2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you open up the Chrono Trigger? It is likely fake.
I would thoroughly inspect that Chrono trigger. I got a fake one through GameStop awhile back
Looks clean to me? Says Nintendo on the chip so it must be real!

YmOxP7U.png

Forgot how hefty N64 carts were compared to past gens, surely those are less common to find fakes! :shock:

Sword of Azeroth to sell for 150M USD!

I can't order from gamestop.com, after making an online order.

Bought a PSN card with gift card and it worked.

Tried to buy another and keeps giving me an error.

It applies gift card and shows correct balance/cost, but always fails.

On app, I get infinite loading screen.

I traded in a bunch of games today toward ratchet and clank. I was bust talking and didn't notice that the 20% bonus wasn't applied. Is there anything I can do or am I out of luck? I should have paid better attention!

I traded in a bunch of games today toward ratchet and clank. I was bust talking and didn't notice that the 20% bonus wasn't applied. Is there anything I can do or am I out of luck? I should have paid better attention!
go back to the store and ask? i always make sure i know the exact trade in value i should be getting. if it doesn't match i look at my list and see what isn't matching up

I also did the same today and did not get the bonus either. The manager had to do a manual override so I think RC promo is currently busted. As others have said, I'm sure if you go back and ask, they should be able to give you the bonus

go back to the store and ask? i always make sure i know the exact trade in value i should be getting. if it doesn't match i look at my list and see what isn't matching up
I usually do the same. It was just a mistake this time. I went in and they told me to shove it. Guess I'll try my luck with customer service.

Learned something new today. Apparently with a packing slip from a web order, a gs employee now can pull up a full order's info, including other items on the order, tracking numbers, and method of payment. Didnt present a problem for what i was doing, but still seemed indicative of some improvement to their system.

YmOxP7U.png

Forgot how hefty N64 carts were compared to past gens, surely those are less common to find fakes! :shock:

That definitely looks like a legit copy. Congrats, one of the few SNES games I've been trying to track down for a reasonable price without any luck. I have the DS version though.

There are definitely fake N64 carts out there, I've seen some people get fake carts of Conker.

Learned something new today. Apparently with a packing slip from a web order, a gs employee now can pull up a full order's info, including other items on the order, tracking numbers, and method of payment. Didnt present a problem for what i was doing, but still seemed indicative of some improvement to their system.
damn, this will kill a ton of loopholes.

damn, this will kill a ton of loopholes.
I don't know how, but I've had stores go through my order history before, and it's been mentioned on the subreddit. But when I tried to return a game a couple of weeks ago (2 new games but since the 2 preowned games showed as free, she didn't want to do the return, even though they haven't included new games in a B2G1 since like 2019), she said there was no way for them to pull up online orders.

TL;DR as long as your employees are dumb, there's still hope.

Yep, can can even use $5 monthly + $5 cert. Supposedly the limit is 2, haven't tried 2 + monthly.
I was surprised that I was able to buy P5S using my $5 monthly certificate. The game was on sale for $40 on the weekly ad.
Thanks to both of you for the help. I was able to use both in-store certs to help pay for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Paid the difference out-of-pocket since I didn't have any games to trade.

Edit: spelling correction

I am turned on by this
I do like clean boards, but the jagged edges makes me think lasers were too expensive back in the day! :lol:

Yep, makes the buy $30 new for 30%/50% and then returning the new games a bit more awkward. One thing I did notice is that at least for me... they've stopped taking "handling" off returns, and just don't give tax back? Might just be my no-tax on TC state?

That definitely looks like a legit copy. Congrats, one of the few SNES games I've been trying to track down for a reasonable price without any luck. I have the DS version though.

There are definitely fake N64 carts out there, I've seen some people get fake carts of Conker.
Yea, I don't understand the Conker value. I mean, when all the people that actually played it / loved it die, is the value still going to be propped up by historical data? It's crazy how much people on ebay want for a a crushed chewed on Chrono Trigger box. I don't expect switch or DS cases will ever rise to the level of cardboard with paper manuals, so all these guys grading sealed switch games = geniuses or ???

I don't know how, but I've had stores go through my order history before, and it's been mentioned on the subreddit.
Previously they could only pull up your last 5 orders (web and instore) and then look up your last few trades I believe. Two SLs in my old circuit always love to do that and comment on my purchase history to the point I had to watch what excuses I used when stocking up / returning / flipping, etc. :hot:

Did you find that instore?
Nope. It was the last "drop everything and buy" moment the fabled wishlist provided me. 1 came in stock the same time as Illusion of Gaia. (always liked the cover art, and remember thinking I'd get the game someday if I could afford it when saw it in Nintendo Power) :p

Can the V3 monthly coupon be double-dipped?
I also switched from V2 to V3 in May and dip² worked fine. Been using in-store first then online since a few months ago it stopped working the other way around. :bomb:

Is there something screwy with the buy a new game get one for 50 off? I tried to order judgment for $30 and Miles Morales used for $35 and it only took $10 off Mikes Morales.

Ds and 3ds cases will rise in price
Definitely, I think in the end, it’s possible that handheld games could be worth more overall than home console games. If it’s based on the utility of the purchase more than the current focus of mass fomo and speculation. Playing on the handheld it was meant to be played on is something unique the cart can provide over home console emulation. Especially 3DS, that 3D effect is not going to be emulated and once it hits nostalgia territory, possibly being Nintendo’s last dedicated handheld, watch out. Those cases and boxes were probably tossed much more often than for home console games, and they were definitely tossed more by GameStop.

Definitely, I think in the end, it’s possible that handheld games could be worth more overall than home console games. If it’s based on the utility of the purchase more than the current focus of mass fomo and speculation. Playing on the handheld it was meant to be played on is something unique the cart can provide over home console emulation. Especially 3DS, that 3D effect is not going to be emulated and once it hits nostalgia territory, possibly being Nintendo’s last dedicated handheld, watch out. Those cases and boxes were probably tossed much more often than for home console games, and they were definitely tossed more by GameStop.
I have always felt the same about the handheld games being worth more than home console games (atleast in the XB1/PS4/3DS/Vita Era). However I keep reading about the 3DS carts being ticking timebombs based on the type of memory used in the carts. I think the most recent examples are some of the Pokemon games over in Europe failing. Hopefully that is isolated though and the carts last a long time.

Am I crazy or did the ability to search for stock in-store disappear entirely? Looked at the listings for four different games (x1 + ps4) and they only reference online stock. They just took away that search in-store link completely?

Am I crazy or did the ability to search for stock in-store disappear entirely? Looked at the listings for four different games (x1 + ps4) and they only reference online stock. They just took away that search in-store link completely?
PS5 drop today. Probably disabled some features to make sure the site runs smoothly or people can't BOPIS any PS5 consoles.

I think it's important to state that even with GS creating scarcity by throwing away cases, handhelds are always more difficult to obtain boxed copies of. Before DS, gamestop was tossing boxes for Gameboy/NES/Genesis etc but being cardboard and easily damaged certainly helped some.

Anyone try to return rebuy their $19.99 retro games to try and get B2G1? I know on the website it doesnt let you do it, was wondering if it would in store

I think it's important to state that even with GS creating scarcity by throwing away cases, handhelds are always more difficult to obtain boxed copies of. Before DS, gamestop was tossing boxes for Gameboy/NES/Genesis etc but being cardboard and easily damaged certainly helped some.
I think so too. In terms of CIB rarity, independent of copies produced, I think it goes cardboard handheld < plastic handheld = cardboard home console < plastic home console. In my own personal experience, I had a few points when I was cleaning house that I came close to just tossing all my handheld boxes and putting them in a portable binder. I’m definitely glad I didn’t, but I remember the thought. The small carts just lend themselves to cutting down on excess packaging for more portability. When my NES game boxes were trashed by others, I thought about just tossing the handheld boxes at that point too, to make everything “match”. That’s a more unique circumstance, but part of it too for myself...Anyway, even if I still think it was foolish and misguided, doing so on a massive corporate scale, I guess I get some of where GameStop was coming from in their practice of discarding portable packaging themselves. At no point in my life have I ever remotely considered that for my home console games though, I always knew I would never want to do that with them. Just that difference in outlook, if ever shared by others, I think adds a lot to portable cib rarity.

Most likely the last time I ever use a gift card at gamestop.com.

I can't place an order no matter if I use gift card only, gift card/CC or only CC. I tried buying eshop/PSN and even games.

It's like I was blocked after buying a $10 PSN card yesterday.

Called customer support and they couldn't help me. They just kept telling me it was fine on their end and to go in-store.

Going to be a while before I can to a store to use the gift cards.

YmOxP7U.png

This is 100% real. How many came back in stock and are they still selling them for $110? When the CAG16 coupon was working, you used to be able to get them for under 100 apiece :rofl:

I've gotten a fake one that had a real baseball game inside. Immediately knew it was fake without even looking at the cart because a real one has a nice heft to it and the baseball game circuit board was like a third of the size of the chrono trigger one.

I take my word back when I said games are a bad investment, well a majority are. But a decent amount of my games has risen up in value since the pandemic, especially the PSP, Sega Saturn, and Nintendo portable games.

I have a bunch of Persona games, Vita games, sealed GBA rpgs, Last of Us Pandemic edition, etc etc but I guarantee if I put the money I spent on video games into an index mutual fund instead, I would have a lot more money. And if I would have invested in stocks like big baller Blade, I would be rich and calling people kiddos.

I don’t regret my video game spending. It brings me enjoyment. But it’s not a good investment.

There is no guarantee you would be making money in stocks and  mutual funds. Last year when the pandemic hit you probably would have lost money since alot of those holdings crashed when the lockdowns occured. 

Gaming investments are speculative as hell but if you enjoy the hobby and have the space, might as well just hold and see if what you got shoots up in value.

I don’t regret my video game spending. It brings me enjoyment. But it’s not a good investment.
My kids are already divvying up my collection between themselves, so at the very least I can hope a few items don't end up in an estate sale someday! Sitting in my gaming room does bring me joy because most of the games as associated with fond memories. Having expensive games on the shelf just because isn't worth the shelf space! :oldman: Feel like this generation is really missing out on some memories without physical manuals / maps.. I mean how memorable is watching 12 youtube videos?

As far as using physical games as an actual investment.. that just wouldn't scale right. Don't think there is a "Limit-buy rare games" service anywhere! :p Though I guess if you created your own game/card grading company you might be onto something!

This is 100% real. How many came back in stock and are they still selling them for $110? When the CAG16 coupon was working, you used to be able to get them for under 100 apiece :rofl:
$109.99 + 30% off with a BOPIS $30 new game. I've grown fond of getting gamestop-new these days because it's a great excuse to return stuff. Open mystery pickup bag - take a look and say "Got a sealed copy? Nope? I'd like to return!". :booty:

I had a few points when I was cleaning house that I came close to just tossing all my handheld boxes and putting them in a portable binder. I’m definitely glad I didn’t, but I remember the thought. The small carts just lend themselves to cutting down on excess packaging for more portability. When my NES game boxes were trashed by others, I thought about just tossing the handheld boxes at that point too, to make everything “match”. That’s a more unique circumstance, but part of it too for myself.
Growing up, I totally trashed all my cardboard boxes, NES/SNES/GB/N64/PS1-Longbox. All my manuals / maps are taped up and torn to shit. (Final Fantasies) It wasn't until Playstation 1 and jewel cases that I kept anything CIB (Suikodens = complete, King's Field = Disc only -_-). Now that I'm rebuilding my gaming history again, mostly look for stuff complete with box of games I actually played, or box-only if I already have the game.... but it's slow going as I'm clearly a cheapass. :bomb:

I should clarify and say that I not buying games as investment nor do I plan to in the future. I do have a majority of my investment in mutual, index, and a small amount in stocks. I just noticed the very, very small amount of my collection has risen up in value. Those small amount of games were bought to play with anyway and was not bought as speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back