The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

Another site to look into for those who wanna watch some videos(besides YouTube) is Crackle.com. It's run by Sony, I believe, since it's mostly Sony owned properties on there.

They have some 'newer' movies like Pineapple Express and newer tv shows like Dexter on there. But they may intersperse some commercials between segments. Then again, so does frickin' YouTube anymore.

I was watching The Three Stooges on there the other night and it's a pretty good site. A few hiccups when it's playing but very little to no buffering needed for them to play and play right.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Another site to look into for those who wanna watch some videos(besides YouTube) is Crackle.com. It's run by Sony, I believe, since it's mostly Sony owned properties on there.

They have some 'newer' movies like Pineapple Express and newer tv shows like Dexter on there. But they may intersperse some commercials between segments. Then again, so does frickin' YouTube anymore.

I was watching The Three Stooges on there the other night and it's a pretty good site. A few hiccups when it's playing but very little to no buffering needed for them to play and play right.[/QUOTE]

deja vu with this post. Do you possibly work for crackle?

[quote name='seether254']deja vu with this post. Do you possibly work for crackle?[/QUOTE]
No. I wish I had a real job at this point.:cry: I just found the site to be really decent and I figured for those who don't wanna go the 'naughty' route to find stuff to watch on the tablet that this would be a nice option for them.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Another site to look into for those who wanna watch some videos(besides YouTube) is Crackle.com. It's run by Sony, I believe, since it's mostly Sony owned properties on there.

I was watching The Three Stooges on there the other night and it's a pretty good site. A few hiccups when it's playing but very little to no buffering needed for them to play and play right.[/QUOTE]

how's the quality on crackle?

[quote name='iggypop123']how's the quality on crackle?[/QUOTE]

I love it on the touchpad the quality is awesome. Put a good headset on and the sound is awesome too.

Last edited:
I just searched for and saved a bunch of radio stations within the tunein app. All of a sudden it stopped responding. Is it working for anyone else right now? The app itself loads but it will not display any content whatsoever. I'm hoping it is just a server down temporarily. I tried rebooting and even reinstalling.

I just searched for and saved a bunch of radio stations within the tunein app. All of a sudden it stopped responding. Is it working for anyone else right now? The app itself loads but it will not display any content whatsoever. I'm hoping it is just a server down temporarily. I tried rebooting and even reinstalling.

That seems to be about the only decent internet radio app. I tried iheartradio, but it seems a little more limited and NEVER saves any of my favorites, location, or other data.

What's the difference between the different versions of Angry Birds Rio? One is $1.99 while the other is free? (Technically, they are both free at the moment) I notice the $1.99 one is 1 MB larger than the other.

[quote name='Dkellar']What's the difference between the different versions of Angry Birds Rio? One is $1.99 while the other is free? (Technically, they are both free at the moment) I notice the $1.99 one is 1 MB larger than the other.[/QUOTE]

I think it's just "skinned" with the Rio movie branding. Maybe a few custom levels?

Free version HD is pretty nice already unless you were a huge fan of Rio,.

[quote name='joseraul']New 6-pack of free apps available:

HP Palm Blog

Apps are:

Big Boss
Camera
Angry Birds Rio
Quell
Pennant
FlightPredictor[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I missed out last time. Could not get the Pennant code to work though. Did not say used it just said invalid.

Edit: Got it to work...sweet.

HP Palm Blog

Apps are:

Big Boss
Camera
Angry Birds Rio
Quell
Pennant
FlightPredictor[/QUOTE]

Hopefully these will last long enough for me to get home tonight. I'd hate to miss out again.

I missed out on the first promotion, but got in on the second. Unfortunately, I had already purchased Rio.

Worst part is I missed out on Audobon Birds! That's way better than Angry Birds!

[quote name='crashnburn69']wanted to use the promo code but cant find the camera app on the market :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I don't see it either, and I really want that one.

ETA: Someone at SD said earlier that you have to install the latest webOS version to see the camera app, so I'm doing that now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BuDdyLe']where are you guys getting the codes ? Clicking on the links just takes me to apps catalogue[/QUOTE]
The codes are in ()'s right below the title I believe.

[quote name='crashnburn69']wanted to use the promo code but cant find the camera app on the market :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I had the same problem during the first giveaway, it would never show up. I updated to 3.0.2 or whatever (took all night) and now it shows up every time. Of course last time by updating I missed the opportunity to grab it, but now I have it.

HP Palm Blog

Apps are:

Big Boss
Camera
Angry Birds Rio
Quell
Pennant
FlightPredictor[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up!

What im doing is open the HP app catalog, search for the apps mentioned above, click the price, click use promo code then type the code. got all 6.

EDIT: If you cant see the camera app. You may need to update your webOS to the 3.0.2 version in Settings>system updates
Update may last for 20mins.

[quote name='rbanez']Thanks for the heads up!

What im doing is open the HP app catalog, search for the apps mentioned above, click the price, click use promo code then type the code. got all 6.[/QUOTE]

I got the first 6 pack with no problems. Now when I click on the price for the second 6 pack of apps all I get is a prompt asking for the password to my account, weird.

Dang, Angry Birds expired already.

For the Camera one I just searched "Camera" and it was the first result.

[quote name='Rodster']I got the first 6 pack with no problems. Now when I click on the price for the second 6 pack of apps all I get is a prompt asking for the password to my account, weird.[/QUOTE]

Me to! lol. Im pretty sure i entered my pw correctly, then i missed 3 attempts then promted to the security question answered it correctly then i changed my pw to a shorter, easier to type one.

I really would like one of these but my patience for fighting with resellers and hoarders is too thin.

WebOS is really a great operating system, its a shame HP didn't want to fight it out with android and apple.

everybody buying shitty overpriced apple products because of marketing makes me lol.

Thanks joseraul, got all the free apps except the baseball one, doesn't interest me. This really is a great little device.

[quote name='Dkellar']What's the difference between the different versions of Angry Birds Rio? One is $1.99 while the other is free? (Technically, they are both free at the moment) I notice the $1.99 one is 1 MB larger than the other.[/QUOTE]

the version of Angry Birds Rio they're giving away for free is HD and optimized for tablets. The other one is pretty much for pre phones I guess.

I've noticed there's a number of apps that have multiple versions for sale, including HD and XHD versions. The apps optimized for the Touchpad say so above the price button though.

[quote name='Panda']That's odd. It's not the first app that says "Camera for HP" and it's 99 cents? Maybe rebooting the TP?[/QUOTE]

Just did that too and nothing.

[quote name='joshrocker']Hopefully these will last long enough for me to get home tonight. I'd hate to miss out again.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I was set to bring the Touchpad into work today to set it up on the wireless and try the VPN but then decided I'd be too busy. Wish I had now.. :(

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']Just did that too and nothing.[/QUOTE]
Go to the blog page on your TP, copy the code, touch the title of the app and it brings you directly to the HP app page for it (no need to search), purchase, paste code, win. Or lose if they've ran out.

All of the codes for Quell & ABRioHD are gone already. I was able to get Big Boss and Camera a few minutes ago, so I'm happy.

[quote name='Kerig']Go to the blog page on your TP, copy the code, touch the title of the app and it brings you directly to the HP app page for it (no need to search), purchase, paste code, win. Or lose if they've ran out.

All of the codes for Quell & ABRioHD are gone already. I was able to get Big Boss and Camera a few minutes ago, so I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

It says about sending them to the phone but what do you click to purchase?

ETA: This is what it shows when I click the link from my touchpad.

Got my Touchpad. Trying to update it, it says it's up to date already.
It says I have 3.0.0.
I thought the newest is 3.0.2?
Why is it not letting me know of this new update?

[quote name='McNutsack']Got my Touchpad. Trying to update it, it says it's up to date already.
It says I have 3.0.0.
I thought the newest is 3.0.2?
Why is it not letting me know of this new update?[/QUOTE]

Did you install preware already? I ask because in some instances it will not let you update to 3.0.2 after preware install. If this is the case you have to reset but do the backup first. If this is not the case just keeping doing the update it is buggy and the system is overloaded you may have to try a dozen times.

Good luck and if after all of that and no go then contact support.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']Okay it says my touchpad webOS is up to date but I still can't see the camera app. :( Do I need to restart it?[/QUOTE]
I kept getting that message too, but when I restarted my device, I still had to install the update. I think they require your battery to be at least 50% charged though. Hopefully that works for you as it did for me.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']It says about sending them to the phone but what do you click to purchase?

ETA: This is what it shows when I click the link from my touchpad.[/QUOTE]
All the problems you're having are the same exact ones I was going through when I was still an update behind haha. Go into your settings tab, and then device info and see what webOS version you're running.

Why this artificial scarcity of digital goods? Really sucks for people who have, you know, DAY JOBS and don't have their pads handy to jump on these deals. Pfft.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Quick office editing is now live, according to the blog. Apparently its free also.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I just updated the app and yes editing works now. I was surprised when that wasn't included in the first place. Good to see that development is continuing in spite of the death of the platform.

BTW, Adobe reader was updated also but I am unsure of what has changed.

bread's done
Back