2 (100%)
Current Ad is 8/22 - 8/28/18
Weekly Ad:
https://www.gamestop.com/weeklyad

PDF version:
https://www.gamestop.com/gs/pages/weeklyad/current/082218/pdf/OLFSI_082218.pdf

Current Trade in Promos:

GS FAQ

How many copies of a game can I trade in?
​You are allowed to trade in 4 copies of the same game (same system) within a rolling 30 day period.

What do I need to trade in an older console?
The console, power cable, av cable, and controller. Sometimes they don't care about USB charge cable but ymmv. 3DS XL trade would be console, charger, and stylus. Some have reported being charged a refurb fee for missing the stylus, but again ymmv (answer stolen from anarchyburger)

FAQ will be entered when those questions get asked frequently.

Does the Pro Membership B2G1 coupon apply to only games, or accessories as well?
The coupon applies to both games and accessories, per the wording on the coupon.

I have a $XX.xx pre-owned reward certificate, and I want to use it on a B2G1 transaction. Should I?
It depends. If the three games are equal value, do not use your certificate. The value of the certificate would be applied to the free game, which would not benefit you. If one game is more expensive, you can use the certificate to make it the same value as the other two games ($5 reward certificate applied to transaction with two $10 games and one $15 game would make all three games $10).

TERMINOLOGY AND LINGO:
ASL/SL: Assistant Store Leader, Store Leader; manager positions at GS.
B2G1: Buy two, get one free. Typically refers to the coupon you receive when becoming Pro.
GCU/BB: Gamer’s Club Unlocked, Best Buy
GS: GameStop
JD: Junior detective, an employee who is out to get someone
LP: Loss Prevention; this is the department that actually bans accounts after being flagged.
TC/TiC: Trade credit.
TIV/TV: Trade in value, or what a game currently trades for. When posting a TV for a game, always use the base value.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that GameStop stopped gutting copies earlier this year with the last reorganization. Of course, there are still plenty of “new” games that were gutted prior to that change and are still in stock at various locations.
they stopped for a short period of time but started doing it again

Ah. Strange, but GS is nothing if not inconsistent.
The people who care about gutted games are a vocal minority. Less than 5% of people who actually shop there care. Have to realize their target demo these days is NOT informed consumers. When they switched to display boxes only by and large people HATED it, largely due to the half-assed nature of how Gamestop did it, but none the less it was a massive failure and they switched back after 3-4months.

I couldn't order tonight using just one trade-in card online that could have covered the whole purchase. It kept giving errors showing my card being applied for payment, but not allowing to save & continue. I finally just checked out with Paypal instead.
I had this issue yesterday and had to go to the store to solve it.

The people who care about gutted games are a vocal minority. Less than 5% of people who actually shop there care. Have to realize their target demo these days is NOT informed consumers. When they switched to display boxes only by and large people HATED it, largely due to the half-assed nature of how Gamestop did it, but none the less it was a massive failure and they switched back after 3-4months.
Where are you pulling the 5% number from? Corporate sourced data?

I agree 100% their target demo is not informed customers though. Everything about the customer experience has become worse lately which is a clear sign they aren't focused on customer experience.

Where are you pulling the 5% number from? Corporate sourced data?

I agree 100% their target demo is not informed customers though. Everything about the customer experience has become worse lately which is a clear sign they aren't focused on customer experience.
It's actually lower, that was generous. But yes, most people who care about it simply don't shop at Gamestop. That's the simple truth. The vast majority of people just want the game, and they want the game displayed so they know what it is in stock. You simply explained it's the last copy, it was on display, and are going to seal with a bag/seal sticker and has all the same return policy and such as a factory sealed, because to Gamestop it's the same thing. And yes, the majority of people don't care.

It's actually lower, that was generous. But yes, most people who care about it simply don't shop at Gamestop. That's the simple truth. The vast majority of people just want the game, and they want the game displayed so they know what it is in stock. You simply explained it's the last copy, it was on display, and are going to seal with a bag/seal sticker and has all the same return policy and such as a factory sealed, because to Gamestop it's the same thing. And yes, the majority of people don't care.
Yeah Gamestop drove away most anyone who does care about the shopping experience itself a long time ago so that would make sense.

They did, then at the end of summer they redid the stores (again) because of all the bitching about 'have a display of everything we sell, even if you don't have it in stock, and if not in stock order it for them'. So they went back to having the display gutted and sealed in the drawer.

My understanding is that GameStop stopped gutting copies earlier this year with the last reorganization. Of course, there are still plenty of “new” games that were gutted prior to that change and are still in stock at various locations.

I think there's a lot of factors here. Someone might care but not vocalize that to you the employee. Often times when it's the display copy I will refuse, but if it's a good deal or something hard to find, then I will just do it and not say anything about it. Doesn't mean I don't care. It's just frustrating as any other store that sells a display product at least knocks of 10% or something as they know it's no longer "new", even if it's on sale. I basically stopped accepting the opened "new" copies when switch games had the gold coins redeemed by scummy GameStop employees. I've even gotten a few opened "new" games online that did not have the seal sticker and that absolutely does not have the same return policy as an actual new game.

I think there's a lot of factors here. Someone might care but not vocalize that to you the employee. Often times when it's the display copy I will refuse, but if it's a good deal or something hard to find, then I will just do it and not say anything about it. Doesn't mean I don't care. It's just frustrating as any other store that sells a display product at least knocks of 10% or something as they know it's no longer "new", even if it's on sale. I basically stopped accepting the opened "new" copies when switch games had the gold coins redeemed by scummy GameStop employees. I've even gotten a few opened "new" games online that did not have the seal sticker and that absolutely does not have the same return policy as an actual new game.
Was at my local store a few weeks ago and a guy was trying to return a game that they had sold him gutted but new and they were being dicks to him saying he couldn't return it because it was opened when on the receipt it showed it was sold as a new copy. Dude went off on them about how the hell can they sell a game as new but it's opened and eventually they relented and gave him store credit in the total he paid, but it took a lot of cussing for them to finally give in. It was the manager at the store too, who is a complete and utter dick and I avoid dealing with him if at all possible.

Was at my local store a few weeks ago and a guy was trying to return a game that they had sold him gutted but new and they were being dicks to him saying he couldn't return it because it was opened when on the receipt it showed it was sold as a new copy. Dude went off on them about how the hell can they sell a game as new but it's opened and eventually they relented and gave him store credit in the total he paid, but it took a lot of cussing for them to finally give in. It was the manager at the store too, who is a complete and utter dick and I avoid dealing with him if at all possible.
So it's okay for them to sell something opened as new but not accept a return on that product? Interesting... I deal a lot with my 2 local stores but I do call beforehand to make sure they are on duty because I will only deal with one specific individual from each store. I'm not sure I would have accepted store credit in that scenario and it seems like the guy was nicer than I would have been.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Goddamn it first package from GameStop, I get one mint condition ps4 game and one with generic case..idk if I should look forward to my other orders coming in..ugh

Trust me, I get it.  I'm a person who won't buy a gutted game either, even if I was the person who gutted it in the first place.  But after tens of thousands of games sold, I can tell you it's a very small group who actually decline once they find out it's a gut.  Yeah, some people might not like it, but if they still buy it that isn't a lost sale to Gamestop so it has no impact on their metrics and view of it.   I agree it's pushed people away, but with what's left most people just buy it anyways.

I was wondering about the issues of trying to return a brand new "opened" game if you received it in the mail.  I figured the stores would give you a difficult time with the return?

I know if my new copy of Astral Chain comes in the mail opened, I'll be returning it or submitting a chargeback with my credit card company.

I was wondering about the issues of trying to return a brand new "opened" game if you received it in the mail. I figured the stores would give you a difficult time with the return?

I know if my new copy of Astral Chain comes in the mail opened, I'll be returning it or submitting a chargeback with my credit card company.
I'm thinking right now about how to exchange my generic case Spyro ps4 instore, man they're gonna look at me like I'm a douche

Took advantage of the console bump and traded in my switch for $260, ps4 pro for $325 and i was surprised i got $160 for my xbox one as i didnt know that was getting the extra $50

GS cancelled my standard Xbox S, shipped me a fortnite xbox series s, then updated the order to show a second fortnite series s bundle is shipping soon. I'm curious what will happen.

I'm thinking right now about how to exchange my generic case Spyro ps4 instore, man they're gonna look at me like I'm a douche
Too much overthinking. As long as have receipt of purchase that came with games,you'll be fine to swap out. They will not crucify for simply wanting cover art and if location does,go to another that won't

Too much overthinking. As long as have receipt of purchase that came with games,you'll be fine to swap out. They will not crucify for simply wanting cover art and if location does,go to another that won't
True, it’s just that one time I did that one employee just acted like I got him fired, not saying anything as he hands me the game

GS cancelled my standard Xbox S, shipped me a fortnite xbox series s, then updated the order to show a second fortnite series s bundle is shipping soon. I'm curious what will happen.
Is that what the email says or did you go to your order status on the web page and that's what you saw? The information tends to be different under your orders than what they email you.

Similar boat here, confirmed I have two boxes on the way via FedEx. Both around 8.5 pounds.

Got a random $50 charge this morning bringing the total up to $360.

Is that what the email says or did you go to your order status on the web page and that's what you saw? The information tends to be different under your orders than what they email you.
You are right. Order details shows a 300 dollar standard xbox one s was cancelled and that I have a 10 dollar Fortnite Bundle "preparing for shipment", for an order total of 24 dollars. No idea whats going on with GS.

Also
"Cyber Week Deal Spend $200 and Save $20 OR Spend $100 and Save $10"

Anyone remember when those spend 100 / get $20 coupons are supposed to be issued?

True, it’s just that one time I did that one employee just acted like I got him fired, not saying anything as he hands me the game
Employee overreacted. You aren't breaking any rules nor are they but if they refuse to help then it's more reason to get them on feedback

Know you'll resolve the issue

Will they make an exception for returning used games past 7 days right now?

I got two copies of Mario Odyssey and Aliens in store doing B2G1 but got two Marios again online later with a better third game. I didn't realize the policy is 7 days for used games, particularly since I was given gift receipts upon request. These were o be Xmas gifts. Kinda odd to use gift receipts if the receiver has a mere 7 days. 

Anyways, was paid with trade in credit and just looking for trade credit back. 

Has anyone ever had them make such an exception. It's been 10 days. Or does the system simply not allow it?

Also
"Cyber Week Deal Spend $200 and Save $20 OR Spend $100 and Save $10"

Anyone remember when those spend 100 / get $20 coupons are supposed to be issued?
Got my last B2G1s in yesterday, of course. Who would have thought that Cyber Monday would be the best day for deals?

Edit: So currency cards are not eligible for the spend $X, get $Y promo but digital codes for specific games are.

Got my last B2G1s in yesterday, of course. Who would have thought that Cyber Monday would be the best day for deals?

Edit: So currency cards are not eligible for the spend $X, get $Y promo but digital codes for specific games are.
Well, they have $100 PSN Store currency for $90. I bought two of those and got some digital games from the new End of the Year sale.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/11/28/end-of-year-deals-promotion-comes-to-playstation-store/

So I ordered a brand new copy of Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl with two 4” Mario figures for my son for Christmas. All shipped together and thought would be be good with an actual new copy.

Nope, as I received a gutted copy with a brand new sticker on the front of the box. Add to that the back of the case the plastic is messed up along the bottom area in multiple areas. Calling them this morning to rip into them and asking for a replacement.

Assholes.

So I ordered a brand new copy of Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl with two 4” Mario figures for my son for Christmas. All shipped together and thought would be be good with an actual new copy.

Nope, as I received a gutted copy with a brand new sticker on the front of the box. Add to that the back of the case the plastic is messed up along the bottom area in multiple areas. Calling them this morning to rip into them and asking for a replacement.

Assholes.
Just get a replacement. No need to rip into someone who has literally nothing to do with the game you received.

Just get a replacement. No need to rip into someone who has literally nothing to do with the game you received.
I actually was nice on the phone and got a nice rep as well. I over reacted when I said that as yes the rep has nothing to do with what happened. Just an in the moment thing when I posted after opening the box this morning.

They cannot guarantee a brand new replacement by Christmas so took the refund and get to keep the open box game.

So what was the deal you and a few others got in on? B1G1 consoles or something?
Yes, it was buy one Xbox 1 Series S get a second for 9.99. Seems like GS is handling it different for everyone.

Since it's a pricing glitch the should've just cancelled everyone's order, idk what will happen.

Yes, it was buy one Xbox 1 Series S get a second for 9.99. Seems like GS is handling it different for everyone.
Deal of the year for those get one for $9.99 or even the random $50 hold on their credit card someone else mentioned if it ships and charges that amount.

Guess I’ll be holding on to my PS5 copy of Guardians of the Galaxy a while. Base value dropped all the way down to $12. Strange. PS4 and Xbox versions still at $23

Switch Pro Controller at $50. Lowest everrr
Thanks for this! Moved on with free shipping. Everyone else seems sold out and amazon is a field of land mines of knock offs. Really wished they would have made some other colors by now that aren’t super hard to find or a super premium. (Monster hunter).

I actually was nice on the phone and got a nice rep as well. I over reacted when I said that as yes the rep has nothing to do with what happened. Just an in the moment thing when I posted after opening the box this morning.

They cannot guarantee a brand new replacement by Christmas so took the refund and get to keep the open box game.
Awesome on all fronts.

Your resolution brings up a good point — GameStop typically is extremely helpful with order mishaps, which is why I'm always confused when people are upset at what they received. In my experiences, especially when you're nice, it has always meant I'm getting more than I paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back