2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im afraid if i go tomorrow morning, the bump will be dead
Possibly. No reason to wait. Even if GS had a $5 bonus, it's not worth it on games that have a TIV more than ~$17 (if trading towards Mario/Tsushima).

Edit:
Math is wrong. The $5 bonus stacks with 10% pro bonus, so anything with a base value less than $25 it's better to wait for the $5 bonus... but it's not a huge loss if you go with the Mario/Tsushima trade promo (unless the game TIV has a low TIV). Really depends on the value of the games you're trading in.

I thought about actually trading the copy of Paper Mario I have toward another one just for extra boost. The $15 I lose is more than made up by the extra values I would be getting on other games lol

Debating...I’ve got ultimate alliance, luigis mansion, Mario maker 2, & smash...could trade these all towards one of the bonus games and get a good amount...but I’m not actually “done” with them yet...think these will be on “sale” again soon to rebuy?

Basically, having an internal debate about trading now and rebuying during another sale...should I go for it? Most have these have already been traded/retraded a bunch but I haven’t been trading/flipping since the pandemic started...not sure why I’m hesitating but here we are lol

Will they even take the PAL (?) version of a switch game? Mario Odyssey, not that that probably matters.

If they don't, or make a big deal about it, it will be ironic since they sold it to me.

Debating...I’ve got ultimate alliance, luigis mansion, Mario maker 2, & smash...could trade these all towards one of the bonus games and get a good amount...but I’m not actually “done” with them yet...think these will be on “sale” again soon to rebuy?

Basically, having an internal debate about trading now and rebuying during another sale...should I go for it? Most have these have already been traded/retraded a bunch but I haven’t been trading/flipping since the pandemic started...not sure why I’m hesitating but here we are lol
All those titles are $35 base and if you trade towards Paper you'd be pushing $45... Won't get much higher unless it's $5 bonus but who knows when that will happen.

That being said 1st party Switch titles don't go on sale very often unless it's thru the the Store.

Anyone know what the value is for Spider-Man on PS4? When searching for it, it doesn't pop up because they don't seem to sell the base version anymore.

Something I've learned: Really, unless you're hurting for quick cash/credit, don't trade in games you want to rebuy. Trade in games you bought purely to flip or that you realize you truly don't want. If you already have it in your possession, you never have to worry about making sure you get it on the next sale. Less stress

Possibly. No reason to wait. Even if GS had a $5 bonus, it's not worth it on games that have a TIV more than ~$17 (if trading towards Mario/Tsushima).

Edit:
Math is wrong. The $5 bonus stacks with 10% pro bonus, so anything with a base value less than $25 it's better to wait for the $5 bonus... but it's not a huge loss if you go with the Mario/Tsushima trade promo (unless the game TIV has a low TIV). Really depends on the value of the games you're trading in.
Doesn't seem like you factored the bump in in your edit. Not sure of the values beforehand but I cant imagine so many 3DS games always going for $11 like they are now. I'm assuming they drop to $8 base at least, and then you are essentially breaking even between this 30% and the +5 promos.

Something I've learned: Really, unless you're hurting for quick cash/credit, don't trade in games you want to rebuy. Trade in games you bought purely to flip or that you realize you truly don't want. If you already have it in your possession, you never have to worry about making sure you get it on the next sale. Less stress
Unless you've had games sit for months without playing them. Trade in when the values are high and rebuy when the game is less than $20. No reason to let a game sit on your shelf if you have no intention of getting to it for a while. If I can trade in a game for $40 and just wait to pick it up when it is under $20 (especially if I can get it digitally), I am doing it.

Doesn't seem like you factored the bump in in your edit. Not sure of the values beforehand but I cant imagine so many 3DS games always going for $11 like they are now. I'm assuming they drop to $8 base at least, and then you are essentially breaking even between this 30% and the +5 promos.
For what it's worth, the 3DS games I have got $3 bumps or no bumps. Here's what I have:

No Bump: Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Samus Returns, Ever Oasis, Smash Bros, Ultimate NES Remix

Animal Crossing New Leaf 7 Base to 10 Base

Hey! Pikmin 5 Base to 8 Base

Pokemon Moon 5 Base to 8 Base

Zelda Link Between Worlds 5 Base to 8 Base

What exactly is stealth bump?
When Gamestop increases trade values without advertising that they've done so. It used to happen approximately one weekend a month, but it has been sporadic during COVID. There was one last Friday that surprisingly only lasted for Friday, and now it's back today.

I wouldn't trade in 99% of the games on that list. It's basically a list of the best games for every system and many of them have infinite replay value. It's a good list for flippers or people who play casually. It's not such a good list for people who don't care about flipping or enjoy their games without rushing them. There's also people who want to play these games but want to trade them in now and don't mind going through the hassle of buying and rebuying the same games over and over again but don't understand concepts like time, opportunity cost, etc. And as games get older and go OOP it's harder to find copies in good condition anyway.

Anyone know what the value is for Spider-Man on PS4? When searching for it, it doesn't pop up because they don't seem to sell the base version anymore.
I saw that game on the list last week but now it's gone completely along with several other games. Once again, I am not sure if this is intentional for some weird reason or it's just a glitch that GS doesn't care to fix. But it's been going on for awhile now where random games disappear from the website to both buy and trade in.

GS is also foolish for not fixing the store locator. I can't imagine how much business they've lost because you can't buy a game and pick up in store because almost every single game shows as not in stock even though they all have them.

When Gamestop increases trade values without advertising that they've done so. It used to happen approximately one weekend a month, but it has been sporadic during COVID. There was one last Friday that surprisingly only lasted for Friday, and now it's back today.
Thanks for the great explanation

I saw that game on the list last week but now it's gone completely along with several other games. Once again, I am not sure if this is intentional for some weird reason or it's just a glitch that GS doesn't care to fix. But it's been going on for awhile now where random games disappear from the website to both buy and trade in.

GS is also foolish for not fixing the store locator. I can't imagine how much business they've lost because you can't buy a game and pick up in store because almost every single game shows as not in stock even though they all have them.
It's still there on the app. Just have to search 'Marvel's Spider-Man'. Base value of $15 like last week.

My store wouldn't take my wii/xbox360 game trades. They said they were told not to accept any, even though values are listed on the site/app :(

(X)(1.1)+$5 = (X)(1.3)
X = $25

So anything that has a base TIV less than $25, you have to HOPE a stealth bump coincides with a $5 trade bonus. Assuming this hypothetical stealth bump TIV's are the same as they currently are. It's a gamble waiting as a) the TIV's would have to be the same as they currently are and b) you're waiting on a $5 bonus that may not coincide with this hypothetical stealth bump. I would say there's no point trading anything less than say $5 (semi arbitrary number) as 30% is barely anything on that.

Picked up dotd :ps4: Trine: The Ultimate Collection used for $5. Game seems brand new, so may have been a convert. I forgot I had bought the first three games digitally, but oh well, $5 for a disc of all four is good.

I was able to successfully trade in Demon’s Souls for PS3. The employee scanned it and visibly reacted in surprise when it went through properly. I didn’t ask him about it because I didn’t want to give him a reason to say they’re not taking PS3 games, but it seemed pretty obvious he was expecting to tell me they don’t take them. So, I would call PS3 YMMV.

I briefly saw a green banner "AMAZING TRADE VALUE" on the app this morning, but couldn't replicate that banner. 

Anyways, traded in some stuff, just 100 off the 2k limit  :beer: ready for a real sale!

Just traded 7 Wii/360/XB1 games for a little over 100. Manager said she didn’t know if they were supposed to still take them but went on the phone and a new employee did the trade and didn’t even look at the massacred discs.

Just went to trade in a few games the manager asked me if I wanted to preorder anything with the extra game credit I told him I was going to save it for the PS5 he said that his store is putting down 100$ on a lightsaber so when preorders get announced he'll just roll it over to the preorder of the ps5 I told him yes I asked him if I had credit left over if I could set aside a "lightsaber" that would be for an Xbox and he said yes so with what was left over I put down 150$ for each system. Is anybody's stores near them doing something like this?

Just went to trade in a few games the manager asked me if I wanted to preorder anything with the extra game credit I told him I was going to save it for the PS5 he said that his store is putting down 100$ on a lightsaber so when preorders get announced he'll just roll it over to the preorder of the ps5 I told him yes I asked him if I had credit left over if I could set aside a "lightsaber" that would be for an Xbox and he said yes so with what was left over I put down 150$ for each system. Is anybody's stores near them doing something like this?
I have mentioned the past few times that I’ve been in that I’m saving for PS5 and have not received such offers.

My last order that was shipped through UPS just got a funny update that I haven't seen before;

Exception

We've incorrectly sorted this package which may cause a delay.

What's funny is the fact that it originated/shipped from a city a little over 2 hours from where I live.

My store wouldn't take my wii/xbox360 game trades. They said they were told not to accept any, even though values are listed on the site/app :(

I got the same thing at the store I just tried at. I might go try at another one that has more of an anything goes attitude.

This is why I keep telling people to avoid certain stores. Especially ones with junior detectives.

Those are always the crappiest stores. They make up their own rules for this and I can't understand why. Corporate says to accept Wii games if the trade in values show up. It's what the company wants. The shittiest stores for whatever reason make up their own rules and say nope, we're not taking them. These are the stores that also tend to have employees that snoop through your purchase history, deny you buying multiples, give you a refurb fee for one fingerprint on the disc, try to deny promos and returns, etc.

Most people have many GS stores in their area so you learn quickly which ones are good and which ones suck. I really don't understand why some are so bad and why some employees go out of their way to try to drive away business and make up shit that doesn't exist. If you have a good store then give them your business and trades and watch the crappy ones get shut down.

Alright CAG... dilemma time. I traded in some loose cart games I had lying around from past GS orders, one of them was Kirby Triple Deluxe. But the employee traded it in as Kirby Star Allies. I bought a game and used a $5 coupon from a past trade in so didn't really pay attention on the end value, because it seemed right and because there were 4 other people in the store, including a fucking hippo with his mask not covering his mouth who was breathing like a typhoon so really I wanted to get out of there. 

Do I go back and let them know? 

GS currently owes me a $90 order that they've failed to fulfill even after 3 calls and most 6 weeks. And since I paid with a giftcard, I'm likely fucked. Part of wants to say this is karma and just move on. 

(X)(1.1)+$5 = (X)(1.3)
X = $25

So anything that has a base TIV less than $25, you have to HOPE a stealth bump coincides with a $5 trade bonus. Assuming this hypothetical stealth bump TIV's are the same as they currently are. It's a gamble waiting as a) the TIV's would have to be the same as they currently are and b) you're waiting on a $5 bonus that may not coincide with this hypothetical stealth bump. I would say there's no point trading anything less than say $5 (semi arbitrary number) as 30% is barely anything on that.
If these values were to hold for the next +$5, then definitely. I've just seen quite a few games that have noticeably high TIV for what you can get them for so it just seemed better to do it now and still break even/profit rather than chance it. You are right about the $5 games. Only time it ever makes sense to trade in anything under $8 really is the +$5.

Did Gamestop give up on retro gaming? I was having a hard time finding retro games yesterday and consoles seem non-existent.

Clever way for them to get to count your preorder money as revenue now but I wouldn’t go for that. What if the store suddenly closes and then you end up getting two plastic lightsabers this holiday season.

when do some of you think the next +$5 promo will be.. may just go tomorrow if some of these values hold overnight but we will see

My order from the 50% off sale arrived.  Surprised they delivered it after 9pm at night.  mario & luigi paper jam and pikmin both came in original cases, pokepark came in a generic black case, pokemon sun and moon in the clam shell clear plastic things.  The discs were surprisingly good. pokepark only had one tiny dent on it the size of a pin and pikmin had no flaws at all.  Whoever owned them previously took good care of them.

Got my trade-in in today, Pretty much same value as last Friday only 1 higher. My Pro was lapse so I renew it but I was able to use the $5 coupon with my purchase. Pretty good haul, now the wait to preorder PS5/XSX

Got $45.50 for NSMBU toward Paper Mario, cashier said that’s the most he’s ever seen a game trade in for. He clearly doesn’t know about the summer of 2015 when Pikmin 3 went for $72 with a trade in promo lol. (or was is summer of 2016???)

But 5,000 points disappeared randomly so I assume a auto cert happened but it hasn’t showed up so I didn’t get to use it, oh well

This was a good trade in haul for me. I was pretty salty that I missed out last Friday, but traded in today for about $250 credit that went towards ghosts of tsu. Now I’ve got a real good nestegg towards a ps5 preorder. Awesome!

Got $45.50 for NSMBU toward Paper Mario, cashier said that’s the most he’s ever seen a game trade in for. He clearly doesn’t know about the summer of 2015 when Pikmin 3 went for $72 with a trade in promo lol. (or was is summer of 2016???)

But 5,000 points disappeared randomly so I assume a auto cert happened but it hasn’t showed up so I didn’t get to use it, oh well
Or xenoblade which traded in for around 50.

I missed the stealth bump last week, so when I seen it mentioned this morning I had to hop on it. I didn't get the chance to go thru my collection to maximum on it but did manage to trade in 8 1st party switch games & NFS Heat for nearly $400- a "new" copy of Paper Mario. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back