The Inception Movie Thread-New Nolan Movie

[quote name='phantasyx']
I saw it again and it makes sense now, cobb is still dreaming because his kids are projections of what he remembered of them, he's been away from his kids for months but more likely years, whatever the case they look the exact same as he remembers and the movie ends before you can tell if the top fell or keeped spinning. He is also worried everytime he spins it but this time he doesn't care if its dream or reality.
[/QUOTE]

Going to have to disagree with this for a few reasons.
Ariadne first said that Cobb would be fine. She was right about everything else throughout the movie, I highly doubt they would choose the last scenes to make her wrong. Also, Cobb knew how to navigate through Limbo in order to find Saito, which is why Saito had aged(because he did not know he was dreaming) and Cobb was still the same age. Cobb knew once he found Saito, all he had to do was kill himself and saito in the dream to be woken up. (The same way he did with Mal regarding the train). If you remember the last scene in limbo was Saito holding the gun. Also, as people have said, in a dream, the totem would spin perfectly, however in the end, the totem wobbled as if it were going to fall.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Saw it again last night....more questions than answers the second time unfortunately...

How did Cobb get to Saito? Supposedly Cobb and Aridenne went to limbo to go to Fischer, which is where they met Mal, etc....how did Cobb end up back on the beach where he got picked up by Saito's men? And what the hell is that level, its supposedly 1 level below limbo....
[/QUOTE]
My take on that question
Fisher did not die (he was close to death but not dead) so he was essentially asleep (not in Limbo). Cobb and Juno connected the machine to themselves and to Fisher so they could follow him in the next dream state, the fourth which was Cobbs dream (the insanity of his dream proves why he can't be the dreamer anymore - overly Mal influenced) and also so Cobb could face Mal to end it once and for all. While there they needed to jump Fisher in sync with the jump from Dream state 3, falling in Dream 4 and being shocked in Dream 3.

Saito then died (in dream state 3) and went into Limbo. Cobb then had to go after him to save him. So when Mal stabbed Cobb it lead to his death and he went into Limbo connected to Saito (you always wash up on shore and forget reality) and brought a gun/totem to show Saito to remind both of them why he was really there. Which caused them both to question their reality, kill themselves and end up back on the plane.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']My take on that question
Fisher did not die (he was close to death but not dead) so he was essentially asleep (not in Limbo). Cobb and Juno connected the machine to themselves and to Fisher so they could follow him in the next dream state, the fourth which was Cobbs dream (the insanity of his dream proves why he can't be the dreamer anymore - overly Mal influenced) and also so Cobb could face Mal to end it once and for all. While there they needed to jump Fisher in sync with the jump from Dream state 3, falling in Dream 4 and being shocked in Dream 3.

Saito then died (in dream state 3) and went into Limbo. Cobb then had to go after him to save him. So when Mal stabbed Cobb it lead to his death and he went into Limbo connected to Saito (you always wash up on shore and forget reality) and brought a gun/totem to show Saito to remind both of them why he was really there. Which caused them both to question their reality, kill themselves and end up back on the plane.
[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought too...but I'm pretty sure when Aridienne is explaining to Eames and Cobb how to get to Fischer, she essentially says to follow Fischer into limbo, and she knows that they'll be able to get out because Cobbs has done it before...which he has. :(

The other thing is that the 4th layer (snow) is a little convoluted. In the hotel, before they go under, Cobb says he tricked Fischer into thinking we're going into Browning's mind, but they really go into Fischer's mind...but then when they get there, Cobb tells Eames to distract the guards because its Eames' dream?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']
That's what I thought too...but I'm pretty sure when Aridienne is explaining to Eames and Cobb how to get to Fischer, she essentially says to follow Fischer into limbo, and she knows that they'll be able to get out because Cobbs has done it before...which he has. :(

The other thing is that the 4th layer (snow) is a little convoluted. In the hotel, before they go under, Cobb says he tricked Fischer into thinking we're going into Browning's mind, but they really go into Fischer's mind...but then when they get there, Cobb tells Eames to distract the guards because its Eames' dream?
[/QUOTE]
In order to get into limbo you have to kill yourself and Aridienne never said anything about getting him from Limbo. And if she did then they didn't know that it was not limbo.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Eh, why would an invader manipulating the host's dream cause the totem's unique property to change?[/QUOTE]

Exactly, if someone was trying to manipulate you into thinking you were in the real world when you were in fact still in their dream (like the opening scene), you could still just check your trusty totem and its "hidden feature." If the feature was there, you know you're in your own dream creating it OR the real world, thus you are not being manipulated.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
In order to get into limbo you have to kill yourself and Aridienne never said anything about getting him from Limbo. And if she did then they didn't know that it was not limbo.
[/QUOTE]

Mmm...I'm pretty convinced she said to go into limbo. Why do you think Cobb was so eager to give up initially. Cobb thought Fischer was in limbo and thus unrecoverable...but Aridienne convinces him to go after him anyways.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Mmm...I'm pretty convinced she said to go into limbo. Why do you think Cobb was so eager to give up initially. Cobb thought Fischer was in limbo and thus unrecoverable...but Aridienne convinces him to go after him anyways.[/QUOTE]
Then
1. Where did Saito go? 2. Why was Cobbs Limbo in disrepair instead of how he left it 3. Can you enter a dream state and get into limbo? 4. Why did Cobb end up washed up on shore, not remember anything if he was already in limbo 5. Why didn't Aridienne just kill herself to get back to the plane 6. Why would Saito be older than Cobb?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Then
1. Where did Saito go? 2. Why was Cobbs Limbo in disrepair instead of how he left it 3. Can you enter a dream state and get into limbo? 4. Why did Cobb end up washed up on shore, not remember anything if he was already in limbo 5. Why didn't Aridienne just kill herself to get back to the plane 6. Why would Saito be older than Cobb?
[/QUOTE]

1. He went to limbo. They said early on that because of the sedation, if they were killed, they'd end up in limbo instead of waking up like normal.

2. Well, going by how Cobb explains at one point that limbo is 'architected' by people who have been there before, I would imagine that would mean there is only one limbo, not one per person. As for the disrepair, I believe they show at one point Cobb and Mal knocking over some of the buildings they created so maybe once they left it just got progressively worse?

3. This is the biggest question I have. Is limbo a place you can get directly from any of these dream states, or do you have to be sedated and then die in the dream? Because they never really explain exactly how Cobb and Mal got to limbo the first time, it's really unknowable.

4. This is also another question I have. If they were already in limbo, even if Saito was in a different part of limbo, why would he wash up on shore like that? If each person indeed has their own limbo, how did Cobb get to Saito's?

5. If you mean at the end, it's again because dying under sedation would take you to limbo (although apparently dying under sedation while in limbo takes you back to the dream world) so she had to get out of limbo and then ride the kicks back to reality.

6. Well, if limbo is a shared limbo, then the answer is pretty easy. Saito entered limbo well before Cobb and the girl went back in with Fischer. Because we already know that the deeper you go into dream levels, time moves exponentially faster and possibly even more so in limbo, it's a fair guess that while Saito might have enter limbo only 10-15 minutes before Cobb and the others did in the snow fortress dream, that 10-15 minutes could have been more like 20-30 years in limbo.

What I can't figure out is:

1. When the van went off the bridge Cobb and the others are already in level 3 of the dream (snow fortress), Eames and Cobb hear the music and then mention how they "missed the kick" because the kick came early and Arthur wasn't ready. Arthur, however was in the second level of the dream at that time (the hotel). Why wasn't he automatically kicked when the van went off the bridge? There was nothing preventing him getting kicked.

2. If the answer to getting out of limbo was to just get killed while in limbo, why is everybody rushing to complete the job before the second kick? Maybe the others wouldn't have known it, but Cobb would have known that was the case, making the whole time limit to finish the job completely arbitrary. They could have all gotten killed, gone to limbo, killed themselves, and then ended up back in reality.

Saw it last night. However, unless I missed something, there seems to be an inconsistency in the kicks:

In the beginning on the film we see Leo getting pushed into the bathtub to wake up from the dream in which he was stealing Saito's secrets. This was Leo getting kicked inside dream 1, to be removed from dream 2 and brought back up to dream 1. Therefore, you must be kicked one level of reality higher than the level you want to come up from.

However, towards the end, when Leo and Ellen Page are in the fourth layer of dreaming, Leo yells that there's no time and she needs to get Fisher. So, she kicks him off of the building, and then he wakes up in dream 3. This makes no sense, because his free fall was a kick in dream 4, to remove him from dream 4. Same with when Ellen Page jumps off of the building herself. A kick in dream4 to wake up from dream 4. It's inconsistent with the earlier kicks in the film.

[quote name='Rocko']Saw it last night. However, unless I missed something, there seems to be an inconsistency in the kicks:

In the beginning on the film we see Leo getting pushed into the bathtub to wake up from the dream in which he was stealing Saito's secrets. This was Leo getting kicked inside dream 1, to be removed from dream 2 and brought back up to dream 1. Therefore, you must be kicked one level of reality higher than the level you want to come up from.

However, towards the end, when Leo and Ellen Page are in the fourth layer of dreaming, Leo yells that there's no time and she needs to get Fisher. So, she kicks him off of the building, and then he wakes up in dream 3. This makes no sense, because his free fall was a kick in dream 4, to remove him from dream 4. Same with when Ellen Page jumps off of the building herself. A kick in dream4 to wake up from dream 4. It's inconsistent with the earlier kicks in the film.
[/QUOTE]

If I'm remembering right, since Cobb was the dreamer in that opening scene (or at least somewhat in control of the dream), dunking him in water had the effect of filling the big room in the second dream with water. Thus, the room flooding in the second dream would have woken him from it, not being dropped in water in the first, keeping consistent with the later scenes.

Saw it last night in IMAX. Fantastic movie. A movie that makes you think; also one that makes you talk about it the next day trying to fully figure out all the events and happenings.

Thanks Nolan for making me believe intelligence still exists in the screenwriting process.

Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy Transformers: RotF in IMAX as well, it was a good mindless action movie but it was nice to think during a movie. Inception did that.

Christopher Nolan has yet to disappoint. And his hatred for 3D makes me love the dude even more. Glad to finally be able to see a movie in IMAX without two pairs of glasses.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Then
[/QUOTE]

1. Exactly my question.

2. My guess is that so much time had passed in the time he had been gone, everything had gone to shit, he may have been gone for a couple years, but in that limbo time, that's probably hundreds, if not thousands of years....EXCEPT for their house where he found Mal, where I'm guessing his subconcious had kept intact BECAUSE of the memory of Mal.

3. Isn't that the idea of limbo? You get into such a heavily sedated dream state, where if you kill yourself, you end up in limbo.

4. Another question I have.

5. It was never really explained earlier in the film how Cobb and Mal had gotten into limbo, so yeah, I don't know.

6. In each deeper level, the ratio between real time vs. dream time accelerates exponentially. While in film time Saito may have only been in limbo for 15 minutes, it was 30 - 40 years in his limbo time.

[quote name='Magus8472']
If I'm remembering right, since Cobb was the dreamer in that opening scene (or at least somewhat in control of the dream), dunking him in water had the effect of filling the big room in the second dream with water. Thus, the room flooding in the second dream would have woken him from it, not being dropped in water in the first, keeping consistent with the later scenes.
[/QUOTE]
But the water wasn't what woke him up, it's the effect of falling. As mentioned in the middle of the film, the chemist's strong sedative specifically leaves the inner ear functioning as normal, so the feeling of falling in a dream will still register and wake up the person. That's why they dropped Joseph Gordon-Levitt so many times- to test the effect of the kick under the sedative. They dropped his chair in the real world to make him come out of the dream, in line with the beginning of the film where they drop Leo into the bath to get him out of the dream.

[quote name='Rocko']
But the water wasn't what woke him up, it's the effect of falling. As mentioned in the middle of the film, the chemist's strong sedative specifically leaves the inner ear functioning as normal, so the feeling of falling in a dream will still register and wake up the person. That's why they dropped Joseph Gordon-Levitt so many times- to test the effect of the kick under the sedative. They dropped his chair in the real world to make him come out of the dream, in line with the beginning of the film where they drop Leo into the bath to get him out of the dream.
[/QUOTE]

Well actually in the opening sequence, or The Cobol Job, I think it actually was the water that woke Cobb up. Otherwise he would have woken up before we see the building he was in in the dream begin to fill with water.

[quote name='Rocko']Saw it last night. However, unless I missed something, there seems to be an inconsistency in the kicks:

[/QUOTE]

Again, they didn't really explain enough about limbo to be sure, but I guess we are meant to assume that if you die in limbo, you return to whatever dream you had been in. I would assume then that Fischer and Ellen Page got out technically from smacking into the ground and the bottom of that tower and dying in limbo rather than the sense of falling because according to Cobb it seems like the only way to get out of limbo is to die there.

[quote name='graf1k']
Well actually in the opening sequence, or The Cobol Job, I think it actually was the water that woke Cobb up. Otherwise he would have woken up before we see the building he was in in the dream begin to fill with water.

Again, they didn't really explain enough about limbo to be sure, but I guess we are meant to assume that if you die in limbo, you return to whatever dream you had been in. I would assume then that Fischer and Ellen Page got out technically from smacking into the ground and the bottom of that tower and dying in limbo rather than the sense of falling because according to Cobb it seems like the only way to get out of limbo is to die there.
[/QUOTE]
That does make sense, which then means that the whole sequence where they drop Gordon-Levitt is out of place. I don't know, something just seems off about that whole aspect.

Ah, I didn't consider that. That makes sense, since that's how Cobb and Mal got out of Limbo. However, that makes me wonder why Limbo is so super-serious. Just kill yourself to get out.

Regarding the kicks -

In the beginning, Nash's projections (the first dream world was Nash's, the second was Saito's. I think this dream is the reason why Cobb mentions not to use real world locations, since Saito picked up on the carpet made of different threads) were getting angry for changing the dream and were beginning to storm the building. Meanwhile, in level 2, things headed south - Arthur had been killed and woken up early, and Saito had woken up into dream 1 and grabbed a gun. The original architect, needing to wake Cobb up, improvised and dunked him in water, causing the place to fill up with water and kill Cobb, who woke up into dream 1. They did have an exit plan, but they had to improvise.

The problem with Limbo is that you're so far into the dream world that you can no longer tell you're dreaming and thus are in danger of never waking up. Also, when you are in limbo and heavily sedated with different drugs, never waking up runs the risk of brain damage (your brain turning to mush).

Because I know some of you were curious (or maybe Linkin wants to set it as his ringtone or the song his phone plays when the alarm goes off in the morning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88

[quote name='Rocko']
Ah, I didn't consider that. That makes sense, since that's how Cobb and Mal got out of Limbo. However, that makes me wonder why Limbo is so super-serious. Just kill yourself to get out.
[/QUOTE]

Because the whole problem with Limbo is that you don't know you are in it. That's why the beginning/end of the movie is Cobb assuming it is reality and only when he and Saito meet, then see the top/spin do they realize they are stuck in a dream. Then Saito reaches for the gun.

Because the whole problem with Limbo is that you don't know you are in it. That's why the beginning/end of the movie is Cobb assuming it is reality and only when he and Saito meet, then see the top/spin do they realize they are stuck in a dream. Then Saito reaches for the gun.
[/QUOTE]
So how did Cobb know he was in Limbo with Mal(leading him to plant the idea that it was not the real world, and have them die by train)?

[quote name='Rocko']
So how did Cobb know he was in Limbo with Mal(leading him to plant the idea that it was not the real world, and have them die by train)?
[/QUOTE]

He knew because he and Mal were constantly building the world to their desire but he never lost sight of the whole concept behind inception. After they awoke from their dreams, Cobb would be "normal" but Mal's perception between "reality" and dreams were blurring together. Cobb noticed this and that's when he experimented with the idea of planting an idea in limbo.

If you remember, Mal locked away the metal spinning top because she wanted limbo to be her life, but Cobb probably still kept some sort of constant so he could maintain his bearings.

If anything, what I first took from watching the movie (today) was that chasing and bending dreams was like getting high off a drug. People live through dreams to escape from their "real" life ie. the opium den-esque scene when they first introduce the 10 hour sedative.

I loved the ending, really keeps you guessing: like, was the whole movie a dream?; does the top keep spinning (another dream)?; does it drop?

Watched Salt right after.. what a shit show of a movie.. save your hard earned money, folks.

saw it last night, a fantastic movie. like everyone else we talked about the ending after, and people debated whether it was real or not. and i said, which i still think, it doenst matter if it was real or not because in the end cobb was able to let go of his guilt and be happy.

I don't believe this has been posted yet, but might help people make a little more sense of the movie:

Inception_Infographic_by_dehahs.jpg

[quote name='bornrunnin31']I don't believe this has been posted yet, but might help people make a little more sense of the movie:

[/QUOTE]

See! I said it was Cobbs dream not limbo! Right o' chap!

See! I said it was Cobbs dream not limbo! Right o' chap!
[/QUOTE]

:( I'm still convinced Ellen Page's character says limbo.

I think they're just making a reference to games so that they can qualify it as a VG blog post and incite discussion about an awesome movie. Ambiguous endings have existed long before video games. I don't agree with comparing ambiguous endings to choosing your own ending like in Mass Effect because Mass Effect's endings are different sure but they're definitive. You can't really go back and think about a Mass Effect ending and question whether it happened the way you thought it did because they're not intended to be ambiguous. Some games do have ambiguous endings but I think Mass Effect is a bad example as it's a game designed to have a satisfying ending in just one play-through. Braid would have been a better example me thinks.

Also crazy Inception infograph:

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it tonight, completely loved it. Just a great movie on every front from plot, to pacing, to acting, to cinematography to score.

Cemented Nolan's place as my favorite director and DiCaprio as my favorite actor of his and my generation.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Is this out on blu-ray yet?????[/QUOTE]

On certain street corners it is... ;)

[quote name='bornrunnin31']I don't believe this has been posted yet, but might help people make a little more sense of the movie:

[/QUOTE]

oh fuck that...makes it even more confusing.

Saw it last night, loved it. I had high expectations going in but they were met and maybe even exceeded. I loved the ending too, I know there has been a lot of discussion about that. I have seen 5 Nolan movies now and I have to say he is definitely one of if not my favorite directors going today. Most of his movies always seem to make you think and discuss your take on the movie afterwords with others. Obviously Inception is no different. I don't buy many Blu-rays nowadays but this shit is day 1 for me.

Inception - Never was there a point that I felt the movie was dragging at all, it had excellent pacing. Well acted, looked beautiful, sounded great and kept me on the edge of my seat. I can already tell I will be thinking about this one for awhile. Definitely a day one purchase on Blu-ray for me also!!!

[quote name='Scorch']The ending isn't up for debate -
It was reality. In the dreams, his totem spun perfectly, never tilting. At the end, his totem wobbled.
[/QUOTE]

Just saw it last night and we were arguing about this. I think the point is that it's impossible to tell. The totem was starting to topple, unlike it a dream, but it was also spinning too long and too well to be reality.

Overall, a great movie. I might actually get this on Blu-Ray when it comes out. The only real complaint I have about the movie is that it wasn't long enough. (I know, crazy right?) Nolan had so many plots and sub-plots and things to explain in the movie that he kind of rushed over a few parts of it. Nothing that made it impossible to understand, but I think that if he had a little more time, he could have gone a bit more in depth into some of the details.

[quote name='DestroVega']not interesting, but rather, the definitive post.

That is the whole movie in a nutshell, and I always thought
it was reality, you even hear the totem spin to a fall in the audio, even though you don't see it when the screen goes black
[/QUOTE]

I also thought it was reality, but to me, the post is more interesting in regards to the totem...the spinning top doesn't seem to be Cobb's totem, as it used to be Mals, instead his totem is his wedding ring.

thnx 4 interesting link )
as for the movie itself, Inception has just warped my brains!!

-------------------

free gay chat online

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the greatest movies over this year. the Ending had me at the tip of the chair chanting to my self

bread's done
Back