2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I've stopped buying DS games for the most part. Other old consoles you can screw apart and back together to see the circuit boards, but DS games you're out of luck. And there's some bad fakes out there but also some really good ones (especially if you don't have a known legit copy to compare).

I cheated and called dozens of stores and then had them transferred to my local store. BUT, my main point was there are cases/manuals for DS games still roaming around.
They let you do that? How much push back do you normally get?

And yeah CIB are rare but possible! Some things I've gotten CIB are Pokemon Soulsilver, Kirby Dream Collection, Fossil Fighters Champions, Pokemon Black 2, and Dokapon Journey. The first three were just lucky breaks from GameStop.com as well.

All this talk about fake Nintendo cartridges makes me paranoid about switch games being fake. Is there such a thing as switch games being faked?

Alright guys, I think I have a problem. The GS, BB, etc. sales during this whole pandemic have been insane, better than Black Friday IMO. I've spent way too much cash but I have an addiction. I'm worse than a doper at this point. But the prices are too good. Especially since I'm an old asshole who loves physical media. Please, I'm begging you GS, BB, and other retailers. Stop it. You're taking all of money. How much does everyone on here spend monthly on games? Because I'm too embarrassed to say unless someone else admits it first.
What are you buying? I'm struggling to find things I want to buy even with these steep discounts because I'm completely uninterested in collecting games that have to be downloaded, installed, or updated since the whole point of collecting physical media to me is that the game would be able to run on its own without needing the Internet, so I don't usually collect current-gen games except for Switch.

All this talk about fake Nintendo cartridges makes me paranoid about switch games being fake. Is there such a thing as switch games being faked?
Apparently people will switch the labels on them.

One guy at a now closed store near here would practically put them under a microscope. He once denied my entire trade because I had 2 copies of marvel ultimate alliance in the stack, telling me they were all fakes, then calling all the neighboring stores to warn them about me. I had bought all of the games at another store about 30 minutes earlier. They were real.

There may be a few fake switch games out in the wild, but I really doubt any through GS. It really is as simple as checking if the code on the cart art matches the one on the back of the actual cart. Anytime I've returned/traded in a switch game the employee has always checked to make sure the codes matched up.
But then again, you have some pea brained employees out there who accept PAL and NTSC-J region games, as I've seen with numerous 360 games I've received recently. Even had an employee comment on one of the PAL games I returned today WHO GAVE ME IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

What are you buying? I'm struggling to find things I want to buy even with these steep discounts because I'm completely uninterested in collecting games that have to be downloaded, installed, or updated since the whole point of collecting physical media to me is that the game would be able to run on its own without needing the Internet, so I don't usually collect current-gen games except for Switch.
Even though that may be true, it really isn't even worth worrying about. Even though a lot of games need day 1 updates now, AFAIK, almost all current gen games can be downloaded and played offline. They won't ever shutdown the download servers, especially now with them seemingly transitioning all current generations into future generations now, so you'll always be able to play your games on the newest system. Even though you have to download them, you really do still own them on your disc.

It's also just fun too. You can get A LOT of current gen games for cheap through gamestop or other places like walmart clearance, so if you pay $5 or less for these games, and for some bizarre crazy reason the downloaded servers shut down and you can't play your games for some reason, it's only 5 bucks.

One guy at a now closed store near here would practically put them under a microscope. He once denied my entire trade because I had 2 copies of marvel ultimate alliance in the stack, telling me they were all fakes, then calling all the neighboring stores to warn them about me. I had bought all of the games at another store about 30 minutes earlier. They were real.
This is how you learn what stores to avoid. Any time I run into a store with an employee like this I never return. These are called junior detectives and they're insane. They're usually never managers, they're regular employees who treat the job like they own the company. They care about it more than actual managers or district managers. They do anything they can to try to get you in trouble, look at your purchase history and report you to the manager for buying multiples, put refurb fees on discs with tiny scratches that they sold to you in the first place, claim games are fake when they're not, call other stores about you, try to prevent you from getting deals, try to make you put full credit on pre-order promotions, etc. I want someone to explain this psychology because I don't get it. They'll do anything they can to ruin your experience at the store.

There may be a few fake switch games out in the wild, but I really doubt any through GS. It really is as simple as checking if the code on the cart art matches the one on the back of the actual cart. Anytime I've returned/traded in a switch game the employee has always checked to make sure the codes matched up.
But then again, you have some pea brained employees out there who accept PAL and NTSC-J region games, as I've seen with numerous 360 games I've received recently. Even had an employee comment on one of the PAL games I returned today WHO GAVE ME IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Some employees are weird and they think that anyone who tries to return something is pulling a fast one even though the crappy condition or wrong region games came from them. One of them treated me like a criminal for returning a sealed game before and opened it in front of me "to make sure I didn't remove the disc and reseal it".

wow the order I made for the 50% off promo is arriving tomorrow.  That's incredibly fast for them.  And even weirder it's coming from maryland instead of the warehouse in texas which is where all my orders usually come from. Wonder if I will get lucky and the games will come in actual generic boxes this time. 

Just received a fake chrono trigger from GS and thought I'd post it here on how to tell it's a fake (note: this is the first fake copy I've gotten).

YMuX7qY.jpg

xTQgUFM.jpg

SF7vECg.jpg

So at this point you're probably thinking, the label looks pretty good, but why does the front say "Made in Mexico" and the back say "Made in Japan". Let's open it up and take a look...

vNfeM5u.jpg

Womp womp... the circuit board looks like shit. BTW, here's what a real copy looks like:

SV3VgOC.jpg
I've gotten a fake Chrono trigger from GameStop before. Seems to be a popular one to trade in fakes for.

The TIVs are back to bump levels again. Friday bumps are a new thing I guess.

Wow...

GS makes no sense. On one hand it's good that they bumped hundreds of games but on the other I've noticed that a few of the games that were bumped last week that I traded in have been removed completely from the trade in list. How could they be most wanted bumps one week and literally one week later removed completely? I don't understand if many of the things from GS are glitches or decisions from actual people.

With the Paper Mario 30% extra trade in, would I get the full 30% extra if I trade in games totaling more than $60? Example: Mario Party, Mario maker 2, and FH4? Thanks!

Also, I've never understood the problem with converting trade credit to money that people have. Can't you just use trade credit/a gift card for an online order and return it in store and say you used a CC and get refunded with your card?

Also, I've never understood the problem with converting trade credit to money that people have. Can't you just use trade credit/a gift card for an online order and return it in store and say you used a CC and get refunded with your card?
My stores have been calling customer service to verify type of payment

Switch 1st party up to $35 base, $45.50 with 30% boost towards Paper or Ghosts.

Wii Sports is again $15 base.

Get in before Sunday. Seems stealth bump only lasted 48hrs last weekend! Was gone by Sunday

Looks like a few 0.01 trades are at ... $2+! Might liquidate some random crap as I'm guessing the next +$5 is still going to be $3+.  :whistle2:&

How dare Mario Aces not be $35 base! 

I was in there last week during the Friday bump and had the SL looking things up for me - he pulled all the bump values. App maybe runs on PST.
I threw some stuff in my Saved Trades on the app last night, and they were the lower values. I just now reloaded the app, and values are correct across the board. Just an FYI.

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but do you get the 30% boost on all your games once it goes beyond $60? Or does it only give you 30% extra just to pay either game off? Looking to dump a bunch of games but only with the extra 30%.

And is it confirmed they're taking 3DS/Wii games? Is it just 360/PS3 that they aren't?

Even before covid, they always just ask me how I paid or how I want it back for any online returns. I have done it at a few different stores in my area and no one has ever called. I kind of assumed they could look it up a first, but after the double your money ordeal, I just assume they don't care.

Went to make another 50% $100 order this morning and the app was not doing free shipping. The browser site did free but was showing shipping free at $40, I know others have mentioned different shipping pricing but this is the first I have ever gotten it different than $35. With the app glitch, I was thinking maybe they actually changed it because I got it at $35 when I ordered yesterday.

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but do you get the 30% boost on all your games once it goes beyond $60? Or does it only give you 30% extra just to pay either game off? Looking to dump a bunch of games but only with the extra 30%.

And is it confirmed they're taking 3DS/Wii games? Is it just 360/PS3 that they aren't?
The bonus applies to every game in the transaction, even if you go well above the purchase price of a game.

Although I haven't traded a ton of games, my store said that they accept every game as long as a value shows up for it. Fingers crossed for that being the case, because I have a variety of games ready to go.

Switch 1st party up to $35 base, $45.50 with 30% boost towards Paper or Ghosts.

Wii Sports is again $15 base.

Get in before Sunday. Seems stealth bump only lasted 48hrs last weekend! Was gone by Sunday
The bump lasted for Friday only last week. It was gone Saturday morning.

The bonus applies to every game in the transaction, even if you go well above the purchase price of a game.

Although I haven't traded a ton of games, my store said that they accept every game as long as a value shows up for it. Fingers crossed for that being the case, because I have a variety of games ready to go.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I'll definitely dump some games now. Even if it's only 30%, who knows if/when theyll do another 50% and if the values would be the same.

Nintendo games across all platforms are pretty high right now. Good time to dump some impulse 3DS buys.

That's ridiculous. What a waste of time for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back