10% discount. And of course, no $5 coupon.
Yeah, sorry. That was the spill from the store associate. I didn't believe anything she said to me as true. I mean still getting 10% up to Spring 2020 - when is Spring 2020? I told her it was over yesterday on 1/16 and she refer me to the pamphlet like a robot. I'll wait until 2/1 to see if I have a $5 reward on my active offer. I'm not preordering or buying anything from GS until then. I get 5% off all Best Buy items from my credit card (up to $2000 per quarter) so I'll live.

So with CSAC, want to double check on limits. I am currently at 0 in past 30, so I have a fresh base to work with.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the limit 500/2000 is a combo of cash/trade combined. So I should be able do 250cash/1k credit and be good, right?

They should be trying to save themselves but alienating your top customer base may not be the best way to go about it.
CAG is farrrrr from their top customer base. This community has an attitude a lot of times that these companies need us and should make zero or less profit to keep us shopping with them. They don't want or need us. We're bottom feeders. No company is going to stay in business by selling things at zero markup (GCU) or from people (wisely, I'm not hating) buying things and then selling them back for more than they paid.

One person already made the joking observation that they'd do better if we didn't shop there, and that's not really a joke.

They don't want deal hunters. They want the kind of people that walk into a store and pay MSRP for an item despite it being on sale at 3 other places, and then come trade it back in for a small fraction of what they paid despite being able to sell it themselves for more at 3 other places. And these people exist. I see them all the time when I'm out and about.

damn, you are right. preparing for the extra $5? kingdom hearts and tropico 6 for ps4 have both lost $6 in the last 2 days. at least right now it doesnt look like they have hit the barely above $2 games.

CAG is farrrrr from their top customer base. This community has an attitude a lot of times that these companies need us and should make zero or less profit to keep us shopping with them. They don't want or need us. We're bottom feeders. No company is going to stay in business by selling things at zero markup (GCU) or from people (wisely, I'm not hating) buying things and then selling them back for more than they paid.

One person already made the joking observation that they'd do better if we didn't shop there, and that's not really a joke.

They don't want deal hunters. They want the kind of people that walk into a store and pay MSRP for an item despite it being on sale at 3 other places, and then come trade it back in for a small fraction of what they paid despite being able to sell it themselves for more at 3 other places. And these people exist. I see them all the time when I'm out and about.
Not that I was talking specifically about CAG...

When I say their top customer base, I mean those people that signed up for Pro and Elite Pro specifically for the 10% - 20% discount, something they actively advertise and use to sell PUR accounts.

The customers who do buy their products online despite having Amazon, Walmart and Target that offer cheaper online options.

The customers that actively trade in (you know, providing them with the inventory that makes them their most money). Assuming trades don't go up (to counter balance the fact that there is no more membership bonuses), you can expect less trades per store. Doesn't help that trade values are currently in a decline after they took away the benefits of Pro / Elite Pro. It has only been two days though so maybe they'll stick their word and keep those trades competitive as well as their used prices though they have no reason to (competition with other retailers for used and trade values that is).

Again, I'm not saying Gamestop is going under, but they are doing the same thing that other failing stores did right before their downfall in an attempt to save money when they are going to lose more from those customers that have no reason to shop there anymore especially when compared to other retailers that offer more.

Buy 2 Get 1 Free is coming tomorrow. They have to ensure that no one can hit their new COL 2020 goals so they can fire more employees and hire new one's in at a lower hourly pay. It's easier to train someone new that doesn't know any better than to try to teach an old dog new tricks who knows its wrong what they're doing as a business model.

So with CSAC, want to double check on limits. I am currently at 0 in past 30, so I have a fresh base to work with.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the limit 500/2000 is a combo of cash/trade combined. So I should be able do 250cash/1k credit and be good, right?
They are separate. It's 500/2000, no weird math involved.

Wow this company really doesn't want anyone to shop there. Reward points went from 12000 to 18000 back to 11000 up to 19000 to 21900 and now back to 15500. All in 2 days. Was told sign up for new pro as my old expired in January, preowned supposed to be lowered due to no more % off. Nope another lie. Went to cash out some switch games and was told we don't have cash and haven't had cash for a week. WTF how can you even be open? If they had a magazine stand I would have knocked it over and hit them with the old glitterbomb! Now 17130. What a bunch of garbage.
Their points system is really messed up now. The other day I lost 4000 points and I contacted them by email. They replaced my points and I earned some more points and cashed out right away. Now today I'm at -3245 points, that's right, negative. I would say cash out your points as soon as you can.

Spoke too soon, now it's at -4316.

Show of hands: How many of us have been in a Gamestop when someone trading in or buying a used game have been told about Pro/Elite and how it'll give/save them more money if they join and the person declined and traded in/bought the used game. Oh, all of us? Just as I thought. Carry on. 

Show of hands: How many of us have been in a Gamestop when someone trading in or buying a used game have been told about Pro/Elite and how it'll give/save them more money if they join and the person declined and traded in/bought the used game. Oh, all of us? Just as I thought. Carry on.
It's the worst when they catch someone to sign up and there is a long line because they take 10 minutes just for them to sign up and get their info for the Game Informer magazine.

I'm honestly just baffled at the number of issues I'm having with GS right now... and that I can't get a single one resolved even after being on hold for an hour and then being told it would be addressed. 

The new Pro program would be even less of an incentive if I were a casual gamer. Getting a supposed $5 a month is almost the cost of gas for most people, and I can see Best Buy ramping up their $10 preorder rewards like they’re doing with Animal Crossing. That and Walmart consistently having new releases for $50 at launch seems like such a stupid move for Gamestop to do what they did...but this should surprise no one.

It’ll be interesting to see what the GS financials do this year...

When they did the $5 trade-in/preorder promo last time, didn't it require a preorder for each game you wanted a bonus on? Or did one preorder get you the bonus on every game? I remember being inconvenienced but not sure.

If they do adjust used prices to offset pro going away tonight would be the most likely candidate for drops. it would be really interesting if someone could scrape used game prices today and see if prices actually get adjusted in any kind of meaningful way.
I just realized the other day that there is no chance of this happening. Why would they drop the used prices for everyone when they required a $14.99/year membership for them before? Just another bullshit Koolaid-drinking lie.

When they did the $5 trade-in/preorder promo last time, didn't it require a preorder for each game you wanted a bonus on? Or did one preorder get you the bonus on every game? I remember being inconvenienced but not sure.

I just realized the other day that there is no chance of this happening. Why would they drop the used prices for everyone when they required a $14.99/year membership for them before? Just another bullshit Koolaid-drinking lie.
So the last $5 trade in bonus both switch games and the promotion before that when it was ps4 and xbone you didn’t have to preorder any games to get the bonus. Just bring in the games with a $2 TIV or higher and you were good. At least for me it was and I did multiple trades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone gone through the elite subscription refund process, yet?
I've called customer care, they said they couldn't but gave me the corporate number. Corporate said they could cancel but couldn't process the refund, a store would?!? They didn't know how though...

Then I called my home store and there is nothing in their pamphlet about cancelling so he called their support this morning and they said they aren't doing refunds. The 10 dollar coupon was the "refund" lol.

I'm about to call corporate again...

So the last $5 trade in bonus both switch games and the promotion before that when it was ps4 and xbone you didn’t have to preorder any games to get the bonus. Just bring in the games with a $2 TIV or higher and you were good. At least for me it was and I did multiple trades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yeah, the preorder requirement is new

I've called customer care, they said they couldn't but gave me the corporate number. Corporate said they could cancel but couldn't process the refund, a store would?!? They didn't know how though...

Then I called my home store and there is nothing in their pamphlet about cancelling so he called their support this morning and they said they aren't doing refunds. The 10 dollar coupon was the "refund" lol.

So basically anyone who stacked Elite for years got screwed out of $30/year.

Picked up a ton of used games that were 80% off at a closing store today in preparation for the $5 bonus. I don’t have a massive amount of credit like some of you guys, just $150~ so I spent it all on 38 games, most with $4+ values some $2-3 values though, hopefully all the values don’t tank below $2

That was supposed to be the refund? $10 coupon for a $30 program (in my case $60 since I have 2 years left). That's bullshit. I might just go ahead and abuse some multiple trades and cash out to get some of my money back since I could always make a new account if they aren't going to give us back our money.

lol. It literally says you can get a refund in their new terms of service.

Sucks seeing GameStop go down under. I told you guys that renewing your Elite pro/pro past 2020 wasn't a smart move.

This thread is more like the "was anyone successful cancelling their account/where is my $5 monthly coupon thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back