The General eBay Rant Thread

That's theft, fraud, and dishonest. I would threaten to sue him.
Thank you, I agree. eBay did not. They said had he returned a different model or different item entirely they could help but as it was the same model item there was no way to prove it was not the same one I sent him (because makeup foundation gets caked in every orifice of a cell phone case within minutes of use right?)

It was only $30 so it is better to just give him his money back than risk a defect and possibly losing my top rated seller discount which is $50-100 a month plus increased sales from higher search placement. However if some poor yelp reviews pop up for his store when negative feedback can no longer be left I would not be surprised.

Had this happen a few times. One really pisses me off (brand new Otter Bkx case) because he has a store and sent back a different one than he purchased that was covered in his stores price stickers and beat to hell. Conveniently he wanted to return it 11 minutes after DC marked it as delivered too.
If he did that, then that is mail fraud. Don't take that lying down. Threaten to report him to the police and if eBay gives you any grief, tell them you'll report them for aiding and abetting. Don't let trash like that get away with stuff like this.

Exactly. Can't let yourself be bullied. Gotta go down swinging. He committed fraud and sent you an item back which was not yours. Just out of precedent alone, I would make a big stink about it, even if it was a $5 item. Gotta let people know they can't get away with shady things like that.

Is it risky to sell a sealed vintage game on eBay? Debating if I should do it.
It is as risky as ebay is in general. I personally have had very very very few times where someone tried to rip me off, but it does happen.

Curious - what game is it?

Pretty much the only way to get a real decent value is to go the eBay route. If you try to bring it to Craigslist expect at the very most probably 70% of what you would get on eBay (assuming you find a collector).

Different question - I ordered some sticky labels to use instead of taping shipping labels onto my packages. Do any of you guys use them and have you had any problems with them? They seem plenty sticky but all of these years I've just been taping labels on there and feel like I'm spending way too much time doing that.

Probably going to sell a sealed copy of Doom Troopers for the Genesis at some point.
Just take plenty of pictures. I've never had problems selling on eBay and this is is many transactions ranging from a few dollars to well over a thousand but I always go over the top when it comes to taking pictures and showing all angles.

Also, those who think it's worthwhile to "teach someone a lesson" because "of the principle" don't end up selling on eBay for long. It is wise to file a fraud report with the postal inspector (can be done online) as it will at very least get him on the radar of the USPS if it is something he does with frequency but to get all excited over being defrauded on a low value item isn't really worth the time or effort.

It depends on what is more important to the individual person. I would gladly lose my ebay account out of principle if it came to it. Some may not be willing to go there.

Listing as the proper condition goes a long way in preventing fraud as well, I think people go through the listings and look for mis- listed items such as acceptable items listed as brand new and yes I see it all the time then they intentionally bid on those items and then open a dispute as soon as they can for item not as described.

Listing as the proper condition goes a long way in preventing fraud as well, I think people go through the listings and look for mis- listed items such as acceptable items listed as brand new and yes I see it all the time then they intentionally bid on those items and then open a dispute as soon as they can for item not as described.
Assuming they have to send back the item, what's the point?

I think if an item is listed as one thing and comes as another (a disc only game listed as brand new because it was never played) eBay will automatically rule in favor of the buyer and the buyer will get a refund and get to keep the item.

I think if an item is listed as one thing and comes as another (a disc only game listed as brand new because it was never played) eBay will automatically rule in favor of the buyer and the buyer will get a refund and get to keep the item.
As long as the seller responds to the case the buyer always has to ship the item back.

Just take plenty of pictures. I've never had problems selling on eBay and this is is many transactions ranging from a few dollars to well over a thousand but I always go over the top when it comes to taking pictures and showing all angles.

Also, those who think it's worthwhile to "teach someone a lesson" because "of the principle" don't end up selling on eBay for long. It is wise to file a fraud report with the postal inspector (can be done online) as it will at very least get him on the radar of the USPS if it is something he does with frequency but to get all excited over being defrauded on a low value item isn't really worth the time or effort.
Although I agree with you that it's personally not worth risking an account over, I respect ShadowAssassin's position. If nobody ever speaks up, nothing ever changes. He's steadfast in his principle and that's cool. Since I use eBay as essentially a business, I look at it differently like you.

I reached a big milestone recently in my personal life having fully paid off my wife's school loan. It started off at $70K and through our job salaries (mainly of course) and eBay income, just last month we were able to make the final payment without a dime from our parents. It was a momentous occasion - I celebrated by buying a PS4 (cag style of course - $0 out of pocket). But it was important to us because we had a principal of not accepting anybody's help. We could have easily asked for money and received it but it was just a personal choice we made together. I don't work full-time on my eBay account but the income I made off that site was helpful in getting me towards our goal.

I guess my post is not so much of a rant but actually a rave for once!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick Question:

How do you use Paypal to pay for shipping on a item outside of Ebay auctions? I have noticed when I trade with people on this site they usually have a printed label just like an Ebay auction item would?

Thanks in advance.

Purchased: Tablet for wife's birthday, supposedly new in box

Received: Cardboard box with some crumpled newspaper and three packs of Sour Patch Kids inside.

I assume eBay will handle it and I'll get my money back but man that just ruins your day.  Already opened the claim, etc.  Also paid with a credit card via eBay/Paypal so I have the protections there and it's not money out of my checking account.  The tablet was a "good deal" but not remarkably cheap.  About the price of a refurb unit so easy enough to imagine someone getting one as a gift/prize and deciding to turn it for some cash.  I'm just in the mental state between "I know this will get handled" and pissed that I need to "handle" it in the first place :whistle2:x

Man I feel like such a god awful idiot. I posted a phone on eBay last night and it sold the following morning and I've spent all day on and off talking to the "Buyer" because he doesn't understand anything about how eBay works. He kept saying he was wondering how he could buy it, and if he could pay for it and I didn't understand WTF he's been talking about since I already received payment.

Nope. He never bought it. I've been talking to some random person who was too late to the auction all day and thought they were my buyer.  :wall:

Received: Cardboard box with some crumpled newspaper and three packs of Sour Patch Kids inside.

I assume eBay will handle it and I'll get my money back but man that just ruins your day. Already opened the claim, etc. Also paid with a credit card via eBay/Paypal so I have the protections there and it's not money out of my checking account. The tablet was a "good deal" but not remarkably cheap. About the price of a refurb unit so easy enough to imagine someone getting one as a gift/prize and deciding to turn it for some cash. I'm just in the mental state between "I know this will get handled" and pissed that I need to "handle" it in the first place :whistle2:x
What was his feedback like? Similar thing happened to me with a Xbox One one time. The guy gave my money back in a few days without asking for the package back.

I assume eBay will handle it and I'll get my money back but man that just ruins your day. Already opened the claim, etc. Also paid with a credit card via eBay/Paypal so I have the protections there and it's not money out of my checking account. The tablet was a "good deal" but not remarkably cheap. About the price of a refurb unit so easy enough to imagine someone getting one as a gift/prize and deciding to turn it for some cash. I'm just in the mental state between "I know this will get handled" and pissed that I need to "handle" it in the first place :whistle2:x
Were the Sour Patch Kids bags sealed? If so, did you eat them?

They were sealed and I did not eat them.  Obviously I need to save them for the CSI team for evidence.  Also, they kind of feel stale in the bag (to add insult to injury).

I uploaded a photo of the mailing label showing a weight of 1.3 lbs and noted that the tablet by itself weighs 1.24 lbs (per manufacturer's spec sheet) plus the weight of the packaging, charger, the packing materials in the shipping box, the box itself, etc could not have possibly been only 1.3 lbs if there was a tablet in that box.  It would, however, be the weight of a box, some newspaper and three 4oz bags of candy.

The seller responded with the usual "Oh no, I totally sent it and don't know what could have happened, why are you doing this to me?" schtick.  Annoying that I have to wait until the 22nd for eBay to step in and take any real action.

They were sealed and I did not eat them. Obviously I need to save them for the CSI team for evidence. Also, they kind of feel stale in the bag (to add insult to injury).

I uploaded a photo of the mailing label showing a weight of 1.3 lbs and noted that the tablet by itself weighs 1.24 lbs (per manufacturer's spec sheet) plus the weight of the packaging, charger, the packing materials in the shipping box, the box itself, etc could not have possibly been only 1.3 lbs if there was a tablet in that box. It would, however, be the weight of a box, some newspaper and three 4oz bags of candy.

The seller responded with the usual "Oh no, I totally sent it and don't know what could have happened, why are you doing this to me?" schtick. Annoying that I have to wait until the 22nd for eBay to step in and take any real action.
Was the crumpled newspaper location specific? That could also add further damning evidence to your case if you don't live anywhere near the seller.

The seller requested that eBay settle the case and included a photo of the tablet wrapped up neatly in tissue paper with a little "thank you!" card on it. which was funny because they never actually sent ME that picture (as the sent me a photo of the mailing label and the sealed box) so I guess the idea here is that they just take photos of their wrapping jobs for their own kicks?

Anyway, eBay contacted me and said that it looked as though I received an empty box so to sign some affidavit and fax it back. Which I did and I'm hoping that's the last step.

I am writing you in regard to the [---tablet---] that you recently purchased. After reviewing your case, I understand that you received an empty box. I know how frustrating it is when a package arrives and it is empty. I can see that this has been quite a process for you to try to resolve. I want to make sure that you are taken care of today.

In order to continue with the investigation of your eBay Buyer Protection case, please provide eBay with a declaration confirming that you received an empty box.

Please sign and date the declaration below, and fax it to eBay.

I'm going to be selling a ps3 soon. What I want to know is If I withdraw the money out of my account.

If the buyer scams me or whatever what happens if both the bank and paypal don't have funds?

This is just assuming something bad does happen. I'm just trying to see what I could do.

I'm going to be selling a ps3 soon. What I want to know is If I withdraw the money out of my account.

If the buyer scams me or whatever what happens if both the bank and paypal don't have funds?

This is just assuming something bad does happen. I'm just trying to see what I could do.
If I am not mistaken, it sends your Paypal account into the negative, then they send it to collections after a certain amount of time.

I would probably transfer it to your bank as soon as you get it, then disconnect the bank account from Paypal.

If I am not mistaken, it sends your Paypal account into the negative, then they send it to collections after a certain amount of time.

I would probably transfer it to your bank as soon as you get it, then disconnect the bank account from Paypal.
Thanks. They would still send you to collections anyways right? I wouldn't want that either tbh.

I just want to be sure nothing goes to shit. Obviously I am going to describe it we'll, I am an honest person when it comes to selling online.

I just got turned into a power seller just now lol

I bought Panzer Dragoon Orta for Xbox and they sent me a copy of NBA Jame on the Snes. Why could it have been something like chrono trigger instead  :D/

Man ebay has been getting really annoying lately. Is there simply no way to contact sellers without opening a case? I hate opening cases unless I have to and I'm sure this was an accident.

Is this performance level a new thing? Just saw it for the first time. Looks like I'm standard right now with above standard being projected. I noticed the amount of transactions where I added tracking is only 28%... I should probably work on that.

Is this performance level a new thing? Just saw it for the first time. Looks like I'm standard right now with above standard being projected. I noticed the amount of transactions where I added tracking is only 28%... I should probably work on that.
Yes, I believe they went live with that on 7/20.

I was under the impression that it was effectively replacing DSR's, but for some reason the DSR's are still showing. Maybe they're phasing it out?

Yes, I believe they went live with that on 7/20.

I was under the impression that it was effectively replacing DSR's, but for some reason the DSR's are still showing. Maybe they're phasing it out?
No. The new standards are based on a defect rate, which is the percentage of 1,2, or 3 scores in any DSR category, neutral or negative feedback, a case being opened by the buyer, or a seller cancelling a transaction because they ran out of stock or sold it to another buyer.

If any of those things happen during a transaction the seller gets a "defect". You can only get one counted defect per sale transaction even if all or multiple of those things happen in a single sale.

DSR's are still going to stay and I believe you still need to maintain 4.8's or better in each DSR category as well as stay at or below 2.0% defect rate to maintain TRS status

Also, for the other poster, if you ever want to be top rated you need to be at 90% or above in regards to tracking uploaded within one business day.

How long would be appropriate to open an "Item Not As Described" case? I received a DVD set of Game of Thrones instead of the Blu-Rays and its been about a day and a half since sending the seller a message without a response.

I am still top rated seller with something like 1.9 defect rate and like 97% tracking uploaded. The thing is someone left me a neutral feedback by mistake (they even posted in the comment that it was a mistake) and this person does not know how to remove the feedback. I assume this counts toward my defect rate even though I did nothing wrong.

Question regarding selling preorders guys. If I were to list an item and it sold, do I just leave the item marked as un-shipped until I get the item and actually ship it? I guess my question is would it be okay to leave it un-shipped until then?

Question regarding selling preorders guys. If I were to list an item and it sold, do I just leave the item marked as un-shipped until I get the item and actually ship it? I guess my question is would it be okay to leave it un-shipped until then?
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/pre-sale.html

You have to be able to ship in 30 days and set the handling time to how many days until you receive the item to ship.

So I sold a razer onza controller on ebay and somehow the right joystick got messed up in the mail. He wanted me to refund him when he send me the tracking number for the return, but I told him that I could only refund him when I received it back(he has 0 feedback). Now he messages me back saying that he wanted an instant refund(when it's marked delivered), and if I fail to do so he will leave negative feedback, but if I instantly refund him he will leave positive.

So I sold a razer onza controller on ebay and somehow the right joystick got messed up in the mail. He wanted me to refund him when he send me the tracking number for the return, but I told him that I could only refund him when I received it back(he has 0 feedback). Now he messages me back saying that he wanted an instant refund(when it's marked delivered), and if I fail to do so he will leave negative feedback, but if I instantly refund him he will leave positive.
Tell him that's against eBay rules and his feedback threat is actually reportable to eBay. It's written in their policy if you want to link it for him.

Yep, sounds like a threat to me.  $50 also says that if you actually get a controller back for that tracking number he provided, it's either a broken controller that wasn't yours or it's a rock wrapped in newspaper.

If you sell a lot of higher-priced items on eBay and Amazon, it may be worth it to invest in something like this:  

http://www.blacklight.com/InvisID

What does this guy mean by this? Am I just shipping it to the LA address?

hi, I want to buy your Uncharted 3 Collectors edition. I am based in the Philippines but have a Los Angeles, California address. is this OK? many thanks.

hi, I want to buy your Uncharted 3 Collectors edition. I am based in the Philippines but have a Los Angeles, California address. is this OK? many thanks.
Yes. He likely has someone in LA, whether it be family or a forwarding service. If it gets delivered to LA and you have tracking that shows that, you're safe in that regard. He still could try and pull a SNAD if it gets damaged on the way to the Philippines, assuming he gets it before the window to open a case is up.

What the above poster said... just make sure he doesn't pay, use a philippines address and request that you ship it elsewhere (i.e. CA) because you'll lose your seller protection if you do so.

Also if he has it reshipped and it is damaged by the forwarder, and you can proved it was reshipped, then you are not liable. But we're talking about eBay here.... and they don't always follow their own rules

Ugh, some buyer left me negative feedback (brought me down from 100% to 98.7%) when eBay appears to ruled that neither of was at fault I guess since the refund seem to come from eBay's pocket. However, I want to try and remove this negative feedback.

The item was a PS2 JRPG game including an original PS2 game case, the case art in good condition, and the manual, and ended up selling for only 3.75 including shipping, but I described it fairly well, especially compared to most other video game sellers, and the disc worked when it was in my possession even though it had scratches. However, possibly due to eBay's idiotic contacting seller automatically becoming an opening of a case, I get notified a case was open with the message "Game does not work." I am very sure that the game works but I know in a recent experience that a PS2 may not be able to some discs while still able to read others, and the "non-working" disc still works on another console. So I replied saying that it may not be disc and to check his/her own console in case theirs may start to be degrading. Instead the buyer replies with another 4 word message "disc does not work" (no capitalization nor punctuation). It seemed to me that buyer doesn't want to bother with what I said and just flats out wants a refund. I replied saying I'll refund as soon as I get the item back and then he/she escalates the case into eBay customer support. The message I received was that I was not found at fault and didn't need to refund the buyer. Judging by the time passed and the negative feedback, the buyer was also not found at fault and gets to keep the item while also getting his/her money back.

The feedback says "Item was damaged, refunded by eBay." but is there some way I can get this feedback removed? I'm not sure if seller protection works if the conclusion of the case only says that I'm not at fault, don't know if it would say something else if it was ruled in my favor. I rather try and get this removed than try to leave a detailed response to the feedback.

I know eBay is heavily buyer-favored but it's really annoying me when the buyer only says 8 words while I say a few hundred and offered a refund for when the item is back in my possession when the buyer still believed the disc was the problem, yet the buyer is leaving me a 1 star rating on at least communication, since it gone down from 5.0 to 4.9, and I'm assuming his/her attitude gave me a 1 star rating on each category.

So I have a stupid question about eBay that I'm hoping can get answered for my own future experience....

How does eBay payment work? I sold a Destiny Alpha PS4 code for $27 back in mid June and invoiced the buyer the following day while sending the code (did a picture and followed all the proper listings for selling a code). I assumed all was fine especially when I got the email a day or two later that eBay was taking their fee of the sale.

Fast forward a few weeks and I went on to my eBay and PayPal accounts for something else and noticed that I never actually saw payment for this item. I, rather foolishly it seems, assumed that like Amazon, eBay had an automatic payment feature that made sure the money got from the buyer to the seller: seems that wasn't the case. I tried to open a case but eBay said it was too late.

Is there a way I can fix this for future sales? I had my paypal account linked to my eBay when the sale happened but I guess somewhere I screwed something up?

bread's done
Back