2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got rid of all my joycons and im at the cusp of trade limit so idk
i would have taken the 260 though for sure prob

hope it runs into next week

Swapped my SSD with the original hdd my ps4 shipped with to do the $325 trade in. Got "cannot start the ps4, hit PS button with controller connected" so I hit the PS button on the controller while plugged into the system and got no change. I thought I had merely copied all the data on the old hdd to my SSD so I didn't think I'd have fiddle with it, but I swapped my SSD back in just to be sure and much to my dread I got the same error. Then I plugged it into my ps5 power cord and hdmi and used a different usb cable with a different ps4 controller and got the same error. Welp. Guess I'm fucked.
As the other user said, get an 8gb or larger usb drive and follow the instructions here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/reinstall-playstation-system-software-safe-mode/

If I bring in Deathloop to trade towards Metroid tomorrow will I still get the bonus % or does that only apply if you use it to preorder before release day?

Do they take Switch consoles without the joycons? I traded in 4 joycons earlier to upgrade to one set of the Zelda skyward sword joycons. If there is a penalty that is less than $70 I might go for that, or I’ll just have to buy used controllers to trade in I guess.

I guess that's true. Again, I am thinking cash over GS credit. It also depends on your area and you are right, the values are high if you are a pro member. That $50 bump is nice.

Nah, you have to reinstall the OS whenever you do a hdd swap. instructions are on sony website, just need a flash drive, it's a simple fix.
Yup, i had to do that too. I also had to learn the hard way first, after plugging in the new HDD, and being totally confused.

Well i lucked out, I traded my orig PS4 with upgraded hd of 900 gb for $215, same price I got a quote last week, with Pro membership.  All they checked was the controller functionality and that it was wiped. They rewiped it anyway.

Do they take Switch consoles without the joycons? I traded in 4 joycons earlier to upgrade to one set of the Zelda skyward sword joycons. If there is a penalty that is less than $70 I might go for that, or I’ll just have to buy used controllers to trade in I guess.
No unfortunately they are required.

Anyone know if the switch lite also gets a bonus?  I enjoyed it at the time because the battery life was so much better than my OG switch, but now it never ends up being played.

EDIT: Apparently it gets a $25 bonus, so it should be $135 now.

PSA: if you don’t want to lose your animal crossing island you need to transfer it using the transfer tool. Which means you need to get the OLED, transfer the system, then use the transfer tool to put the island on your new switch, and then trade in the old one.

Is there a good summary post of the current "trade in __ games, get ___ bonus"?  I've gone back through the past several pages and not finding it, but I thought the promo was good through the weekend.

Tied to that, was it true that micro USB cables were valid as part of that trade-in bonus?  What about controllers?

I've got two extra Switch games and I'm wondering if there is a viable way to get the boost...

Is there a good summary post of the current "trade in __ games, get ___ bonus"? I've gone back through the past several pages and not finding it, but I thought the promo was good through the weekend.

Tied to that, was it true that micro USB cables were valid as part of that trade-in bonus? What about controllers?

I've got two extra Switch games and I'm wondering if there is a viable way to get the boost...
the 50% bonus for games requires 5 games, you cant mix/match accessories and games. though controllers all get the bonus with no minimum

So the guy who moved my Deathloop preorder put it on the wrong version of FC6. I mentioned this to the employee and his boss said he could just return/rebuy with the reason being "Wrong version".
He assured me that the G2L code would still be on the receipt and he was right, but I forgot to ask about the Game Coin. Do you guys think I'll still get it?

So the guy who moved my Deathloop preorder put it on the wrong version of FC6. I mentioned this to the employee and his boss said he could just return/rebuy with the reason being "Wrong version".
He assured me that the G2L code would still be on the receipt and he was right, but I forgot to ask about the Game Coin. Do you guys think I'll still get it?
These latest GameCoin offers haven't required a preorder, just a purchase within the first week of release, so hypothetically you should be fine.

Oof.  My Metriod Dread SE order was just marked as shipped.  Strange, 8-digit tracking number given for "Lso."  I'm guessing this means they're going to deliver this from a local store?

the 50% bonus for games requires 5 games, you cant mix/match accessories and games. though controllers all get the bonus with no minimum
Well, bother -- I only have 2 games to get rid of. In theory, there's still a partial bonus for trading in TOWARDS things, right?

Haven't traded games to Gamestop in awhile.  With the trade 5 promotion, is it a good idea to trade low value games (around $2-3) or are there better deals later on?

Haven't traded games to Gamestop in awhile. With the trade 5 promotion, is it a good idea to trade low value games (around $2-3) or are there better deals later on?
With games that low, it's probably better to wait for a +$5 trade deal that they run ever so often.

Thinking about trading in my OG switch tomorrow. Should I line up outside or something? Not sure how many oLED switches they will have. 

I call up customer service with retard to my missing lost judgment coin.  They said i should be contracting the store i purchase from instead.  I double check my purchase receipt and see no coin

Haven't traded games to Gamestop in awhile. With the trade 5 promotion, is it a good idea to trade low value games (around $2-3) or are there better deals later on?
Most of the time +5 only qualifies for the current gen or gen-1 games, but this promo works on any game with a trade value, so I'd focus on trading in gen-2 or -3 games that haven't quite reached the "Retro" tier of collectability. Wii (Sports), DS, 360, PS3, etc. Bring some extra crappy titles on hand to get to a multiple of 5 just incase :cold:

Checked the trade value on the Xbox Elite v2 controller tonight; $75 base and $120 after my Pro number was entered.

That's what showed ($112.50) on the little POS screen when she thought it was a series 2 elite, then this other guy came in and pointed at it being a series 1, I didnt get as far as giving them my # and ID so no PRO extras were applied to the trade at that time.

Must have changed it recently then, because they use to require it to only be worth $2
I am reasonably sure the $2 limit has been dead for several years now. The first one, way back, that applied to any game for any system was a $2 floor. Then they bumped it to $5 and then I think current gen + $5 limit. It's possible I am mistaken and that they skipped the $5 bump and went straight to current gen + $5.

That first one was great. They were still taking in PS2 and common NES games so I went bananas across 5 accounts with my yard sale stockpile and did better than I ever would have on eBay or FB and such.

Managed to get my PS4 Pro working and traded it in for $325 thanks to advice in this thread.  As Gamestop sold it to me new 2 years ago with a call of duty game for $300, I came out ahead! Thanks guys!

I decided to risk it with my switch in hopes of getting an OLED, and like you, I came out ahead, as I got mine from ebay when they were still doing those 20% off coupons and paid $232 (aprox) for it in 2017.   Fingers crossed I don't come to regret it.

Metroid Dread special edition was up an hour ago on Best Buy for shipping and pickup(which is what I picked) I’m really glad that more were available tonight and I don’t have to wake up early to go to GameStop tomorrow!

Will stores be getting any OLED Switch systems tomorrow?  I know I"m late to the party, but was thinking if driving around town to a few stores would have any chance of scoring one since I can't online.

Also, Dread should be available in store, right?

I traded in my Switch V2 on Tuesday for $220 thinking that would be the best TIV. I also thought I could just preorder an OLED. Boy was I wrong on both 😞 I did get almost $60 for 5 crap games though.

Can I use 1 $50 and 1 $25 in store reward certificate toward the Switch OLED? Thanks for your help!
You can. The limit is supposed to be 3 different denomination reward certs in one transaction per customer per day but the system won't stop you from stacking one of each denomination. Depends on the employee knowing or caring. So if you had the points you could do $5 monthly + $5, $10, $15, $25, and $50 certs for a total of $110 off a single item. When using certs in any sort of complicated way I usually do one item per transaction to prevent issues. Don't bother using them on some sale items (mostly BF promos iirc) or in almost all B2GX situations because it often takes off the base value and not the sale price.

From the cert itself: Two certificates of the same denomination can not be used in the same transaction, but you can use two different denominations. (EX. Two $10 Certificates can not be used in the same transaction, but a $5 certificate and a $10 certificate can be used in the same transaction) No cash back. Maximum of 3 certificates can be used per day, per member.

multiple items never work unless one costs more than all the certs combined

ie i tried to buy 2 25$ games once with a 50 cert and the cert only went towards 1 item

You can. The limit is supposed to be 3 different denomination reward certs in one transaction per customer per day but the system won't stop you from stacking one of each denomination. Depends on the employee knowing or caring. So if you had the points you could do $5 monthly + $5, $10, $15, $25, and $50 certs for a total of $110 off a single item. When using certs in any sort of complicated way I usually do one item per transaction to prevent issues. Don't bother using them on some sale items (mostly BF promos iirc) or in almost all B2GX situations because it often takes off the base value and not the sale price.

From the cert itself: Two certificates of the same denomination can not be used in the same transaction, but you can use two different denominations. (EX. Two $10 Certificates can not be used in the same transaction, but a $5 certificate and a $10 certificate can be used in the same transaction) No cash back. Maximum of 3 certificates can be used per day, per member.
Many thanks for your time!

Hoping to get an OLED this morning, transfer my animal crossing save, and trade my old system for $260.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back