2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something new earlier tonight when I went to GameStop to trade-in a copy of Fallout 76. The key-holder wouldn't let me add to my trade card. He said something about "they can't let people stockpile trade credit on trade cards anymore". Sounds like an employee making up stuff but I didn't push it because I don't know if there really was a new mandate in my area/district. I traded in Far Cry 6 (G2L) to the manager of the same store the night before and put all 59.99 on my original trade card.

EDIT: He put my credit on a new trade card. Annoying. Sorry, I forgot that part.

I asked to have my credit put on a separate trade card. In the case of a random ass ban my understanding is that it is the safer way to have one's credit.

Ban doesn't wipe the credit off a card.  Split doesn't impact anything.  If ID/info matches its all linked to the same guest on the LP backend anyways.

He basically made me take a new trade card. I edited my original post because I forgot that part
It feels like a really dumb policy. Let’s say you buy something big and your credit is spread out. They have to process 3 payments instead of 1. What is the downside of putting it all on one card for them?

The only reason to do it if you have the card on you is if you are at $1k in trade credit.  the cards cap at $1k.

It feels like a really dumb policy. Let’s say you buy something big and your credit is spread out. They have to process 3 payments instead of 1. What is the downside of putting it all on one card for them?
It's incredibly stupid.

The key-holder may just have been making up rules on the fly. Which happens a lot with GameStop employees. My bigger concern is that the manager or a higher-up told him to enforce that policy

The game advisor didn't even know about the promo. I asked him about it and he looked in a binder and said he didn't see it in there. He was aware of the increasing percentage boost for more games traded. He seemed nice enough and I asked him humor me by putting in a switch trade to see if the promo was active. Thankfully it was. No damage found on my switch either. Now I just need to find an OLED one to spend that credit
Stores don't seem to get word of a lot of promotions.

I went in to trade in Metroid Dread for G2L and the employee tried to tell me to return it instead but I need the credit, which is why I'm trading. They got an attitude with me saying I'd lose money even after explaining what G2L is. Finally they just did the trade and enter the code, to their surprise that the TIV was $59.99.

I have this conversation all the times I've tried to trade in games with the G2L promotion. I just expect employees don't know store promotions and that I'd have to walk them through it each time. Which isn't their fault, GS should at least send out a memo for such things to stores.

Shit, I forgot about the 2 card limit on the website. I was going to buy a PS5 bundle when they presumably pop up on Thursday, but I'm split across 3 cards.

Shit, I forgot about the 2 card limit on the website. I was going to buy a PS5 bundle when they presumably pop up on Thursday, but I'm split across 3 cards.
Has it always been two trade card limit? If I had known that I would have tried to limit it, as I now have 4 trade cards and 1 gift cards.

Anyone who has multiple trade cards and is trying to combine them your best option would be to buy some stuff on 1 and return it and load up the other because you don’t need the exact same trade card to reload for a return.

Has it always been two trade card limit? If I had known that I would have tried to limit it, as I now have 4 trade cards and 1 gift cards.
it's been 2 card limit for years at least, yes. In store there is no limit for in store purchases or online orders placed in store.

Stores don't seem to get word of a lot of promotions.

I went in to trade in Metroid Dread for G2L and the employee tried to tell me to return it instead but I need the credit, which is why I'm trading. They got an attitude with me saying I'd lose money even after explaining what G2L is. Finally they just did the trade and enter the code, to their surprise that the TIV was $59.99.

I have this conversation all the times I've tried to trade in games with the G2L promotion. I just expect employees don't know store promotions and that I'd have to walk them through it each time. Which isn't their fault, GS should at least send out a memo for such things to stores.
I mean it's literally on the receipt. If only they would listen to you and just read it.

I had an employee do that once. I wasnt going to argue. Id rather have my sales tax back than the points. My state still charges sales tax even with TiC

I mean it's literally on the receipt. If only they would listen to you and just read it.

I had an employee do that once. I wasnt going to argue. Id rather have my sales tax back than the points. My state still charges sales tax even with TiC
I dont think he had it on his receipt as he was asking about the g2l code earlier

Something new earlier tonight when I went to GameStop to trade-in a copy of Fallout 76. The key-holder wouldn't let me add to my trade card. He said something about "they can't let people stockpile trade credit on trade cards anymore". Sounds like an employee making up stuff but I didn't push it because I don't know if there really was a new mandate in my area/district. I traded in Far Cry 6 (G2L) to the manager of the same store the night before and put all 59.99 on my original trade card.

EDIT: He put my credit on a new trade card. Annoying. Sorry, I forgot that part.
this is just another one of the problems with gs, wildly inconsistent behavior/information by state, region, or even in the same store.

the stores where I trade ask to put credit on existing card(s) because they are always running low on the cards

the stores where I trade ask to put credit on existing card(s) because they are always running low on the cards
Can't imagine them refusing to put on existing cards.... I've got a binder with about 30 of my 0 balance trade cards and hundreds of faded receipts! Thermal paper doesn't do well for me.

Went back to the same store this morning to return a $5 360 game I bought with trade credit a few days ago. It was the manger from the night before who I traded Far Cy 6 too. He let me put the $5 of trade credit right back on my original trade card.

I guess the key-holder just didn't know what he was talking about lol

Yesterday I finally went to pick up my Metroid preorder and planned to G2L it in the same day (because it was the last day). I decided to just keep it sealed so maybe they could sell it as new, but I also knew they might have to open it since that's what they normally do with trades.

Well, weird thing is since it was still sealed, the guy ended up processing it as a refund instead of doing the G2L, and I got cash back instead of trade credit, and I also got refunded $59.99 + tax, even though I of course only paid $59.99 for the preorder, basically giving me $4 + change for free.

So... is this normal? Did someone do something wrong here?

I traded in an original launch model Xbox one and it was mint has everything but got 20$ off bc he said that’s what they have to do. It wasn’t even turned on to check if it worked but I got 140$ so I guess that’s ok. Kinda lame but I traded in other stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I finally went to pick up my Metroid preorder and planned to G2L it in the same day (because it was the last day). I decided to just keep it sealed so maybe they could sell it as new, but I also knew they might have to open it since that's what they normally do with trades.

Well, weird thing is since it was still sealed, the guy ended up processing it as a refund instead of doing the G2L, and I got cash back instead of trade credit, and I also got refunded $59.99 + tax, even though I of course only paid $59.99 for the preorder, basically giving me $4 + change for free.

So... is this normal? Did someone do something wrong here?
Yes because you left it sealed, they don't take sealed games as trade ins. So they had to process it as a return. If you opened it and traded it in then would've been a G2L

Yes because you left it sealed, they don't take sealed games as trade ins. So they had to process it as a return. If you opened it and traded it in then would've been a G2L
Well I guess my question then would be, is there something bad about returning a pre-ordered game? Why don't people just do that instead of doing G2L? And by people I mean CAGs who are basically using G2L as a way to get a 30% boost on their trades, which if I understand correctly is why most people here utilize the G2L program (or no?)

Well I guess my question then would be, is there something bad about returning a pre-ordered game? Why don't people just do that instead of doing G2L? And by people I mean CAGs who are basically using G2L as a way to get a 30% boost on their trades, which if I understand correctly is why most people here utilize the G2L program (or no?)
The main reason is that you get to keep the PUR points from buying the game and trading it in; returning the game means you lose the points from buying it. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but a return could also reflect negatively on a store's statistics.

In some states, they don't charge you sales tax on purchases paid for with TiC. If you do G2L for a $60 Switch game in one of those states, you get the $.60 in my Nintendo rewards and the PUR points from both the trade in the purchase. If you did the return, you would lose the points and the $.60 for the eShop. Some people also use G2L as a way to convert points to TiC. If you do a return on something for which you used a certificate, you lose the certificate value.

Free points, nothing besides that. When you return something they remove the points from your account. When you trade you're double dipping, you get points for the promo to get the game. You get points for the purchase of the game and now you get points again for trading in. All in all it's just free points for rewards. You can certainly return it and it won't hurt you, you'd just be missing out on the points

My guess...rewards points and buying with trade credit is like buying tax free.

Edit: four answers posted at almost the exact same time :whee:

Well I guess my question then would be, is there something bad about returning a pre-ordered game? Why don't people just do that instead of doing G2L?
The main draw of G2L is for people who want to play the game some, grab gold coins off the cartridge, use up points/certs on the original purchase, and/or earn a game coin on the original purchase (if applicable, not for dread). The Dread SE also allowed you to g2l the game without returning the SE contents.

The only mistake made in what you describe is the employee choosing the wrong original payment method while processing the return. The only slight drawbacks to returning a sealed preorder not paid with certs is a small hit to points balance and a small hit to the store's numbers. If the employee mistakenly processes g2l as a return, I usually just let them as I come out ahead being refunded sales tax.

I dont think he had it on his receipt as he was asking about the g2l code earlier
I was asking for it before I did the buy since I wasn't sure if Metroid was a G2L game. Had my local store test the code in the thread and it didn't work. Decided to take the leap and buy it anyways, and saw it was a different code.

Personally I do G2L because I can get trade credit instead of certs. With my certs, we're limited to using up to $105 in certs at once so if I want to buy a new console that is $300, I can't buy it completely with certs.

But with trade credit, the limit is $2k per trade card so I can pay for anything in with that credit. With that credit not having a low limit, I can also pay for items in full and not be charged tax, saving even more money.

With G2L, I can pay for the game with certs, not paying any tax too, and get back credit that has no limit. It's a win win for me.

I traded in an original launch model Xbox one and it was mint has everything but got 20$ off bc he said that’s what they have to do. It wasn’t even turned on to check if it worked but I got 140$ so I guess that’s ok. Kinda lame but I traded in other stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's messed up. If you're not going ham on promos I'd run it up the ladder and fill out the survey.

Wow, so have been out of the loop for awhile and decided to trade in 2 Xbox One X's at my local Gamestop yesterday. Had been sitting on them since the launch of the Series X last year and was no longer using them. It's insane how much they have gone up in value.

Last year I think I valued it on their site as getting about $300 total for both, which is probably why I wasn't in a big rush to trade them.

Looked yesterday and they were going for 250 each - so was thinking - $50, that's not bad and bundled them together and headed down to the store. Then they told me there was the a $25 boost for each console if you had Pro (I didn't but it was $15 so - $35 extra) and then a $50 boost for each Xbox Console as well. Had to swap out one of the controllers though since they said the right side rumble wasn't working (I had no idea, felt fine to me but their test said it wasn't working). All told, it came to almost $700.....I was blown away that Xbox One X's would be trading in for that much in 2021 lol. Ended up picking up a 1tb storage card for the Series X with the extra credit I didn't know I was going to be receiving!

Anyone who has multiple trade cards and is trying to combine them your best option would be to buy some stuff on 1 and return it and load up the other because you don’t need the exact same trade card to reload for a return.
Thanks for the response, I realized that right after I posted :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back