The Inception Movie Thread-New Nolan Movie

Great movie, most fun I've had watching a film in a long time.

And you guys debating the ending are doing exactly what he wanted you to do. He planted an idea, and then it just started to grow ;)

[quote name='ITDEFX']Honestly I think he's going to leave it up to interpretation. The story has potential to continue in a sequel... if there is a sequel, and he answers all the questions about the ending in the commentary, I think it *might* affect the sequel (the way people view the sequel...those who listen to that commentary anyways). Sometimes it's best to not tell the audience everything and let them figure it out. Let them think for themselves. Everyone had a WTF look at the end scene, then clapped. Some teen bitches thought it would be a good idea for this to be a tv series....uh ok..........whatever. :roll:[/QUOTE]

No, no sequel. Don't spoil the awesomeness of the original. Then again, The Dark Knight was superior to Batman Begins... Eh, I dunno though, I don't think I need a sequel.

I hope he doesn't ever release anything about the end of this movie and that there isn't a sequel. Why do you think David Lynch is so notorious? I mean his movies are pretty ambiguous but knowing would ruin all of the fun in these types of movies. The movie was fantastic on its own and doesn't need to become a crazy trilogy or something. This is one of the best movies I have seen in quite a while. Nolan is a great talent and I hope he continues to put out quality movies like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I can understand ruling out a sequel I definately want to see more of the inception universe and history.

That thing would either keep spinning or fall, thats unrealistic for that spinner to keep spinning like that so his world was obviously a fake.

A sequel would be welcomed after 4 years, revisiting the movie with Cobb in a coma then coming back out to help save the world would be a good way to start. Nolan does only get some of his wow effects from playing the music though, in agreement to whoever mentioned it.

[quote name='phantasyx']While I can understand ruling out a sequel I definately want to see more of the inception universe and history.

That thing would either keep spinning or fall, thats unrealistic for that spinner to keep spinning like that so his world was obviously a fake.

A sequel would be welcomed after 4 years, revisiting the movie with Cobb in a coma then coming back out to help save the world would be a good way to start. Nolan does only get some of his wow effects from playing the music though, in agreement to whoever mentioned it.
[/QUOTE]

I agree...wait after batman 3 is done and over with before thinking of a sequel

[quote name='RedvsBlue']No, no sequel. Don't spoil the awesomeness of the original. Then again, The Dark Knight was superior to Batman Begins... Eh, I dunno though, I don't think I need a sequel.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that if it really does well over the course of a month, WB/LP would want to go ahead and do a sequel. Hollywood LOVES sequels if the first one makes a lot of money. It may take years for him to come up with a way to continue the story.... They might not use Leo, they might use someone else for the next movie.

Easily up in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. Fantastic film from beginning to end.

And finally, my local movieplex had this in their D-BOX enabled theater, it was finally a movie worth seeing in D-BOX and not have it be a gimmick.

I'll go back and see it again in IMAX before it disappears.

I saw it in the "Liemax" theater this weekend and it was great. I lol'd at the audience's reaction to the ending.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Just got back from it. fucking amazing.

Not a fan of Batman Begins or Dark Knight really, but this and Memento are fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, you thought Iron Man was the shit and you weren't fond of Batman? What the fuck is wrong with you.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Wait a minute, you thought Iron Man was the shit and you weren't fond of Batman? What the fuck is wrong with you.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the first Iron Man more than the Batman films yeah. What's up. Not Iron Man 2 though...Iron Man 2 was....less than good.

There's just a lot of issues I have with the last 2 Batman films.

[quote name='shrike4242']Easily up in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. Fantastic film from beginning to end.

And finally, my local movieplex had this in their D-BOX enabled theater, it was finally a movie worth seeing in D-BOX and not have it be a gimmick.

I'll go back and see it again in IMAX before it disappears.[/QUOTE]

What's D-BOX about? None of the theaters in my area have them... I thought it was some sort of gimmick like IMAX/3d.

I do really have to see this movie again when I get back from vacation. Like I said the first 30 some minutes kinda bored me...then it got interesting. I don't know if it was the first 30 mins of it or the fact that I saw this right after Despicable me.

Shrike just gave me a excuse to go see it again, and in Imax

This will be a awesome blu ray, I don't normally buy any, but for this one it will be well worth it. Plus I want to see the behind the scenes and I could tell there were MANY deleted scenes, expecially to make this a PG13 movie.

Wow so man people here are severly over rating this movie. I watched it and thought it was pretty good but why is everyone here acting like its the best movie ever? The story had some holes imo.

The movie is about Dreams. And Dreams within Dreams. Heck the ending could even suggest the entire movie was a Dream. Are dreams supposed to make absolute sense and have perfect logic? And whatever the case, I can't name a movie off the top of my had that didn't have an error or gap in logic in it somewhere.

it didnt make sense how they revived fisher after cobbs wife shot him. i thought he was supposed to get stuck in dream limbo

[quote name='wwe101']
it didnt make sense how they revived fisher after cobbs wife shot him. i thought he was supposed to get stuck in dream limbo
[/QUOTE]

this made me go hmmmm :whistle2:k as well.... Once he was shot, I was like that's it game over man...game over!!...wait wrong movie :p

[quote name='phantasyx']Shrike just gave me a excuse to go see it again, and in Imax

This will be a awesome blu ray, I don't normally buy any, but for this one it will be well worth it. Plus I want to see the behind the scenes and I could tell there were MANY deleted scenes, expecially to make this a PG13 movie.[/QUOTE]

was this movie filmed mostly in IMAX? I wasn't paying attention.
Could make an interesting blu-ray.

[quote name='wwe101']
[/QUOTE]

Adrienne finds Fischer in Limbo and takes him back to layer 3 where he meets his dying father in the "safe"--the deep subconsious of his mind--to complete the Inception. While there is danger in going into limbo, it's not an instant death sentence.

Pretty good movie. Probably a 9/10 for me. Memento, another movie of his, is prob in my top 5. This is another movie that I could watch over and over.

Ok, I have what is probably a really dumb question.

I always thought that Cobb's top was special in that in the real world, it would never stop spinning (or wouldn't for an extremely long time). Therefore, in a dream world, if it stopped spinning, he would know that he was in someone else's dream.

BUT, after reading online, everyone is stating the reverse. To me, this doesn't make sense. Why would a dreamer give a top the property of spinning endlessly?

[quote name='SoulReaver']Ok, I have what is probably a really dumb question.

I always thought that Cobb's top was special in that in the real world, it would never stop spinning (or wouldn't for an extremely long time). Therefore, in a dream world, if it stopped spinning, he would know that he was in someone else's dream.

BUT, after reading online, everyone is stating the reverse. To me, this doesn't make sense. Why would a dreamer give a top the property of spinning endlessly?
[/QUOTE]

Because you can't make the top spin endlessly in reality because there is real gravity and whatnot, so therefore the only way to differentiate between them is to give the in-dream top that ability. I think.

[quote name='kennistond']
Because you can't make the top spin endlessly in reality because there is real gravity and whatnot, so therefore the only way to differentiate between them is to give the in-dream top that ability. I think.
[/QUOTE]

I understand that a top will obviously fall in real life eventually.

BUT, then what makes the top special in real life? Arthur's dice is loaded so he knows how it feels and it is set to fall on a certain # every time.

It seems like Cobb's top is ordinary in reality and special in the dream world, which would make no sense. Why would the dreamer give the top the ability to spin endlessly?

saw it a second time and understand it a bit better.. it seemed like the movie was 30 minutes long the second time.

[quote name='SoulReaver']

BUT, then what makes the top special in real life? Arthur's dice is loaded so he knows how it feels and it is set to fall on a certain # every time.

It seems like Cobb's top is ordinary in reality and special in the dream world, which would make no sense. Why would the dreamer give the top the ability to spin endlessly?
[/QUOTE]

What the totem does isn't as important as it having some property that is ONLY identifiable by the owner. The weight/shape of the top is Cobb's way of telling if the top he's holding is his totem or another person's dream projection.

Being ordinary/special is secondary to the need for a totem to be unique to the owner. For Ariadne it was a chess piece with a specific weight (that coincidentally tipped over in a specific way but would still be unique in its weight). For Arthur it was the dice that were loaded in such a way that they would only give a specific number he knew about.

Basically, it all comes down to a totem being needed for a person to know it's their totem and not a projection in someone's mind. Whatever quality of the totem that achieves that is what it is there for.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
What the totem does isn't as important as it having some property that is ONLY identifiable by the owner. The weight/shape of the top is Cobb's way of telling if the top he's holding is his totem or another person's dream projection.

Being ordinary/special is secondary to the need for a totem to be unique to the owner. For Ariadne it was a chess piece with a specific weight (that coincidentally tipped over in a specific way but would still be unique in its weight). For Arthur it was the dice that were loaded in such a way that they would only give a specific number he knew about.

Basically, it all comes down to a totem being needed for a person to know it's their totem and not a projection in someone's mind. Whatever quality of the totem that achieves that is what it is there for.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, but the uniqueness of Cobb's totem was explained as being the spinning vs not spinning ability, not the weight/shape of the item. He never felt it in his hand or examined it to determine if it was his unique totem. He spun it. So, once again, why would a person whose mind he is in choose to give the top the ability to spin endlessly.

The only thing I could think of is, since intruders are able to manipulate the dream, perhaps Cobb manipulates the top to spin forever. If he is unable to do so, then he is in reality. Although I do not know if intruders of a dream can change properties or just manifest items (like in the warehouse where Eames manifests a grenade launcher).

I loved it. Didn't feel the need to pick at every potential plot hole and I didn't get lost with the story. Great movie.

Saw this today and loved it. Just read something on twitter and wondered if anyone else caught this because I obviously missed it.

Cobb only wore his wedding band in dream state. In the last scene, he had no wedding band on. True/ not true?

Okay, but the uniqueness of Cobb's totem was explained as being the spinning vs not spinning ability, not the weight/shape of the item. He never felt it in his hand or examined it to determine if it was his unique totem. He spun it. So, once again, why would a person whose mind he is in choose to give the top the ability to spin endlessly.

The only thing I could think of is, since intruders are able to manipulate the dream, perhaps Cobb manipulates the top to spin forever. If he is unable to do so, then he is in reality. Although I do not know if intruders of a dream can change properties or just manifest items (like in the warehouse where Eames manifests a grenade launcher).
[/QUOTE]

Think of it like an american quarter vs. a canadian quarter. If you pick up one of each without looking at them, having handled a majority of american quarters your entire life you're going to instantly know which one is "genuine."

Cobb did actually say when they were introducing totems that they need to have a unique shape or weight to them. Hence the reason Ariadne was hollowing out the chess piece later to lighten it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
Think of it like an american quarter vs. a canadian quarter. If you pick up one of each without looking at them, having handled a majority of american quarters your entire life you're going to instantly know which one is "genuine."

Cobb did actually say when they were introducing totems that they need to have a unique shape or weight to them. Hence the reason Ariadne was hollowing out the chess piece later to lighten it.
[/QUOTE]

......then what the hell is the point of even spinning the top if the shape/weight is what really matters.

why are we using spoilers lol. people should know better than to come into a thread all about the movie if they havent seen it yet.

......then what the hell is the point of even spinning the top if the shape/weight is what really matters.
[/QUOTE]

the point of totems is for the person to get a firm grip on reality and the dream world. Some totems are unique in their shape/weight, some are unique in their actions. Cobb's top spins, Arthur's die rolls to a certain number.. Ariadne's just has a certain shape or weight to it. At the beginning, Cobb throws the top down and has a gun in his hand. He cocks the gun, ready to shoot himself and wake up if it's a dream. The totem is the one truth that its user has. If someone else knows another person's totem's weight or shape, they can forge it and blur the lines of the dream world and real world for that person.

[quote name='Scorch']
the point of totems is for the person to get a firm grip on reality and the dream world. Some totems are unique in their shape/weight, some are unique in their actions. Cobb's top spins, Arthur's die rolls to a certain number.. Ariadne's just has a certain shape or weight to it. At the beginning, Cobb throws the top down and has a gun in his hand. He cocks the gun, ready to shoot himself and wake up if it's a dream. The totem is the one truth that its user has. If someone else knows another person's totem's weight or shape, they can forge it and blur the lines of the dream world and real world for that person.
[/QUOTE]

I understand all that already but yet my question still goes unanswered.

ahhhhhh. great movie though. I think I'm going to have to go and watch Memento again

[quote name='SoulReaver']I understand all that already but yet my question still goes unanswered[/QUOTE]

I answered it. Some totems have a unique weight/shape, some have unique attributes. The unique shape/weight is the primary concern, the attribute is the failsafe. Cobb and Arthur had failsafe attributes to their totems, Ariadne did not. I could be completely pulling this out of my ass, but I might be right. It makes sense to me, anyway.

I also was incorrect when I said that they never made any use of Ariadne's totem.. I saw her holding it in the airplane after they woke up.

[quote name='Scorch']
I answered it. Some totems have a unique weight/shape, some have unique attributes. The unique shape/weight is the primary concern, the attribute is the failsafe. Cobb and Arthur had failsafe attributes to their totems, Ariadne did not. I could be completely pulling this out of my ass, but I might be right. It makes sense to me, anyway.

I also was incorrect when I said that they never made any use of Ariadne's totem.. I saw her holding it in the airplane after they woke up.
[/QUOTE]

That helps a bit, but then tell me why in the dream world the dreamer would make the top spin endlessly? Does Cobb have control over the dream in changing properties, in this case, of gravity?

That helps a bit, but then tell me why in the dream world the dreamer would make the top spin endlessly? Does Cobb have control over the dream in changing properties, in this case, of gravity?
[/QUOTE]

I want to say that he has control over the top since it's his totem in the dream world since it's his and no one else's (acting as sort of an extension of him), but I don't know. Maybe it's as simple as there's really no rule of gravity in dreams. There's gravity, sure, but it doesn't always apply in the same way. I don't know. You really can't try to apply complete logic to a movie about dream invaders.

I am so glad that i'm not the only one that left the movie theater with haunting questions unanswered, this movie was truly magnificent and if you don't agree then why bother commenting on it saying it wasn't?

Well heres my take on the ending.

I actually am lost by the ending of this movie but I do have some interesting points to make that support the ending being a dream or reality. Also here is an answer for th person asking about totems "YOU know your totem's trick exactly so if you were in your own host dream then you could replicate it perfectly. It is only when you are in someone else's dream that your totem does not behave in it's trick form since that host cannot architect it so. This is why nobody knows the trick functionality of anyone else's totem!"

If it was a dream it would make sense because we are never certain that the entire movie wasn't a dream due to his wife holding the totem, children never aged even though he got a call from the them earlier in the movie with them sounding older, they were wearing the same clothes as before and at the same place in his dream

The only argument I have for the ending was the Cob's totem at the ending tipping over, and it did indeed fall over because if you did listen closely at the ending it wobbles proving the totem rule stated earlier original quote from Dileep Rao (Yusuf) "Close your eyes and listen to the sound at the end. I really do think the top wobbles and that it's real." Here's the link http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html
It also helps to answer a lot of questions check it out

I am so glad that i'm not the only one that left the movie theater with haunting questions unanswered, this movie was truly magnificent and if you don't agree then why bother commenting on it saying it wasn't?

I actually am lost by the ending of this movie but I do have some interesting points to make that support the ending being a dream or reality. Also here is an answer for th person asking about totems "YOU know your totem's trick exactly so if you were in your own host dream then you could replicate it perfectly. It is only when you are in someone else's dream that your totem does not behave in it's trick form since that host cannot architect it so. This is why nobody knows the trick functionality of anyone else's totem!"

If it was a dream it would make sense because we are never certain that the entire movie wasn't a dream due to his wife holding the totem, children never aged even though he got a call from them earlier in the movie with them sounding older, they were wearing the same clothes as before and at the same place in his dream.

The only argument I have for the ending was the Cob's totem behaving in the only way it would in reality because if you did listen closely at the ending it wobbles proving the totem rule stated earlier. Theres also a quote from Dileep Rao (Yusuf) "Close your eyes and listen to the sound at the end. I really do think the top wobbles and that it's real." It also helps to answer a lot of questions check it out here's the link http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html

[quote name='the8055']I am so glad that i'm not the only one that left the movie theater with haunting questions unanswered, this movie was truly magnificent and if you don't agree then why bother commenting on it saying it wasn't?

If it was a dream it would make sense because we are never certain that the entire movie wasn't a dream due to his wife holding the totem, children never aged even though he got a call from them earlier in the movie with them sounding older, they were wearing the same clothes as before and at the same place in his dream.

The only argument I have for the ending was the Cob's totem behaving in the only way it would in reality because if you did listen closely at the ending it wobbles proving the totem rule stated earlier. Theres also a quote from Dileep Rao (Yusuf) "Close your eyes and listen to the sound at the end. I really do think the top wobbles and that it's real." It also helps to answer a lot of questions check it out here's the link http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html
[/QUOTE]

after reading that article/interview, I think I understand and appreciate the movie sooooo much more than I already did. I feel like there was a whole new layer (innuendo intended) added to it. I plan on watching this again and buying it when it comes out.

[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, his top always falls to the same side in reality. That way he knows he is in reality. Or I could have just dreamed that myself.

Does Cobb have control over the dream in changing properties, in this case, of gravity?
[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah. He even pulls freight trains into them.

[quote name='ITDEFX']What's D-BOX about? None of the theaters in my area have them... I thought it was some sort of gimmick like IMAX/3d.[/QUOTE]Click on the link in my post and you'll see what I'm talking about.

In summary, the seats are motorized and move in time with certain sequences on-screen.

[/QUOTE]
Soulreaver! Thank god somebody else in the world noticed this!
It has been driving me crazy that not only does no one else notice how illogical Cobb's totem is, but that even after leading them by the nose to notice it they still don't understand it! And here you are having the same experience. No one else replying to you even understands that the totem is nonsensical. Ever since seeing the film I've been cursing it for this huge, glaring, illogical mistake smack dab in the center of the plot. How could Nolan have created such a convoluted, intricate logical construct of a movie and then hang the whole thing on an illogical nonsensical screw up? It's like he was daring us to notice that it didn't make sense. And then it struck me:

He is! It's not supposed to make sense! The nonsensical totem is the key that tells you it's all a dream! Remember the scene with Cobb and Ariadne in the French cafe where he says "Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange". That's the director daring us to realize after the movie (the dream) ends that the totem was actually strange. That we were in a dream!

This realization blew my mind. It made me instandtly go from cursing this film as a sloppy middlebrow action film to being in awe of it.

[quote name='Scorch']
I want to say that he has control over the top since it's his totem in the dream world since it's his and no one else's (acting as sort of an extension of him), but I don't know. Maybe it's as simple as there's really no rule of gravity in dreams. There's gravity, sure, but it doesn't always apply in the same way. I don't know. You really can't try to apply complete logic to a movie about dream invaders.
[/QUOTE]

I think it is more that anyone that puts him in the dream world doesn't necessarily know that he has the totem on him. However, SoulReaver does raise a good question, which was a point I think all of us took for granted, since the other totem's properties make more sense.

[quote name='mappo']Soulreaver! Thank god somebody else in the world noticed this!
It has been driving me crazy that not only does no one else notice how illogical Cobb's totem is, but that even after leading them by the nose to notice it they still don't understand it! And here you are having the same experience. No one else replying to you even understands that the totem is nonsensical. Ever since seeing the film I've been cursing it for this huge, glaring, illogical mistake smack dab in the center of the plot. How could Nolan have created such a convoluted, intricate logical construct of a movie and then hang the whole thing on an illogical nonsensical screw up? It's like he was daring us to notice that it didn't make sense. And then it struck me:

He is! It's not supposed to make sense! The nonsensical totem is the key that tells you it's all a dream! Remember the scene with Cobb and Ariadne in the French cafe where he says "Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange". That's the director daring us to realize after the movie (the dream) ends that the totem was actually strange. That we were in a dream!

This realization blew my mind. It made me instandtly go from cursing this film as a sloppy middlebrow action film to being in awe of it.
[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think you are going too far with your interpretation. There is just some intrinsic artistic beauty in Cobb's totem, which is why Nolan decided to go with that totem. Nolan could have easily went with a much simpler and more logical totem, but it wouldn't have that same artistic feel to it, and it would be impossible to convey the ambiguous ending with a logical totem.

[quote name='help1']
Honestly, I think you are going too far with your interpretation. There is just some intrinsic artistic beauty in Cobb's totem, which is why Nolan decided to go with that totem. Nolan could have easily went with a much simpler and more logical totem, but it wouldn't have that same artistic feel to it, and it would be impossible to convey the ambiguous ending with a logical totem.
[/QUOTE]
I could be, but I hope not because if I am then this movie is crap. You can't make a movie with this much internal logical structure and then completely disregard your own logic when constructing the most important object in the movie. Why should viewers bother trying to follow and decipher the ideas presented in the movie if the moviemaker himself didn't bother to follow them? I have to believe that it was done on purpose.

[quote name='mappo']I could be, but I hope not because if I am then this movie is crap. You can't make a movie with this much internal logical structure and then completely disregard your own logic when constructing the most important object in the movie. Why should viewers bother trying to follow and decipher the ideas presented in the movie if the moviemaker himself didn't bother to follow them? I have to believe that it was done on purpose.[/QUOTE]

Read the8055's post...he probably has had the best explanation of the spinning totem thus far.

bread's done
Back