2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else getting this when trying to access their cart?

"For technical reasons, your request could not be handled properly at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Anyone else getting this when trying to access their cart?
"For technical reasons, your request could not be handled properly at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience."
You have to entirely log out, like clear your memory cache, then put an item in your cart and then re sign in. Its a major pain but was the only way I could get out of that error loop. On a brighter note, I was able to double dip the PUR $5 cert this month. Wrote it down, used in store, then, used online. Didnt seem to work on any preowned though. Bought 2 "new" games. Though my other account cant buy anything online. Get all the way to place order, then get an error message and it empties the cart. Tried many dofferent payment methods nothing works. Oh well, both accounts are up this month, so I think Im done, jumping through hoops for $5(or $10) with DD a month.

Not a terrible DOTD sale today. I'd totally do the Wonderful 101 new if I could guarantee it would come sealed. Would pickup another Pokeball beanbag for $60 if the wife would let me! 

Looks like most stores are trying to clear out their last-last gen titles by just putting the PS3 + 360 + 3DS + Wii+U games out on the shelves to browse thru which is nice to see what is complete. (Last of Us :ps3: x3 for $2 = wee!)  Am starting to see some 2/3DS consoles in the glass cases again - though apparently I seem to keep missing the random vita console trade ins  :bomb:

Did some B2G1 in-store today to avoid tax and try to find some old games if possible. Pickups: Almost complete (no manual) Chrono Trigger DS ($45) + Age of Calamity ($48 - this doesn't seem to be listed on the website PO yet?) and MK8 Deluxe ($48). Another store had a TLOZ: Spirit Tracks (loose) I combined with Kirby Star Allies and Mario Maker 2. I figure anything below $30 is better to wait for the next 50% sale depending on GS re-stock frequency.  :beer:

Giving $175 trade credit for a system you sell for $179 doesn't sound like a solid business plan. But I guess Gamestop gonna Gamestop.
Yeah, but gamestop is like a pawn shop, since people trade their games for pennies on the dollar in order to buy other used items that are overpriced.

GS employees will also try and get you to but other items, warranties, or games as well.

Besides the number of people who will actually take advantage of this promo, outside CAG, is probably pretty small. And I imagine GS is hurting for used hardware.

Yeah, but gamestop is like a pawn shop, since people trade their games for pennies on the dollar in order to buy other used items that are overpriced.

GS employees will also try and get you to but other items, warranties, or games as well.

Besides the number of people who will actually take advantage of this promo, outside CAG, is probably pretty small. And I imagine GS is hurting for used hardware.
I see tons of people buying GPG on Switch games. The kid is going to lose it before ever damaging it beyond use. I got a copy of MK8 locally for $10 because a "dog" allegedly chewed part of the plastic off the cart. Game worked just fine.

I see tons of people buying GPG on Switch games. The kid is going to lose it before ever damaging it beyond use. I got a copy of MK8 locally for $10 because a "dog" allegedly chewed part of the plastic off the cart. Game worked just fine.
Spending the time to teach your kids to treat property with respect and finding the right discpline balance takes time and energy.

It's easy to imagine that the target market for GPG is parents of ill behaved brats who just want to use video games as a way of escaping those kids for a little while, but it could also be parents too busy with work or other responsibilities to really supervise their kids.

Neither is a great story, but it seems to be one of their few smart business moves.

Spending the time to teach your kids to treat property with respect and finding the right discpline balance takes time and energy.

It's easy to imagine that the target market for GPG is parents of ill behaved brats who just want to use video games as a way of escaping those kids for a little while, but it could also be parents too busy with work or other responsibilities to really supervise their kids.

Neither is a great story, but it seems to be one of their few smart business moves.
I didn't criticize anyone's parenting. I criticized their decision to pay for something that will likely never be used regardless of how well-behaved or supervised their child is. GPG doesn't cover lost games and that is the more likely outcome for a small cartridge as they can sustain significant damage and still work (as per my anecdotal example)

Yeah buying game warranties just plays on the fear of gift givers that don’t know any better. I know some people here buy it to stay in good graces with staff but I don’t.

I didn't criticize anyone's parenting. I criticized their decision to pay for something that will likely never be used regardless of how well-behaved or supervised their child is. GPG doesn't cover lost games and that is the more likely outcome for a small cartridge as they can sustain significant damage and still work (as per my anecdotal example)
For sure, I didn't mean to imply that you were criticizing others parenting, I was just thinking it through.

The switch is really the exception for your poing about GPG, though. Most every other modern system has their games on larger optical media that would be destroyed if any creature bit down on it.

Yeah buying game warranties just plays on the fear of gift givers that don’t know any better. I know some people here buy it to stay in good graces with staff but I don’t.
I'll do the survey but I'm not throwing money away on a GPG. I especially hate how some employees will sneak it on. Always have to watch that card reader screen

For sure, I didn't mean to imply that you were criticizing others parenting, I was just thinking it through.

The switch is really the exception for your poing about GPG, though. Most every other modern system has their games on larger optical media that would be destroyed if any creature bit down on it.
Yes, but I was only talking about Switch games. Regardless, if the GPG were good for the customer, GS wouldn't be pushing them so hard

When cashiers ask if I want extended warranties, I like to turn it around and ask, “would you buy it?”. It likely generates an “oh sh*t” moment for them as they decide how much their word is worth. I know it’s part of their job but employers can’t require them to lie.

Can you buy a copy from GS with the GPU and return said chewie version for refund or replacement?

When cashiers ask if I want extended warranties, I like to turn it around and ask, “would you buy it?”. It likely generates an “oh sh*t” moment for them as they decide how much their word is worth. I know it’s part of their job but employers can’t require them to lie.
like I get it, it’s annoying but these are people who are paid awful wages. Don’t do that. They’re just doing their awful job to pay the bills. Just say no multiple times if you have to. Believe they are barely much more uncomfortable pitching it to you than they seem

like I get it, it’s annoying but these are people who are paid awful wages. Don’t do that. They’re just doing their awful job to pay the bills. Just say no multiple times if you have to. Believe they are barely much more uncomfortable pitching it to you than they seem
Agree with this. Making a snarky remark doesn’t help anyone. Just say no. If they ask again say no again. If they’re pushy just say “I know it’s your job but I don’t really want it.”

Now if they’re dicks about it then all bets are off.

Theoretically yes, but that would be fraudulent. I traded it in and took the refurb fee hit
They charged a refurb fee on the chewed up version? I get that it's not in good shape but what are they going to do with that fee to fix it? I'm all for paying refurb fees if it goes to them actually fixing the issue by they're just going to turn around and resell that game chewed up right?

Agree with this. Making a snarky remark doesn’t help anyone. Just say no. If they ask again say no again. If they’re pushy just say “I know it’s your job but I don’t really want it.”
Now if they’re dicks about it then all bets are off.
You took this to be negative but it’s really not. My advice is meant to apply to any occasion where extended warranties are sold (e.g., car dealerships, auto shops, etc) as a way to learn from their experience. They know how often the warranties are taken advantage of and the reliability of the product or service. I see it as letting them be human and share their experience.

You took this to be negative but it’s really not. My advice is meant to apply to any occasion where extended warranties are sold (e.g., car dealerships, auto shops, etc) as a way to learn from their experience. They know how often the warranties are taken advantage of and the reliability of the product or service. I see it as letting them be human and share their experience.
this is a terrible take. leave the minimum wage employees alone and just say no thanks

They charged a refurb fee on the chewed up version? I get that it's not in good shape but what are they going to do with that fee to fix it? I'm all for paying refurb fees if it goes to them actually fixing the issue by they're just going to turn around and resell that game chewed up right?
Games that are hit with a refurb fee will be marked as defective and sent back to the GameStop warehouse. Who knows what happens to the game after it reaches the warehouse though....

Most of them would just say "of course." Just say no when they ask

When a friend worked at Best Buy, employees got the extended warranties for pennies on the dollar compared to the general public. They did that so that employees would say "Yes, I buy the warranty."

I'd be surprised if Gamestop doesn't do the same thing.

Games that are hit with a refurb fee will be marked as defective and sent back to the GameStop warehouse. Who knows what happens to the game after it reaches the warehouse though....
CD-based games they put through their terrible refurbishing machines that make them worse; blu-ray games get sold through the website (usually) without being touched.

dude they get paid sub-living wages they don’t need anymore learning moments other than coming to work and dealing with condescending customers while getting paid $7.25 to $9, not even the managers who at best get paid $13-$16, at absolute best case scenarios. Please don’t do this to people IRL.

dude they get paid sub-living wages they don’t need anymore learning moments other than coming to work and dealing with condescending customers while getting paid $7.25 to $9, not even the managers who at best get paid $13-$16, at absolute best case scenarios. Please don’t do this to people IRL.
Agreed. But where do you live that you think GS managers get under $20 an hour?

When I worked at gamestop as a side job in 2017 I made 9.15 an hour. the assistant manager made $10/hour and the store manager made $16 an hour but only got paid for 44 hours a week and she worked alot of unpaid overtime. and I can only assume things have probably gotten worse on that front. and the really part time people are lucky to get shifts at all and when they do it's for minimum wage. Even if employees make good money when it comes to shit their corporate overlords make them pitch my response is always just "thank you for offering but I'm good without it" it acknowledges that they did what is required of them and that you value their time and effort but don't want to waste your money. I've never had that turn into another pitch or an awkward situation and I've been using it for years. 

If the waiter asks if I want chocolate cake for dessert and I ask if they liked it, how is that such a terrible thing? There are far worse jobs than GameStop that pay poorly.

It's terrible because he is asking me if I wanted chocolate cake, not you. Chocolate cake was offered to me.
and the warranty was offered to them just like the chocolate cake was. Y'all are arguing over something so stupid and pocket watching GameStop employees so much to the point I think some of you are depressed GameStop employees.

and the warranty was offered to them just like the chocolate cake was. Y'all are arguing over something so stupid and pocket watching GameStop employees so much to the point I think some of you are depressed GameStop employees.
Nobody is arguing about GS employees asking about warranties. We all know it's part of their job. We're just confused at that dude's dumbass response of asking the same question back to them. Don't be a moron, just say no thank you, and go on with your life.

Regardless, they still have to ask. Just say no thank you. Don’t make their job even more shitty unnecessarily.

Anyway, was tempted to trade in my One X for $225 since I paid $200 but I’m holding out for a special edition Series X and...games!

Seems my local stores have survived so far. Still have 5 within 5 miles of me in Detroit.

Anyone wanna answer my question about a stock locator ?

Popfindr is down and GameStop search system is trash
Not sure how PopFindr is searching things, but I'm guessing the same way I am. If so, inventory count no longer is provided as of 2/3 via store search, but it is available via product detail pages, in a roundabout way. However, you can find if an item is in stock as long as they have 2 or more, but you just won't easily know how many the store has.

Until GameStop puts the inventory count data back, I am assuming PopFindr won't work anymore, unless they decide to just output stores that have the items and exclude the count.

Ultimately, at this point, your best bet to find out if an item is at a store is to either call a store or go to a store, and ask if that store or other stores nearby may have a copy. Or just wait until the item becomes available online, which is much more accurate compared to store inventory. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

For discs, the refurb fee goes toward the "silver ring" stickers for the disc and the black stickers for the cases. Cruddy "disc repair" residue/gunk optional. For cartridges, the fee goes toward blowing into the cartridge and banging it on the counter a few times before restocking :boxing:

When I worked at gamestop as a side job in 2017 I made 9.15 an hour. the assistant manager made $10/hour and the store manager made $16 an hour but only got paid for 44 hours a week and she worked alot of unpaid overtime. and I can only assume things have probably gotten worse on that front. and the really part time people are lucky to get shifts at all and when they do it's for minimum wage. Even if employees make good money when it comes to shit their corporate overlords make them pitch my response is always just "thank you for offering but I'm good without it" it acknowledges that they did what is required of them and that you value their time and effort but don't want to waste your money. I've never had that turn into another pitch or an awkward situation and I've been using it for years.
Damn still only $9.15 an hour. I used to work for ebgames in 2004 during my college years and i was making $6.75 an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back