The General eBay Rant Thread

So I FINALLY shipped the 1 pound 5 ounces package, costing me just $3.40 with eBay. Not bad considering I charged $4.00 for shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I FINALLY shipped the 1 pound 5 ounces package, costing me just $3.40 with eBay. Not bad considering I charged $4.00 for shipping.
That sounds like a media mail rate, games are not media mail.

For 3 full cased games, I use a flat rate envelope with some padding thrown in. It is the cheapest way to go and gets there fast.

Yeah it has to be media mail. Priority or Parcel Select would be well over $5 on the 1-2lb rate. You definitely aren't supposed to send games by Media Mail, and I never do, but that being said I have bought from some pretty large online companies and got my games via USPS Media Mail.

That being said I'm in the middle of a huge PayPal SNAD Dispute.

I sent a Wii U bundle (new, not sealed b/c Nintendo doesn't put seals on their consoles) to a buyer in another country. It was delivered the other day and he immediately opened a SNAD dispute stating that the gamepad and game (it was the M&L bundle) weren't in the box. He even did an "unboxing video" which I'm pretty sure was staged.

Anyway I always write down the shipping weights on my invoices before I file them. The shipping weight was about 10lb 8oz which is the same weight as other I sold so it had to of included the Gamepad. 

I also record the Serial numbers of the console and gamepad on my invoices. I have very little leverage but I'm trying to outsmart/trap him. I told him that I wanted to verify he received the same console and it wasn't switched in customs so I asked him to respond with the Serial Numbers from the box. He stated he already threw the shipping box and product box away as they have to recycle immediately in his country.

I said that was okay that I already had the S/N but I wanted him to confirm them----I then provided them and told him I'd be contacting Nintendo of America to have the gamepad deactivated since it was obviously stolen [I know you can't do this---but he doesn't]. He messaged me and told me to wait on contacting NOA because maybe his local post office would recover the gamepad.

The next day he said his local post office found the game pad but *Suprise* it's damaged. Furthermore he said the console is defective too and he's still missing the games.

I'm starting to lose my patience but I can't get into a battle with him at this point because I don't have enough for PayPal to rule in my favor as they are heavily buyer biased. I asked him to send me pictures of the damaged gamepad, showing the serial number, and the console as well as an explanation as to how it's defective (he doesn't have any games--and I want to say he initally said the power cord was missing).

I also said he'd need to fill out a form with the insurance company I use and he would be required to return all items before he could be issued a refund.

I'm pretty confident he was upset at the VAT/Import fees charged by his country and he's hoping to recover some money in a partial refund.

Either way this shit gets annoying.

Looks like eBay really did get rid of their "policies" ie shipping policies, etc when you list an item. They've been gone for a few weeks now and never came back.

Wow that sucks GBA. Good luck with that one. Whatever happened to the guy that claimed you sent him a game that was opened and stolen?

Wow that sucks GBA. Good luck with that one. Whatever happened to the guy that claimed you sent him a game that was opened and stolen?
I played along with him. He paid for USPS Express Mail, which I believe carries an automatic $100 of USPS insurance. I filled out a claim online, waited for it to pay out and then issued a refund.

USPS made the decision to pay it out really quickly---I was surprised. I think his eBay account went NARU (banned?) within a few weeks of that though. I'm going to guess he was a former seller that was pissed at eBay and decided to run a slew of scams until they kicked him off the site. Really not worth committing postal fraud though...

Ugh I hate some people on ebay...I just got screwed by a seller.

I won an auction for the zelda wii mote plus along with a goldeneye classic controller for $46. I was ecstatic to pay so little for both items & actually win. Guy marks the thing as shipped three days later, & no item came last week (the two week mark).
I contacted the guy on Wednesday, asking for a tracking number & he tells me there is none because I didn't pay for one (didn't even give me the option!). Then he says I must wait until Friday because he was supposedly out of town, claims he called the post office & they need to verify it is him before they return his package (because supposedly it was being returned).
Friday comes & goes, no message for four days. So last night I ask him did he call & does he know where my package is, and today I get a refund with no message! I didn't want a refund, I didn't ask for a refund. I wanted the items. I'm so pissed. I'm sure he faked sending the items so he could keep them & relist them to get more.

Is there anything I can do? If I called ebay would they do anything? I seriously doubt it...but I'm just so annoyed this has happened. The guy listed the auction as private too so I can't check if he already sold it to someone else.

That sounds like a media mail rate, games are not media mail.

For 3 full cased games, I use a flat rate envelope with some padding thrown in. It is the cheapest way to go and gets there fast.
I figured video games fell under the media category so just went with it. Tracking says it accepted the package.

I figured video games fell under the media category so just went with it. Tracking says it accepted the package.
They just auto-accept anything. But media mail is subject to inspection so it's possible (but not probable) that a postal inspector will look through your package at some point in the shipping process. If they do that either they'll kick the package back to you and you'll have to re-ship it properly, or they'll send it to the buyer but make the buyer pay the difference to get the package. Either way there are restrictions on media mail and eBay even puts a line saying "You certify to USPS that the contents of your shipment qualify for the Media Mail postage rate." so in the future you'll probably want to look up what qualifies.

I just use Excel after rolbe's site disappeared. Paypal is just 2.7% + $0.30, and ebay is just a flat percentage.
Paypal is actually 2.9%, but I get what you're saying. It's just nice to have a quick summary of final profits, which is why I like using that site.

That guy that ran the rolbe calculator, Ryan Olbe, actually died. That's what happened to his site.

Do sellers even care about getting negative feedback these days (with "buyer protection" and whatnot)?

So I won an item on eBay and the seller listed the shipping price as $8. I paid a day after the auction closed.  The seller messages me that any additional shipping charges will be followed up with implying that additional payment may be requested.  WTF?

So today they messaged me and stated that shipping was going to be $24 per the USPS quote (item is 10 lbs. and is going to cross multiple zones which is correct when I check the website).  I replied back that I don't feel like they are being direct with me.  This seller keeps beating around the bush and wants me to just offer up the additional $16 when I've messaged her a couple of times now to clarify what she's hinting at.  This is pretty frustrating and annoying. 

Any of my items that exceed first class postage weight requirements are always updated to include the variable shipping calculator.  It's not that hard.  Seller has 300+ feedback with 100%.  Really?

She'd basically be getting additional payment outside of eBay which is against the rules anyway.  Seriously, if I fucked up like she did I'd just eat the $16 than just haggle over it and look like some cheapass.  This is really annoying.  I'm tempted to neg her account to teach her a lesson. 

Yeah there are times when I first started I didn't calculate the shipping correct, and it cut into my margin pretty sharply.  I didn't complain and just took the cut, learned from it for the next time, no big deal in the end.

John Hammond had something to say about mistakes...

Yeah there are times when I first started I didn't calculate the shipping correct, and it cut into my margin pretty sharply. I didn't complain and just took the cut, learned from it for the next time, no big deal in the end.

John Hammond had something to say about mistakes...
So the seller doesn't respond to my email and just refunds my money outright. She also submitted the cancellation request but I rejected it to make sure she got stuck with the seller fees. I also just neg'd her account too.

I never agreed to a refund. I wanted my item shipped out and not to be charged additional shipping after the fact. I normally would have let it slide but I didn't appreciate her just forcing the refund on me. I would have taken it much better if she just said "you know I messed up I didn't know the shipping charges were going to be so high and it was a simple oversight on my part - no excuses I apologize." I got pissed reading her emails mentioning that "the post office quoted me $24 to ship. let me know how you want to proceed." She was never forthright about just asking me to pay the additional shipping. It was like she was trying to see if I'd just volunteer to pick up the tab without looking like she was forcing it upon me. She'd never respond to my direct question "are you asking me to pay for that? You're just making an observation without any specific instruction. i get this impression you are beating around the bush here." She wouldn't respond or acknowledge my question. Really irritating.

So the seller doesn't respond to my email and just refunds my money outright. She also submitted the cancellation request but I rejected it to make sure she got stuck with the seller fees. I also just neg'd her account too.
Sucks that it turned out this way, but good on you for calling her out and taking proper actions. She'll never learn if some people don't justly reply as you have. A little bit of kindness and understanding on her part would of gone a long way too, though, as you pointed out.

Yeah, I don't blame you either, good for you. That's absurd that she would think you should pay more for shipping after the auction ends and I support your decisions 100%.

I'm a very frequent seller on eBay nowadays, but when I first started getting into it about a year ago, I made a mistake similar to this. I was selling a crappy ps1 lot with the console and a few games and I think it sold for like $15. Well, I had no clue about the 4 lb first class limit for international buyers, and a Canadian ended up winning. I charged I think $15 or $20 shipping, and it ended up costing me like $40-45 to ship it because it was like 6 lbs. So in the end I just ended up sucking it up and learning from my mistakes, which you would think is the only logical way to go about it. I guess it wouldn't be so bad to politely ask and explain the situation, but don't demand it or expect them to pay extra for your error.

One of my emails was covering exactly just that: "If you are trying to imply I should pay for the additional shipping , it's actually against the rules on eBay. You can't send an additional payment without going outside of eBay thereby circumventing additional seller fees. I'm still confused about what you're trying to hint at. You keep avoiding answering my question about what you expect me to do exactly. Do you expect me to pay for shipping after the fact? I paid you the total amount due. If you were going to tack on additional charges, then that would have affected my bidding activity in the first place. This is really misleading. I wish you would just be as forthright with me as I am to you. Is the post office quote something I'm supposed to pay? I'm not getting a straightforward answer." Then boom - my refund comes in just like that.

Her lack of response for the last few hours tell me she's just going to remain silent and move on.

Her lack of response for the last few hours tell me she's just going to remain silent and move on.
What do you expect at this point? She doesn't intend to take a big hit on the shipping costs and now you've negged her and refused the cancellation and you've gotten your refund. There's literally no reason for her to respond to you for any reason, right or wrong. You got your money back, she's getting a lesson learned. Are you actively looking for her to fight you or something? If I was in her shoes and was going to be shitty like that, I'd remain silent and move on rather than try to antagonize you more.

Attempting to buy this item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281338913999

I ask the seller if it comes with the movie money (i.e. has the sticker been redeemed?)

This is his response.

:wall: If it wasn't such a good price I'd walk away now, but pending his response, I may still bite.
While that reply is frustrating, did you point blank describe the sticker and how the movie money works? If this person just ended up with several of these they might not have a clue about movie money.

I've never used movie money and have no idea how it works, so I wouldn't be able to tell you anything more than whether or not that sticker is on the box. I'm actually surprised it's just a sticker thing because you'd think that would be super easy for someone to peel off and steal in the store. But I guess a sticker is easier/cheaper/lazier than printing an insert to put into the print run of the product that will be on the shelves during the time the new movie is in theaters.

My buyer still hasn't left feedback even though I said in the description "Please don't forget to leave feedback" AND I gave him positive feedback. Screw you strider0591

What do you expect at this point? She doesn't intend to take a big hit on the shipping costs and now you've negged her and refused the cancellation and you've gotten your refund. There's literally no reason for her to respond to you for any reason, right or wrong. You got your money back, she's getting a lesson learned. Are you actively looking for her to fight you or something? If I was in her shoes and was going to be shitty like that, I'd remain silent and move on rather than try to antagonize you more.
I'm not expecting anything more at this point. I'm just making an observation now that communication has stopped between us.

It'd have been better if she just confessed to her mistake though because as I said before, I would have let it slide and left her feedback rating alone and approved the cancellation. Depending on if she was going to respond in a certain way, I suppose I was ready to continue fighting since the whole ordeal is still fresh in my mind.

Just had a buyer do a bank reversal on me, and I contacted eBay (who later forwarded me to Paypal, I was primarily calling to check if it counted as a defect) who told me that they are investigating the buyer due to suspicious circumstances as they initiated over 200 bank reversals. I asked eBay why someone who initiated that many bank reversals was still an active eBay member and they told me they cannot reveal details of investigations.

Still BS to me, creates hassle I don't need just because eBay lets scamming buyers thrive and yet knock down good sellers who just run into bad luck/spells.

Posted the buyers name/addy in scammers thread.

What kind of bank would even let someone do that 200 times?
Easy, you say your eBay account was compromised and someone else purchased it all. They filed it as an Unauthorized Transaction. I had someone break into my Paypal account years ago due to a keylogger spyware that Malware Bytes didn't pick up on. They emptied my Paypal account and bank account attached to my Paypal account buying all Paypal shipping labels to the Middle East. That was well over 200 transactions, I had to sit there for hours going transaction by transaction signing sheets saying I did not authorize them.

This is definitely a case of a scammer, all the items they bought recently were video games and searching their info online turns up all kinds of forum posts by them about collecting video games. What I hope gets them is they actually left positive feedback for a number of other sellers, so how are they to say their account was compromised for some of the transactions but not the rest? My best guess is they went on a shopping spree, then later realized they overspent/needed money for bills and decided to scam people to recoup the money.

Sold a couple game inserts that fit in a regular sized envelope and figured I'd take a gamble just this one time and just use a coupe stamps and drop it in a mailbox instead of getting tracking, because I only sold it for $5.99 with free shipping, so paying for shipping/tracking would kill the whole thing and I'd practically make nothing. So I mailed it out.

Low and behold "Item not received" case opened today. One item shipped with no tracking in 100 sales, and of course this one has an issue. Seller has 250 positives, so I had less hesitation than if it was a 0 feedback seller.

They asked for tracking and if not, then 50% off refund.

Wow, funny how that happens huh? Haha, I'm sure they're full of it and are just fishing for the partial. If someone hasn't actually received the item, they always want a full refund not 50%, at least in my experiences. Should've just shipped it first class through eBay, would've been about 2 bucks and still left a few bucks for ya.

And to think early on when I was selling about 80-100 items a month, I was shipping using my local post office and no tracking. It's a miracle I never got burnt on higher end items, looking back on it.

I generally hate when buyers don't contact you first before opening a case. It's just stupid. I said before I'm taking a stand against buyers, and I am here. He's not getting a partial refund. I'll take the negative, strike, whatever comes with it. I feel better with myself at the end of the day doing it this way and that's more important than my account being in better standing to me.

Hell, even if he escalates it and I lose the whole sum, I'll feel better for having taken a stand. Just out of principle.

i always agree with taking a stand against buyers who are just fishing for a partial refund because I can't stand them.

But in this case, you shipped without tracking. You will no doubt lose the case. Since it's such a cheap item, I would probably just do the 50% refund on this one and be glad you didn't have to refund the whole thing.

That's just me though.

Actually, I checked just to make sure and Paypal won't even let me partially refund if I wanted to. Funds are held and the option isn't there in Paypal. So, there's that...

first time ebay seller here and i got a buyer that had one positive feedback in the last month. i shipped him the item not thinking and i have not recieved payment

http://www.ebay.com/usr/mstjunis86

he seems to have bought and paid for a couple things in the meantime and gotten postive feedback. he wont respond to me at all. i opened a case and thats where am t right now. so you pay for other bids but not mine!! he definitely hosed me

his address is weird as well

704 Kingshill Pl
# KT12670
Carson, CA 90746
United States

i tried to intercept my package and usps failed. and even charged me yet failed. calling them up for answers

I generally hate when buyers don't contact you first before opening a case. It's just stupid. I said before I'm taking a stand against buyers, and I am here. He's not getting a partial refund. I'll take the negative, strike, whatever comes with it. I feel better with myself at the end of the day doing it this way and that's more important than my account being in better standing to me.

Hell, even if he escalates it and I lose the whole sum, I'll feel better for having taken a stand. Just out of principle.
Cases open automatic if a buyer select to contact you via "not received" or "not as described". You could thank ebay for that.

first time ebay seller here and i got a buyer that had one positive feedback in the last month. i shipped him the item not thinking and i have not recieved payment

he seems to have bought and paid for a couple things in the meantime and gotten postive feedback. he wont respond to me at all. i opened a case and thats where am t right now. so you pay for other bids but not mine!! he definitely hosed me

704 Kingshill Pl
# KT12670
Carson, CA 90746
United States

i tried to intercept my package and usps failed. and even charged me yet failed. calling them up for answers
That isn't that weird an address. I have seen far stranger.

I'm getting real goddamn tired of sellers not reading ebay/Half.com item quality policies. I've been trying to finish up my Xbox360 collection with some out of print games, and I only ever buy "new" or "like new" but I get people sending me discs that are unreadable. I attempt installing each disc on 2 different consoles if it seems questionable, and I've been getting ones that fail the test on both. Not to mention getting stuck with resealed games when I order brand new.

Then I paid for expedited shipping on one from Half.com. Half's policy states PRIORITY MAIL. It says nothing about first class. Yet, the asshole shipped first class, with no padding, and the case to the game got crushed. Then he gets all pissy when I give him negative feedback. I'm done ordering used unless it's from Amazon Warehouse deals. I actually ordered a game "like new" from warehouse deals and got a sealed copy earlier this month, security sticker and all. I was shocked. lol

Of course, for every good order, I get screwed on another. I had a guy wait 2 weeks to actually ship my order then make excuses. It's obvious from his feedback, he's made different excuses for the same problem before. I didn't want to order from him, but there were all of 2 listings for that game. I'm still waiting for the damn thing, but he sent a tracking number now.

I'm getting real goddamn tired of sellers not reading ebay/Half.com item quality policies.
Ask questions before making the purchase...

Example: Can you ship this in a box? Is it factory sealed? Is the disc playable?

704 Kingshill Pl
# KT12670
Carson, CA 90746
United States

I almost guarantee that is a freight forwarding address (i.e. a company that international buyers use in which they have all their packages sent there and then combined into a single freight shipment to save money).

The "# KT12670" is the buyer's account with that company. I would imagine, that if you google mapped it you'd find a warehouse or storefront.

Sold a couple game inserts that fit in a regular sized envelope and figured I'd take a gamble just this one time and just use a coupe stamps and drop it in a mailbox instead of getting tracking, because I only sold it for $5.99 with free shipping, so paying for shipping/tracking would kill the whole thing and I'd practically make nothing. So I mailed it out.

Low and behold "Item not received" case opened today. One item shipped with no tracking in 100 sales, and of course this one has an issue. Seller has 250 positives, so I had less hesitation than if it was a 0 feedback seller.

They asked for tracking and if not, then 50% off refund.
Definitely a scammer looking to take advantage of you not using tracking. I'd almost say ignore the dude. If he's ballsy enough and pathetic enough to escalate it, MAYBE eBay will see the red flag with his message. Who wants 50% off for something they didn't receive? Obvious scammer is obvious. But knowing eBay you'll still lose. You should definitely post this guy's info in the scammer thread here.

Ask questions before making the purchase...

Example: Can you ship this in a box? Is it factory sealed? Is the disc playable?

I almost guarantee that is a freight forwarding address (i.e. a company that international buyers use in which they have all their packages sent there and then combined into a single freight shipment to save money).

The "# KT12670" is the buyer's account with that company. I would imagine, that if you google mapped it you'd find a warehouse or storefront.
Yep. A quick Google search shows an industrial area. Plus side is an INR is next to impossible as long as shipping shows it gets to that address, whether or not the freight people get it to the buyer. The downside is not as described, etc. is still in play.

I forgot eBay decided to stop free insertions on BINs in certain categories. I listed a bunch of graphic novels and didn't pay attention to the amount of fees I'd owe before listing each one because I had unpaid final value fees from sold items there too. At $0.30 a pop, eBay managed to get me for $3.60 in fees.

I obviously should have paid closer attention. Looks like they're trying to force people into using auctions after spending all that time trying to entire sellers to use BINs with the free listings. Time to start factoring that extra $0.30+ into every listing's price.

The last time I had an item not received was when I sent out a DLC leaflet the same method, but the guy said his next door neighbor had it and brought it over and he closed the case without incident.

Since his feedback was 250, I was thinking maybe he isn't a scammer, but the chances of the first item I send out without tracking in a long time being lost is very slim. I mean it happens, but the post office doesn't lose stuff often.

I responded to the case and sent him messages. No response yet. I'll see.

I forgot eBay decided to stop free insertions on BINs in certain categories. I listed a bunch of graphic novels and didn't pay attention to the amount of fees I'd owe before listing each one because I had unpaid final value fees from sold items there too. At $0.30 a pop, eBay managed to get me for $3.60 in fees.

I obviously should have paid closer attention. Looks like they're trying to force people into using auctions after spending all that time trying to entire sellers to use BINs with the free listings. Time to start factoring that extra $0.30+ into every listing's price.
I noticed that last week as well, luckily I only posted one item before I realized it. Just another thing to account for I guess.

just sold another item and this guy bought it

http://www.ebay.com/usr/tomato86816?_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2754

SE jun Lee
704 Kingshill PL.
#KT12670
Carson, CA 90746
United States
(213) 748-5118

his address has the exact same thing ((including the se jun lee part)) including the same "account number. it does look like its a warehouse. im beginning to think this guy has like twenty accounts

A friend of mine set up a new ebay and Paypal account for the first time, because he wanted to start buying things on ebay. He linked his savings account to his Paypal.

When he tried to buy something on ebay, at checkout it kept asking for a card # and he called Paypal and them told him if he wants to use his savings account with Paypal to buy stuff, he needs a card # with it, but with a checking account he wouldn't.

It's been a long time since I set up my Paypal account, but something about that sounds off. Anyone know if that's the case? I could have sworn I've known people who just linked their account numbers without a card # with it.

bread's done
Back