The General eBay Rant Thread

Just to clarify again, I've never used eBay labels before, the ones you can print off. (I think I asked before but can't find my post) So how exactly do they work? The postal employee scans the label when you bring it to them and are you charged something for it like a flat fee or what? I know it gives you free tracking but I'm concerned about what they actually charge you for shipping if use the label for them to scan. I've never used them before and considering it but I don't know if it's worth it or not.

You pay when the label is printed. The rates are discounted from taking it up to the post office or buying it off USPS.com, and you do not pay any extra fees (unless you get insurance or signature confirmation or whatever) when using the labels. You can also drop it off in a mailbox instead of taking them to the post office.

It's not quite as much savings as before when tracking was extra if you got it from the post office, but it's still a good deal. Just try to print 2 or more at once. For whatever reason, if you print out one, eBay blows the label up and the text gets very thin and hard to read.

How do they base their price? Do they require you to enter weight, package size, and all that stuff? I have a hard time believing they're going to let you get away shipping something at dirt prices compared to what you'd pay at the post office. (Not saying I don't believe your answer just mean I'm just a little suspicious as to how much they'll let you save)

You have to enter the type of shipping (First Class, Priority, etc.) and the weight. The box dimensions are only entered if the package is more than 12 inches on any side.

And discounted =/= dirt cheap. You save about 40-50 cents or so via eBay, which is slightly more than USPS.com. One big advantage is that eBay offers First Class while USPS.com only offers Priority and above.

You can also drop off packages at Office Depot.

So I bought a phone from ebay and the seller sends me a message telling me how fast his phone sold and what shipping he will be using. I asked him if the phone has clean imei and we exchange messages for a while. sounds good and then he sends me this

see your in Cali I know you all have a lot of restrictions but it don't ever hurt to ask. U won't be the only one asked if you happen to know anyone into firearms and preferably have one of the AR rifles I have an new slidefire stock I paid about $369 for. Inspection stickers on it, original box and all. Never used. That I'm only asking $260 for. I actually listed it once ebay pulled it down though. Not really sure why. It did not seem to fall outside of there guidelines that they sent to me after listing removal. If not I will have to probley stick it on Craig's list. It's an 100% legal part. Not sure what's wrong with eBay. It comes with paperwork with the law from the federal gov stating its legal.

Lmao

And discounted =/= dirt cheap. You save about 40-50 cents or so via eBay, which is slightly more than USPS.com. One big advantage is that eBay offers First Class while USPS.com only offers Priority and above.
I'm sure you already know about this, but just repeating it for Navex and other users who aren't in the know, you can also print labels (including First Class) directly from Paypal. Of course it's a moot point if you are selling something on eBay, but good to know if you are selling on CAG or other places outside of eBay. Beats USPS.com or paying at the post office any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started printing my eBay shipping labels. I got my invoice the other day and I didn't know they charged %fee on the labels you print out. I printed a $5.05 Priority label and was charged .50 for a fee. Then sent a record for $11 and got charged $1.10.

Has eBay always charged people for using the shipping labels through them. If so then I will just print me off USPS.com and manually put in the tracking numbers. I thought the discount was nice but seems like you pay the same just eBay gets the savings over time.

Has eBay always charged people for using the shipping labels through them. If so then I will just print me off USPS.com and manually put in the tracking numbers. I thought the discount was nice but seems like you pay the same just eBay gets the savings over time.
I haven't sold anything in the past two weeks, but all I've been charged since then have been 10% final value fees from eBay (in addition to the rough 3% fee from Paypal), which takes it off both the item cost and the shipping cost. So if you advertised an $11 shipping fee on your listing, then eBay takes 10% of that value as well as the item selling cost.

If you are getting charged the 10% item cost + shipping cost, and then an additional eBay label printing fee, then that is news to me.

I haven't sold anything in the past two weeks, but all I've been charged since then have been 10% final value fees from eBay (in addition to the rough 3% fee from Paypal), which takes it off both the item cost and the shipping cost. So if you advertised an $11 shipping fee on your listing, then eBay takes 10% of that value as well as the item selling cost.

If you are getting charged the 10% item cost + shipping cost, and then an additional eBay label printing fee, then that is news to me.
Thanks Billytowshoes, I must have never noticed the shipping charges since I just started selling stuff again on eBay. Thanks for you breakdown as that looks correct. It just seems like when I go back to eBay after a break there's always new rules and new programs like (global shipping), etc.

I just started printing my eBay shipping labels. I got my invoice the other day and I didn't know they charged %fee on the labels you print out. I printed a $5.05 Priority label and was charged .50 for a fee. Then sent a record for $11 and got charged $1.10.

You're not getting charged a fee for printing labels through eBay.

You do get charged a Final Value Fee on the entire purchase price plus whatever you charge for shipping that is why its best to just build the shipping cost into your item price as you'll get automatic 5 stars in the shipping price Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) if you do that.

I also suggest you take a minute and read up on the user agreement and other several basic things so you're not confused about basic things like this as it will save you frustration down the line

You're not getting charged a fee for printing labels through eBay.

You do get charged a Final Value Fee on the entire purchase price plus whatever you charge for shipping that is why its best to just build the shipping cost into your item price as you'll get automatic 5 stars in the shipping price Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) if you do that.

I also suggest you take a minute and read up on the user agreement and other several basic things so you're not confused about basic things like this as it will save you frustration down the line
Thanks GBAstar for the information I appreciate it.

Thanks GBAstar for the information I appreciate it.

Not a problem. I'm not trying to be condescending but there have been many policy changes over the past few years and we always get frustrated buyers that complain about something like not being able to leave negative feedback for buyers (it's been years since you've been able to do that), having to pay FVF fees on shipping charges (started a little over a year ago), being forced to accept returns when they put "no returns" in their listing (SNAD claim and/or eBay policy trumps personal policy), etc.

In most cases you learn as you go... but sometimes its an expensive lesson

Not a problem. I'm not trying to be condescending but there have been many policy changes over the past few years and we always get frustrated buyers that complain about something like not being able to leave negative feedback for buyers (it's been years since you've been able to do that), having to pay FVF fees on shipping charges (started a little over a year ago), being forced to accept returns when they put "no returns" in their listing (SNAD claim and/or eBay policy trumps personal policy), etc.

In most cases you learn as you go... but sometimes its an expensive lesson
I haven't run into any buyer problems yet but I'm trying to get a grasp on all the changes. Thanks for shinning a light on those topics.

Kinda related to eBay since I did buy it there and there are quite a few experts here it seems when it comes to knowing shipping practices...

I was expecting a delivery today from FedEx as it said it was out for delivery today in my area but I just now checked the tracking again as they never take this long to come out this way and I see they had changed the status to Delivery Exception and now it's scheduled for a Monday delivery. Littled pissed and I'm curious why they did this. I was home today so I don't think it was a matter of no one being here, so anyone have ideas why this happened?

Thought I'd update on the global shipping program. I decided to let some go through after the first few and so far have not had any issues with any getting delivered. I think I've had about 10 so far and have received positive feedback for like 6 of them.

One was a pretty expensive kidrobot toy and no issues with that.

I do have a pretty large N64 bundle going now - so we will have to see what happens with it.

If this all goes through without a hitch I will probably just keep the option open at all times.

Hmm.... stupid question perhaps but is Media Mail at USPS considered anything electronic? I thought it was just books and CDs. I shipped 5 Tivo Network adapters and the lady said I could do Media Mail. Holy s*** is was cheap.

Hmm.... stupid question perhaps but is Media Mail at USPS considered anything electronic? I thought it was just books and CDs. I shipped 5 Tivo Network adapters and the lady said I could do Media Mail. Holy s*** is was cheap.
I'm pretty sure the lady was absolutely wrong on that. You're lucky if that gets through and doesn't get inspected then rejected. And it's not just books and CDs. Books, CDs, DVDs, etc. But definitely not video games. Here is a shortened run down of the Media Mail regulations: http://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121.htm

I'm pretty sure the lady was absolutely wrong on that. You're lucky if that gets through and doesn't get inspected then rejected. And it's not just books and CDs. Books, CDs, DVDs, etc. But definitely not video games. Here is a shortened run down of the Media Mail regulations: http://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121.htm
Waaaiit so it might go back to my home address? Goddammit. Will tracking say if it gets rejected? And can I somehow go pick up if it gets rejected? I'd like to get it to my buyer pretty quickly.

Waaaiit so it might go back to my home address? Goddammit. Will tracking say if it gets rejected? And can I somehow go pick up if it gets rejected? I'd like to get it to my buyer pretty quickly.
Media Mail is subject to inspection by postal inspectors as a condition of using that service to ship. So basically your packages would have to get randomly pulled out of all the thousands if not not millions of media mail packages randomly selected for inspection, or something about the packages would have to trigger some handler to pull it aside (if that's even a thing). Your packages will probably go through fine, but I wouldn't recommend misusing Media Mail in the future.

Totally just guessing in this paragraph: I honestly don't know what happens if one of your packages fails inspection - They might initiate a return to sender, which I believe the tracking should indicate. Otherwise they might push the package forward to the buyer's destination, then charge your recipient the difference between what you paid and what the correct cost for parcel post or whatever. Literally the mail man would ask for money at the front door. I suppose at that point your buyer could say "fuck that" and refuse delivery, which would then kick it back to you... and you'd probably have to pay that difference to get your package back would be my guess.

So I picked up a salvaged copy of GTAV on the cheap and put it up for sale.  I had someone with 0 feedback bid it up last minute to win it.  This was on Sunday.  They've yet to pay.  I've sent them 2 messages and opened an unpaid item case and still haven't heard anything from them.  It looks like they opened their account on Sunday as well.

I'm pretty confident that they're not going to pay me, but I might just be impatient.  Is there anything I should do to report them?  Frankly I was surprised at how high the bidding went on this.

So I picked up a salvaged copy of GTAV on the cheap and put it up for sale. I had someone with 0 feedback bid it up last minute to win it. This was on Sunday. They've yet to pay. I've sent them 2 messages and opened an unpaid item case and still haven't heard anything from them. It looks like they opened their account on Sunday as well.

I'm pretty confident that they're not going to pay me, but I might just be impatient. Is there anything I should do to report them? Frankly I was surprised at how high the bidding went on this.
Post their information in the non paying thread on CAG (on mobile so I can't link). Other than that not much you can do but I would attempt to sell the game on here first as you might get someone to bite considering its GTA V

I actually just realized that on the shipping label that you print from paypal that there is no place to put something like 10.6 oz, it would just be 10oz in that case. I guess there is an allowance and the .6 thing would be something that only applies to postage printed from a terminal at the post office. So I doubt there is a chance of a package getting delivered postage due if you don't have the exact weight to the point. I have also been able to round up to the next oz from what my scale says on almost all the packages I have sent out with no extra charges. So I think I am safe with this postage scale.

I actually just realized that on the shipping label that you print from paypal that there is no place to put something like 10.6 oz, it would just be 10oz in that case. I guess there is an allowance and the .6 thing would be something that only applies to postage printed from a terminal at the post office. So I doubt there is a chance of a package getting delivered postage due if you don't have the exact weight to the point. I have also been able to round up to the next oz from what my scale says on almost all the packages I have sent out with no extra charges. So I think I am safe with this postage scale.
You're always supposed to round up. They don't price things by 1/10 of an ounce. 10.6 oz = 11 oz. 1 lbs 0.2 oz = 1 lbs 1 oz. etc.

I'm a newb when it comes to selling internationally. I never wanted to deal with, or even worry about items traveling such great distances and get damaged/lost for whatever reason. I've always set up my listings to only sell to the lower 48 states.

A buyer has messaged me about shipping to Canada. I don't think I would mind shipping to Canada, but since I've never done it before, I'm not sure what I'd be getting myself into. Is the USPS tracking/delivery confirmation very reliable to Canada? Is the shipping prohibitively more expensive, and does it already include the DC? Will I need to complete customs forms? I wouldn't mind selling to this person, but I don't want to commit to it and end up taking a huge hit to my bottom line just to ship it to them. 

Sorry, but if anyone has tips/suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

T.I.A.!

I'm a newb when it comes to selling internationally. I never wanted to deal with, or even worry about items traveling such great distances and get damaged/lost for whatever reason. I've always set up my listings to only sell to the lower 48 states.

A buyer has messaged me about shipping to Canada. I don't think I would mind shipping to Canada, but since I've never done it before, I'm not sure what I'd be getting myself into. Is the USPS tracking/delivery confirmation very reliable to Canada? Is the shipping prohibitively more expensive, and does it already include the DC? Will I need to complete customs forms? I wouldn't mind selling to this person, but I don't want to commit to it and end up taking a huge hit to my bottom line just to ship it to them.

Sorry, but if anyone has tips/suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

T.I.A.!
This might be worth it if Canadians are willing to pay the extra shipping cost: https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-international.htm

Or you could give eBay's program a try.

On another note, there are a massive amount of fake GBA Pokemon games on eBay right now. And a massive amount of idiots suckered into buying them.

What should I do with this situation?

I just sold a record player to a guy with 1 feedback.

Then he sent me a message saying his Paypal address is wrong and gave me a different one...

Is this a sign that he is a scammer? Should I ask him to change his address on Paypal?

I noticed on Paypal the address goes to a University dorm, the address he gave me goes to a house.

What should I do with this situation?

I just sold a record player to a guy with 1 feedback.

Then he sent me a message saying his Paypal address is wrong and gave me a different one...

Is this a sign that he is a scammer? Should I ask him to change his address on Paypal?

I noticed on Paypal the address goes to a University dorm, the address he gave me goes to a house.

Just send him a messages similar to this:

Dear buyer,

Thank you for contacting me. Unfortunately due to PayPal and eBay policy I am only allowed to ship an item to the exact address on the PayPal invoice; doing otherwise would be a violation of my seller responsibilities. If you would like this item shipped to another location I can first refund you and once you receive the refund you can repay (if it was an auction) or repurchase (if it was a BIN) and at that time during checkout you can select the address where you would like this shipped.

Regards,

[You]

^ It certainly isn't a definite sign that he is a scammer but regardless if you ship the item anywhere other then what is on the invoice you lose all protection against Item Not Received claims and Unauthorized Use chargeback claims.

If it was a low value item and/or you don't mind taking a hit you can go ahead and ship it and roll the dice. Sometimes with low value items ( < $20) I just send it off because people do sometimes purchase items without taking two seconds to verify their billing/shipping information [even on CAG we get users asking how they switch their shipping address for purchases they made on Best Buy/Amazon etc.)

Quick question, Delivery confirmation and Signature Confirmation should be enough to be protected by ebay's seller protection?  Was paid but its a low ranked old account with the last purchase being from 4yrs back.  Sent a message to see if anyone would respond and figures no one did.

Quick question, Delivery confirmation and Signature Confirmation should be enough to be protected by ebay's seller protection? Was paid but its a low ranked old account with the last purchase being from 4yrs back. Sent a message to see if anyone would respond and figures no one did.
You only need delivery confirmation unless the item is over $250 I believe. Signature confirmation is a waste of time. If no one is home, the person then has to go down to the post office to pick it up, and sometimes buyers are too lazy to do that. Furthermore, even if they go down to the post office, most of the time they don't sign for it even though they receive the item, and the tracking goes un-updated so it doesn't even appear delivered/picked up. A better option to protect yourself would be to insure the item, but that may or may not be worth it on items below a certain threshold. Some people like to insure over $50 or $100 or $150 etc.

You only need delivery confirmation unless the item is over $250 I believe. Signature confirmation is a waste of time. If no one is home, the person then has to go down to the post office to pick it up, and sometimes buyers are too lazy to do that. Furthermore, even if they go down to the post office, most of the time they don't sign for it even though they receive the item, and the tracking goes un-updated so it doesn't even appear delivered/picked up. A better option to protect yourself would be to insure the item, but that may or may not be worth it on items below a certain threshold. Some people like to insure over $50 or $100 or $150 etc.
Thanks for the tip and explanation. I just wanted to be cautious. I don't really have problems with low scores but usually they at least have had more recent purchases. Still, I guess its safe to go with the insurance.

Just send him a messages similar to this:

Dear buyer,

Thank you for contacting me. Unfortunately due to PayPal and eBay policy I am only allowed to ship an item to the exact address on the PayPal invoice; doing otherwise would be a violation of my seller responsibilities. If you would like this item shipped to another location I can first refund you and once you receive the refund you can repay (if it was an auction) or repurchase (if it was a BIN) and at that time during checkout you can select the address where you would like this shipped.

Regards,

[You]

^ It certainly isn't a definite sign that he is a scammer but regardless if you ship the item anywhere other then what is on the invoice you lose all protection against Item Not Received claims and Unauthorized Use chargeback claims.

If it was a low value item and/or you don't mind taking a hit you can go ahead and ship it and roll the dice. Sometimes with low value items ( < $20) I just send it off because people do sometimes purchase items without taking two seconds to verify their billing/shipping information [even on CAG we get users asking how they switch their shipping address for purchases they made on Best Buy/Amazon etc.)
Update- So I relisted the item, but I noticed that after I refunded the guy for the first item, it seems I'm still getting a fee for selling the first one. Is there a way I can reverse that?

I have an ebay question. I came across my first ebay claim a week ago, yay. I recently sold a ps2 slim, with no returns accepted. The claimed item not as described, said it would turn on but not read games at all. They didn't email me first, and didn't email when i responded to the claim. customer service said to offer a return. I did that contingent upon the system being defective. Never heard from buyer, ebay cs emailed buyer for me, they never heard back. Box shows up today (with a post mark of yesterday), its the system, i opened it up and while most had never been taken out of the packaging i put them in, the system smelled very strongly like smoke. System worked great, no issues. So i called cs again, she at first was confused and i told her i didn't accept returns normally, and i think he was just trying to get around it, could i charge a restocking fee, just to cover my costs and shipping. She said hang on and just escalated the case and decided it in my favor. Now she said I don't owe the buyer anything, but I don't really feel right about that, is there any way to partially refund buyer?

TLDR: sold ps2, no returns, buyer claimed not as described, ebay finds in my favor, i now have ps2 and money, can/should i partially refund buyer?

Great story about the scammer. Serves them right. I wonder whatever happened to GBA's scamming customer?

Something I learned today which I wish I had experimented with years ago when I started selling on eBay:

When you know you have a non-paying bidder on an auction, you can submit a "Second Chance Offer" to the second highest bid while still having the ability to issue a non-strike case against the original winning buyer.  I thought you couldn't penalize the non-paying buyer if you were to offer a second chance bid but you can apparently.  I submitted the Second Chance Offer and even though the 2nd bidder did not agree to pay for it, I still just closed a non-strike case against my original winning bidder.  It seems to me that the original auction has just split into two separate auctions. This gives you the ability to ding the winning bidder's eBay account while still recouping and theoretically maximizing your auction price since the second highest bidder has reached their maximum bid price.

My bidder emailed me 20 minutes after he won the auction and claimed he had bid on my item on mistake.  Whenever that happens I always tell them that I don't cancel transactions and as a policy issue non-strike cases to properly inform eBay of my selling experiences (basically it's my excuse to give them the middle finger in return).  So I figured "what the heck, I wonder if I can still get my item at a decent price" and issued the Second Chance Offer. 

An interesting possibility this provides is that it may be possible that you can get away with selling an auction item twice to separate winners at two price points that you are happy with.  For example, if you are selling a product and you expect it to go for $100 but by chance the auction ends up at $120.  You may theoretically sell one item to the original winning bidder at $120 and a second item to the second highest bidder at $119.  This would be ideal when you sell an item that has a lot of competition with separate BIN listings that would lead you to sell your second item at $95 (closer to market value) upon your subsequent relist not to mention avoiding missing out on the potential profit due to a non paying buyer.  I'm only hypothesizing that you can sell it twice because it doesn't make sense to offer a Second Chance Offer while the original offer is open for a non-paying case.  If the Second Chance Offer was to nullify the original winning bid, then the buyer shouldn't have the ability to send payment while the non-strike case is being processed. 

Not totally sure on my second point as neither of my buyers ended up paying but just some interesting observations.  Apologies if it sounds confusing, I hate to be unclear in posts. 

I'm interested in this and have a friend who'll be in New York later this month, so I'd like to know if you'd ship to his hotel and if there's any way to make sure it would arrive between days 14 and 17. Thanks.
I just got this message from one of my listings. Yeah, no thanks man, not going to send a game blindly to some hotel, for some guy (who isn't even the buyer) in such a specific time frame. I don't know who would actually agree to this...

Need some advice here. I just sold a game on ebay. I recieved payment. But I was also told to change the address of the buyer to his current location which is some Military base. 

Hes stationed at  Ft Benning which is way diffrent from the default address ebay/PP gives me. What should I do?

Bahhh well I think I'm not going to bother shipping heavy things anymore. Sold a vintage record player for $170 and as I was carrying it to my car to go to Fedex the tape somehow snapped and the player dropped a couple feet and the dust cover broke off. Somehow it works but I offered the guy a full refund and sent him a pic of the damage, which ruined the value of it by quite a bit. Hopefully I'm not vulnerable to any negative feedback.

I need another opinion on something, I am selling a silver PSP 2000 and I have both the stock battery and the official sony extended batter( that sticks out a bit on this model) I also have the battery covers for this. Now since you are only allowed to ship a lithium battery if it's in its original device which battery do you guys think I should include with this bundle? Or should I get one of those $3 PSP battery chargers from eBay and stick the extra battery in that would that be enough to satisfy the USPS regulations for lithium batteries?

Just curious, what is everyone's opinions on sellers who message you saying "I shipped your package" despite eBay sending out an e-mail themselves?

Just curious, what is everyone's opinions on sellers who message you saying "I shipped your package" despite eBay sending out an e-mail themselves?
to me, it's like whatever. It's not going to affect my feedback since the condition will have a bigger effect. Maybe they don't realize eBay sends a notification or something.

bread's done
Back