2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the digital card tips too!

I’ve been buying a ton lately with these online pre-owned sales.  Only traded in a few games, but I have been doing a lot of GameStop returns.  Probably about 1/3 of my pre-owned purchases go back, lots of the new too if it comes unsealed and it’s not something I’ll play for a while.  Or worse, the stupid circle seal that GameStop puts on the case edge sometimes that leaves a huge mess when you peel off.  Anyone have any experience with a large number of returns causing a problem?

Thanks for the digital card tips too!

I’ve been buying a ton lately with these online pre-owned sales. Only traded in a few games, but I have been doing a lot of GameStop returns. Probably about 1/3 of my pre-owned purchases go back, lots of the new too if it comes unsealed and it’s not something I’ll play for a while. Or worse, the stupid circle seal that GameStop puts on the case edge sometimes that leaves a huge mess when you peel off. Anyone have any experience with a large number of returns causing a problem?
Goo Gone is the best at removing the sticker peel residue.

Goo Gone is the best at removing the sticker peel residue.
Yes it's effective but i remove the cover art beforehand to avoid moisture damage. Before resorting to goo gone though i first try to "restick" the removed portion of the sticker to clean up remaining residue. Many times this is all that's needed.

When does an online pre-order paid with trade credit usually pull the funds? I thought it would be immediate, but apparently not. And do they just cancel the pre-order if the trade card doesn't have enough credit at the time they run it?

Picked up my copy of Mario All-Stars today, and I was able to double-dip on my Pro coupon for the third (or maybe fourth) month in a row. Use it online for a purchase, it stays in Active Offers, then go in the store and it shows up when they look up my Pro account. Not bad.

When does an online pre-order paid with trade credit usually pull the funds? I thought it would be immediate, but apparently not.

<break>

And do they just cancel the pre-order if the trade card doesn't have enough credit at the time they run it?
It pulls the funds just like it says, when it ships.

I've always used separate gift cards to avoid the later scenario. I'll tuck them away so they don't get used again. I'd imagine it'd get cancelled, without funds, unless you signed up and agreed to their credit card or automatic direct bank withdrawls beforehand, like via payment plans(?). If there is no payment method left on file, my best guess is that it would get kicked. Maybe someone else has insight. I don't see GS sending a bill.

Picked up my 3D Mario after work today, they didn't have any of the bonus joycon stickers - did anyone get those?

Also, just a random mechanic - even if you have your entire pre-order paid off, you can still apply certs to it and just get the remainder on a trade card. $59.99 pre-paid (in full) - $50 cert - $5 monthly = $55 back on a trade card. Why not use another $5 cert? Because you'd lose $0.01 and that's not the cheapass-way! :shame:

Anyone else starting to feel like the $5 monthly PUR cert is worthless since it has so many restrictions? It can't be use on sale items or promos.
I'm starting to only use mine on new games sadly, I dunno about everyone else, but I have too much currency already...

Went to gamestop and both the manager and asst manager got fired. Picked up my mario 3d pre order and the lady says just so you know you account is flagged and you cant trade or return anything. I said hmm I haven't traded in much lately. I said I used to be banned but it was only for 90 days but I'm good now. I said can you just act like I'm going to trade something in to see if it works. She said no you are PERMANENTLY BANNED from trading and returning.
Ouch, being unable to return anything seems illegal somehow :oldman:

I got customer service to convert 6 months of unused $5 coupons (since our local stores were mostly closed) to points. They gave me 30k points today.

Softening the blow on that shiny new Xbox I’m going to try and snag.

Anthem for the PS4 & XB1 is $1.50 brand new. I figured that it would be a good way to buy replacement game cases. I do not think that you can buy cases cheaper than that.

Question:

I want to trade in my Xbox One X in for a Series X.

How do I go about doing that?

Can I trade in now and pray I get a Gamestop pre-order?

Or wait until pre-orders go out and pray again?

Yes it's effective but i remove the cover art beforehand to avoid moisture damage. Before resorting to goo gone though i first try to "restick" the removed portion of the sticker to clean up remaining residue. Many times this is all that's needed.
This guy... this guy removes stickers.

Question:
It depends. If you can trade it toward a preorder of the XBox Series system, you get an extra $25. Good luck getting a preorder on the 22nd though?

It depends. If you can trade it toward a preorder of the XBox Series system, you get an extra $25. Good luck getting a preorder on the 22nd though?
With everyone starting preorders at the same time and it being during normal working hours do you think GameStop B&M stores will be that bad? I plan on going to an actual store because I’m off but I will also be trying to get a backup at the same time online via BB or Target.

Yes goo gone is a last resort. Peeling the sticker off and using it to get what is left over is about the only way to get goodwill and arc tags off. I feel like the current GS tags come off without an issue, but the "new" seals only come off with goo gone.

With everyone starting preorders at the same time and it being during normal working hours do you think GameStop B&M stores will be that bad? I plan on going to an actual store because I’m off but I will also be trying to get a backup at the same time online via BB or Target.
The local GS here usually opens at 12 noon lately but are opening at 8am for preorders and recommended being there at 6:30am at the latest. Take that for what you will.

Question:
1) MS "seems" to have their shit together with announcing preorders and sticking to it, so I expect there will be enough supply.
2) That trade promo runs till 11/30 (after the console release date)

I don't think you'll have an issue trading in towards a XSX at some point in the next 2 months. I'd wait until the week before or during launch to trade is so you aren't without a console for 2 month and waste Gamepass.

Went to Target as they give you a $5 Target gift card when you get a flu shot there. Stopped by GameStop next door to use my $5 monthly PUR offer on xbox credit. The girl said $10 was the lowest gift card amount until I asked her to try the $5 and tada, it worked.

I was going to use the $5 on the upcoming Game & Watch but grew tired of waiting.

Do preorders ever expire/go stale? 

I had two Kratos with Blades of Chaos Pops preordered but the store said they haven't gotten them yet, even thought they were released on Sept 9th I think. The guy just seemed like he didn't want to cancel the preorder... but I figure I could wait another week or two as long as I can get my money back. 

Do preorders ever expire/go stale?

I had two Kratos with Blades of Chaos Pops preordered but the store said they haven't gotten them yet, even thought they were released on Sept 9th I think. The guy just seemed like he didn't want to cancel the preorder... but I figure I could wait another week or two as long as I can get my money back.
After 30 days they only refund you in store credit so if you paid with cash/card then I suggest you get your money back before then.

Knew I was due another weird GameStop experience.  Not that bad, but still weirded me out.  I had 14 returns today, still from the September 4th huge online restock, where I got way more than ever before.  Last parts of it finally arrived, and a few things since.  Spread the returns across 3 stores 10 minutes apart from each other I hadn’t been to in months.  Feel weird bringing in too huge a pile at once, wanted to look around at other stores anyway, and did buy stuff at all but the last store.  My third and final store, I get up to the counter and am greeted with “did you just come from “area name store (I dunno whatever area name they were referring too) with a hundred dollar return?”  “Yeah, I guess that was me”.  “The store called”.  I should have asked about what, I just kind of said, ok, that’s interesting, I do have some more online order items to return.  Initially they wanted to deny the return because my order date was over a week ago.   I ended up having to show each items tracking number on my phone to prove they had all arrived within the week, which they had.  I get that they need to be cautious with someone doing a lot of returns.  Wasn’t a bad experience really, but weird.  Leaves me feeling it was a little bit of a notice to slow it down, but when I commented about that, they said nah, your good.  I’ve been using these sales to fill out the last few generations titles with prices I doubt will ever be much cheaper.  Buying more than I’ll ever play, but probably planning to sit out next gen for awhile until it’s prices start to go down too.

So.. apparently Mario 3D All Stars is G2L until tomorrow... anyone pick them up on that promo? :p

My third and final store, I get up to the counter and am greeted with “did you just come from “area name store (I dunno whatever area name they were referring too) with a hundred dollar return?” “Yeah, I guess that was me”. “The store called”.
Ouch, I went thru the same returning a high % of online orders when I was trying to complete a playable Wii U set for the kids.. and pretty much gave up on a working used copy of BotW. Discs just never worked. But stores calling other stores is a pretty big flag to slow down. I used to try to combine a return with either a purchase of equal value or pickup of anything (align one item of an online sale for example), DotD, etc. Always felt it was worth the small "loss" to reduce the chance of the big flag. Stay safe! O:)

I know when I checkin and they pull up my account see my current points... and just stare at it > 15 sec I expect they are doing some "investigating" of my previous transactions and/or reading the notes left by other stores they apparently can leave in the system about members. :shock: I try to fill that awkward silence with small talk "So when do Xbox reservations start" / "So how many PS5s did your store get?" / "Got any free swag I can bum?" :p Gotten a lot of random crap with that last question.

Took advantage of that “extra $5 on games traded towards PS5 game preorders” and got most of what I wanted completely paid off (Demon’s Souls, Miles Morales Ultimate Edition) but I couldn’t preorder Assassins Creed Gold Edition, even the website doesn’t have it to preorder but every other game I’ve checked in the launch window seems preorder-able.

Anyone thing the Valhalla Gold version on PS5 sold out already there?

Well I got the Mario 3 game collection yesterday in store since gift cards still don't work on the website. They had quite a lot of them so I guess it isn't gonna be as rare and hard to find if I can just walk in and buy one without a preorder.  

Well I got the Mario 3 game collection yesterday in store since gift cards still don't work on the website. They had quite a lot of them so I guess it isn't gonna be as rare and hard to find if I can just walk in and buy one without a preorder.
It'll be rare around Christmas, Nintendo is terrible about keeping up with demand.

I think people are figuring this out on eBay too, where a few days ago they were still running in the $75-80 range and today they have settled at $60. The preorder bonuses seem to be the winners going for ~$25.

Anyone know how gamestop will be handling Series X preorders? Is the store opening any earlier?? Will they have All Access options for them?

I am trying to get info before trying to call the stores when they open in 2 hours because my locations never seem to want to answer the phone.

Anyone know how gamestop will be handling Series X preorders? Is the store opening any earlier?? Will they have All Access options for them?

I am trying to get info before trying to call the stores when they open in 2 hours because my locations never seem to want to answer the phone.
From what I understand stores are opening at 11 eastern/8 pacific...line up accordingly....

My store is opening up one hour earlier at 11:00 on Tuesday and from the email they sent you can preorder through All-Access on Tuesday with no upfront costs.

https://www.gamestop.com/collection/xbox-all-access?#utm_campaign=20200919_XAA&utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=img-2&utm_term=20200919_j17326_hb484084a71163e7e103c7e228d2a294b598da605236fe02ee28bcd1bc60aecc4_d8l&kxconfid=tbxx5hfqc&mi_u=1006605362

I better call and check than today when mine opens. The girl on the phone said 11:00 EST and that makes sense since that’s the time Microsoft gave for the official time for preorders to start.

I better call and check than today when mine opens. The girl on the phone said 11:00 EST and that makes sense since that’s the time Microsoft gave for the official time for preorders to start.
I'd probably figure that's the time. A Gamestop employee on r/Gamestop has already claimed that every store opens when the preorders do.

Make sure no Switch games are included in the B2G1. As the B2. Not sure about whether the G1 can be a Switch game, either, could go either way.

Just received a phone call from my local GS... probably the most Gamestop phone call yet.  In order to pre-order a Series S/X (can only get one) you are required to pre-order 5 games/accessories to go along with it.  It is not a pre-set bundle, so I'm hoping those are 5 pre-orders that can be returned/cancelled after launch.  

Just received a phone call from my local GS... probably the most Gamestop phone call yet. In order to pre-order a Series S/X (can only get one) you are required to pre-order 5 games/accessories to go along with it. It is not a pre-set bundle, so I'm hoping those are 5 pre-orders that can be returned/cancelled after launch.
that is one way to make the supply last longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back