2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you re-read closely, I said I was forced to. As in the store manager was there making sure his employee was making me spent the entire $5 bonus amount on preorders because that was the way he interpreted the promo. I attempted to argue many times as it clearly would have rung me out without issue but decided I wasn’t going to get that many games reinspected and thankfully his interpretation was only the $5 bonus needed to be spent, not the base TIV (yea... don’t ask me how he arrived to those restrictions) so I did get a good chunk on a card. Lesson learned: trade in at your home store where everybody knows your name!

Some stores are shittier than others. Most just let you do $5 on one game, or even better, just stack ANOTHER $5 on a game you already have pre-ordered. Which 100% works.

I say most, because I did have the misfortune of finding a location that had a "store policy", where each game traded for the $5 trigger must be a new pre-order.

I stood my ground, telling the person to just put $5 on the game I chose and see what happens. After I was ready to walk out, the employee put the deposit, and volla! Major price bump, to the tune of $200. They "acted" dumbfounded, maybe they were (but probably not, I think it was a SL at this location - the GA's I know are super cool and wouldn't pull this crap.)

I went back again, but this time, as soon as I walked up, I just had my card out for them to scan, then said "I'd like to put $5 on <existing game I already pre-ordered>". When they finished that I lift up my bag, and indicated that I'd like to also trade these in for store credit.

The trade prices all come up correctly, without the pre-order BS.

I think I personally like my solution. Walk up, show card (or give phone #), pre-order FIRST, then trade shit in. Works better, IMO.

If a store makes me pre-order 20 games .. I'm not spending $1k to complete the order, you're nuts.
I think maybe they've been told that this is the way the promo is supposed to work. The guy at my local store that usually knows what hes talking about told me that was how it was going to work tonight when I went in. But lo and behold when we went to the register and tried it, it still worked the old way. He was surprised, and said as long as the computer allows it, he has no issue with it. I traded in 15 games with only $5 on Cyberpunk.

Anyone know if I could use a $5 preowned cert with the monthly pro cert? I have enough points to get it but there wouldn't be much point getting it now if they wouldn't stack.

It's not that confusing. The people who signed up for the new Pro got their $5 coupon without issue. Old Pro members don't get anything until February since the coupons are sent out in the beginning of each month, and old Pro wasn't killed until the 16th. Wait until Feb.
Except when you receive an email stating you will get a coupon in January and their site says starting In January. February isn’t January.

I'm only buying games that will most likely hold their value. How do you guys see bloodstained for the switch holding up?
At 20 bucks it is highly tempting but won't play it till at least a year

Except when you receive an email stating you will get a coupon in January and their site says starting In January. February isn’t January.
Except you're here and what you're talking about has already been discussed to death. You already know GS's promotions don't always run the way they're marketed. For example, the $5 trade-in bonus works for all games and not just current-gen games like is advertised on the website. So why are you taking a mass-marketed email as gospel when you already know how it works - did you get temporary amnesia?

I'm only buying games that will most likely hold their value. How do you guys see bloodstained for the switch holding up?
At 20 bucks it is highly tempting but won't play it till at least a year
It'll probably remain about the same. A year from now that game will probably still be $20 new and it'll probably trade in for $7.

Except you're here and what you're talking about has already been discussed to death. You already know GS's promotions don't always run the way they're marketed. For example, the $5 trade-in bonus works for all games and not just current-gen games like is advertised on the website. So why are you taking a mass-marketed email as gospel when you already know how it works - did you get temporary amnesia?
That makes little sense. Yes, I am here and have skimmed the comments (this is page 505 of a larger thread, fyi). But if I wasn't and there are thousands upon thousands of people that have a program with Gamestop that have never heard of this site. So what about them? Their communication, from Gamestop keep in mind, was an email saying they get it. When you log onto their site, they say you get it in January. Common sense would be that if they remove the 10% discount, the coupon should arrive at the same time rather than have an unexplained gap, for a program that is paid for.

I am not concerned with a $5 coupon between today and Feb 1st, to be fair. However, you cannot state the program isn't confusing when the only communication that has come from them has contradicted reality.

So I renewed power up rewards in store but when I login to my account it still gives me the option to renew/I'm not 100% sure if the accounts are tied or not (maybe store associate entered wrong email?). Anyone have experience with this, is there some lag before site updates? 

Has anyone confirmed that the trade bonus can be used for pre ordering digital games? 

Right now its a 3 way tie between Animal Crossing, RE3, and the sword/shield expansion for me

Typical GameStop. Got the ‘Geekly ad’ this morning and at the top it says my monthly $5 certificate is available. Checked my active offers, nothing.

That makes little sense. Yes, I am here and have skimmed the comments (this is page 505 of a larger thread, fyi). But if I wasn't and there are thousands upon thousands of people that have a program with Gamestop that have never heard of this site. So what about them? Their communication, from Gamestop keep in mind, was an email saying they get it. When you log onto their site, they say you get it in January. Common sense would be that if they remove the 10% discount, the coupon should arrive at the same time rather than have an unexplained gap, for a program that is paid for.

I am not concerned with a $5 coupon between today and Feb 1st, to be fair. However, you cannot state the program isn't confusing when the only communication that has come from them has contradicted reality.
I don't know what to tell you. You're aware of how the new program works, don't seem to have any issue with it, but you're worried about people who might not be as informed as you? Well, old Pro members would have to be at least partway through their memberships, so a prorated refund would only be $5-10 - I can't see many people missing that or willing to chase a refund. And if they're infrequent GS shoppers, then they would actually benefit more from the change since they would have previously had to spend or trade $50 in preowned products every month to save $5 under the old membership.

The details aren't clear yet and no one except GS management knows exactly how everything is supposed to work. Like, are the monthly coupons supposed to work on digital currency? It doesn't work on most of them, and common sense would dictate that GS shouldn't allow it to work on something they make no profit* on in the first place. But some employees will do an override.

There's a pilot program GS is doing where the trade-in values are less in-store than the listed values on the website or app. If an informed customer mentions it, the store will honor the listed value. If they're not informed customers, then they have to decide if the quote they receive in-store is satisfactory or not.

I'm sure the overwhelming majority of Pro members aren't even aware that Game Informer has been reduced to being published 10 times a year instead of 12. So what can we do that about that? Are we getting ripped off? A little. And they're also working to add an autorenewal option for the membership. Maybe the default selection will have it on, and that'll be bad for people who paid for their membership with a debit or credit card. Terms are always subject to change.

*literally pennies

I don't know what to tell you. You're aware of how the new program works, don't seem to have any issue with it, but you're worried about people who might not be as informed as you? Well, old Pro members would have to be at least partway through their memberships, so a prorated refund would only be $5-10 - I can't see many people missing that or willing to chase a refund. And if they're infrequent GS shoppers, then they would actually benefit more from the change since they would have previously had to spend or trade $50 in preowned products every month to save $5 under the old membership.

The details aren't clear yet and no one except GS management knows exactly how everything is supposed to work. Like, are the monthly coupons supposed to work on digital currency? It doesn't work on most of them, and common sense would dictate that GS shouldn't allow it to work on something they make no profit* on in the first place. But some employees will do an override.

There's a pilot program GS is doing where the trade-in values are less in-store than the listed values on the website or app. If an informed customer mentions it, the store will honor the listed value. If they're not informed customers, then they have to decide if the quote they receive in-store is satisfactory or not.

I'm sure the overwhelming majority of Pro members aren't even aware that Game Informer has been reduced to being published 10 times a year instead of 12. So what can we do that about that? Are we getting ripped off? A little. And they're also working to add an autorenewal option for the membership. Maybe the default selection will have it on, and that'll be bad for people who paid for their membership with a debit or credit card. Terms are always subject to change.

*literally pennies
I'm not worried. I'm correcting you acting like everyone who is a Gamestop customer knows what is going on. I was pointing out the inaccuracy of that statement.

In addition, if "the details aren't clear yet and no one except GS management knows exactly how everything is supposed to work" is accurate, then clearly there is confusion.

I'll go about my day and let you keep assuming that every Gamestop customer reads this site, reads every post here, ignores the contradiction direct from the source (Gamestop), and therefore cannot be confused because you figured it out.

*literally pennies
Who cares that it isn't that much money (though that depends on who you're talking to). It's your money. You paid for that program and those features. Why would you be ok with Gamestop taking any of your money which among their customers, adds up to millions of dollars taken.

Gamestop last reported that 55+ million people are PUR members. Even if only half of that were Pro / Elite Pro members (at 27.5+ million) and they lose out on the $15/year they don't get back, that's 4 billion 412+ million dollars that Gamestop gets from downgrading you and you either not getting a refund or not knowing about receiving your money back.

http://news.gamestop.com/fact-sheet-0

But it's your money, if you're ok with Gamestop screwing you over, so be it.

Gamestop last reported that 55+ million people are PUR members. Even if only half of that were Pro / Elite Pro members (at 27.5+ million) and they lose out on the $15/year they don't get back, that's 4 billion dollars ...
Is that GameStop math?

Who cares that it isn't that much money (though that depends on who you're talking to). It's your money. You paid for that program and those features. Why would you be ok with Gamestop taking any of your money which among their customers, adds up to millions of dollars taken.

Gamestop last reported that 55+ million people are PUR members. Even if only half of that were Pro / Elite Pro members (at 27.5+ million) and they lose out on the $15/year they don't get back, that's 4 billion dollars that Gamestop gets from downgrading you and you either not getting a refund or not knowing about receiving your money back.

They killed the value of the PUR Membership for me when they took away the perks. Honestly taking away Elite did it for me, but I went ahead and renewed for the Pro when they did away with Elite last year because it still gave me the 10% off used and 10% extra trade bonus, but now that is gone so the membership no longer has any real value for me to want to continue it.

Gamestop last reported that 55+ million people are PUR members. Even if only half of that were Pro / Elite Pro members (at 27.5+ million) and they lose out on the $15/year they don't get back, that's 4 billion 412+ million dollars that Gamestop gets from downgrading you and you either not getting a refund or not knowing about receiving your money back.

I don't want to hear that from someone who's cleared out three closing stores in their area. Their incompetence has benefitted us for years, and many of us raked in hundreds or even thousands in profits. If GS took your $15 and ran with it, you still came out way ahead. The terms clearly state "No resellers", but that didn't stop us, did it?

Their incompetence has benefitted us for years, and many of us raked in hundreds or even thousands in profits.
I like playing the CAG game because to me it’s a hobby to get stuff for (essentially) free. Stuff I saved up for as a kid to buy one game a year for. It keeps me from spending money on a more expensive hobby but overall in the big picture of life, a few thousand here or there means nothing. The recent stock market swings and decisions I make (or more commonly don’t make) have far more financial effect than anything I could possibly accumulate in flipping or caggin it up here. Still kicking myself for missing the BYND ipo early last year

I like playing the CAG game because to me it’s a hobby to get stuff for (essentially) free. Stuff I saved up for as a kid to buy one game a year for. It keeps me from spending money on a more expensive hobby but overall in the big picture of life, a few thousand here or there means nothing. The recent stock market swings and decisions I make (or more commonly don’t make) have far more financial effect than anything I could possibly accumulate in flipping or caggin it up here. Still kicking myself for missing the BYND ipo early last year
I jumped on GORO and JNUG this summer and boy am I loving gold right now.

I was officially banned from GameStop property after making off with around 10k in credit. The district manager informed me that my activities from my “flip scams” were fraudulent and illegal. He said his loss prevention and legal team were aware of my “fraudulent” activities. The conversation ended before I was able to engage him in conversation anymore and I was forced to leave.

What are the chances GameStop comes at me with legal percussions? What are my options?

I don't want to hear that from someone who's cleared out three closing stores in their area. Their incompetence has benefitted us for years, and many of us raked in hundreds or even thousands in profits. If GS took your $15 and ran with it, you still came out way ahead. The terms clearly state "No resellers", but that didn't stop us, did it?
Good point, though I don't think it's bad to use a program they put out. It's odd that if you use their service, abide by their terms and policy, that you appear to be a villain.

It's not wrong to buy items from them under a program they have, it's not wrong to trade in products within their own limits, it's not wrong to pay for their program and utility the benefits they offer.

Sure we have all benefited in some way from Gamestop. Not sure why that means it's ok for Gamestop to take your money because you used their services more than the next customer.

I was officially banned from GameStop property after making off with around 10k in credit. The district manager informed me that my activities from my “flip scams” were fraudulent and illegal. He said his loss prevention and legal team were aware of my “fraudulent” activities. The conversation ended before I was able to engage him in conversation anymore and I was forced to leave.

What are the chances GameStop comes at me with legal percussions? What are my options?
Zero. Just a scare tactic.

Sounds like a scare tactic and he knows they can't really do anything about it. They can ban you from going to individual stores though but I wouldn't worry about any legal issue unless they have proof of you stealing the items to trade. Assuming you didn't steal those items, you should be good.

Do you know if you still have that 10k credit or did they wipe your account?

Slim. They are already bleeding money

Think we need more context - source of games, # of stores, transactions per store, across what # of days, cash / credit ratio, etc.

Just a heads up. A few games dropped to $9.99 pre-owned today making them qualify now for the 4 for $20, like xb1 Indivisible and xb1 Wolfenstein 2. [attachment=33620:IMG_20200129_181440.jpg][attachment=33621:IMG_20200129_181407.jpg]

I cashed out everything before they banned me and whipped out my account. It was across six stores over the course of 4 weeks. I never traded anything in for cash also.

I cashed out everything before they banned me and whipped out my account. It was across six stores over the course of 4 weeks. I never traded anything in for cash also.
Idiot. 10K in trade ins within 4 weeks and only between 6 stores? I take it you’re not in an area that requires ID for trades.

No I’m not an ID area. Nothing was stolen. It was literally just abusing the trade in system. Using multiple accounts. The employees informed me also that was I was doing was ok by them and it was boosting their numbers. They said it was just a flaw in the system and it’s up to me.

Odd situation. Sounds like they were happy with it since it heavily boosted their numbers but the DM was suspicious at the jump in numbers. Corporate probably got involved and was asking what's up with these multiple people now trading in so much items. 

Doesn't help that you were circumventing the trade limits by having multiple accounts.

I'm impressed with what you did and that you got away with it but I understand the DM banning you from their stores. At least you got the money from the trades and can likely just go to other stores (not the 6) and start trading in again in some weeks / months.

It’s very odd yes. I am 30 minutes away from another district. I could go there because the employees I’m friends with informed me as to do so. However for now I’m backing off.

What did u do

Just a heads up. A few games dropped to $9.99 pre-owned today making them qualify now for the 4 for $20, like xb1 Indivisible and xb1 Wolfenstein 2.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20200129_181440.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20200129_181407.jpg
I have no idea what GS's next play of action is. But thanks!

Just a heads up. A few games dropped to $9.99 pre-owned today making them qualify now for the 4 for $20, like xb1 Indivisible and xb1 Wolfenstein 2.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20200129_181440.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20200129_181407.jpg
I picked up a lot of these today. I'd also add Sudden Strike Collection on XBOX One.

I can't believe Trine 4 is already down to $4.99. Its a really good games assuming you like the others. I guess maybe its just because theres no point in buying it standalone when you can get the whole collection for pretty cheap, which is what I did.

Yeah I rather not post receipts just in case ... it did happen though ... kinda sucks because I do like shopping at GameStop. But yeah I should have done it a lot better than over 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back