The General eBay Rant Thread

[quote name='HydroX']Sold a $60 item to a guy in Singapore. Shipped it out, and according to the tracking information it left the US on April 13th and is "in transit to it's destination".

The guy decides to open an "item not received" claim via PayPal. The only thing I can really ask him to do is to check with his local customs facility (which he said he did and 'nothing'). It's in PayPal's hands now. Am I fucked here or what?[/QUOTE]

Hate to say it but you're fucked. There is no tracking or actual DC to China so if they want to open an item not received case they'll win.

[quote name='foster1887']I love it when I sell 14 items and now have to open up 7 UNPAID cases. What is wrong with people?[/QUOTE]
I used to have those creep up every 10 transactions or so, but since recently switching my Paypal account to Premier, I just do fixed prices and require payment at time of purchase.

The only thing I'm worrying about now is getting a tax form (for 2013 taxes) from Paypal now that its no longer a basic account. I didn't get one last year, but maybe I didn't hit the threshold either. I certainly didn't save all my receipts...

[quote name='ferant316']Hate to say it but you're fucked. There is no tracking or actual DC to China so if they want to open an item not received case they'll win.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured. Thanks.

[quote name='HydroX']Sold a $60 item to a guy in Singapore. Shipped it out, and according to the tracking information it left the US on April 13th and is "in transit to it's destination".

The guy decides to open an "item not received" claim via PayPal. The only thing I can really ask him to do is to check with his local customs facility (which he said he did and 'nothing'). It's in PayPal's hands now. Am I fucked here or what?[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn when I sold my vita FEB case last year my buyer from Singapore had his tracking number as updated to delivered. It took long to get there.

If the guy filed INR, you'll still be okay since you paid for tracking.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I used to have those creep up every 10 transactions or so, but since recently switching my Paypal account to Premier, I just do fixed prices and require payment at time of purchase.

The only thing I'm worrying about now is getting a tax form (for 2013 taxes) from Paypal now that its no longer a basic account. I didn't get one last year, but maybe I didn't hit the threshold either. I certainly didn't save all my receipts...[/QUOTE]

If you sell 200 items and $20,000 in gross sales in a calendar year, they will automatically file a 1099-K form to the IRS.

If you meet that threshold, they'll inform you what they did come tax season.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Donut2922']If you sell 200 items or $20,000 in gross sales in a calendar year, they will automatically file a 1099-K form to the IRS.

If you meet that threshold, they'll inform you what they did come tax season.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was 200 and $20,000, not one or the other.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I thought it was 200 and $20,000, not one or the other.[/QUOTE]

My bad yes I didn't proof read my post. Edited now thanks.

So I just won a Paypal case where the buyer opened an ” unauthorized charge” claim on a DLC item I sold. He didn't even open the claim through eBay. I shipped it with tracking but I think what helped me more was that the buyer had actually left me positive feedback on my ebay account already.

It seems like either somebody's kid got access to their parents ebay account or I was just dealing with a dumb scammer. I was about to throw a fit if I were to lose since the DLC was used, but it all worked out in the end. A part of me feels vindicated and tempted to send him an email to rub it in his face that he won't be getting his money back and mock him but my rationale side says to just leave it alone.

Have you guys ever blocked someone who left you positive feedback? Apparently I missed some wear on a book I just sold someone (which is my fault for that oversight since I normally am pretty thorough with my descriptions), but they left me a positive while making it sound like I was deceptive in my listing practices. Added them to my block list anyway. "Ain't nobody got no time for dat" etc. Had the buyer messaged me about it I probably would have refunded him some money too.

I just started selling on ebay recently to try and make some money to help with my student rent and 2 / 7 of the items I've mailed have been claimed to be "defective"...all of them were brand new and sealed.
It sucks for me to keep losing out when I really need the cash. I suppose these people could be telling the truth...but who really knows :/ I'm just forced to believe them and refund them

[quote name='Donut2922']So I just won a Paypal case where the buyer opened an ” unauthorized charge” claim on a DLC item I sold. He didn't even open the claim through eBay. I shipped it with tracking but I think what helped me more was that the buyer had actually left me positive feedback on my ebay account already.

It seems like either somebody's kid got access to their parents ebay account or I was just dealing with a dumb scammer. I was about to throw a fit if I were to lose since the DLC was used, but it all worked out in the end. A part of me feels vindicated and tempted to send him an email to rub it in his face that he won't be getting his money back and mock him but my rationale side says to just leave it alone.[/QUOTE]

He can still file a chargeback through his credit card if he paid that way. You'll be out the original amount plus a $20 chargeback fee I believe. But yeah selling DLC on ebay is always a crapshoot, but its hard to resist when people pay so much for in-game crap. :lol:

[quote name='ferant316']Hate to say it but you're fucked. There is no tracking or actual DC to China so if they want to open an item not received case they'll win.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Donut2922']I could have sworn when I sold my vita FEB case last year my buyer from Singapore had his tracking number as updated to delivered. It took long to get there.

If the guy filed INR, you'll still be okay since you paid for tracking.[/QUOTE]

Just an update: I got fucked. PayPal sided in his favor, due to the tracking information being "incomplete" and not showing confirmation that it has been delivered. What a crock of shit.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']I just started selling on ebay recently to try and make some money to help with my student rent and 2 / 7 of the items I've mailed have been claimed to be "defective"...all of them were brand new and sealed.
It sucks for me to keep losing out when I really need the cash. I suppose these people could be telling the truth...but who really knows :/ I'm just forced to believe them and refund them[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what have you been selling?

[quote name='AJVtony831']Out of curiosity, what have you been selling?[/QUOTE]

I sold Pokemon White 2 (sealed) and Invizimals (sealed); these were the one's with problems according to the buyers. Mostly I'm selling PlayStation games along with some of my sister's DS games

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']I sold Pokemon White 2 (sealed) and Invizimals (sealed); these were the one's with problems according to the buyers. Mostly I'm selling PlayStation games along with some of my sister's DS games[/QUOTE]

How do you know that they weren't defective?

That is a real issue for small time sellers with sealed items. You really don't have a way to know the condition of what's inside and you probably don't have replacement stock if there are issues.

[quote name='yourlefthand']How do you know that they weren't defective?

That is a real issue for small time sellers with sealed items. You really don't have a way to know the condition of what's inside and you probably don't have replacement stock if there are issues.[/QUOTE]

Well that's what I said in my original comment I have no way of knowing so I have to refund them...but it just seems odd that this would happen twice in a row :/ I mean I bought the games myself (both as gifts for others which they didn't want) and I just had them safely in storage until now. It just makes me a little suspicious and I hate taking a loss. I can only hope they aren't lying and trying to screw me over

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Well that's what I said in my original comment I have no way of knowing so I have to refund them...but it just seems odd that this would happen twice in a row :/ I mean I bought the games myself (both as gifts for others which they didn't want) and I just had them safely in storage until now. It just makes me a little suspicious and I hate taking a loss. I can only hope they aren't lying and trying to screw me over[/QUOTE]

You should have told the buyer "Return for refund" and make sure they include all original materials (i.e. case, manual, insert, online pass, game disc, etc.) and tell them you'll issue a full refund upon return (I often refund return shipping within reason).

If they're being honest you'll get the items back and be able to test them for yourself. Hell if they are being honest you might even be able to get a refund from the retailer you originally purchased them from (assuming the buyer actually returns the item).

If they're not being honest they'll disappear once they realize you're not just going to hand over a free refund or they'll send a different item/copy of the same game back.

Either way I would just issue a refund without getting something back... all that does is enable buyers like this.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Well that's what I said in my original comment I have no way of knowing so I have to refund them...but it just seems odd that this would happen twice in a row :/ I mean I bought the games myself (both as gifts for others which they didn't want) and I just had them safely in storage until now. It just makes me a little suspicious and I hate taking a loss. I can only hope they aren't lying and trying to screw me over[/QUOTE]

Defective games are rare. More than likely someone is trying to scam and send you their beat to shit copy. On the other hand pokemon games are heavily counterfeited and a lot of the copies are shit.

I have seen defective games, one time our GameStop had defective copies of lost in blue, the game would freeze after a few min of playing. The person got a replacement copy and did not have that problem again. But I have never had a defective game myself.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have seen defective games, one time our GameStop had defective copies of lost in blue, the game would freeze after a few min of playing. The person got a replacement copy and did not have that problem again. But I have never had a defective game myself.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I think it boils down to user error. I have in the past month had buyers return copies of MLB 13: The Show and NBA 2K13 (360) due to being defective. Both games were originally sealed.

Both buyers said that the games would freeze their console (i.e. didn't load properly) and wanted replacements. I said no problem---assuming they returned all materials and that the online pass (MLB 13: The Show) hadn't been used.

In both instances I got my games back, in excellent condition (it didn't appear like they swapped an older broken copy out) and therefore I sent new copies and never heard from the buyers again.

However when I tested both games they both worked and played fine in my system.

I don't really see what either buyer would have to gain... all they did was waste their time if they tried to do so since they sent back working copies.

Sometimes I think the buyers may have consoles that are on their last leg or are modded/hacked or maybe they don't have enough free space to do mandatory installs.

[quote name='GBAstar']Sometimes I think it boils down to user error. I have in the past month had buyers return copies of MLB 13: The Show and NBA 2K13 (360) due to being defective. Both games were originally sealed.

Both buyers said that the games would freeze their console (i.e. didn't load properly) and wanted replacements. I said no problem---assuming they returned all materials and that the online pass (MLB 13: The Show) hadn't been used.

In both instances I got my games back, in excellent condition (it didn't appear like they swapped an older broken copy out) and therefore I sent new copies and never heard from the buyers again.

I don't really see what either buyer would have to gain... all they did was waste their time if they tried to do so since they sent back working copies.

Sometimes I think the buyers may have consoles that are on their last leg or are modded/hacked or maybe they don't have enough free space to do mandatory installs.[/QUOTE]

That last part is key - I cannot tell you how many people I have return a game as defective that works fine once I receive the return.

For example for Xbox 360 I test once on an old original style system and once on a slim both by booting to opening menu and then installing to hard drive. I also use Ariolic Disk Scanner to scan the disc for any possible errors so I know every disc I send works 100% and won't give errors further in the game.

Now I have had a few that passed all my tests perfect, and yet when I received the return they did not work even though they were the same ones I tested (I have a method I use to identify every disc I send out to ensure I don't have someone returning their own defective copies), most of the time it appears the fault of a weak or failing laser in the person's system.

The other scenario is they purchase the game, try it and don't like it so they complain that it is defective so they get a full refund as opposed to eating shipping costs.

The only time I've ever had a brand new sealed game be defective was Resident Evil (longbox type), where the first copy I bought had many circular scratches on the disc, due to some debris inside that spun around with the disc during shipping.

I've never had a cartridge game be defective, so I find it odd that Pokemon White 2 was flagged as such. Like others had said, ask for them to return the item first, and when you receive it, you will issue the credit.

I sold a brand new nba 2k13 for the ps3 to some guy on craigslist and he called me back telling me how the game was defective. He then figured out it was because of him. He didn't do the mandatory install which required an internet connection. Luckily I didn't have to deal with a return over ebay with him.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :) I did get everything worked out with the buyer for Pokemon White 2 (thankfully) but I'm still waiting on a response to the email I sent to the person who bought the Invizimals game. I would ask it to be returned but the game really isn't worth anything...
I offered a refund and asked him to get back to me on the matter but he hasn't responded...not sure what I should do next. It's been almost 3 days

I love how someone asks a question saying "I'm VERY interested in this item. Is there anything wrong with it?" "No, it's brand new and sealed." And then you never hear from them again.

Someone asked on the condition of a disc, I replied saying the disc is in like new condition with no visible scratches. Next day he replies asking for a video or pictures of the disc. Lol

[quote name='209chromatic']Someone asked on the condition of a disc, I replied saying the disc is in like new condition with no visible scratches. Next day he replies asking for a video or pictures of the disc. Lol[/QUOTE]
Send him a picture of your dick, or a camjack video.

I had a guy do that once, but he was a complete dick about it, telling me I was trying to rip him off by not showing the playing side of the disc. The bad part was, I actually did take a picture of that side for him, then he said I took another cd and took a picture of it because there was no way it could be used and look like that.

I had no replies, just a blocked bidder.

I have people all the time that ask within an hour of an auction ending with no bidders "Hey, can I get it for $XX.XX?"

I had a bidder buy an item and not pay for it. I opened up a case against him and 2 days later, he emailed me and said he would pay by Wednesday(yesterday) or Thursday morning. Should I close the case on him since he hasn't paid for the item yet? I want to resell it if he isn't going to pay

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I love how someone asks a question saying "I'm VERY interested in this item. Is there anything wrong with it?" "No, it's brand new and sealed." And then you never hear from them again.[/QUOTE]

I block someone when they ask a question like that. I feel like they are trouble if right away they are asking if something is wrong with the item. Last year I was selling a new game and someone asked if there was anything wrong with the game and what my return policy is if the game is defective. That was someone I didn't want to deal with since I thought they might be a scammer.

[quote name='209chromatic']Someone asked on the condition of a disc, I replied saying the disc is in like new condition with no visible scratches. Next day he replies asking for a video or pictures of the disc. Lol[/QUOTE]

I was selling a complete Doom on GBA and this one user asked me about the condition of the box and for more pictures. I tell him it's in great condition and then upload more pictures. After that he starts complaining about the GS sticker on the front of box, which was clearly in the original picture, and saying the box isn't in the condition I said it was in. I then flawlessly removed the sticker from the box, sent him the picture, and then never heard from him again.

Are you sure they weren't bootlegs? I once sold a Tactics Ogre gba game which had been unplayed in my backlog for years and it turned out to be a bootleg. I've also received bootleg DS games. So there seems to be quite a number of counterfeit portable games out there.

[quote name='GBAstar']Sometimes I think it boils down to user error. I have in the past month had buyers return copies of MLB 13: The Show and NBA 2K13 (360) due to being defective. Both games were originally sealed.

Sometimes I think the buyers may have consoles that are on their last leg or are modded/hacked or maybe they don't have enough free space to do mandatory installs.[/QUOTE]

Something similar happened to me. Bought F.E.A.R way back when I had a 20GB 360 and it would not play the game. So I contacted the seller and he sent me another one, which also would not play. Since the guy was nice enough to send me two games, I just dropped the issue. Years later when I got a 120gb Elite system, I tried them both out and they played just fine.

[quote name='YOUR BASE']I was selling a complete Doom on GBA and this one user asked me about the condition of the box and for more pictures. I tell him it's in great condition and then upload more pictures. After that he starts complaining about the GS sticker on the front of box, which was clearly in the original picture, and saying the box isn't in the condition I said it was in. I then flawlessly removed the sticker from the box, sent him the picture, and then never heard from him again.[/QUOTE]

It's been my experience that people who make these ocd type of requests are flakes. I post plenty of pictures and a detailed description, if that's not enough for them then I simply add them to my block buyers list.

[quote name='foster1887']I had a bidder buy an item and not pay for it. I opened up a case against him and 2 days later, he emailed me and said he would pay by Wednesday(yesterday) or Thursday morning. Should I close the case on him since he hasn't paid for the item yet? I want to resell it if he isn't going to pay[/QUOTE]

I'd never suggest closing an open case until the situation has been resolved. There's no guarantee a buyer won't flake out after you close the case. The fact that there's a case open shouldn't even be an issue to them if they intend to do what they promise.

Also I don't think can open a new case again after closing it. I'm not sure though if anyone can answer that.

[quote name='twiceborn']Are you sure they weren't bootlegs? I once sold a Tactics Ogre gba game which had been unplayed in my backlog for years and it turned out to be a bootleg. I've also received bootleg DS games. So there seems to be quite a number of counterfeit portable games out there.

[/QUOTE]

I work at GameStop and bought the game myself, so I'm 99.99% positive. ;)

when listing on ebay, i never use the like new description because it can bite you if the buyer wants to be a dick. I will usually under value the condition of the item and just have the cheapest price. For any used discs, I will put in my description ''game may have light scratches but does not affect playability.'' So when it sells, the buyer will be escatic with their purchase.

[quote name='dragoon99']I'd never suggest closing an open case until the situation has been resolved. There's no guarantee a buyer won't flake out after you close the case. The fact that there's a case open shouldn't even be an issue to them if they intend to do what they promise.

Also I don't think can open a new case again after closing it. I'm not sure though if anyone can answer that.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that.
Once that case closes out, they won't be able to a new case. The system will keep telling them that a case had already been item opened on this item and another one can't be opened again.

And yes, I second your advice. Never close an open case without a resolution. If you do it out of goodwill and the buyer( or the seller) bails on you, you will have no recourse.

This happened to me back when I was new on eBay.
Bought a set of headphones from a seller and when they hadn't arrived after almost a month from date of payment, I filed a case.
Seller said that the package had probably gotten lost, and that case would really hurt them etc etc and if I would be nice enough to close the case, he'd express me a copy the next day. I closed the case, and he stopped responding.
So I filed a chargeback with my CC, and luckily got the money back.

pitfallharry219 said:
I love how someone asks a question saying "I'm VERY interested in this item. Is there anything wrong with it?" "No, it's brand new and sealed." And then you never hear from them again.
I block someone when they ask a question like that. I feel like they are trouble if right away they are asking if something is wrong with the item. Last year I was selling a new game and someone asked if there was anything wrong with the game and what my return policy is if the game is defective. That was someone I didn't want to deal with since I thought they might be a scammer.
This next buyer got added to my block list as soon as I was finished reading the question. Yeesh. I didn't even bother answering them, because I can just feel that they're going to be a pain in the ass:

Hello, could you please answer these questions honestly:

1) Are all three discs the original white top/black bottom discs?

2) Could you tell me if there is any wear or damage whatsoever to the discs (top or bottom), or manual? For example: scratches, tears, loose pages, writing, stains, cracks, water damage, chips, scuffs, etc.

3) If there are scratches or scuffs on the discs are they miniscule and hard to see unless you tilt the disc in the light?, or, are they easily seen (about the width of a human hair or larger)?

I cannot bid on this game unless you answer these questions. Please do not post my questions on your auction due to privacy concerns. Thank you for honoring my request.

This next buyer got added to my block list as soon as I was finished reading the question. Yeesh. I didn't even bother answering them, because I can just feel that they're going to be a pain in the ass:

Hello, could you please answer these questions honestly:

1) Are all three discs the original white top/black bottom discs?

2) Could you tell me if there is any wear or damage whatsoever to the discs (top or bottom), or manual? For example: scratches, tears, loose pages, writing, stains, cracks, water damage, chips, scuffs, etc.

3) If there are scratches or scuffs on the discs are they miniscule and hard to see unless you tilt the disc in the light?, or, are they easily seen (about the width of a human hair or larger)?

I cannot bid on this game unless you answer these questions. Please do not post my questions on your auction due to privacy concerns. Thank you for honoring my request.
[/QUOTE]
That sounds like a really anal buyer that is looking for a prestine used copy. Which at that point, why not just look for a sealed new copy of the game instead?

But if it is any of SquareEnix's PS1 games(since it sounds like it), I can kinda understand why he was asking about the condition. Because their games seem to picky playing even with a minor scratch, with most problems happening during the FMV scenes.

That sounds like a really anal buyer that is looking for a prestine used copy. Which at that point, why not just look for a sealed new copy of the game instead?

But if it is any of SquareEnix's PS1 games(since it sounds like it), I can kinda understand why he was asking about the condition. Because their games seem to picky playing even with a minor scratch, with most problems happening during the FMV scenes.
Yeah, it's Final Fantasy VII. The discs aren't coasters or anything. Each one has maybe one or two very fine scratches at the worst. But like you said, it sounds like a collector looking for a new condition copy at a used price.

People really don't know how to describe the condition of a disc and its extremely sad. Maybe they don't care. Either way I do mine different than most people if there's even something insanely insanely insanely minor most would list it as like new while I list it as very good.

I got a negative feedback recently for a extremely impatient buyer which I still haven't got removed.

I shipped it fast as usual and he got it within 4 days, but for whatever reason he left a negative saying it didn't arrive on time. Yet, ebay doesn't seem to give a shit or help me about.

The guy had 0 feedback's.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any issue with relisting an item that got sold just because I don't want to retype the exact same description and go through all those options all over again?

For example, I have 3 copies of Halo. They're all in the same condition (brand new, unopened, blah blah blah). I only want to put one item in the BIN listing. It gets sold. I ship it and buyer receives it, leaving me positive feedback. A few days later I want to sell another copy. Can I just "relist" the first item that I sold? That won't automatically refund the first buyer will it?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there any issue with relisting an item that got sold just because I don't want to retype the exact same description and go through all those options all over again?

For example, I have 3 copies of Halo. They're all in the same condition (brand new, unopened, blah blah blah). I only want to put one item in the BIN listing. It gets sold. I ship it and buyer receives it, leaving me positive feedback. A few days later I want to sell another copy. Can I just "relist" the first item that I sold? That won't automatically refund the first buyer will it?
No it won't refund them or anything, but you should just list with quantity 3 if you have 3 to sell. That's one of the big factors of ebay search placement. With every copy of a multi-quantity listing that sells you get much higher search placement. They do this so the people that offer a good value and their products actually sell get priority over those who overprice.

No it won't refund them or anything, but you should just list with quantity 3 if you have 3 to sell. That's one of the big factors of ebay search placement. With every copy of a multi-quantity listing that sells you get much higher search placement. They do this so the people that offer a good value and their products actually sell get priority over those who overprice.
Oh really? Weird. I figured people would look less favorably on sellers that had multiples of one item.

bread's done
Back