The Harry Potter: Half Blood Prince discussion (**Contains spoilers**)

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I thought it would be cool to see how many CAGs have read the book and to see their opinions on what might happen in the next and final book.

IMO, this was definitely the best book in the series. But my problem is that it left so much left to be done in the next book that I don't know if she'll be able to fit it all into one book that's not incredibly huge. Rowling has already said it won't be bigger than Order of the Pheonix, so I dunno.

Also, I'm curious as to what you guys think about Snape. Is he good or bad? And what do you think are the other horcruxes?

When I first read the book, I really thought Snape was a bad guy. But after thinking a bit, I'm starting to think Snape might have been following Dumbledore's orders to kill him.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. By killing Dumbledore, it saved Draco's and Snape's life, since Snape did the Unbreakable Vow. Also, it pretty much stopped any kind of suspicion from the Death Eaters as to who's side Snape is on. He should have a lot more power within the DE now.

It will also allow Snape to help Harry out towards the end of the next book.

Here are some reasons why I think Snape is good:

- He didn't kill Flitwick in his room, he only froze him.
- He didn't kill Hermione when he had the chance.
- Dumbledore would never beg for his life. I think when Dumbledore kept saying Snape's name, he was telling Snape to kill him, not to help him.
- Hagrid told Harry that he overheard Dumbledore and Snape arguing and that Dumbledore said that Snape had to do something. I think they were talking about Snape killing Dumbledore.
- He stopped the other Death Eaters from killing Harry.
- He almost seemed disappointed that Harry kept using audible spells. He even told Harry that he'd never be able to defeat him unless he used inaudible curses. Why would he tell Harry this? IMO, he was trying to tell Harry that he won't be able to defeat Voldemort with audible curses, either.

I think there's a lot of evidence that points to Snape actually being a good guy, but it's going to be interesting to see if and how Snape will convince Harry that he killed Dumbledore on DD's orders.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE PAGE 606

/thread

(Sorry. I know you more or less said it.. but I haven't spoiled anyone and i've been holding that in for a long time)

[quote name='Scorch']SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE PAGE 606

/thread

(Sorry. I know you more or less said it.. but I haven't spoiled anyone and i've been holding that in for a long time)[/QUOTE]

Heh heh, no problem. I said in the title that the thread will contain spoilers.

I'm with you. I think there's an EXCELLENT chance Snape is really a good guy, and that it was Dumbledore who told him to kill him. However, I don't think he's going to get a chance to help Harry out, if only cause I think Harry is going to kill him, and then find out Snape was a good guy. It may just be because I want to see how devastating that scene would be. Also, another thing that points out that Snape isn't a bad guy, at least to me, is how adamant he was about Harry not using the Unforgivable Curses.

[quote name='karsh'] Also, another thing that points out that Snape isn't a bad guy, at least to me, is how adamant he was about Harry not using the Unforgivable Curses.[/QUOTE]

Yes, if Snape was really against Harry, he probably would have let him use an Unforgivable curse, and Harry would have gotten in a lot of trouble by the ministry of magic possibly making Harry lose his wand and ability to use magic, so in essence, I think that Snape saved Harry from making a huge mistake. I feel that somehow someway, Snape is really against Voldemort and that he is in line with Dumbledore, possibly carrying out his wishes.... Also the fact that Draco wouldn't kill Dumbledore kinda makes me feel that he really does have a soft spot in his heart and isn't the killer that Voldemort would like him to be. I have a very good feeling that Draco will die protecting or saving Harry in book 7.

[quote name='Mrhankyspj']I have a very good feeling that Draco will die protecting or saving Harry in book 7.[/QUOTE]

As long as we don't have a scene in the book with Harry holding onto a dying Malfoy with blood coming from his mouth and telling him how everything is going to be okay, I'll be happy.

I'm still not sure on Snape.

The one thing I think is that one of the horcruxes is at Sirius's old/now Harry's inherited house. The Note in the locket was signed RAB, which I figure to be Regulus *something* Black, Sirius's brother.

What'do ya think?

[quote name='maudig1']I'm still not sure on Snape.

The one thing I think is that one of the horcruxes is at Sirius's old/now Harry's inherited house. The Note in the locket was signed RAB, which I figure to be Regulus *something* Black, Sirius's brother.

What'do ya think?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, RAB is definitely Regulus. But I'm hoping that somehow (I don't know exactly how) Regulus and Sirius are switched and Regulus was actually the one who died in OoTP and Sirius is the one who destroyed the horcrux.

Of course that is really out there and will probably never happen. But aside from Dumbledore, Sirius was one of my favorite characters and I have to hang on to the hope that he is living.

you know how harry and dumbledore talked about how one of the horcrux's would be an item belonging to Griffendor or Ravenclaw? Well in book 4 the sorting hat sings that he was taken from griffendor's head... how crazy would that be if voldemort was sorting students all along?

Yeah, Snape had to "kill" Dumbledore in order for the Death Eaters to truly trust him. That's why there was a chapter that focus on Bellatrix not trusting Snape at all. I think Snape will play a huge role in helping Potter finish off Voldemort. Not sure where Draco fits in but I think he will be a casualty in the next book, probably will be faced with the same decision of whether to take someone life (probably Harry's) but his decision will be an act of treason to the Death Eaters. Also, the whole Dumbledore dead thing is all a trick to make the Order of the Phoenix look weaker than they actually are.

[quote name='fivecardstud']you know how harry and dumbledore talked about how one of the horcrux's would be an item belonging to Griffendor or Ravenclaw? Well in book 4 the sorting hat sings that he was taken from griffendor's head... how crazy would that be if voldemort was sorting students all along?[/QUOTE]

Ha, that's a pretty cool idea.

I think one of the Horcrux's might be Harry's lightning bolt mark on his forehead. Kinda out there, but it sorta makes sense... Wasn't Voldemort split from his body when he tried to kill baby Harry? I might be wrong.

And I also think Snape is a good guy.

[quote name='fivecardstud']you know how harry and dumbledore talked about how one of the horcrux's would be an item belonging to Griffendor or Ravenclaw? Well in book 4 the sorting hat sings that he was taken from griffendor's head... how crazy would that be if voldemort was sorting students all along?[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, you win the award for most out-there idea!! :applause: :applause:

I believe the Sorting Hat operates on a magic of its own, as it acts like a living being. The horcruxes, from my understanding, need to be completely inanimate objects. So I don't see how the hat would be able to be used as a horcrux.

That being said, it's a wacky enough idea to happen, so if you're right, I will buy you a cup of Ramen noodles, your choice of flavor!

So what about Dumbledore's painting in the headmaster's office? Rowling wrote he was sleeping in his portrait but hasn't really explained what happens to the headmaster once imprinted. Will he be able to give advice or is it just a figment of his person?

[quote name='encendido5']So what about Dumbledore's painting in the headmaster's office? Rowling wrote he was sleeping in his portrait but hasn't really explained what happens to the headmaster once imprinted. Will he be able to give advice or is it just a figment of his person?[/QUOTE]

The rest of the headmasters butt in all the time, so I don't see how Dumbledore would be any different.

I agree that Snape is good. If only for the fact that J.K. Rowling has been pressing on us thoughout the whole series that Snape is good, most specificallly in this last one. I feel that Dumbledore had Snape kill him, specifically in the prescence of Death Eaters, so that Snape would be the person most trusted by Voldemort, and therefore able to get access to Horcuces.

And I think we can all agree that R.A.B. is Regulus Black.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']sooo...hes definetly dead right...no, its all a dream season finale, or magical uprisings[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna be pissed off if he isn't. Rowling can't toy with us.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Congratulations, you win the award for most out-there idea!! :applause: :applause:

I believe the Sorting Hat operates on a magic of its own, as it acts like a living being. The horcruxes, from my understanding, need to be completely inanimate objects. So I don't see how the hat would be able to be used as a horcrux.

That being said, it's a wacky enough idea to happen, so if you're right, I will buy you a cup of Ramen noodles, your choice of flavor![/QUOTE]

But wasn't one of the horcruxes the snake, and that it was alive when it happened, since Dumbledore said it could move around? Maybe I was just totally not paying attention at that point.

[quote name='karsh']But wasn't one of the horcruxes the snake, and that it was alive when it happened, since Dumbledore said it could move around? Maybe I was just totally not paying attention at that point.[/QUOTE]

Dumbledore guessed that Voldemort's snake is probably a horcrux, but he said making animals or people horcruxes is very dangerous because they all have to die at some point and when they do, the horcrux will die with them, too.

I've thought a bit about what if Harry's scar is a horcrux. Voldemort did kill Harry's parents and could have easily done it then, but there's one problem to this theory. Harry would have to die or somehow kill the horcrux attached to himself in order to kill Voldemort, which I think is highly unlikely.

I really don't think there's going to be any horcruxes at Hogwarts since Voldemort really didn't have the chance to make one while he was there. Unless he did it when he went to visit Dumbledore, but I would think DD would have been watching him closely.

Also, JKR said she won't comment on whether or not Voldemort, Harry and his parents were the only people in the Potter's house the night Voldemort killed Harry's parents. Personally, I think Snape might have been there or someone else who will play a big role in the next book.

I just don't see how JKR is going to tie up all the loose ends in the next book. Harry has to destroy several horcruxes and then go and kill Voldemort. Plus, she has so many side stories going on like Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny, Lupin and Tonks, Hagrid and Gwarp, whether or not Hogwarts will reopen, the ministry's role in the whole thing and Percy and his parents.

There are just so many stories all going on at once that if she doesn't spend enough time doing it, the book will feel really rushed.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Dumbledore guessed that Voldemort's snake is probably a horcrux, but he said making animals or people horcruxes is very dangerous because they all have to die at some point and when they do, the horcrux will die with them, too.

I've thought a bit about what if Harry's scar is a horcrux. Voldemort did kill Harry's parents and could have easily done it then, but there's one problem to this theory. Harry would have to die or somehow kill the horcrux attached to himself in order to kill Voldemort, which I think is highly unlikely.

I really don't think there's going to be any horcruxes at Hogwarts since Voldemort really didn't have the chance to make one while he was there. Unless he did it when he went to visit Dumbledore, but I would think DD would have been watching him closely.

Also, JKR said she won't comment on whether or not Voldemort, Harry and his parents were the only people in the Potter's house the night Voldemort killed Harry's parents. Personally, I think Snape might have been there or someone else who will play a big role in the next book.

I just don't see how JKR is going to tie up all the loose ends in the next book. Harry has to destroy several horcruxes and then go and kill Voldemort. Plus, she has so many side stories going on like Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny, Lupin and Tonks, Hagrid and Gwarp, whether or not Hogwarts will reopen, the ministry's role in the whole thing and Percy and his parents.

There are just so many stories all going on at once that if she doesn't spend enough time doing it, the book will feel really rushed.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh...It's been a decent amount of time since I read it, so I forgot that detail.

As for finishing it, I'm a bit worried too. There just seems like way too much to get done in just one book. Though one thing I will say is, I hope Harry ends up with Ginny. I didn't like the two as a pairing before about halfway through HBP. Then it just seemed like it made so much sense. I mean, it gives Harry a legal way to become part of the Weasley family.

[quote name='karsh']But wasn't one of the horcruxes the snake, and that it was alive when it happened, since Dumbledore said it could move around? Maybe I was just totally not paying attention at that point.[/QUOTE]

Tom Riddle's Diary was the horcrux, not the basilisk. Nothing happened to Voldemort when Harry killed the Basilisk, it was when he stabbed the diary that Voldemort was defeated (at least that portion of him)

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Tom Riddle's Diary was the horcrux, not the basilisk. Nothing happened to Voldemort when Harry killed the Basilisk, it was when he stabbed the diary that Voldemort was defeated (at least that portion of him)[/QUOTE]

The basilisk, which was actually Slytherin's, isn't the snake we're talking about. Voldemort has a pet snake that was talked about in GoF and OoTP (I believe.).

I just finished Stephen King's Dark Tower series, and after completing book 6 of 7, there was just so much left to cover in the final book. What I'm preparing for is that some issues will be dealt with somewhat flippantly and quickly, which is unfortunate.

I don't think I had much to add to the conversation, but I hope that Snape remains dark for our sake. I've really enjoyed the books thus far, but I haven't really been enthralled by whether or not Snape is "good" or "evil."

I do know that I'm going to stay the fuck away from the internet for a good week or so before release, since some asshole linking to a ymtnd site spoilted the fucking HBP for me.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']The basilisk, which was actually Slytherin's, isn't the snake we're talking about. Voldemort has a pet snake that was talked about in GoF and OoTP (I believe.).[/QUOTE]

Ah crap, I forgot all about that. Damn Rowling for making me wait 2 years between books! I forget shit!

GUYS GUYS

We have the Death Eaters (DE) and Dumbledore's Army (DA).

Rearrange the letters and what do we get?

DEAD

Ergo, Dumbledore's dead.

...ok I'm done. HBP is a pretty damn good book. I have to read through it (and all the others) before I can think about some things. Every time I've tried thinking about possible theories someone points out something I forgot from some other book.

I hope JKR won't incorporate too much of Dumbledore into the next book. Yes, his death is important, but he's not really dead considering his portrait is now in his office. I just hope the portrait won't be too important in the next book.

I too was very pleased with HBP. I really enjoyed the Harry/Ginny relationship (though JK did gloss over lots for the sake of brevity), and I hope they end up together in the end. I think Snape has gone over "to the dark side," but, by the same token, I feel he will redeem himself in book seven.

As far as Horcruxes go, I tend to agree with the general sentiment that Regulas took the locket, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was hidden in the Black estate until Mundungus ripped it off and sold it for beer money! I think Harry realizing this and tracking down that horcrux will be central in the final book.

I also toyed with the idea that Harry had become an unintentional horcrux, but I guess that may be a bit far-fetched. I reckon all of our crackpot theories will be put to the test soon enough.

As far as King's Dark Tower series goes, I dropped off after book five. How were the last two? Worth the wait?

Good, I'm glad somebody made a Harry Potter thread.
I didn't think of this on my own, but R.A.B. has even more evidence for Regulus becuase the boat that went to the potion and the horcrux could only have enough magical power for one person, but Harry didn't count because he was under-age. That could mean that Regulus took Kreacher, who would certainly not count if Harry didn't, and forced Kreacher to drink the potion. Also, in OoTP, there is an amultet mentioned when they are cleaning the Black house. It is described in the same way as ther locket from the sixth book.
Harry cannot be a horcrux, becauce then the propechy would have to be different. It would have to say something like "one cannot survive if the other dies", but it says something along the lines of one cannot survive if the other lives.
Voldemort is supposed to have made six horcruxes, with one being the soul inside himself. But I don't think there are seven parts of his soul left. Two of the horcruxes were destroyed (the diary and Marvolo's ring) which would leave 5 parts of his soul left. But, when he attempted to kill Harry, he was reversely killed, so now Voldemort must use one of his Horcruxes to stay somewhat alive, and then he latched on to Quirrell, and that's why he needed the Sorcerer's Stone, because he couldn't survive in his post-coming back as a horcrux state.
Well, we're gonna find out that Snape was good in the seventh book, so I think either Snape will like jump in front of Harry to take a Voldemort 'Adava Kedavra', or, I hope that they pull the Star Wars, kill the enemy and go to the dark side. Something like Harry will be killing Snape, and Voldemort will be egging him on, causing Harry to not kill Snape, for fear of turning into what he hates most.

Well, all for now.

I've got to say, after reading the Dumbledoreisnotdead website, they bring up some very interesting points that have me thinking that Dumbledore may be back. The two biggest things that make me wonder are the fact that Dumbledore's reaction to Snape's Avada Kedavra is entirely different to all of the other reactions to the curse we have heard and the fact that during the funeral, it appears very phoenix-like what happens to Dumbledore's body. She's a careful writer, which makes me think there must be a reason she did this.

[quote name='karsh']Ahhhh...It's been a decent amount of time since I read it, so I forgot that detail.

As for finishing it, I'm a bit worried too. There just seems like way too much to get done in just one book. Though one thing I will say is, I hope Harry ends up with Ginny. I didn't like the two as a pairing before about halfway through HBP. Then it just seemed like it made so much sense. I mean, it gives Harry a legal way to become part of the Weasley family.[/QUOTE]

Come on, it's been obvious since the second book.

Hermione and Ron, Harry and Ginny. That way the main 3 can all be family.

[quote name='karsh']I've got to say, after reading the Dumbledoreisnotdead website, they bring up some very interesting points that have me thinking that Dumbledore may be back. The two biggest things that make me wonder are the fact that Dumbledore's reaction to Snape's Avada Kedavra is entirely different to all of the other reactions to the curse we have heard and the fact that during the funeral, it appears very phoenix-like what happens to Dumbledore's body. She's a careful writer, which makes me think there must be a reason she did this.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought that Dumbledore was an anigmus, and his was a phoenix. If this is so, I wonder if it could somehow factor into him coming back. I dunno about that one, though.

But yeah, the whole Kedavra thing is definitely curious. If Snape is indeed a good guy, he couldn't have really meant the curse, which has been said has to be done in order for one to work to its full power.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I've always thought that Dumbledore was an anigmus, and his was a phoenix. If this is so, I wonder if it could somehow factor into him coming back. I dunno about that one, though.

But yeah, the whole Kedavra thing is definitely curious. If Snape is indeed a good guy, he couldn't have really meant the curse, which has been said has to be done in order for one to work to its full power.[/QUOTE]

He could have meant it and still not be evil. If it was something he and Dumbledore agreed had to be done, the he could mean it fully and remain good.

edit- Are you implying that Dumbledore is Fawkes? Because that absolutely makes no sense.

[quote name='Tromack']He could have meant it and still not be evil. If it was something he and Dumbledore agreed had to be done, the he could mean it fully and remain good.

edit- Are you implying that Dumbledore is Fawkes? Because that absolutely makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

But still. Look at every previous encounter with that curse.

[quote name='Goblet of Fire']He was screaming so loudly that he never heard the words the thing in the chair spoke as it raised a wand. There was a flash of green light, a rushing sound, and Frank Bryce crumbled. He was dead before he hit the floor[/quote]

[quote name='Goblet of Fire']From high above his head, he heard a high, cold voice say, "Kill the spare." A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words to the night: "Avada Kedavra!" A blast of green light blazed through Harry's eyelids, and he heard something heavy fall to ground beside him. Cedric was lying spread-eagled on the ground beside him. He was dead.[/quote]

and then compare it to Dumbledore's reaction to it:

[quote name='HBP']Snape raised his wand and pointed it directly at Dumbledore. "Avada Kedavra!" A jet of green light shot from the end of Snape's wand and hit Dumbledore squarely in the chest. Harry's scream of horror never left him; silently he was forced to watch as Dumbledore was blasted into the air. For a split second, he seemed to hang suspended beneath the shining skull, and then he slowly fell backward, like a great rag doll, over the battlements and out of sight[/quote]

That's quite a different reaction. In fact, now that I think about it, it's almost sort of like Levicorpus. Could it be something that although he said Avada Kedavra, and that's what it looked like, he actually cast something more akin to Levicorpus, and that it was the "fall" that killed Dumbledore, except he was revived by Fawkes when Fawkes was "lamenting" over Dumbledore's death? This would allow Snape to follow through with the unbreakable vow, but allow for Dumbledore to return.

[quote name='Tromack']He could have meant it and still not be evil. If it was something he and Dumbledore agreed had to be done, the he could mean it fully and remain good.

edit- Are you implying that Dumbledore is Fawkes? Because that absolutely makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm saying Dumbledore could be an anigmus, and his anigmus could be a phoenix. What if he could take on his anigmus' abilities? I know it's way out there, and it's almost definitely is not correct, but what if Dumbledore's anigmus is a phoenix and allowed him to come back to life? That would explain the mysterious fire at his coffin during the funeral.

I'm sure you know, but just in case anyone else doesn't, an anigmus is a wizard who can transfigure themselves into an animal.

Here's an excerpt from HPB at DD's funeral.

"Then several people screamed. Bright, white flames had erupted around Dumbledore's body and the table upon which it lay: Higher and higher they rose, obscuring the body." (Notice that the reader and those at the funeral lose sight of Dumbledore at this point) "White smoke spiraled into the airand made strange shapes: Harry thought, for one heart-stopping moment, that he saw a phoenix fly joyfully into the blue, but next second the fire had vanished. In it's place was a white marble tomb, encasing Dumbledore's body and the table on which he rested."

So, is Dumbledore's anigmus a phoenix?

Thats stretching it. That would explain the flame. I dont think that would happen though. I do agree with someone on this page that snape is good.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']No, I'm saying Dumbledore could be an anigmus, and his anigmus could be a phoenix. What if he could take on his anigmus' abilities? I know it's way out there, and it's almost definitely is not correct, but what if Dumbledore's anigmus is a phoenix and allowed him to come back to life? That would explain the mysterious fire at his coffin during the funeral.

I'm sure you know, but just in case anyone else doesn't, an anigmus is a wizard who can transfigure themselves into an animal.

Here's an excerpt from HPB at DD's funeral.

"Then several people screamed. Bright, white flames had erupted around Dumbledore's body and the table upon which it lay: Higher and higher they rose, obscuring the body." (Notice that the reader and those at the funeral lose sight of Dumbledore at this point) "White smoke spiraled into the airand made strange shapes: Harry thought, for one heart-stopping moment, that he saw a phoenix fly joyfully into the blue, but next second the fire had vanished. In it's place was a white marble tomb, encasing Dumbledore's body and the table on which he rested."

So, is Dumbledore's anigmus a phoenix?[/QUOTE]

Damn, that's a fine reading of that passage. And it makes total sense. It may be out there, but it works.

what spell did snape used to kill dumbledore? why did he use a spell that sends dumbledore flying instead of using the spell Harry used on Malfoy? None of the death eaters saw dumbledore die they just assume he died from that spell.

edit: if dumbledore was a anigmus to a phoenix he could have just fly away. also, in the fourth or fifth book someone could transform into somebody else by drinking something. sorry, but i'm kind of rusty in the HP books.

[quote name='ericx']what spell did snape used to kill dumbledore? why did he use a spell that sends dumbledore flying instead of using the spell Harry used on Malfoy? None of the death eaters saw dumbledore die they just assume he died from that spell.[/QUOTE]

He used the Avada Kedavra curse, which kills someone dead instantly, and never throws them up in the air. This is what is very mysterious about the curse Snape used.

The Sectumsempra curse, which is what you're talking about, only slashes someone open. I don't think it would have killed Dumbledore unless he used it over and over again.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']He used the Avada Kedavra curse, which kills someone dead instantly, and never throws them up in the air. This is what is very mysterious about the curse Snape used.

The Sectumsempra curse, which is what you're talking about, only slashes someone open. I don't think it would have killed Dumbledore unless he used it over and over again.[/QUOTE]

What if Dumbledore was able to defend the Avada Kedavra because he knew it was coming? If this was something they had agreed upon, Dumbledore would be waiting for it and able to use a non-verbal defense. This could explian the unusual effect of this particular instance of the curse. Either The force of the defense sent Dumbledore flying or Dumbledore defended and did something to send himself flying backwards. Seeing as how Dumbledore always seems to know everything in advance (the sneaky codger) it's entirely possible.

Just wondering, is the next book that's slated to come out supposed to be the last one? Or are they still aiming for more?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='MarkMan']Just wondering, is the next book that's slated to come out supposed to be the last one? Or are they still aiming for more?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

If JKR holds true to her word, it will definitely be the last book in the series.

But I hope she continues to write books using the same universe. She's just built such an awesome story that it would be sad to not see other parts of the wizarding world.

Quote from http://www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com/dumbledoreclues.html:

Perhaps his spell was different because even though those were the words Snape said, he didn't perform the killing curse at all. Remember all the importance this book gave to "nonverbal" spells? Perhaps Snape said Avada Kedavra, but the curse he was really thinking, the nonverbal one, was a different curse, one that only made it appear that Dumbledore was dead.

----

I was just thinking the same thing. There was such a heavy emphasis on non-verbal spells this book that this makes a bit of sense.

The whole surviving a fall from the top of the tower when he's already poisoned thing is another story though. Any ideas (other than, of course, that he is Dumbledore and thus superhumanly bad-ass)?

[quote name='1modernboy']Quote from http://www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com/dumbledoreclues.html:

Perhaps his spell was different because even though those were the words Snape said, he didn't perform the killing curse at all. Remember all the importance this book gave to "nonverbal" spells? Perhaps Snape said Avada Kedavra, but the curse he was really thinking, the nonverbal one, was a different curse, one that only made it appear that Dumbledore was dead.

----

I was just thinking the same thing. There was such a heavy emphasis on non-verbal spells this book that this makes a bit of sense.

The whole surviving a fall from the top of the tower when he's already poisoned thing is another story though. Any ideas (other than, of course, that he is Dumbledore and thus superhumanly bad-ass)?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that Dumbledore DID die from the fall from the tower. The way I see it, Snape had to actually kill Dumbledore. Otherwise, he would be breaking his Unbreakable Vow and would die himself. However, I believe that Avada Kedavra is a curse that cannot allow for resurrection from means like a phoenix. I personally believe that Snape, although saying Avada Kedavra, actually non-verbally cast Levicorpus. This causes Dumbledore to go flying from the tower, falling to his death. This completes the Unbreakable Vow that Snape took, as he killed Dumbledore. However, I believe that in the chapter after that, Fawkes' Lament, I believe that the tears of Fawkes would allow Dumbledore to return to life during his funeral, when he burst into flames. I believe that this may also be a way for JKR to deal with all of the Horcruxes. She can not reveal Dumbledore until later on in the last book, and then have him appear to Harry later on, with either one or two more of the Horcruxes with him. Though I'm still a personal believer that regardless of Snape's side, Harry will kill him in the final book, and then find out afterwards that Snape was truly good and that Dumbledore may be alive.

bread's done
Back