The Inclusive 4GB SD Card Workaround Solution for Wii!

[quote name='Nithorias']Wow thanks a lot man :applause:, sorry for all this trouble lol, and the reason I couldnt buy it from newegg its cuz of the shipping since I dont live in the US, but anyway I will try either amazon or ebay to buy it.. once again thanks!!! I'll let ya know if it works when I recieve it and do the hack.[/quote]

Liar.:lol:

You wrote: 1st, take your current Wii Card and make a copy of it on your computer. Then, drag that folder to the 4GB card to copy. Then go into my computer, right-click the SD card, select properties, and keep your eye on the free memory.

What do you mean when you say Wii card? And do you need a 2 gb sd card when you do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Petti']You wrote: 1st, take your current Wii Card and make a copy of it on your computer. Then, drag that folder to the 4GB card to copy. Then go into my computer, right-click the SD card, select properties, and keep your eye on the free memory.

What do you mean when you say Wii card? And do you need a 2 gb sd card when you do this?[/quote]
I don't think you need another card - you just need to fill it up with stuff to the point where the free space is under 2GB.

But what do he mean with "take your current Wii Card"? What kind of card is that? Please help me, I want to get a good AC town :'(

[quote name='Petti']But what do he mean with "take your current Wii Card"? What kind of card is that? Please help me, I want to get a good AC town :'([/quote]
#1, I just explained it, and #2 what the heck does this have to do with "getting a good AC town?"

He meant if you have an SD card that you're using already, copy that stuff to the 4GB card. If you don't have one then you have to fill it up with stuff until there's less than 2GB of free space left. The Wii will not read it otherwise.

Ok, Thanks! That was all i wanted to hear, and I meant that I could hack a good AC town if I got homebrew channel.

Do I need to use the SD card program too? I filled the SD card to under 2 gb, but i doesn't work on the Wii, but I didn't use the SD formater...

So, I bought a similar card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208086

The formatting program won't recognize it to format it. Is this card not usable? Also, although it's supposed to be a 4GB card, Windows lists it as being 1.99 in size. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or if my card reader isn't reading it properly. Any help would be much appreciated.

I just tried using the card on the Wii. Without having used the formatting tool, the Wii is reading the card and I can successfully save data onto it. So... I'm pretty sure I got ripped off with this card as it's actually only a 2GB.

is there any other .. solution for it. ??

03fa2f7502f5f6b9169e67d17cbf51bb.gif

[quote name='Ireland914']So, I bought a similar card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208086

The formatting program won't recognize it to format it. Is this card not usable? Also, although it's supposed to be a 4GB card, Windows lists it as being 1.99 in size. I'm not sure if that's a mistake or if my card reader isn't reading it properly. Any help would be much appreciated.

I just tried using the card on the Wii. Without having used the formatting tool, the Wii is reading the card and I can successfully save data onto it. So... I'm pretty sure I got ripped off with this card as it's actually only a 2GB.[/quote]

I would try a newer card reader. I had a 4GB card once that I thought I got gipped on...turned out my card reader wasn't new enough. Give it a shot!

Also, while I'm pretty sure that card should work, I can only vouch for the card that is linked in the OP, as it is the only that myself and others can vouch for 100%. If you do get your card working, post about it so I can add it to the OP.:cool:

Okay, actually all I have for a card reader is a digital camera. Maybe the camera can only read up to 2 gigs? I'll see about getting an actual card reader and see what happens. I'll let you know if the card is good after all. The reason I think I actually was ripped off is because the Wii instantly recognized it without requiring the workaround.

Can someone confirm that you are actually able to have over 2GB of Wii data on the card and the Wii will still write to it?

I recently bought the card in the OP, and have it working on my Wii, so thankx for the guide & info!

But I'm still curious to know if anyone has actually past the 2GB limit with Wii data.

My thinking is that there is still a chance that the Wii will stop writing to the card after it has 2GB of Wii data on it.

Sorry if this has been answered already, I read through most of the 8 pages here, but I could have missed it.

Thankx!

Thanks for the thread Knoxx. I just ordered the card, gonna give it a shot next week when I get it. This is invaluable for anyone playing Rock Band as we are fastly approaching the 2gig DLC limit. I can't bear switching out SD cards when someone wants to play randomsong_155.

If Homebrew has an SDHC solution, how hard can it be for Nintendo to have one? Not taking away the genius of your idea, but unfortunately, 4gig only buys me 4-6 months before I fill it up with songs. You working on the SDHC non hack solution yet Knoxx? :D

MacGuyver said he could do it with a paperclip and some duct tape.

I wonder if the sd card update is coming.... March is almost over.. Two Mondays for them to get the update out..

[quote name='rocky435']I wonder if the sd card update is coming.... March is almost over.. Two Mondays for them to get the update out..[/quote]

Not really. They said "Spring". Spring doesn't end until the last day of May.:cool:

I'm sad to say I couldn't make this work. The Wii still says that the device in the SD card slot can't be used, even after the formatting. Could the problem be the type of card? I'm using a 4GB Kingston SD card.

edit: Just read that this doesn't work with SDHC cards. :cry:

Looks like my job, and this thread, are finished thanks to Nintendo as of this am, 25 March 2009.

Thanks for playing everyone...and rejoice that SHIT IS EASY NOW!!!

Oh, and erase your dummy files everyone...you won't need them anymore.:cool:

"The Wii can now handle high capacity SD cards" so you're no longer limited to 2GB. The Wii Shop channel is also getting updated so you can download content direct to and SD card. That will mean less shuffling between menus.

Let's give Knox a big hand though, folks!

*kicks him off the stage, I'm tired of airplane food jokes*

[quote name='Knoxximus']Looks like my job, and this thread, are finished thanks to Nintendo as of this am, 25 March 2009.

Thanks for playing everyone...and rejoice that SHIT IS EASY NOW!!!

Oh, and erase your dummy files everyone...you won't need them anymore.:cool:[/quote]

[quote name='Strell']Let's give Knox a big hand though, folks!

*kicks him off the stage, I'm tired of airplane food jokes*[/quote]

Links to the article about this or is there one?

Either way , at least we are halfway there. If they can allow running of VC/WiiWare games off of an SD card then we will really be in business.

Edit: Scratch that , I just had to check the main wii forum. Nevermind.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Links to the article about this or is there one?

Either way , at least we are halfway there. If they can allow running of VC/WiiWare games off of an SD card then we will really be in business.[/QUOTE]

Oh, but we can. Yer so 19 minutes ago.

This is all being revealed right now from Iwata's GDC Keynote.

Save to SD card, run from SD card - an actual solution.

Peep this thread.

[quote name='Strell']Oh, but we can. Yer so 19 minutes ago.

This is all being revealed right now from Iwata's GDC Keynote.

Save to SD card, run from SD card - an actual solution.

Peep this thread.[/quote]

Like I mentioned in my edit , I saw all the threads about it right after I posted my original message. The running games off the SD card bit was a legit surprise though.

Now I really need to get my wii working again.

Word on the street (okay, the Rock Band forums) is that SDHC is incompatible with older games (Rock Band 2), and thus the update does absolutely nothing for aspiring DLC whores. One guy even said that the update broke his capability to use his 4GB card.

My card is fine though, hahahahahah I win

[quote name='XorpheusX']Word on the street (okay, the Rock Band forums) is that SDHC is incompatible with older games (Rock Band 2), and thus the update does absolutely nothing for aspiring DLC whores. One guy even said that the update broke his capability to use his 4GB card.

My card is fine though, hahahahahah I win[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. I wonder if Nintendo will address that.

Welp, looks like I spoke too soon....

http://gonintendo.com/?p=76927#comments

No SDHC support for Wii titles

Having a storage solution for your WiiWare/VC/VC Arcade games is absolutely fantastic, isn’t it? This is something we should have had from day one, but at least we finally got it! Too bad we can’t use these same SDHC cards for our Wii titles. Games like Animal Crossing: City Folk still see the SDHC card as an unknown device, so no luck there. Oh well, you can’t always get everything you want.

THE PARTY IS STILL ON, FOLKS!!!

[quote name='Ireland914']Sooo... does this workaround still work or is my 4GB card useless for Rockband DLC now?[/quote]
I believe it does - I was just talking about the new SDHC storage system.

So what were the features in Smash Bros and Animal Crossing? Can't you just use the Wii ineternal memory for those two particular games and use the sdhc for everything else?

[quote name='Purkeynator']So what were the features in Smash Bros and Animal Crossing? Can't you just use the Wii ineternal memory for those two particular games and use the sdhc for everything else?[/QUOTE]

In Animal Crossing you can save pictures to the SD card. I don't think there is anything else, but we use that capability frequently as you can otherwise only take one picture.

Now I'm glad I didn't buy an SDHC card. Maybe a future firmware update could bring compatibility for older games, but who knows. They could do this by... supporting patches! Then the games could be patched to support SDHC and all would be well. If you've got tons of space on an SDHC card and those patches can be stored there, then all will be right with the world. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It seems like patches should be doable - code is stored on SD (or internal) and is loaded when the game is loaded.

[quote name='Kindrik']I'm one of those guys. Things were working fine for me before the update but now while the card works fine with the SD Card Menu I can't play any of my DLC from GH or RB2. :cry:

EDIT: http://www.wiiloaded.com/Rumor-User-Created-SD-Card-Fix-Blocked-With-New-Firmware-t-18114-wii
[/quote]

Nice writeup...you coulda shouted me out you know.;)

So, from your findings, are you saying that maybe the new workaround would be to have one card JUST for DLC (i.e. Rock Band 1/2, GH), and then ANOTHER card for VC/Wiiware? Would that circumvent this problem?

My 4GB solution worked all the way upto today when my wife powered down the surge protector it was plugged into. I load the game up, and now SD card not detected. I will start troubleshooting this on the weekend. Not sure if the loss of power during gameplay zapped the card or something yet. I hate doing the format, but will even do that again if needed. DL'ing 100+ songs will take awhile again :(

The firmware upgrade didn't effect my capability of using the 4GB solution. Unless a complete power off has something to do with the SD slot resetting or something. If I am back to 2GB, my DL content will be so picky....switching cards out is an absolute pain in the ass.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the useful information.

An empty 4GB card reads as 3.72 or so GB. After copyng the existing Wii data to it (544 MB), 3.20 GB's of free space exists. If you were to insert the card now, you would SEE your Wii data, but would be unable in transfer anything to the SD from the Wii. You can only go one way...from the SD to the Wii.

[quote name='crunchewy']In Animal Crossing you can save pictures to the SD card. I don't think there is anything else, but we use that capability frequently as you can otherwise only take one picture.

Now I'm glad I didn't buy an SDHC card. Maybe a future firmware update could bring compatibility for older games, but who knows. They could do this by... supporting patches! Then the games could be patched to support SDHC and all would be well. If you've got tons of space on an SDHC card and those patches can be stored there, then all will be right with the world. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It seems like patches should be doable - code is stored on SD (or internal) and is loaded when the game is loaded.[/quote]you want Nintendo to allow patches and allow the patches to be stored on a the SD card? Dude that wouldn't fly back in the gamecube days.

Help I think something went wrong when I used the SD formatter. At first it said I had 3.7 GB free, then when I formatted it, it went down to 900 MB. I don't know what happened and nothing happened when I tried formatting it again.

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.

Hi,

I recently purchased a 4GB non-SDHC card from Newegg so I could get more Rock Band songs. Following all the instructions, without any dummy files my SD card has about 1.8 GB free. Rock Band refused to recognize it, saying 'this SD Card cannot be used. SD Card mode disabled.'

I tried many different things to get it to work; I did it from scratch with a long format twice, I tried using it with only 2GB of dummy files, I tried it without the .loc files after I saw the thread a few posts up, but it would still give me a 'cannot be used' error. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you trying to do the 4GB hack because you are running one of those home brew programs and don't want to update?

I just copied from the 2GB to the computer, and then the computer to the 4GB. But this may not be right, seeing all the problems I'm having with this.

[quote name='InvaderZim']How do you even copy Wii data/games from one card to another (2gb to 4gb)?
cagus.smile.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I reckon copy/paste wont do will it.

I am having a problem very similar to what llamaaction described.

I have been using the 4GB workaround for several months without any significant issues. But yesterday, after downloading a song in RB2, the system indicated that there was no more space on the SD card. I figured no problem, I would just delete one of the dummy files I was using to pad the card. However, when I restarted RB2, it indicated that the SD card was unuseable, and that the SD mode was disabled. I figured that perhaps when it ran out of space during the download/transfer that something happened to make the card unreadable. I have tried low level formatting with SDFormatter numerous times, with no luck. The Wii itself is fine with the card and can read and transfer information to it. But RB2 won't, even when there is less than 1.99 GB free.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Hey knoxx,
thanks for excellent info about transend data card of 4gb.if want 2gb data card is there
avaiable for this game.and i will easly trasnfer the data from another cards .also i want
to know that it can be use for mobile game purpose.

Thanks.

bread's done
Back