2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I am late to the party, does everyone plan on dumping their trade credit after the announcement of 300 stores closing? I have about $160 in credit. I was going to save it for the last of us 2, but maybe I should just burn it all for PSN/XBL/Eshop cards online.
I don't think it's any particular reason to dump your credit. We've known about the closings for a while, and while 300+ sounds like a lot it's not even 10% of their store totals. Presumably the majority of these closings are Gamestops that are too close to each other, remnants from the EB Games buyout when business was really good, which have become pointless self-competition now.

I don't think there's any chance Gamestop will be closed by TLOU2 or even a bit after. Times might be tough but it's not like Gamestop is going under as a company with their closings.

I don't think it's any particular reason to dump your credit. We've known about the closings for a while, and while 300+ sounds like a lot it's not even 10% of their store totals. Presumably the majority of these closings are Gamestops that are too close to each other, remnants from the EB Games buyout when business was really good, which have become pointless self-competition now.

I don't think there's any chance Gamestop will be closed by TLOU2 or even a bit after. Times might be tough but it's not like Gamestop is going under as a company with their closings.
thanks for the advice. I don’t want it to get too heated in this thread, but 300+ stores does seem like a lot. I don’t think GameStop is as profitable as it used to be. I saw some people talking about it in this thread, but there’s no need to get into debate about it.

Pro day  sale is pretty lame. Even the $30 used dualshock deal is hard to get excited for, as it's regularly on sale for 35-40 bucks brand new several times a year.

All this negativity, let's spice it up. First one to Quote this for free code for NBA 2k19 xb1

That’s usually for a black DS4 which I’m honestly sick of at this point. This is for pretty much all varieties for $5 more. Not bad.
I also like different shells as it helps me figure out which one is which. That said, I stand by my claim of waiting for the option of $5 or $10 more for new. Who knows how long the used ones will last, assuming they work well in the first place.

Yeah I was hoping for at least b2g1 but this sale is pretty bad.
I wonder if they'd do that right now. A B2G1 would just result in their used game stock being depleted faster and given they can't take trade ins, I'm wondering if they plan to address that any time soon. There are some places that take trade-ins online (requiring you to ship games), I don't get why GS can't do something similar and have employees just wipe down the games before they actually sell them.

I just got an email about a preorder I made in a store. Since that store (and all non-essential businesses) are closed in my area, it said I can opt to have it shipped instead, and to let them know if that's what I wanted to do. But they didn't provide any kind of contact info to do so. Should I just call their standard 800 number?

I wonder if they'd do that right now. A B2G1 would just result in their used game stock being depleted faster and given they can't take trade ins, I'm wondering if they plan to address that any time soon. There are some places that take trade-ins online (requiring you to ship games), I don't get why GS can't do something similar and have employees just wipe down the games before they actually sell them.
Either way, when they do start taking in trades physically at stores again they'll probably offer some promotions to get a bunch of stock in quickly. I would imagine things are starting to run low in store and in the warehouses (on the used front).

That would require them to actually have something to disinfect games which they clearly do not have on hand right now.

I just got an email about a preorder I made in a store. Since that store (and all non-essential businesses) are closed in my area, it said I can opt to have it shipped instead, and to let them know if that's what I wanted to do. But they didn't provide any kind of contact info to do so. Should I just call their standard 800 number?
GameStop's customer service is truly garbage. Was on hold for over 3 hours today only to get hung up on. You might actually have better luck just responding to the email because they have more people working from home now.

Has anyone had the issue of their pro membership not showing up in their gamestop account? It's definitely associated with the same e-mail/ phone number. I'm hoping to avoid calling the 800 number considering everyone's wait times mentioned in this thread.

Hopefully they switch future $5 monthly coupons to 5000 PUR points instead, every month or until they can re-open stores again.

So I have 2 $5 certs I can't use, thats great. Probably mentioned here but I don't see a clear answer. Hold onto your pitchforks but how are you guys handling this?

If we were talking Best Buy, walmart, etc. I’d say when this is all over you can use them again, the sky isn’t falling.

But we are talking about a company that prior to all this was falling on hard times. I do not see them being propped up with any bailout funds that may be coming either.

I personally cashed out. I was finally able to use my TC, except for $3.91 And a few points.
They could survive, but it’s going to be a very hard road. And with what they have been doing the past two weeks... it may be an even harder road.

Workers have been told to wrap a plastic bag around one hand to protect it from exposure to the virus, open the door a crack, and take the customer’s credit card, the manager said. Employees are then to run the card with a hand still encased in the bag, flip the bag inside out, leaving the card inside, put the purchase in the bag, and hand it back through the door.

Woooow GS....

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/27/business/gamestop-employees-wrap-your-hands-plastic-bags-go-back-work/
I love that this acknowledges the large and pointless risk they're taking by claiming they're "essential" while showing that the really don't give a shit about anyone's health over money. This might help employees ever so slightly but it doesn't do a hell of a lot of the idiots doing curbside pickup.

If someone gets a used game is the employee supposed to (or allowed to) bag up while getting the case and digging through the disc drawer? Are they cleaning the card reader after every transaction? People paying with cash kind of defeat the limited touch idea here for other cash user right?

As far as application, if stores are getting a lot of pickups then they will burn through bags fast at this rate. Not a big deal, though I wonder how many are kept on hand in general. I love that someone inside the company that has to be aware of the PR shitstorm about lack of cleaning supplies and trash policies thought that this wouldn't stir up anger again.

Workers have been told to wrap a plastic bag around one hand to protect it from exposure to the virus, open the door a crack, and take the customer’s credit card, the manager said. Employees are then to run the card with a hand still encased in the bag, flip the bag inside out, leaving the card inside, put the purchase in the bag, and hand it back through the door.

Woooow GS....

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/27/business/gamestop-employees-wrap-your-hands-plastic-bags-go-back-work/
This is why I will be going fully digital until this whole thing is over. Or just playing my backlog for the next 20 years, and I really could do it.

I love that this acknowledges the large and pointless risk they're taking by claiming they're "essential" while showing that the really don't give a shit about anyone's health over money. This might help employees ever so slightly but it doesn't do a hell of a lot of the idiots doing curbside pickup.

If someone gets a used game is the employee supposed to (or allowed to) bag up while getting the case and digging through the disc drawer? Are they cleaning the card reader after every transaction? People paying with cash kind of defeat the limited touch idea here for other cash user right?

As far as application, if stores are getting a lot of pickups then they will burn through bags fast at this rate. Not a big deal, though I wonder how many are kept on hand in general. I love that someone inside the company that has to be aware of the PR shitstorm about lack of cleaning supplies and trash policies thought that this wouldn't stir up anger again.
I'm not a corona expert, but I'm pretty sure they stopped taking used games over a week ago wouldn't the virus be dead if it was on any used games?

The plastic bag thing is actually a good idea too because gloves would have to be changed after every order. I'm not defending Gamestop but they did give workers the option to stay home also.

They stopped taking in games sure, but my thought is the transmission that will likely happen from having to deal with customers regularly. The bags still don't do shit about the airborne portion of everything. Customer coughs in your face or into the store and I could see it making it onto a game. Seeing all the dumbasses that have come out of the wood work over the past month, I wouldn't expect all of these employees are taking shit seriously even know. Obviously most people likely are, but it's amazing how stubborn people are still being, just like these people actually going to the store for stuff that can likely be bought digitally.

I'm not a corona expert, but I'm pretty sure they stopped taking used games over a week ago wouldn't the virus be dead if it was on any used games?

The plastic bag thing is actually a good idea too because gloves would have to be changed after every order. I'm not defending Gamestop but they did give workers the option to stay home also.
This is what I don't get. It's detectable on surfaces for up to 3 days so couldn't they just take trade ins, let them sit somewhere for 3 days (or hell, a week) before they sell it? Trade ins could be handled contact-less like how fast food places are doing it. You get your credit on a card or whatever, use your phone to do an in store order and leave. Yes, it'll take MUCH longer to do it but it's something.

Additionally, I'm more curious as to what levels are detectable... like is it enough to actually give you the virus from simple contact (i.e., there's radiation in a lot of things but doesn't mean it's enough to give you cancer)? Or is it to the point where it's literally emanating spores where just have the box near you can infect you?

It seems like the biggest issue of this is from it being in the air from others coughing and stuff, or touch gross surfaces and then touching some part of your body where it gets into our bloodstream.

Order and pay online.
Go to store.
Call store when youre there, what type and color car youre in even your plate number.
Pop your trunk.
Gamestop employee throws your stuff in trunk. Shuts trunk. Goes inside and washes hands.
Drive home, open trunk get stuff go inside and wash your hands.

Order and pay online.
Go to store.
Call store when youre there, what type and color car youre in even your plate number.
Pop your trunk.
Gamestop employee throws your stuff in trunk. Shuts trunk. Goes inside and washes hands.
That's how Walmart does it's delivery.

Order and pay online.
Go to store.
Pop your trunk.
Drive home, open trunk, realizes that they gave you an empty case or the wrong game.

Make sure to tell them to show you the game before you leave.

More than 4 different times I have a bought a game from Gamestop and they gave me the wrong game or an empty case. After the first mistake, I would always check to make sure they gave me the right game, inside the store, before leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back