2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly, there will be a new Pro promotion starting tomorrow. When you renew Pro, you'll get the receipt coupon, the September monthly coupon, and a bonus coupon for that month. The 10k points back is the better promo, but it ends today.

Supposedly, there will be a new Pro promotion starting tomorrow. When you renew Pro, you'll get the receipt coupon, the September monthly coupon, and a bonus coupon for that month. The 10k points back is the better promo, but it ends today.
There's a 10k points promo going on for renewing right now? Is it in store?

Yup. I usually use it to buy a $10 PSN credit for $5 buck with the coupon. Not too sure if there is $5 PSN credit thought.
In my expierence the $5 monthly coupon only works on codes that print out on the receipt. There's a $5 eShop, but only a $10 PSN, I don't game on XBOX so no clue what their min. value code is.

They tacked on $1 code for me once. Did a return or something where tax made it over the even amount.

Anyway, in my reward history I do have a $1 xbox live code.

I go into GS once a month, peep at the clearance crap and cash in my cert for $5 xbox currency. I haven't actually bought a game there in about a year.

I only use my $5 on $10 PSN cards in store. I'm good at saving them up so everything I buy is basically half off.

If you don't mind cluttering your active offers, I prefer the $5 receipt printed digital currencies as getting 100% off is better than just 50%... plus I'm just stock piling it anyways.   :bomb:

Or even better trade in towards Madden, pick it up, then use the G2L it code to get all the money back plus earn points on the buy plus the trade. Everyone winds up happy that way, the store gets a preowned copy and you don't look like a dingus.

Has anyone had an issue with a rep forcing the bonus trade in money as the preorder amount?

For example, I was just trading in WD Legion and AC Valhalla the other day. The dude said if I pre-ordered GoT for PS5, I could get a bump. I told him straight up I'd never pay $70 for a game that'll be on sale soon after.

He then backed out, and I said, you know what, I'll do it. He then said that the minimum wasn't $5, but whatever the bonus trade value was.

Such a weird way to do it, but I'm curious why they did it like that. I'm definitely going to cancel it at this rate, but why force me to put extra money down?

This is also the store a few months ago that tried to burn 15,000 points of mine and tell me I was getting a year of a Pro Membership for free without telling me he was dipping into my points I was saving.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Apparently there are items sold on their website that can't be returned in store. Got a shirt and the packing list says not to return it to the store as the item isn't sold in stores and the store won't be able to handle the return.

Apparently there are items sold on their website that can't be returned in store. Got a shirt and the packing list says not to return it to the store as the item isn't sold in stores and the store won't be able to handle the return.
Now that you say that, my local store seems empty and I think it's because they took out all the clothing racks.

Has anyone had an issue with a rep forcing the bonus trade in money as the preorder amount?
Such a weird way to do it, but I'm curious why they did it like that. I'm definitely going to cancel it at this rate, but why force me to put extra money down?
They don't want you to come back 4 times before the game comes out and score mega extra credit beyond what the preorder game is worth.

They don't want you to come back 4 times before the game comes out and score mega extra credit beyond what the preorder game is worth.
It's funny, I've done this a million times before. It's always this one store that has to change the rules. I've never had to put more than $5 down for a game. It's just another reason to stop going to the one in the mall.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

i always just trade the whole stack and at the end just say please put down $5 towards X

never had a problem, dont mention the trade bonus ever or trade towards

For example, I was just trading in WD Legion and AC Valhalla the other day. The dude said if I pre-ordered GoT for PS5, I could get a bump. I told him straight up I'd never pay $70 for a game that'll be on sale soon after.

He then backed out, and I said, you know what, I'll do it. He then said that the minimum wasn't $5, but whatever the bonus trade value was.

This is also the store a few months ago that tried to burn 15,000 points of mine and tell me I was getting a year of a Pro Membership for free without telling me he was dipping into my points I was saving.
Like toska said, just put down $5 towards the game and let the promo apply on its own. That doesn't apply now with both games released, but will for whatever new games get added on Sunday.

Like toska said, just put down $5 towards the game and let the promo apply on its own.
I didn’t mention the promo, the rep did. When I said I’d put down $5, he said that he could either do the whole bonus amount or nothing at all.

It was a super strange encounter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t mention the promo, the rep did. When I said I’d put down $5, he said that he could either do the whole bonus amount or nothing at all.

It was a super strange encounter
I'd be careful if you still want to go to this store while those employees are still there. I'd treat it like a Soup Nazi scenario if you don't have many GS near you. Trading in a stack and then tacking a preorder at the end only works if they don't recognize you or expect the min-maxing.

I burned some bridges at this one "prestige" store that did a similar same thing to me - forced me to put all the +$5 bonus towards a pre-order (I had a big stack) - so ended up pre-ordering 8 or so games in full. Came back later and cancelled them all with specifically that SL. (It was early in my short flipping career). Needless to say, every time I come back to this store I get some hostile customer service and any nickel and diming that can be done will be :oldman:

I'd be careful if you still want to go to this store while those employees are still there. I'd treat it like a Soup Nazi scenario if you don't have many GS near you. Trading in a stack and then tacking a preorder at the end only works if they don't recognize you or expect the min-maxing.

I burned some bridges at this one "prestige" store that did a similar same thing to me - forced me to put all the +$5 bonus towards a pre-order (I had a big stack) - so ended up pre-ordering 8 or so games in full. Came back later and cancelled them all with specifically that SL. (It was early in my short flipping career). Needless to say, every time I come back to this store I get some hostile customer service and any nickel and diming that can be done will be :oldman:
It’s definitely not my main store. I had to go to the mall and only had 3 games to trade. I have maybe 8 stores around me, but only frequent 1-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke with a manager last week about what metrics they're pushing now. Pre-orders are less of a priority. 

Web in-store, GPG, and trades were the directives from the DM.  

Spoke with a manager last week about what metrics they're pushing now. Pre-orders are less of a priority.

Web in-store, GPG, and trades were the directives from the DM.
That makes sense to me.

1) Web in store promotes online purchases (probably cohen’s planned direction) and more importantly addresses the limited stock of desirable games (launch/ used switch/etc)

2) GPG is pure gravy…probably 10% or less ever use it on games

3) Trades at low values and reselling at high vaues that undercut new copies is where the business made all its money. Still provides the most roi until disc consoles are no longer made (could wvwn be multiple more generations because walmart won’t dedicate major shelf space to digital codes)

How difficult is it to do that? 30% extra credit would be nice but if it's a lot of hassle to cancel it and ask for credit back, might not be worth it.
I’ve shifted credit between preorders a few times and they never care. I’ve only cancelled and asked for credit back once. It’s your call but I wouldn’t make a habit of flat out canceling preorders if you want to stay on their good side.

With price matching now, I try not to put down more for a preorder than I think Walmart will have the game for.

Noob question: what is web in store and when would it be beneficial? Thank you!
If you go in store they can place an order for some things to have shipped to your house. Occasionally there are things that are sold out online and no longer allowing pre orders for in store, but that will be an option if you still want it as there will be a small allotment dedicated to this that is not website stock or store pre order stock.

If you go in store they can place an order for some things to have shipped to your house. Occasionally there are things that are sold out online and no longer allowing pre orders for in store, but that will be an option if you still want it as there will be a small allotment dedicated to this that is not website stock or store pre order stock.
This is how I got my SMT5 Deluxe pre-order. I hadn't heard about it until then but am glad they have it and foresee myself using it again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back