2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamestop's insistence earlier in the week that they will stay open, saying they are "essential retail" because they sell PC components (gaming mice and keyboards) really backfired on them. In addition to most of their stores being closed now,  their business license has been suspended in Pennsylvania. 

New question being - how useless are the online coupons in the powerup rewards center? Do they actually work? Assuming the website works anyway...

For those that have ordered PSN Cards/XBox currency/eShop etc off the website with trade credit, has there been any issues? I am just weary I guess of their website working correctly and I don't want my credit to be wasted and spend hours trying to retrieve it.

Do they just email you the codes for whatever currency you are purchasing?

For those that have ordered PSN Cards/XBox currency/eShop etc off the website with trade credit, has there been any issues? I am just weary I guess of their website working correctly and I don't want my credit to be wasted and spend hours trying to retrieve it.

I ordered some last week, xbox credit, codes showed instantly on order confirmation page and were sent via email.

Maybe we can get Camelot to make a video on how none of us can get our pre-orders, since he is so helpful.

Is there not a way to delete posts you make in CAG forums? Literally made a mistake double post just now... I just searched for about 10 minutes and can't find a way to delete this post, Only edit it.

If somebody could inform me how to delete mistake replies that would be excellent, and also you can delete this post.

switch are selling like pancake here in bay area. sold 2 of my switch v1 for $250 each. one has scratches and one is missing a kickstand but both complete with everything

switch are selling like pancake here in bay area. sold 2 of my switch v1 for $250 each. one has scratches and one is missing a kickstand but both complete with everything
Reminds me of how stupid people are in the bay. Buying used shit during a fucking virus pandemic.

Reminds me of how stupid people are in the bay. Buying used shit during a fucking virus pandemic.
Hey! I resemble that remark.

I also have cash tied up in GS preorders...a whopping $45. But "45 dollas is 45 dollas."

I had a chance to pick up my pre-ordered copy of RBI Baseball on the Switch, and even after all this, I'm still ok with not picking up that particular game.

I called my local Gamestop and the employee on the phone said I could use my pro $5 rewards for the month on any item I could add to the cart on the website for a curb-side pickup. I just tried doing that and the website says the code is not valid to use online. Go figure.
Sorry man, it amazes me how clueless they can be. The employees on the subreddit SWEAR you can do this too, and anyone that says you can't is getting downvoted.

Gamestop's insistence earlier in the week that they will stay open, saying they are "essential retail" because they sell PC components (gaming mice and keyboards) really backfired on them. In addition to most of their stores being closed now, their business license has been suspended in Pennsylvania.
Backfired? Stores were pulling in Xmas level sales. I sat in the parking lot until the store emptied yesterday, and people just kept pulling up. Their online ordering took a shit today because of the high amount of orders. The people that actually shop at GameStop don't give a shit. As soon as the stores closed, all anyone is concerned about is their preorder deposit. Everyone you see online that swears off GameStop, already stopped shopping at GameStop.

False. Just fake news perpetuated on reddit because someone (most likely a disgruntled GS worker) self-made a sign, basically posing as the government so they didn’t have to work. I don’t blame them, but GameStop 100% did not lose their business license in PA.

https://www.dualshockers.com/gamestop-closed-pennsylvania-coronavirus/
I've seen pictures of 3 different GameStops with 2 different variations of that notice, but it doesn't look like any official violation/closure sign I've ever seen. GameStop says their permit wasn't suspended, and Governor Tom Wolf says enforcement of the shutdown won't being until 8am Monday, so I don't know why the state would've pulled their permit like that to begin with. I have to agree, it does seem like a group of employees that said "fuck this shit" and threw it up for their safety.

Edit: I see the original enforcement was supposed to start Saturday at 12:01am, but the extension was already announced on Friday ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My kid just called me a horrible father because they can’t get there game at GameStop, and I said when I was there age I would walk up a mile hill each and everyday to school, now they don’t have school, and they still complain?

All my AC switches/parts got bid up to exorbitant prices. Definitely regret setting the first system for buyitnow. Was planning to keep one system for the kids, but not at these prices... (i am a horrible father/person)

Don't plan on going back to GS until trade-ins are allowed again + promo. I'd imagine they will be OOS of a lot of titles at the end of this. 

Also, liquor stores are considered "Essential". If the internet didn't exist, I'd say Gamestop would be too!  :p

So I assume any current stores that were in the process of closing are now closed for good? Are they just gonna ship the store merchandise to the warehouse? Glad I got one final haul from one of mine if that is the case.

False. Just fake news perpetuated on reddit because someone (most likely a disgruntled GS worker) self-made a sign, basically posing as the government so they didn’t have to work. I don’t blame them, but GameStop 100% did not lose their business license in PA.

https://www.dualshockers.com/gamestop-closed-pennsylvania-coronavirus/
I know nothing about the disagreement here, but the use of "false" and the avatar makes it really hard not to read this comment in Dwight's voice, and it's cracking me up

Netflix was emailed to me shortly after ordering. PSN and Eshop were instant.

Be wary of limits...i’m getting transaction declined after $200 netflix, $99 eshop, and $100 PSN

All my AC switches/parts got bid up to exorbitant prices. Definitely regret setting the first system for buyitnow. Was planning to keep one system for the kids, but not at these prices... (i am a horrible father/person)

Don't plan on going back to GS until trade-ins are allowed again + promo. I'd imagine they will be OOS of a lot of titles at the end of this.

Also, liquor stores are considered "Essential". If the internet didn't exist, I'd say Gamestop would be too! :p
My wife and I had stocked up on our nightcap scotch. We have a 5 and 2 yr old and I would challenge anyone that thinks taking the edge off in these quarantine times isn’t essential after a long day in our personal funny farm (no complaints...just my two cents)

I also bough animal crossing digitally and that is swell :)

Cashed out the rest of my gamestop gc for Xbox gc just in case. Still sitting on 4 pairs of Division 2 so if Gamestop does open back up i'll be ready.

I ordered $210 of psn credit with trade credit on Saturday and didn't have any issues.

I just cashed out $100 of trade in credit for Xbox credit. I did it in 2 separate transactions. The code will show up right when you hit place order, on receipt.

Getting an email announcing their new Delivery@Door initiative, I thought they were about to institute a game delivery service, akin to pizza delivery. But, no, it's just referring to the "We'll meet you at the entrance to our otherwise-closed store" offer.

With a (much) better functioning website, game delivery would have been an interesting concept, especially with gas being so cheap right now. Minimum 25 dollar purchase. They've already agreed to pay their employees, so they could just keep them actually working, now as delivery drivers or game pickers and cleaners (definitely gotta give each case a quick disinfecting before sending it out).

It definitely wouldn't be a sensible decision by normal corporate "the shareholder is king" logic, but, again, you're paying the employees anyway.

Thought experiment. Someone needs to make rambling posts with Chakius gone.

So does anyone know what’s going on with closing stores? They were supposed to close end of month, but if GameStops are closed to foot traffic, and you can order from those stores online, are they just closed now?

How do I apply my AC $10 cert online?  I've tried the promo box and the gift card box...nothing.  Guessing I can't?  So how am I supposed to redeem it now... It expires 4/8

Ugh...have like $540 in credit (was saving for PS5). Since Amazon cards aren't available anymore, should I just convert to PSN credit?
Do you guys really think this is going to kill Gamestop?

They have theur giant storefront plan that I just think they'd hold on through this year at least

Do you guys really think this is going to kill Gamestop?

They have theur giant storefront plan that I just think they'd hold on through this year at least
It's more of pre-ordering anything that I'm concerned about. If the market is this unstable prior to being shut down (physically) due to COVID-19, along with hardware limitations across seas, is GS even going to be able to fulfill any pre-orders made? If you pre-order something, and any bankruptcy procedures are filed, the odds of you getting the item (moreso your money back) are practically nil as you'd be the third creditor party owed. I believe at a Chapter 7 they are able to void any outstanding gift cards as well.

I hope GameStop stays closed...forever.
Yes...less competition is always best for the consumer. :roll:

Better (IMO) would be to do a proper valuation of their current worth (liquidity, property, physical assets), separate itself from ThinkGeek (sell it), and get a new CEO with a better direction (less physical footprints [consolidate store locations], more competitive consumer-driven target, confidence to spark partnership with major console companies for digital futures). Focus on the small to medium growth instead of a large explosion, as we see what that leads to. Get out of the phone business...it reminds me of when specific retailers start to sell appliances to save/expand their market. Sure, it might mean a complete rebranding, but better to have a chance at one thing rather everything fail.

Stick with what you know and do it damn well.

They haven't been able to focus on just that part since EB Games was around.

Better (IMO) would be to do a proper valuation of their current worth (liquidity, property, physical assets), separate itself from ThinkGeek (sell it), and get a new CEO with a better direction (less physical footprints [consolidate store locations], more competitive consumer-driven target, confidence to spark partnership with major console companies for digital futures). Focus on the small to medium growth instead of a large explosion, as we see what that leads to. Get out of the phone business...it reminds me of when specific retailers start to sell appliances to save/expand their market. Sure, it might mean a complete rebranding, but better to have a chance at one thing rather everything fail.

They just got a new CEO a little less than a year ago

They just got a new CEO a little less than a year ago
And obviously he has no clue what he's doing. Stock price for him coming in was around $11.75 (now $3.60) with no positive changes implemented. Changing the PUR, staying open as "essential business" during this outbreak, over-pressuring for phone purchases at checkout...his world prior was Best Buy, Target, Home Depot and Advanced Auto Parts. All retailers that focus on multiple avenues of sales. Gamestop should be specifically ONE focused avenue of sales. They aren't the next Best Buy. Are they going to try and sell washers and dryers next? Cut your losses and find someone better. It happens all the time. Hell, see if Reggie wants to do it instead of just being on the board.

*Edit* Sorry this has gotten off topic. Still debating what to do with my GC money and ranted.

I like your idea but think they should pivot to be a consumer service focused store. Keep with pre-orders but relax with them, stop with PUR, have a free membership that has points/encourages people to visit daily through daily deals, but otherwise is much less in your face. Change to a sorta game focused Half Price Books style model where its people who are interested in helping you find whatever it is that you want, and stock stores with more retro stuff to give the allusion that they are the go-to place for all things gaming.

Maybe add board games, table top games as something you can buy, but tone down the clothes/toys a bit too.

I'm just joshing around. I don't care if GameStop stays open or closed. I just know that almost every interaction I've had with GameStop over the years has been irritating, online and in store.

Called and got 10,000 points for not receiving the cert for AC, as well as getting my certs refunded. Took less than 20 minutes from the time I called. What are the restrictions for the online reward certificates (I haven't ever needed to redeem them but with the stores closed here, I have no choice)?

What are the restrictions for the online reward certificates (I haven't ever needed to redeem them but with the stores closed here, I have no choice)?
Can't use online rewards on anything digital. I've stacked two rewards ($25 and $15) on a single purchase. Total must exceed $35 after all rewards to be eligible for free shipping.

I'm holding out for another week and will request April's $5 Pro reward in points. I'll probably get a Switch Pro Controller (isn't the best value since it's $10 cheaper elsewhere) as it's likely to hold its value better than most other items that are eligible.

I like your idea but think they should pivot to be a consumer service focused store. Keep with pre-orders but relax with them, stop with PUR, have a free membership that has points/encourages people to visit daily through daily deals, but otherwise is much less in your face. Change to a sorta game focused Half Price Books style model where its people who are interested in helping you find whatever it is that you want, and stock stores with more retro stuff to give the allusion that they are the go-to place for all things gaming.

Maybe add board games, table top games as something you can buy, but tone down the clothes/toys a bit too.
HPB is a good model. As much as physical books may or may not be getting phased out, HPB seems to be able to thrive in that environment -- similar to Gamestop's situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back