The Great Scam

That actually wasn't that bad of a story. HardHead reminds me of that 23 year old fat dude who killed himself after a friend betrayed him in Everquest. Nice ending, lucky Frosttt.

Really great read (I read it a few days ago), but he *SPOILER* should've given the stuff to Hardhead or whatever his name is.

Reading about all those pirates and scams reassured me that I wasn't missing out by staying away from the mmorpg scene.

And about the scam all I can say is - what a waste of life.

Isn't EVE Online a MMORPG loser? I seem to remember it being not so popular.

Decent games would have safeguards against the behavior this guy described.

Wow. That was a great read. And yes, in a perfect world, HardHead would've recieved the cash, Milton-style.

EDIT: I just google'd ZZZZ Best as described in the story. What an appropriate name for his company. :rofl:

[quote name='Ledhed']
EDIT: I just google'd ZZZZ Best as described in the story. What an appropriate name for his company. :rofl:[/quote]
:lol: Your right that is a good name for his company.

Decent games would have safeguards against the behavior this guy described.

From what I have seen this is a difficult situation because you either have so many rules in place that you have to roleplay a half-assed evil character who really can't do anything evil or you remove the rules and get abused by asshole bullies.

I guess it boils down to what you prefer - not so evil, evil characters or assholes waiting around to ruin your day.

OMG what a scam! That was so wrong that it was funny. LMAO, to think that guy spent weeks planning it out, to actually pull it off and then give his ill-gotten loot to some random stranger in the game. Priceless!

that story was AWESOME!

oh man, it had me on the edge of my seat, that was such a good story. and the ending, the ending couldn't of had been better.

[quote name='Scrubking']From what I have seen this is a difficult situation because you either have so many rules in place that you have to roleplay a half-assed evil character who really can't do anything evil or you remove the rules and get abused by asshole bullies.

I guess it boils down to what you prefer - not so evil, evil characters or assholes waiting around to ruin your day.[/quote]

This is what PK is for in some MMORPGs. I know in Asheron's Call, you have to make a conscious decision to go PK, and then the gloves come off. You'll see guys that kill anything that moves, and then factions rise up to combat those 'evil' characters. The problem is by the time someone decides to go the PK route, they've already played the good guy long enough, so you end up with a bunch of bad guys running around and very few good guys (Non PK characters can't attack PKs and vice versa).

It's one of the great problems of MMORPGs right now.

There was a guild who did a lot of similar things in daoc but I can't remember the name. They had a website of stories of everything they did.

[quote name='Storamin']All MMORPGs are teh evil. Stay away. UO sucked a few years of my life, but never again![/quote]

Heh, I agree...to pour that much of your life into something with no real world results just boggles the mind…

Except for this guy, who was able to get an amazing story out of it. I can just imagine that library phone ringing...

[quote name='RisingZan']Heh, I agree...to pour that much of your life into something with no real world results just boggles the mind…[/quote]

As opposed to all the children's hospitals and homeless shelters that were built due to all the hours I sank into FFX, Halo, and Dynasty Warriors?

:wink:

I've hearing all these great comments about the reading, but one look of it reminded me of school so I closed it right away :D
Since everyone is saying it's great, I'm sure my opinion won't be much different.

that was a nice 1 1/2 hour read (customers)...i think he should have thrown the money at hardhead though...

too damn long.... someone sum up what the fuck he did why and how in less than a paragraph :D free cookie to whoever does it first!

Its a good read, but the guy just seems so pathetic for A. getting so upset over the MMORPG, B. getting so into the scam, C. running the scam at all, D. thinking about screwing over his rl friend for the fake money. I mean I want to either slap him or just shake my head and give him a lollypop.

very entertaining read indeed, took me the last few hours to get thru but it certainly helped me grind thru the slow times in the work day

[quote name='StealthySeal']too damn long.... someone sum up what the shaq-fu he did why and how in less than a paragraph :D free cookie to whoever does it first![/quote]

Guy Buys game, plays games, gets instantly bored. Figures out fastest way to make money, takes a loan, racks up money. Game company changes rules for certain ships abilities, player gets pissed, declares war on game. Uses new addition to game (blueprints for huge ships) as leverage to get many people to "invest" millions of game $'s into his corporation which is him and a friend who together faked about 16 other accounts who were thier "co. investors". He succesfully screwes many people over, inlcuding the person who originally loaned him money. Gives 200,000,000 out of 500,000,000 to his friend, throws the rest at a noob.

Story loses some of its impact (the poor librarians...), but thats the overall gist

Entertaining story, but damn. I can't believe this guy woke up at 6:30 and played the game all day just to make money in the game. I thought at first it was a scam using the game for real life money, not virtual money. It's kind of pathetic in the end. I enjoyed reading it though.

[quote name='msdmoney']There was a guild who did a lot of similar things in daoc but I can't remember the name. They had a website of stories of everything they did.[/quote]

I think you are referring to darkwolves/ or dark puppies.
Wow is currently feeling the wrath of those losers and have even started up a website to out those ninja looters and scammers in the game , it has turned into such a problem.

www.darkwolves.biz

I think thats their website. its entertaining if you like seeing people get screwed over. but sad to know that there are peopl out ther who take pride in messing with other people's time/money.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!'][quote name='msdmoney']There was a guild who did a lot of similar things in daoc but I can't remember the name. They had a website of stories of everything they did.[/quote]

I think you are referring to darkwolves/ or dark puppies.
Wow is currently feeling the wrath of those losers and have even started up a website to out those ninja looters and scammers in the game , it has turned into such a problem.

www.darkwolves.biz

I think thats their website. its entertaining if you like seeing people get screwed over. but sad to know that there are peopl out ther who take pride in messing with other people's time/money.[/quote]

Yeah that is the one, I hate to say it but I find the stories hilarious even if the guys are jerks. Just shows you can never be too careful in an MMORPG.

Good read, but I didn't like the ending, he should have done something cooler with the money. I mean all that work was basically for nothing. I bet the guy could have made some real money selling all those credits on ebay.

[quote name='jimbodan']Good read, but I didn't like the ending, he should have done something cooler with the money. I mean all that work was basically for nothing. I bet the guy could have made some real money selling all those credits on ebay.[/quote]

Yup, I'll bet he could have sold that in game money on ebay. Some person who took the game way too seriously probably would have bought it and turned that griefer's loot into some real world cash.

out of curiosity i just checked ebay, it appears he could have gotten at least 250$ for it at current prices, back then it was probably worth a whole lot more.

bread's done
Back