2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I feel stupid. I called yesterday and spoke with a friendly rep that ended up applying 10k points to my account for 2K21. Had I just waited one more day... I checked my active offers and got the $10 game coin for it today.

Nothing for me and I pre-ordered both and paid both off beforehand. I guess I have to call.

Edit: And done. Got 20,000 points added to my account. The guy did it no problem. Even seemed bored like he'd done it a million times already.

Gamestop just fucked up in my favor LMAO. 2 of my 10 orders from last week's restock came in and surprisingly the NCAA 14 for PS3 is in good shape. Was disc only but I'm gonna test it out later. But in that package they included a 128GB Sandick Ultra SD card that was not part of my order but was just in the envelope. Works out for me since I was gonna buy one on Amazon anyway but thanks GS for saving me money :)

Gamestop just fucked up in my favor LMAO. 2 of my 10 orders from last week's restock came in and surprisingly the NCAA 14 for PS3 is in good shape. Was disc only but I'm gonna test it out later. But in that package they included a 128GB Sandick Ultra SD card that was not part of my order but was just in the envelope. Works out for me since I was gonna buy one on Amazon anyway but thanks GS for saving me money :)
Preloaded with a virus...

Did the whole "surveys for additional points" thing go away? They still mention it on one of the PowerUp pages, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I'm just a 100 points from a cert that I'd like to use over the weekend.

Any one else having trouble redeeming online certs after you get them?
I haven't been able to get one to work since June. I eventually just called CS and asked them to refund the points back and used in-store certs. Lots of others having this issue, so it's not just a one-off thing.

Completely agree. My post was more directed in general to those who are all doom and gloom. GameStop's financial position is actually much stronger than I expected at this point. They have enough liquidity to last a couple of years assuming no revenue whatsoever, so I'm not concerned at all about their short-term future.
You could literally say that about every business that the media covered as dying before it actually happened. Blockbuster was incredibly liquid 2-3 years before it went belly up. So was Radio Schack, Sears, Toys R'Us, Montgomery Ward, and the list goes on.

People here really can't grasp how quickly liquid assets can burn out for a retailer of the size of Gamestop and the cost of the inventory and people they need to pay every week to operate.

I'd love to see GS survive long term, but like others have said, the company will need to take some major risks to shift and reshape its business model. Does it have the guts to do it? Sadly, almost every company in GS' shoes failed to make those moves until it couldn't.

Maybe GS will prove everyone wrong. I think many of us here wouldn't mind that.

You could literally say that about every business that the media covered as dying before it actually happened. Blockbuster was incredibly liquid 2-3 years before it went belly up. So was Radio Schack, Sears, Toys R'Us, Montgomery Ward, and the list goes on.

People here really can't grasp how quickly liquid assets can burn out for a retailer of the size of Gamestop and the cost of the inventory and people they need to pay every week to operate.

I'd love to see GS survive long term, but like others have said, the company will need to take some major risks to shift and reshape its business model. Does it have the guts to do it? Sadly, almost every company in GS' shoes failed to make those moves until it couldn't.

Maybe GS will prove everyone wrong. I think many of us here wouldn't mind that.
That's.....Not true at all. Blockbuster's liquidity was in serious trouble several years before they went bankrupt. They had the lowest possible speculative liquidity rating from multiple investing services by as early as 2006/2007. Their long-term outstanding debt to liquidity ratio was over 10:1 the year before they went bankrupt (and roughly 5:1 as early as March 2006). They were literally dealing with a billion dollars in debt with almost no mitigating factors for 5 whole years. The lack of liquidity to counteract their debt was, in fact, THE primary reason they went under. All of the companies you've mentioned were in a far, far worse financial position when you look at those factors. RadioShack had a staggering $1.2 billion in debt several years before they went bankrupt. They had a paltry $30-60 million in liquidity during this time and were the poster child of liquidity issues. Toys R' Us had $5-8 billion in debt versus only $6.6 billion in combined assets, which only a tiny fraction can be considered liquidity. With that much debt, they were going to go bankrupt even if they managed an operating profit every quarter. I was not surprised at all when they went under.

If you look at the balance sheet, you can see that GameStop's cash on hand is currently far greater than their combined outstanding debt and expenses, so I'm not worried at all about whether they will survive in the short term. None of the investing companies believe that GameStop is in trouble in the short term either, which is why the whales still pump frequently (August 28 to September 1 was mainly done by one group) in anticipation for the next-gen consoles. They're simply and understandably down on the stock because its business model does not have a future. You could make the argument that it's a dying company based on current trends, but mathematically speaking it still has some years left.

I've also said this before, but no one is arguing that their business as it currently stands will survive in the long term. They'll probably benefit from the next gen consoles this year and then slowly go under in a few years unless they can pull off some miracle. It will likely be gradual versus a crash and burn (i.e. Blockbuster and Toys R' Us) because they don't have liquidity issues with over a billion dollars in debt.

So, uh... What did I miss that Aircobra got canned? (something 2 pages ago...)
I guess aircobra and Zantra got into a bit of an exchange at some point in the PSN thread(?). To be fair he (aircobra) insulted pretty much everyone so he was already burning bridges.

It's alleged by others that Zantra edited one of aircobra's post to make it seem even more insulting than it already was toward him.

Mod comes in and gives aircobra a temporary ban and cleans up the heated exchange.

aircobra turns around and makes an alt account and immediately insults the Mod that gave the temp ban. After such a stupid move he is then permanently banned.

I guess aircobra and Zantra got into a bit of an exchange at some point in the PSN thread(?). To be fair he (aircobra) insulted pretty much everyone so he was already burning bridges.

It's alleged by others that Zantra edited one of aircobra's post to make it seem even more insulting than it already was toward him.

Mod comes in and gives aircobra a temporary ban and cleans up the heated exchange.

aircobra turns around and makes an alt account and immediately insults the Mod that gave the temp ban. After such a stupid move he is then permanently banned.
Ah damn.

Ah damn. I'll miss his/her contributions. If someone says there were never any .. they never followed this thread and read between the lines.

Poo :(
I agree that he/she could be abrasive at times with other members. I learned to ignore it though because of the contributions in this thread at least. Everything would have been fine had he/she left well enough alone and accepted the temp ban (however long it could have been).

Sad part was with every post aircobra made I felt like he/she was one step closer to being banned. Especially when they started insulting others.

Back on topic, the National VG sale seems like the same soup warmed over. I'm hoping to see some details on how the pre-orders for the Series X will work for GS and other retailers. I'm looking to buy one at launch and keep my One S as backup.

I missed all that too. I hate seeing any long time poster go. It seems like many I knew even in my short time here are long gone.

Ah damn. I'll miss his/her contributions. If someone says there were never any .. they never followed this thread and read between the lines.

Poo :(
thats a shame, cobras posts were often harsh, but he always called out the stupid posters who want to be spoonfed everything, rather than taking a few minutes to read a few pages, or read earlier posts or put in any effort at all to get in on a deal

I keep almost hoping Amazon would buy GameStop.
Gave my son my phone last weekend and told him he could order something to pickup at the local store under $10.
He couldn't find anything he could actually buy and gave up.
They should just delete the thousands of items which are neither available online nor in-store.
Good news though, good way to save money. If I told him to spend $10 on Amazon, that money would have been gone in seconds.

Their app is terrible so i Hope the new app just works - that’s it, I just want an app that works!

I hope they come back stronger than ever. I’ve seen too many retailers go since joining cag and with it the opportunity for deals and clearance. Competition is good for us CAGs

I had something longer typed, but I'll juts keep it short. Camelot broke the news about the DL/RL purge in the sense that he reported it before the Kotaku/Polygons did. He didn't claim he called it before it happened (not that I can find at least). He did predict not only the corporate firings, but also the DAY they would be happening, and he did it on youtube many days ahead of time. No one knew about those but him.

Phase 3 he said would be GS closing about half their stores over this next year. They already closed a decent sized amount in December (which is crazy in itself in retail) and if they really are about to close another 700-1000 that would put them on pace to do about what he said. It would also line up with what the company themselves said, which is that a "larger tranche" of store closings was to come, which is as close to admitting a plan like phase 3 was ever going to come from them ahead of time.

As far as I can see, Camelot's source has been accurate, and every day seems to prove them more and more right if anything.
Despite a global pandemic, they're only closing 450 more stores this fiscal year. Significantly less than "half of their stores" :lol: . They'll still have over 4,500.

You guys fell for his bullshit hook, line, and sinker.

Despite a global pandemic, they're only closing 450 more stores this fiscal year. Significantly less than "half of their stores" :lol: . They'll still have over 4,500.

Yep, and I also remember hearing in the video last year that GameStop can't survive one more bad quarter. No disrespect to anyone here, but some people are sorely mistaken about what actually causes a company to go bankrupt. The reason predictions of ~2000 stores closing turned out to be entirely false is because it is a company's total liabilities (debt profile), not quarterly income/loss, that actually results in the death of a company. It's why Best Buy was easily able to overcome multiple quarters of unprecedented losses ($1.7 billion loss in Q4 2012 alone) while Circuit City was unlikely to survive even if it started to turn a profit in subsequent quarters. In every single case, it's the amount a company owes to its creditors and investors that will ultimately spell their demise.

I absolutely think they should be closing at least 10% of their stores because many are entirely redundant and some are in unprofitable places. This is a measure that they should've taken in 2017. It's the same measure that Best Buy did in 2012 in order to restructure.

Who are you trolling with this post? I don't care either way about gs's future, but it's a lot of work to go back 7 months to quote a post to gloat to a bunch of internet strangers.

Who are you trolling with this post? I don't care either way about gs's future, but it's a lot of work to go back 7 months to quote a post to gloat to a bunch of internet strangers.
I can't speak for TimPV3, but I believe it's a relevant post because many people were predicting around 2000 store closures at the time due to a certain YouTube video. It's important to provide some perspective right now when people here think that 400-450 store closures signals the death of a company.

I saw it all go down and I don't know if zantra edited the quote to make it worse or if cobra went back and edited their post after zantra quoted them to make it not look as bad, but if what was quoted by zantra was actually what aircobra said than they certainly deserve the ban. The fact that zantra is not banned makes me feel like cobra probably said it...

I saw it all go down and I don't know if zantra edited the quote to make it worse or if cobra went back and edited their post after zantra quoted them to make it not look as bad, but if what was quoted by zantra was actually what aircobra said than they certainly deserve the ban. The fact that zantra is not banned makes me feel like cobra probably said it...
It was edited albeit not significantly - though it did change the tone completely.

Ok another topic I got the $10 coin for marvel after I had phoned in for the points. Looks like I’ll be getting a cheap Mario 3D all stars

Ok another topic I got the $10 coin for marvel after I had phoned in for the points. Looks like I’ll be getting a cheap Mario 3D all stars
Yeah mine expires on the 24th so I guess it got pushed through on the 10th... I called on Tuesday and got the points added manually. Bought Madden, NBA and Avengers, but have only received Game Coin for Avengers; pre-ordered and paid in full for all.

Man, I figured the friend request from "therealaircobra" or whatever it was was just "he who shall not be named"'s newest handle. If history has taught me anything, though, it's that banned CAGs just come back under new accounts.

How is in-store stock looking these days? Based on personal observation concerning the online restock, I'm wondering if GS added a huge number of new stores to the online inventory pool. That could explain the surge.

Man, I figured the friend request from "therealaircobra" or whatever it was was just "he who shall not be named"'s newest handle. If history has taught me anything, though, it's that banned CAGs just come back under new accounts.

How is in-store stock looking these days? Based on personal observation concerning the online restock, I'm wondering if GS added a huge number of new stores to the online inventory pool. That could explain the surge.
Yea, I was wondering what that was too. I guess I only follow a few threads so missed the fireworks. Forum drama is the end-game content for some people!

I too noticed the random re-stock online and in-store as well, the walls seems more "full" than a few months prior. My state has had trade-ins for a while, so it isn't unreasonable to think people finished a ton of games while stuck inside and traded them back in. That or the stimulus splurge buyers remorse. Personally I wish they'd get more retro stuff like Gameboy consoles!

Everything is awesome
test quote edit modify... i guess it does let you change people's text.

Soup is the work of the devil!!!!
... well, not THE devil, but A devil.
Are they uniformly accepting last gen and/or retro game trades yet?

So many of those got sold during the main lockdowns it would have been a good idea to restart those trades ASAP. But... they didn't, and goodwill got a lot of them.

I feel awful for hoping that stores in my area but not the one closest to me are included in the closing. This district is a mess because there are so many locations in a 30 minute radius and I'd like to get some stupid cheap stuff on clearance. 

Did GS move on from UPS? My last two shipments have been Fedex and they're not great... first one, they just didn't deliver because our building was inaccessible (which isn't true). And this one, was supposed to be delivered Friday, still said Friday as of this morning, and now it says today... and the package is still half the country away. Their tracking is worse than the USPS' right now.

Yeah I still miss people like Ubiquitous and others from awhile back during the better days of the thread.
Ha, get used to it... users come and go. I've prob one of oldest people here and I don't know any of you kids.:oldman:

Did GS move on from UPS? My last two shipments have been Fedex and they're not great...
I ordered about $200 of preowned games on 9/3, the last day of the 50% flash sale when a lot of titles came back in stock. All of them shipped via fedex in bubble mailers from stores.

Had a few problems, such as an incorrect game disc. Also one shipment out of Ranson, WV apparently hasn't even been picked up yet. But the rest have been delivered and overall the shipments were less abused than I usually get from UPS system. At least it's way better than the month-long "innovations" shipments they have recently handed to customers.

Because some people are just obsessed with hatred, especially of Camelot for some reason. The reason I mentioned the 450 news is because others here tried to slam dunk on me by saying "Look, only another 321!" because once again, people neither read nor understand. They said "at least" another 321, which means more. Most everyone ignored the Gamestop press release that signaled the start of so called phase 3 when they themselves admitted there would be a much large tranche of closures over the next 2 years, which was exactly the plan predicted...and of course they wouldn't confirm a number like that and tank the stock price.

When this all started they had approx 4300 stores in the US. According to their latest release, they currently have 3,526 with more store closures to come this year. They already said they may not even stop at 450. And also remember that phase 3 ends at the end of 2021.

The pandemic makes it pointless to argue though. Whatever happens, people will just say it's the pandemic. And to be honest they would be stupid if they didn't adjust their plans for a world changing event such as this, so all predictions are out the window anyways for any reasonable person arguing. It could speed up closures or it could save stores from being closed.

Because some people are just obsessed with hatred, especially of Camelot for some reason. The reason I mentioned the 450 news is because others here tried to slam dunk on me by saying "Look, only another 321!" because once again, people neither read nor understand. They said "at least" another 321, which means more. Most everyone ignored the Gamestop press release that signaled the start of so called phase 3 when they themselves admitted there would be a much large tranche of closures over the next 2 years, which was exactly the plan predicted...and of course they wouldn't confirm a number like that and tank the stock price.

When this all started they had approx 4300 stores in the US. According to their latest release, they currently have 3,526 with more store closures to come this year. They already said they may not even stop at 450. And also remember that phase 3 ends at the end of 2021.

The pandemic makes it pointless to argue though. Whatever happens, people will just say it's the pandemic. And to be honest they would be stupid if they didn't adjust their plans for a world changing event such as this, so all predictions are out the window anyways for any reasonable person arguing. It could speed up closures or it could save stores from being closed.
I don't speak for the others, but I don't have anything against anyone. I just personally don't believe in people being so alarmist about the situation. I also don't believe in moving the goalpost when the specific prediction made was that 2400 stores were going to close by Q4 of 2020:

https://www.thegamer.com/leak-reveals-gamestop-basically-shutting/

This prediction was made almost exactly one year ago and is currently nowhere close to coming true. Many people on various forums also made the prediction that most stores will never reopen when they were temporarily closed due to the pandemic. Further, there was also the prediction in Q4 2019 that GameStop couldn't survive one more bad quarter. A large number of people also believed (and still believe) that GameStop will not survive until the next-gen consoles. These people were all mistaken. I actually believe that Camelot (and any former employee) deserves to have their voice heard. I strongly disagree with the direction corporate is taking in terms of creating employee stress and I am sympathetic to his goal of creating a better work environment. However, this does not mean I must take his word as gospel when there is other evidence to be considered.

I personally only look at the financial data because there is typically only one reason a company can go bankrupt. As a result, I am never concerned about a company's short-term survival unless their total liabilities significantly exceeds their liquidity. On the topic of store closures, I am certainly hoping that GameStop closes all of their redundant and unprofitable stores because they do need to downsize according to the market. At this point, there is no reason for GameStop to have more stores than many fast food chains.

Any guess on if we'll see a trade in bonus for Mario in next week's ad? Would love a +5 towards any pre-order :)

Are they uniformly accepting last gen and/or retro game trades yet?

So many of those got sold during the main lockdowns it would have been a good idea to restart those trades ASAP. But... they didn't, and goodwill got a lot of them.
They are advertising accepting retro trades, but most stores I've traded into recently said verbally they weren't taking anything older than PS4/XB1, but when pressed would take anything the system ran up (wii games, etc).

I haven't been to a goodwill in years, but remember everything inside being really dirty.... :oldman:

I don't speak for the others, but I don't have anything against anyone. I just personally don't believe in people being so alarmist about the situation. I also don't believe in moving the goalpost when the specific prediction made was that 2400 stores were going to close by Q4 of 2020:

https://www.thegamer.com/leak-reveals-gamestop-basically-shutting/

This prediction was made almost exactly one year ago and is currently nowhere close to coming true. Many people on various forums also made the prediction that most stores will never reopen when they were temporarily closed due to the pandemic. Further, there was also the prediction in Q4 2019 that GameStop couldn't survive one more bad quarter. A large number of people also believed (and still believe) that GameStop will not survive until the next-gen consoles. These people were all mistaken. I actually believe that Camelot (and any former employee) deserves to have their voice heard. I strongly disagree with the direction corporate is taking in terms of creating employee stress and I am sympathetic to his goal of creating a better work environment. However, this does not mean I must take his word as gospel when there is other evidence to be considered.

I personally only look at the financial data because there is typically only one reason a company can go bankrupt. As a result, I am never concerned about a company's short-term survival unless their total liabilities significantly exceeds their liquidity. On the topic of store closures, I am certainly hoping that GameStop closes all of their redundant and unprofitable stores because they do need to downsize according to the market. At this point, there is no reason for GameStop to have more stores than many fast food chains.
Except that wasn't the prediction. At one point on here I went back and pointed out the clip from the video. The prediction was that phase 3 was starting Q4 2019 (it did) and that Gamestop would be closing about half their stores over the next 2 years, which isn't very far off from what is happening.

Any guess on if we'll see a trade in bonus for Mario in next week's ad? Would love a +5 towards any pre-order :)

[/snip]

I haven't been to a goodwill in years, but remember everything inside being really dirty.... :oldman:
I doubt there will be any promotion for Mario games, as they are selling themselves without any bonus. I'm more worried that GS is allowing over-pre-orders for Mario 3D, such that they won't have enough copies to satisfy everyone.

As for Goodwill, they used to be really good, at least in my area. Sure you had to deal with the dank musty odor of used clothing, but they would just put video games on the shelves, regardless of actual value. $3 a pop, regardless if it was a $100++ game or a $0.25 sports title, cartridge, disc, didn't matter. They moved to online sales now, at least in my area, and just fill their store shelves with garbage. Last time I went to a GoodWill was likely 2018 or so. Not worth the gas any more. Without the thrill of treasure hunting, they can keep their odors.

Forgive my ignorance as I'm sure this been asked a million times, and I've likely seen the answer. Can I use the in-store certs to get PSN, Xbox, or eShop cards? It's been awhile since I've used the in-store certs (save the monthly $5) so I'm a bit rusty.

Forgive my ignorance as I'm sure this been asked a million times, and I've likely seen the answer. Can I use the in-store certs to get PSN, Xbox, or eShop cards? It's been awhile since I've used the in-store certs (save the monthly $5) so I'm a bit rusty.
Yes, I did a few days ago.

I've used them personally for eShop cards, although you need to purchase a $10 card to use the cert, and pay the difference. Store credit comes in handy.

Others have said $5 certs can be used for $5 cards for for the other systems (and you only need to buy a $5 card, not $10) ... But I haven't tried that personally.

I doubt there will be any promotion for Mario games, as they are selling themselves without any bonus. I'm more worried that GS is allowing over-pre-orders for Mario 3D, such that they won't have enough copies to satisfy everyone.

I can't immediately recall a time when they overlap old (released) pre-order bonus's with new ones. They are still running NBA 2K21, Madden, Avengers until tommorrow (gotta buy the game at checkout now though, to get the 20% .. no thanks).

As for Goodwill, they used to be really good, at least in my area. Sure you had to deal with the dank musty odor of used clothing, but they would just put video games on the shelves, regardless of actual value. $3 a pop, regardless if it was a $100++ game or a $0.25 sports title, cartridge, disc, didn't matter. They moved to online sales now, at least in my area, and just fill their store shelves with garbage. Last time I went to a GoodWill was likely 2018 or so. Not worth the gas any more. Without the thrill of treasure hunting, they can keep their odors.
Well, they did have +20% for Animal Crossing (and I Paper Mario I believe) so I figured it was more of a "Nintendo dropped the release data last minute and they didn't give GS any time to prepare promos" - like how there is no pick-up bonus for GS vs Target/Walmart/etc.

I did notice a lot of Goodwill sellers from various cities on amazon used listing, so I guess each Goodwill has a person who parses items into "put on floor" and "put online"... max profits! :bomb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back