The General eBay Rant Thread

What happens if you don't have the funds to pay ebay fees in your paypal or bank account when they collect fees once a month. Do they charge you a fee for waiting for their payment?
I would guess they might send a collection agency after you at some point. I'm sure many of people have thought to cut and run to avoid paying fees. Why take the risk?

Gah damn, USPS prices got jacked up. Even with the eBay discount postage is still above $3.00 for a lot of First Class. And, of coure, the flat rates are still $3 for First Class and $6 for Priority.

Trying to redeem my ebay gift card from the selling promotion ($100) for a Gamestop GC and Paypal is not working for me... at all.

I called Paypal, and they told me it's a common problem theyre working on fixing. So, until then I can't make ANY purchases on ebay through PayPal. And I wanted to get an Xbox One tomorrow :(

Gah damn, USPS prices got jacked up. Even with the eBay discount postage is still above $3.00 for a lot of First Class. And, of coure, the flat rates are still $3 for First Class and $6 for Priority.
Didn't that happen a couple of weeks ago? I think I've typically always paid at least that much for small items, unless you're shipping feathers or something. Meh, gas prices and inflation go up, so does the price of transporting stuff.

Why does paypal give a buyer or sender 180 days to make a claim.

Like WTF 180 days

It should be like a 30, 60, or 90 day max.

Makes me not even want to sell or use ebay when someone can come 179 days after the transaction and open a claim against me.

The amount I sell on ebay since just starting is enough that I wouldn't even remember if a claim opened against me six months down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really getting annoyed that ebay removed the "Require Instant Payment" from Fixed price listings. Yes, my Paypal account is Premier, but I still don't have the Instant Payment option.

I had 3 listings that I put up for the $10 maximum final value fee promotion, and all 3 sold to different people in Korea with a US Address. Okay, fine - I've had it happen before without issue, and the addresses are just package forward companies.

It's been 4 days and none of them have paid me. I saved over $90 in final value fees because of the promotion, which I'm going to lose because these people aren't going to send payment. I'll have to relist the items, and I HIGHLY doubt I could get ebay to still honor the $10 final value fee promotion for me.

Bah! :( One angry girl right now!

I haven't tried but try it out with the mobile app since it has to use a different interface.
Yea, I had to edit it on my mobile app. The weird thing was, it was letting me list in classic view. Then on one item, after hitting submit, it went to their new interface, with no way of going back to classic view.

So I ordered a PS Plus 1 year card from Best Buys eBay store, I just checked the tracking and it says it was delivered yesterday but there's nothing in my mailbox. Am I screwed if I open a dispute since it says it was delivered?

So I ordered a PS Plus 1 year card from Best Buys eBay store, I just checked the tracking and it says it was delivered yesterday but there's nothing in my mailbox. Am I screwed if I open a dispute since it says it was delivered?
Does the tracking show it was delivered to your zip code? In theory, yes you'd be screwed if you opened an INR dispute and escalated it. You'd be at the mercy of Best Buy's customer service.

Does the tracking show it was delivered to your zip code? In theory, yes you'd be screwed if you opened an INR dispute and escalated it. You'd be at the mercy of Best Buy's customer service.
It does unfortunately. I'll wait a couple of days before I contact them, maybe it will turn up. If not then hopefully Best Buy can do something for me. Thanks for the response.

If it doesn't arrive in your box today, contact whoever the shipping service was.

I got my package delivered today, not sure what the deal with it was. I've contacted eBay already and told them to cancel my dispute. Only problem is that I bought another card since I didn't think this one would show up. Didn't really need 2 but oh well.

So I was wondering opinions on this. I had an issue with a bad buyer on eBay years ago and it turned me away from the site until a few months ago when I started selling a lot of stuff I've been wanting to get rid of. No real problems until today (maybe). I had sold an item 2 months ago and tracking shows it as being delivered to the address eBay provided. Today, I get an email from eBay saying the buyer has opened an unreceived item case. This is his message...

"I never received this item. For some reason, it was shipped to my old address in Florida, but I have lived in 2 different states since then. It wasn t forwarded to me. My address is ---------"

Obviously, I am not at fault for him not receiving his item since I shipped to the only address given to me, but knowing eBay, I'm a bit concerned about this guy causing me trouble. I assume he is fishing for a refund, but why would I agree to that when it's clearly not my fault and he admits his info wasn't updated, not to mention this was sold 2 months ago and he didn't even message me or open a case until today.

So I was wondering opinions on this. I had an issue with a bad buyer on eBay years ago and it turned me away from the site until a few months ago when I started selling a lot of stuff I've been wanting to get rid of. No real problems until today (maybe). I had sold an item 2 months ago and tracking shows it as being delivered to the address eBay provided. Today, I get an email from eBay saying the buyer has opened an unreceived item case. This is his message...

"I never received this item. For some reason, it was shipped to my old address in Florida, but I have lived in 2 different states since then. It wasn t forwarded to me. My address is ---------"

Obviously, I am not at fault for him not receiving his item since I shipped to the only address given to me, but knowing eBay, I'm a bit concerned about this guy causing me trouble. I assume he is fishing for a refund, but why would I agree to that when it's clearly not my fault and he admits his info wasn't updated, not to mention this was sold 2 months ago and he didn't even message me or open a case until today.
That's nothing to really worry about, since all you have to do is say that you shipped it too the address provided and give the tracking info that says it was delivered. The most ebay would do is issue the buyer a curtesy refund out of their pocket, and you'd still get to keep the money.

I would ignore the email. Don't engage in this kind of crud. Especially if you mention that you shipped it to his address, he might get smart and change his scheme to a SNAD. If he's going to esalate what he said in his message to you, let him open a case for INR. Then when he does that, give eBay the tracking info for the PayPal verified address, and you will prevail.

That's nothing to really worry about, since all you have to do is say that you shipped it too the address provided and give the tracking info that says it was delivered. The most ebay would do is issue the buyer a curtesy refund out of their pocket, and you'd still get to keep the money.
Thanks. That's what I was hoping.

I sold a case and manual only and the guy that bought it is trying to return it because there was no disk inside and the listing said it did (it didn't)

I responded to the return request by asking where it said the disk was provided and I said I made it clear it was disk and manual only. Should I be safe if they try to escalate it or not? Here's the listing if you wanna see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-360-Dead-Island-Case-and-Manual-Only-/301643993485?ssPageName=ADME:X:RINTS:US:1120
Rule of Thumb is NEVER escalate a SNAD (not as described) case as the seller. If you want to be proactive call ebay customer support and explain the situation and see if you can find someone who is sympathetic.

I'm looking to possibly ship one of these massive suitcases. Need it to be in a box. Wondering where I can find a box big enough. Also which service would be better- USPS or UPS? Around 35" Wide, 14" deep, 30" tall.

O2SNyMP.jpg

I'm looking to possibly ship one of these massive suitcases. Need it to be in a box. Wondering where I can find a box big enough. Also which service would be better- USPS or UPS? Around 35" Wide, 14" deep, 30" tall.

O2SNyMP.jpg
You probably couldn't ship that USPS if you wanted. The dimensions are probably prohibited.

If a regular USPS truck had to pick up like 2-3 of those size packages at once they would have no more room.

Probably has to go UPS ground.

The dimensions of that package is probably going to have shipping rates that eat into your profit.

O2SNyMP.jpg
UPS or FedEx for sure UNLESS they live in a state that is very close to yours, then depending on the actual dimensions it may be cheaper to ship USPS.

You "should" be able to create shipping labels for FedEx through eBay. I can, but it may be restricted to PowerSellers or TopRatedSellers.

Typically though, anything that gets charged a "dimensional rate" (i.e. is big) is always cheaper for me to ship by UPS Ground or FedEx Ground/Home.

I actually went to FedEx today. They don't sell a box big enough, but could do a custom box( $30 ). Total would be well over $100, from Indiana to New York. That seems like A LOT though. Maybe UPS would be cheaper?

I hope that the new eBay app fixes these photo glitches. Kinda tired of taking or uploading the same damn pic 5 times for every listing.

[quote name="Ferrari Racer" post="12773068" timestamp="1435461661"]I actually went to FedEx today. They don't sell a box big enough, but could do a custom box( $30 ). Total would be well over $100, from Indiana to New York. That seems like A LOT though. Maybe UPS would be cheaper?[/quote]

You can get a quote on the ups website

I sold a case and manual only and the guy that bought it is trying to return it because there was no disk inside and the listing said it did (it didn't)

I responded to the return request by asking where it said the disk was provided and I said I made it clear it was disk and manual only. Should I be safe if they try to escalate it or not? Here's the listing if you wanna see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-360-Dead-Island-Case-and-Manual-Only-/301643993485?ssPageName=ADME:X:RINTS:US:1120
Is that right?

Is that right?
Meant to say case/box and manual only.

Regardless aside from the only reply from the buyer which was

"When I selected the game it had the disk with it too then when I got my game the disk was not in it."

I haven't received anything back and ebay is telling me I got 2 days left before it escalates. I'm starting to think I'm boned.

What is the best way to approach the issue of a package that has not arrived on time? I haven't been an active ebay member for a while now, so I'm not sure if the process has changed what with the split between paypal and ebay. Even when I was a regular seller, I never really dealt with a whole lot of shipping problems.

A buyer recently brought to my attention that a package I shipped via Priority Mail on the 23rd has been sitting at a sort facility about 15 miles from their home for the past four days. The tracking/delivery confirmation follows a normal route, but once it hits "arrived at sorting facility" on June 25th (the estimated delivery day), it stops dead in its tracks. I googled the sort facility (Kearny, NJ), and it apparently has a pretty bad reputation with delayed and lost packages... probably not unexpected for a busy shipping center on the fringes of NYC.

I told the buyer to hold tight for a week and we will see what happens, but in case it doesn't show by then: what is the best recourse as a seller in this situation? I am trying to avoid a worst case scenario in my mind  where the buyer gets a refund early on, only for the delayed package to arrive a few days later. In this case, the buyer decides to keep the money AND the item, and I can't file an insurance claim.

What is the best way to approach the issue of a package that has not arrived on time? I haven't been an active ebay member for a while now, so I'm not sure if the process has changed what with the split between paypal and ebay. Even when I was a regular seller, I never really dealt with a whole lot of shipping problems.

A buyer recently brought to my attention that a package I shipped via Priority Mail on the 23rd has been sitting at a sort facility about 15 miles from their home for the past four days. The tracking/delivery confirmation follows a normal route, but once it hits "arrived at sorting facility" on June 25th (the estimated delivery day), it stops dead in its tracks. I googled the sort facility (Kearny, NJ), and it apparently has a pretty bad reputation with delayed and lost packages... probably not unexpected for a busy shipping center on the fringes of NYC.

I told the buyer to hold tight for a week and we will see what happens, but in case it doesn't show by then: what is the best recourse as a seller in this situation? I am trying to avoid a worst case scenario in my mind where the buyer gets a refund early on, only for the delayed package to arrive a few days later. In this case, the buyer decides to keep the money AND the item, and I can't file an insurance claim.
I've had this happen several times to me this year and what I usually do is have the buyer open a item not received case, then I provide the tracking info. Ebay usually decides "seller not at fault" and issues the buyer a courtesy refund and you get to keep the money.

I told the buyer to hold tight for a week and we will see what happens, but in case it doesn't show by then: what is the best recourse as a seller in this situation? I am trying to avoid a worst case scenario in my mind where the buyer gets a refund early on, only for the delayed package to arrive a few days later. In this case, the buyer decides to keep the money AND the item, and I can't file an insurance claim.
Isn't Priority Mail automatically insured for up to $50 now? And for whatever reason, USPS lets the sender or receiver file the claim. So depending how much the item in the package is worth, there's one avenue to get money back.

Have you actually tried contacting the post office though? USPS is really inefficient with it's customer service. You contact them, your local branch contacts you and says they're looking into it, and that means you have to hope they bother to call the sort facility where the package is stuck.

If you really want results your best bet will be to somehow find the phone number for that sort facility and give them a call directly. Usually if you call the post office closest to that sort facility they'll get annoyed at you, but give you the actual phone number for the sort facility.

You could also try filing a claim with the US Postial Inspection Service to see if that lights a fire under anyone's ass to get the package moving again.

If there's no movement within the next couple of days, you need to get proactive.

I took that suit case to UPS and they told me it would cost around 250 fucking dollars to ship it if it was in a box from Indiana to Long Island, NY. Does that seem strangely high to anyone else? The suit case is huge, bigger than most normal suit cases, but empty.

I took that suit case to UPS and they told me it would cost around 250 fucking dollars to ship it if it was in a box from Indiana to Long Island, NY. Does that seem strangely high to anyone else? The suit case is huge, bigger than most normal suit cases, but empty.
It's the dimensions of the box not the weight of it.

You're taking up a lot of space to process and have it go through transit.

That is something not worth shipping but selling as local pickup only.

Looks like my problem resolved itself. Yesterday, the tracking updated saying it was delayed (no duh) and that it left the sorting facility. Eight hours later, I received another notification saying that it just left the sorting facility (again), but luckily it went out later this evening and was delivered. The buyer said the box was damaged (apparently my shipping box was drenched by a big oil stain, so USPS placed it in another box and smothered it in packing tape), but the item inside was safe and secure so no worries there. Apparently the buyer had some other horror stories with this Kearny sorting facility, including one package that left the sorting facility, went 100 miles to another facility, then back to Kearny before shipping off to its destination.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on my issue, I knew I could file a claim or even call the post office to try and light a fire under their ass, but I wasn't quite sure how it worked on the eBay side of things. I wasn't aware that they would sometimes refund both parties.

[quote name="needler420" post="12781734" timestamp="1435866549"]uhh I hate ebay sniping. Impossible to think you will a auction.[/quote]

what does this even mean?

I tried starting a bid at the 17 second mark and by the time I was outbid it was too late to even get another bid in even though I would have still paid more.

I never won a auction before and thought my timing was right to win lol.

I tried starting a bid at the 17 second mark and by the time I was outbid it was too late to even get another bid in even though I would have still paid more.

I never won a auction before and thought my timing was right to win lol.
That's why when you're sniping an auction you need to throw your max bid as close to the end as possible instead of gradually increases

Alright, got another eBay problem. I relisted an item and forgot to check it before relisting it and so an international seller was able to buy it. He's from Mexico and the stupid shipping options won't allow for Delivery Confirmation. I don't really know what that is, so should I refund the guy and not ship it?

Also, why the hell are there so many games being sold without a manual on eBay. I don't mean the newer games that never came with a manual. I mean the old ones that do have one. Where does the manual go? Do they eat the manual or something?

Also, why the hell are there so many games being sold without a manual on eBay. I don't mean the newer games that never came with a manual. I mean the old ones that do have one. Where does the manual go? Do they eat the manual or something?
Tons of retro games that became rentals would often rent the manual out with the game and often have the game returned with no manual.

I remember I kept multiple manuals from rentals and even have gone as far to steal manuals from cases of the rentals when I was a kid. I would also ask for them too.

I think a lot of people did a combination of those things. If they didn't steal it in store like me lol they would keep the manual from the rental.

Same reason why you see a high rate of the rental stickers on the cart. Any rental store had a higher chance of having the cover art over the manual. The cover arts were never put out.

Tons of retro games that became rentals would often rent the manual out with the game and often have the game returned with no manual.

I remember I kept multiple manuals from rentals and even have gone as far to steal manuals from cases of the rentals when I was a kid. I would also ask for them too.

I think a lot of people did a combination of those things. If they didn't steal it in store like me lol they would keep the manual from the rental.

Same reason why you see a high rate of the rental stickers on the cart. Any rental store had a higher chance of having the cover art over the manual. The cover arts were never put out.
I remember stealing a manual from gamestop about 8 yrs ago and it was for radiata stories for ps2.

Bought a $100 item to utilize the promotional matching credit that eBay did with sales in the video game category, seller shipped on time.  It took a bad turn (literally) when the tracking number updated that it was routed to Omaha, NE.  I live in NC and the seller shipped from CA -- it should have gone to Raleigh or Greensboro within my state, and then to the local P.O. for delivery.  Two days later, tracking shows it is back at the same city it originally shipped from.  

Trying to remain objective, I open a case request for contact with the seller for clarification about what the problem is.  48 hours later, I get this response:  "There was a problem delivering to the provided address, we will go ahead and ship this out for you ASAP again. We apologize for the inconvenience."  That was yesterday evening and I've yet to get another update.

You can't get any more vague than that.  I know problems happen (especially when it comes to the USPS), but as a seller myself, I would be providing as much possible detail to assuage any concern from a buyer.

I sold some mylar balloons and then get a message from the buyer in Spanish asking if I can change the size of the balloons. I had to use a translator to figure out the message and then use a translator to say I only have the balloons in that 1 size. I'm glad I didn't ship them yet since I'll probably be refunding them.

Alright, got another eBay problem. I relisted an item and forgot to check it before relisting it and so an international seller was able to buy it. He's from Mexico and the stupid shipping options won't allow for Delivery Confirmation. I don't really know what that is, so should I refund the guy and not ship it?
Bump.

[quote name="Narukami" post="12784267" timestamp="1436001087"]Bump.[/quote]

Was it expensive? If not, just send it. If it was, then it's up to you, but it's pretty crappy to cancel on the buyer due to your mistake.

I wish eBay/PayPal cracked down on scammers. Even though I still kept the money, they refunded some scammer back a 100 dollars from 3 months ago.

Some woman claimed her account was compromised and everything was stolen. I of course sent to the official address so I'm okay. I then googled the girls name and it goes right to her facebook which lists her living as the exact same place where I sent the pacakge.

I even forwarded that to the paypal people showing that she was just scamming, but then I get the note saying that she got her money back but Paypal will send me over the money too because I followed the rules. How easy it is to scam them is horrible.

I had the same thing happen about 4 months ago by some crappy guy. He said his account was compromised and wanted his money back, but he had it sent to his small business! He owns one of those mobile gaming centers for birthday parties that are around now (its like a truck with systems and TVs inside them). I went online and found his facebook and address and that is where everything went. Gave PayPal all the same info how it was sent to his company that he lists on his website, facebook, etc. and they still gave him back his money. Once again I didn't lose anything, but it is stupid. That is just part of the reasons all our fees go up.

bread's done
Back