2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't someone from corporate take a few hours to put together a document to show how to spot fakes and send it out to their stores to use?
Back around when they started taking retro again there was some printed guidance of some kind. At least one store near me would consult a binder to identify what needed to go with what retro systems to be considered a complete trade. They would still manage to misidentify Sega systems even when carefully scrutinizing the book. The rest in the district that I brought systems to would just take my word that what was in my bag was everything needed.

At another the manager would inspect my NES carts very carefully and would claim my 100% original low-value NES carts like Dr. Mario and Tetris were repros because they didn't have "the code" and would point to the white edge of the PCB. He got very mad when I called him on his nonsense and claimed he'd been "doing this for ten years."

Fakes don't matter for their old school business model. They only want to churn a working copy over and over...basically a rental store. They should probably adapt to the collector's market but I wouldn't hold my breath.
And the grandma's or uninformed parents buying a Pokemon game for DS for their 8 year old don't care and the kid won't notice.

Heartgold and Soulsilver I drove pretty far for ended up being fake. What was nice was that I found Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia all cart only. I assumed they were all fakes traded in with the Pokemon Games but I checked and each save file was from the same person and holding saves with 20+ hours on them.

Does anyone know how to spot fake Castlevania games and is them holding saves a good indication that they're legit? The Pokemon games were obviously fake because of cartridge color. Also found a Dragon Quest IX DS there cart only too.
Sorry to hear that, but doesn't surprise me. It's pretty easy to spot bad DS fakes, people have already given good suggestions on that. But it's really really tough to spot a good fake unless you have a known genuine copy to compare side by side to.

I've seen and had cartridges that seem to check all the boxes of being a real cartridge: correct code/font style on the back, play fine, have the "mark" on the top of the cartridge, etc. And you compare it to a real cartridge and the font on the front is SLIGHTLY thinner or darker and man I'd never know if I wasn't comparing it to another cartridge.

Some thing that I found helps is if you put the cartridge in a normal ds (not a 3ds) and put it to sleep mode, if the DS starts having a seizure, the cart is likely a fake. Now it's not full proof, and if your cart doesnt have a seizure, it doesn't mean it's authentic.

In general I just stay away from DS carts now, unless they are the black/red IR pokemon carts. I especially stay away from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

You will need to look at the codes on the front and back to see if they match. After that, clues on the label will be how you tell. Also, DSi and 3DS/2DS models usually won't play fakes. But that isn't always the case.

And no, having saves on it is not a good indicator. That means nothing really.

Next time you should call the store and have them shine a light through any HG/SS, B/W, B2/W2 carts before making a very long drive. Lucky it paid off for you, but that was extremely lucky.

Edit: What color were the Pokemon games? Gray or Black?
The games were black and the carts were not the translucent red they’re supposed to be. I’ll try to send some photos of the Castlevanias soon

Nearly anything Nintendo, Trading cards, &....don't forget to ask if you can buy their displays for the switch, the tv they usually have playing GStv etc.

Good luck

Here’s some photos of the Castlevania carts, if anyone can help me figure out if these are fake or jot that would be great. If they’re fake I’ll just return them to GameStop

https://imgur.com/a/iFEQU96
They look legit to me from what I can see. The fakes typically either don't match the serial number on the front/back, don't have the registered trade mark symbol on Nintendo on the back, and don't have the white writing on the chip visible from the rear. All these have those things so should be good.

Here’s some photos of the Castlevania carts, if anyone can help me figure out if these are fake or jot that would be great. If they’re fake I’ll just return them to GameStop

https://imgur.com/a/iFEQU96
Edit: Nvm it might be real? I had a fake that looked identical to that ecclesia. You could tell because the quality of the label was really washed out. I can't tell from the pictures if yours is like that.

So when are the fake Switch carts coming?!... I guess we need to wait for a game to surpass $200 loose first?  :bomb:

So when are the fake Switch carts coming?!... I guess we need to wait for a game to surpass $200 loose first? :bomb:
I remember when Has Been Heroes was like $5 at gamestop there were some issues with label swapping, but seems like they caught on to that pretty quick and check the code 9n the back

So when are the fake Switch carts coming?!... I guess we need to wait for a game to surpass $200 loose first? :bomb:
I remember when Has Been Heroes was like $5 at gamestop there were some issues with label swapping, but seems like they caught on to that pretty quick and check the code 9n the back
Yeah I recall label swapping happening for 3ds games. Hadn't heard about it for switch but I'd believe it.

Can a Gamestop cashier redeem your points for you? I swear they've asked me before if I wanted to redeem my points towards my purchase, but today they made it sound like I needed to get the certificate myself first.

Can a Gamestop cashier redeem your points for you? I swear they've asked me before if I wanted to redeem my points towards my purchase, but today they made it sound like I needed to get the certificate myself first.
I've always been told that they can redeem to become pro status but not for certs.

Gotta love Gamestop, there’s funny typo in the ad. NFS Heat is on sale and they have the Xbox version pictured. Underneath it says ‘also available for PS4 and NSW’ LOL. Only games I’d want are Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Assassin’s Creed Rebel Collection for Switch. Everything else is same soup warmed over.

Edit: speaking of typos, I just made a few.

the $5 off monthly pur coupon works on the $40 sale games. $35 for marvel ultimate alliance 3 seems decent. wish i didn't miss out on the sams and meijer clearance

gamestops the gift that keeps on giving

hope one day we can look at the code holding the whole thing up

how do they do it every single time

General comment: It seems like the stimulus check bump to overall video-game values is starting to wane. I'm seeming stock come back for almost everything across the board locally and online (ie - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be mediocre B2G1 fodder by Christmas 2021!) Hopefully that means I can get a PS4 Slim for $99 soon! :shock:

So I guess the question is.. what happens when you pre-order stuff with trade-in credit and you use up all that credit before the pre-order charge kicks in? Auto-cancelled? Or they bill another payment method on file?

Example:

Pokemon Legends: Arceus x3

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond

Pokemon Shining Pearl

And assume you use up all the credit on that particular trade card by the time Arceus releases... ? Wonder what the over/under is on cancellations? :cold:

As far as other B3G2... not coming up with many ideas.

I just price matched donkey kong abs marvel ultimate with target. This way I'm sure im getting a new unplayed unopened copy of the games

General comment: It seems like the stimulus check bump to overall video-game values is starting to wane. I'm seeming stock come back for almost everything across the board locally and online (ie - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be mediocre B2G1 fodder by Christmas 2021!) Hopefully that means I can get a PS4 Slim for $99 soon! :shock:

So I guess the question is.. what happens when you pre-order stuff with trade-in credit and you use up all that credit before the pre-order charge kicks in? Auto-cancelled? Or they bill another payment method on file?

Example:

Pokemon Legends: Arceus x3

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond

Pokemon Shining Pearl

And assume you use up all the credit on that particular trade card by the time Arceus releases... ? Wonder what the over/under is on cancellations? :cold:

As far as other B3G2... not coming up with many ideas.
If using a giftcard, it will hold the funds. you won't be able to use it after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back