2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I pre ordered a game but I want to change it to a different store later, do I have to go to the original store to change it or can I go straight to the new store and have them change it?

If I pre ordered a game but I want to change it to a different store later, do I have to go to the original store to change it or can I go straight to the new store and have them change it?
The new store can call the original store and transfer the credit. I've done it a couple times.

...but they don't specify that in the ad, from what I can tell. A few weeks ago, the deal was working online just fine - the ad never changed, but the online deal just stopped. It's hard to tell if it's intentional, or if there is a serious communications error preventing them from realizing that it's busted.
Both 20% off and the 5 for $10 have the text "Selection may vary by location" in the ad. Not immediately obvious, but this likely indicates that it is instore only and not available online.

GS really dropping the ball.

Got rid of the daily deals and now no Labor Day sale? :(
That was always their intention after taking away 10% off used games with pro. Daily Deals was to make it seem worth it to drop 10% off but once people forgot that existed, they would drop other things. Eventually the $5 rewards monthly coupon will also go away.

Gamestop knows they have enough pull to not offer these things, so they eventually won't. I do think price matching is here to stay but they might have a pull out strategy for that too seeing as there is no mention of price matching on their site despite stores now doing it.

Both 20% off and the 5 for $10 have the text "Selection may vary by location" in the ad. Not immediately obvious, but this likely indicates that it is instore only and not available online.
It's never clarified anywhere though, I think that is dude's problem with the whole thing. Their twitter hasn't posted anything to clarify that I've seen and customer support is operating under just applying the discount if I call in and ask about it. I mean they really could have just changed their policy and removed it as an online promo or it could just be suffering the same fate as the online reward certificates and just aren't working.

That seems more like the boilerplate YMMV bit to me - i.e. "we have a photo of Halo in the ad, but your local store may not actually have it in stock." You can even click the details link, and it takes you to a filtered list of under-$20 games. Ultimately, the deal was available online for a significant amount of time and then it was not; as far as I can tell the wording on the weekly ads never changed.

Heisnotsmart2
Ugh, where's this coming from? I thought my point was pretty agreeable: it's not immediately apparent that it is truly meant to be an in-store deal only, and I think most of us have experienced enough mismanagement of the Gamestop website (still have a $5 online cert that I cannot redeem online) to be skeptical.

So I found out today I got account and trade banned.I didn’t go over any limits but was told by the manager at the store when he called to find out why that basically I was buying stuff at promotional prices and trading back in and to call them to see what they can do about it. Does anyone who this may have happened to know if this is a permanent ban or should I wait a time limit to make trades again. I’m not so concerned with the account more about just being able to trade in again with my ID.

So I found out today I got account and trade banned.I didn’t go over any limits but was told by the manager at the store when he called to find out why that basically I was buying stuff at promotional prices and trading back in and to call them to see what they can do about it. Does anyone who this may have happened to know if this is a permanent ban or should I wait a time limit to make trades again. I’m not so concerned with the account more about just being able to trade in again with my ID.
You're SOL basically. I don't believe there is anyone you can convince (DM, RM, or whoever) to unban you.

It's never clarified anywhere though, I think that is dude's problem with the whole thing. Their twitter hasn't posted anything to clarify that I've seen and customer support is operating under just applying the discount if I call in and ask about it. I mean they really could have just changed their policy and removed it as an online promo or it could just be suffering the same fate as the online reward certificates and just aren't working.
Yeah, clarity is not a quality GameStop possesses. Hard to know what is intentional vs. accidental, except when there is an obvious mistake with a b3g2 promo or getting a $30 gift card for shedding ~$10.

I always thought that this is exactly what basically everyone here does... Is it really against the rules?
Not any "hard" rules but ultimately, GameStop is in business to make money and they don't make money off of us doing that. So, much like any other company, if they want you gone, they can make up any sort of justification for it by saying you violated some theoretical aspect of their ambiguously worded Terms of Service.

In this case, we would say the person got "Junior Detective"d because someone at a store investigated and then manually flagged the account. Being flagged for flipping doesn't happen automatically though, hence why I don't consider it a "hard" rule the way exceeding trade limits is.

Is it a permanent ban with my ID or 1 of those 3 month ones is what I’m more curious to know.
I don't think anyone here has a clear answer for how long. There was GS trade ban thread on here from a while back saying the ban is around 3 months, but I don't fully remember what it said. I think they'd manage to find out that the max you could trade in was 3 of the same games or a certain $ limit within a 24hr period.

Just curious, but what/how much did you trade in before the trade ban?

Does anyone here use the Honey extension? I always get an offer to use a discounted GS gift card instead of my usual payment method. Basically, when checking out they offer me the exact amount of my purchase at a slight discount. Its worked a bunch in the past no problem, then today I made 2 purchases in a row, the second for in-store pickup and I got this "oops" message when trying to check out. It seems to take my gift card info from honey just fine, but then it errors out when I try to finish the transaction. Its weird. 

I emailed Honey already, but I think this is more on GS end. Is there a thing where like the GC gets locked after attempts? Or like soft charged or something? 

I don't think anyone here has a clear answer for how long. There was GS trade ban thread on here from a while back saying the ban is around 3 months, but I don't fully remember what it said. I think they'd manage to find out that the max you could trade in was 3 of the same games or a certain $ limit within a 24hr period.

Just curious, but what/how much did you trade in before the trade ban?
I know I didn’t go over any trade limit per title or $ amount because I’ve had only between $200-300 in trade credit for the past few months purchasing madden, Ghost of Tsushima and had NBA preordered. I did the 5 for $50 and buy 2 get 20% no more then a handful of times.

I know I didn’t go over any trade limit per title or $ amount because I’ve had only between $200-300 in trade credit for the past few months purchasing madden, Ghost of Tsushima and had NBA preordered. I did the 5 for $50 and buy 2 get 20% no more then a handful of times.
Log into your account and look at your rewards activity section. Do you have a comment in there from a LP associate about your account being terminated?

Unfortunately, it could be ID. It could be name. I was banned 2 years ago. I created a new account 4 months later (they had told me it would be for 3 months but it's still going on to this day) and was able to trade once (a small $80ish trade-no ID; different phone number and address were used) on it before it too was trade banned later that day. I haven't tried trading under my name since then, but I assume there's something in their system tied to my name.

Can't speak to all consoles, but I noticed a few harder-to-find PS3 games went back in stock not long ago.

Unfortunately, it could be ID. It could be name. I was banned 2 years ago. I created a new account 4 months later (they had told me it would be for 3 months but it's still going on to this day) and was able to trade once (a small $80ish trade-no ID; different phone number and address were used) on it before it too was trade banned later that day. I haven't tried trading under my name since then, but I assume there's something in their system tied to my name.
How about birthday. I’ve used my name no ID with different everything.

Canceled my aqua shift Series S controller preorder. GS still hadn't received them, had no idea when they would, and the Best Buy across the street had them on the shelf.

Welp.

Your ID is banned then too, that's a tough break.
Yea I found that out after I tried to do a trade without an account. I live in NYC where they require ids for trades. I’m curious to know if the ban is from corporate or a JD. And do you lose any preorders you had that’s associated with the account if the membership is deleted since I used the account for it or can they check it with a transaction number?

preorders should still be linked to your phone number at the store. i would get them to check. they usually wipe your reward points tho

My store will just glance at my ID and call it good. No fingerprints or any additional paperwork. I guess it helps that I live in Montana lol.

Yea I found that out after I tried to do a trade without an account. I live in NYC where they require ids for trades. I’m curious to know if the ban is from corporate or a JD. And do you lose any preorders you had that’s associated with the account if the membership is deleted since I used the account for it or can they check it with a transaction number?
I haven’t been banned, but people who are “trade banned” can still spend money to buy stuff, you just can’t sell stuff. So you should be ok with any existing preorders.

My store will just glance at my ID and call it good. No fingerprints or any additional paperwork. I guess it helps that I live in Montana lol.
its based on your city's laws. I think it has to do with how each city handles pawn shops. IE the store in my city requires your ID info to be input into the system while 10 minutes away in a different city you don't need ID for trades.

its based on your city's laws. I think it has to do with how each city handles pawn shops. IE the store in my city requires your ID info to be input into the system while 10 minutes away in a different city you don't need ID for trades.
Yep, I thought it was state by state before, but it's more the local laws that GS abides by. Nothing / ID / finger print / Ribosomal DNA sequencing / etc. Someone should draft a trade in map of continental US! O:)

So GS's twitter actually answers messages? Always thought it was manned by one person! /old :oldman:

Niche inquiry: Anyone have any success getting Atelier Firis for PS4 delivered complete in box? It goes in and out of stock and I got burned with a disc only copy my first try

Niche inquiry: Anyone have any success getting Atelier Firis for PS4 delivered complete in box?
The copy of firis i purchased also arrived without original cover. I wouldn't call it getting burned though, pretty much to be expected.

GameStop’s Twitter can tell you the exact date a trade ban will be lifted. You’ll need to give them the phone number & email associated with your account
That would be all well and good but he doesn't have a trade ban. His account has been nuked and all his points are toast. His ID is banned now too in their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back